[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats Canada Really like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

File: sorry.png (3KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
sorry.png
3KB, 204x204px
Wanting to move to Canada after I've finished uni here in Scotland. No clue what it's really like though other than america without having to be in/ deal with america stuff. What's it like day to day?
>>
File: 1483807961889.gif (408KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
1483807961889.gif
408KB, 500x345px
also very interested. American with BFA looking to acquire MFA
>>
>>1217429
What do you mean what is it like? Its cold in the winter, there's very little culture, if you don't want to work in a blue collar industry you will have to live in GTA or Vancouver. But it's a beautiful country, and people and nice. I dunno what else to say.
>>
>>1217433
like i see it as a lovely place with good wildlife and all that. No cunty politicians more laid back etc. I've got the tourist stereotype, whats canada really like to live in
>>
>>1217434
It's a pretty huge place, where are you looking to go? I'll agree with >>1217433 that there isn't a ton of culture but I still think you'd get a pretty different experience depending on the part of the country you choose. If you want to live in a city that isn't expensive as shit, might want to consider Calgary. Not as pretty as Vancouver or as interesting as Toronto but there's still shit there and you won't blow all your money on rent.
>>
cons
>huge amount of taxes (the same pack of cigarettes which cost you 3$ in the states will be 10$ in Canada)
>high corruption
>immigrants on the rise
>winters are shit
>people are very stressed

pros
>safe
>welfare and shit in case you hurt or whatever
>has decent outdoors (but you need to have a car because you need to drive away from the cities)

Would I recommend Canada? It depends on your situation, really. But Canada is falling and isn't what it used to be
>>
>>1217451
>3$
>not $3

what
>>
>>1217451
>high corruption
Not anything you'll experience in your day to day life. "Hurrp, premier is charging cash for access" is shit all compared to most of the world.
>immigrants on the rise
...For the last century. There is no immigrant crisis in Canada, we're not near any third world countries. As a result, immigrants here are among the best integrated of anywhere in the western world. Before the /pol/tard comes back, I'll say, of course there are issues, but we're better off than the States in this regard. Calais it ain't.

Rest are pretty true though. If you're outdoorsy there's lots to do. If not... Find a city.
>>
>>1217458
?
I'm saying that a pack of cigarettes bought in the US, with US dollars, will end up costing you 3$ CDN. That same pack will be selling for 10$ CDN in Canada.
Same with alcohol and pretty much everything
>>
>>1217462
anon you've got it the wrong way around

it's not 3$

it's $3
>>
I'm going to say this as an outsider. I vacation every year in Canada. I almost bought a house near where I vacation in New Brunswick. I was actually talked out of it by a local who was vacationing in my town NYC. It's fun in August when I go there but f that in winter. Also long term the country looks like! they are hell bent on going Euro style with Islam like a death spiral. If you are coming for a new upbeat life I'm not sure how that will work outside the major metropolitan areas. I love Canada for its abundance of wild nature but I'm wondering what will happen in the long run considering their immigration policies which seem to be dismissing their strict checks vs a open arms damm the future policies.
I had a 200 thousand budget for a vacation home that I now will look into investing somewhere else 50 % was weather the other though was worried about sky high taxes due to the government incurring massive debt due to increased spending
>>
And trust me I love my Canada vacation. I take one week off where everyone knows I'm unavailable and that's for me and my family to go to Canada. No cellphone no computer s just nature. I love you Canada
>>
Vancouver:
nice if you like asians. I know this gets memed on all the time but it really is a nice city with great chinese and japanese food. in terms of climate its endlessly rainy for most of fall through spring with dry bits in the high winter. Its cold compared to a lot of the US but still much better than most of Canada. The millennial culture is pretty west coast in general; chill, weed heavy, and a bit of hippy influences here and there and a few hipsters from the island. Many good music festivals to see when it warms in the summer. All in all a cozy place to live. The rest of BC is great if you like the outdoors. Hiking and camping is all great if you dont getting wet
>>
>>1217460
>There is no immigrant crisis in Canada
Canada has taken in so many immigrants it's now on course to become minority white within a few decades, just like the US. Vancouver is a Chinese city at this point, and there's no way you'll ever be able to afford a house. Pull your head out of your ass for a few seconds.
>>
Everything east of Montreal is poor as shit
There's no jobs in Atlantic Canada
Mass influx of refugees
Shit weather

That's all you need to know really
>>
>>1217451
>>1217458
>>1217462
>>1217463

Where is this $3 shit from? cheapest pack of cigs at any store in pa is at least $6-$7 and some change.
>>
>>1217429

Canada is extremely different depending on what area you're talking about.

The Far North (Nunavut, the Yukon, the Northwest territories:
>Cold
>Beautiful landscape
>Almost no one lives there
>Everything is expensive because it has to be shipped in
>You get paid a LOT for living there.... Being a fry cook in Nunavut, for example, can net you $25 an hour

Atlantic Canada (Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick):

>Beautiful landscape
>Friendly people
>Bad economy with few jobs

Quebec:

>Beautiful landscape
>French speaking
>Friendly to you if you at least make an attempt to speak French
>Montreal is, by far, the most interesting city to live in in Canada.
>Decent economy and job opportunities in Montreal, but most require you to speak both French and English

Ontario:

>Strongest economy in Canada exists in the greater Toronto area, especially for white collar workers
>Ontario is rather boring, however. There simply isn't much to do in Toronto compared to similarly sized large cities like Montreal or Vancouver

The Prairies (Manitoba and Saskatchewan):

>Beautiful landscape but freezing cold winters
>Friendly people
>Very, very agricultural. I don't know much about the economy here for non-farmers

Alberta:

>Economic powerhouse for working class people due to the oil industry
>Beautiful landscape, friendly people

British Columbia:

>The warmest province (it often doesn't get cold enough to snow in Winter in Vancouver)
>Extremely expensive to live in
>People are unfriendly
>Lots of culture and things to do

Feel free to ask me specific questions, OP.
>>
>>1217584
>Mass influx of refugees
Not to defend the rapefugees but it's far from mass influx.
>>
>>1217608
Not yet, wait until Spring comes, we are fucked.
>>
>>1217604
Only good post ITT, but I'd add that Ontario actually has some stuff to do if you enjoy hiking and seeing small Victorian aged towns. If you're into that sort of thing, southern Ontario will have lots of that.
>>
>>1217543
Yeah, the housing is fucked but Christy has been happy to let that keep happening for those fatty surpluses. Until before an election, of course.

Also:
>Canada has taken in so many immigrants it's now on course to become minority white within a few decades
Implying that's a problem. Also, only true in cities. Back to /pol/, faggot.
>>
>>1217429
Expect cold weather and lots of snow.
>>
>>1217671
Yeah, I'm white but that's cool. Maybe try convincing white people to have kids if you care so much. I'm not interested in shouldering a bigger share of boomers' healthcare costs than I already have to. If that means bringing in Indians and Chinese, open the floodgates.
>>
>>1217429
if you move to anywhere thats not the coast it will be like -4000 degrees and unlivable half the year

coast is better but it rains like 300 days a year

if you move to a big city it will be filled with chinks, sandniggers, and indians who make no effort to speak english, litter everywhere, cant drive, and drive up housing prices until a crack slum is over 1m

if you move to a small town make sure there is no reserve and not too many natives

alberta and bc are the only provinces that have jobs

expect to get taxed out the ass to pay for refugees, welfare, 200000$ a year to every teepeenigger in the country and other dumb liberal bullshit

the "friendly canadian" thing is just a meme for tourist, nobody here is friendly

this country is a hellhole and im moving as soon as i can. the only real upside is that its huge and lots of nice places to go hiking and do outdoor shit.

i dont know why you wouldnt just move to a northern state of the us. more jobs, better dollar, less immigrants.
>>
>make 25$/h
>25 x 80 = 2000$ bi-monthly
>after taxes, union fees and insurance, my net pay is 1200$

Fuck this shit
>>
>>1217806
good riddance
>>
>>1217843
lol enjoy mr weng ping and trudeau raping your wallet while abdullah rapes your wife

ill be living like a king in eastern europe
>>
Fuck off we're full.
>>
>>1217604
>Alberta:

>Economic powerhouse for working class people due to the oil industry

Maybe 3-4 years ago.
>>
>>1217543
People who meme about Vancouver's prices and ethnic makeup are retarded and have only left Winnipeg to visit their Papa in the home at Strathclaire. Vancouver is no worse than any other Tier 2 city for those things, it's just that it's the only T2 city in western Canada.
>>
>>1217864
Calgary and Edmonton are still pretty strong if you do good work. The only people getting fucked are the ones who would have never been given jobs in the first place if the oil boom wasn't so fucking crazy.
>>
>>1217873
>Vancouver is no worse than any other Tier 2 city for those things

ok? toronto is a shitskin shithole too, everybody knows that already lol
>>
>>1217878
I'm talking outside of Canada. Look at places like Seattle, or Atlanta, or any of the major Euro cities.
>>
>>1217806

wew lad, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

but thanks for weeding yourself out of Canada.
>>
>>1217429
Canada is shit, don't bother. Internet prices are retarded due to monopolies and the speeds are shit, our prime minister is a drama teacher with le current year meme engraved in his forehead, the only good thing is that university is pretty cheap.
>>
>>1217933
none of that pertains to traveling there, it's still a fun place to go drinking
>>
>>1217806
Torontonian detected.

St Catharines master race reporting in. 90% white, everyone is super friendly, average house is below 300k, "ethnic" means "Italian", 80% of the town is in church Sunday morning, no faggots, crime non existent. Just check the demographics before you move and avoid anywhere less than 80% white. Plenty of chill, friendly places to live in Canada that aren't infested with shitskins.

He's right about natives though, their crime is so random and unprovoked in nature it's terrifying. Literally they make refugees seem calculated, natives will pull up in a car and beat someone to death with absolutely no provocation. Stay well away, they're nuts.
>>
You described it really well. It's like living in america but without all the American bullshit. Our politics are a lot less sensationalized and laid back. You could probably describe canada as as more laid back America. We're the second largest country, but only have around 35 million people. So there's a lot of empty space. I hope you like the outdoors, hiking, camping, skiing, canoeing, and stuff like that, or else you're going to be very bored. We have some of the nicest landscapes on earth. There's also a handful of large cities, vancouver Toronto and montreal, mainly. Vancouver has the best weather in canada, where it rarely goes bellow zero. Toronto is just a typical large north American city, but montreal is probably the cultural capital of Canada. The old part of the city dates back to around 1600, and French canadians are very proud of their culture and like to show it.

T. Canadafag

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer.
>>
>>1217451
>high taxes on smokes
They're reasonably priced compared to western europe. Especially in the UK
>corruption
Where did you get this idea?
>people are stressed
??????
>>
File: IMG_3200.jpg (618KB, 3395x926px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3200.jpg
618KB, 3395x926px
I went to Vancouver,Surrey Harrison and to Victoria The start of the winter.
I was about to go back over to Saskatoon then try and live there but it went to shit for the better.sasskatoob looks shit

Vancouver and Vancouver island where amazing though.

Thoughts on my trip there

It looks amazing
Lots of outdoor stuff to do

Every one seems more chill and quiet-I'm from the north of England,people are friendly here once you know them but they're not if that makes sense.

My job in construction would suck there in the winter.

Everything is far away you need a car.Your a Scott your like me you probably have a off-licence at the end of your street and a pub at the other end.Over there it's more like you have big massive blocks of houses then you have to drive to a mall or a little row of shops.

Their only seems to be a handful of clubs well compared to my big northern city.

To them a 2/3 hour drive some where is the normal to a Brit/scot I'd say this is a very far to us.

Very different culture to us.

They have no dress sense.Which I think is bad because I like to dress up at times but at least there isn't that many shallow people there.(i never seen any)

Big stoner community if you like that.

The nice parts of BC seem very exspensive to live in.

I don't know what else to say about it other than. Want to try and get work over there for a summer sometime or just save up and go back and explor the place.Would be amazingrg in the summer

I had an amazing Christmas there as well looked like somthing of home alone.
>>
>>1217963
That picture is from Harrison which was amazing and looked fucking boss in the summer.

Question about tax and wages over there.

I herd the wages where good but my job is around the same wage here as it is there which is around 24 dolla and hour.

In England I pick up sound £2200 a month how would they compare after taxs in day bc ? And from the price of things what sort of standered of living would that give you ?

If you have a girl and 2 kids in England and you want a nice not wxspensive life you probably need about £3000-4000a month coming in to live comfortable.Which most people don't have
>>
>>1217969
BC fag here. With that wage you're probably going to be paying around 12% tax. But come tax season you'll get a lot of it back.
>>
>>1217874

Isn't the unemployment rate close to 10 fucking percent now? That is a fucking atrocious for unemployment.

Also then you are stuck in two of the most boring cities in Canada.
>>
>>1217604
best post so far
>>
File: 1111.jpg (51KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
51KB, 480x800px
>>1217429
Well Iv never been able to leave my province but Im sure the rest of the country is exactly like the town i live in.
>>
>>1217543
I'm Canadian and I have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>1217969
if you make 50k pre tax, you have to pay about 10k

only problem is if you want to live in vancouver or own a house in victoria that's not enough, but the rest of the province is pretty good as a single
>>
>>1217863
You live in the second largest country in the world at nearly all its population (at least 3/4ths) of Americans-in-denial and Frenchies live within a mere hundred miles* of the US border. You are not fucking full. You are more empty than the vastness of Russia.

*I'm not converting this into KM because you and all the other so-called "Canadian people" (lol) need to get used to US measurements. If the US decides not to annex you (not "if you decide not to join" - decision's not yours) than you better be prepared to become a minority in your own country.
>>
>>1218120
go choke on a burger
>>
>>1218120

We are full because most of our land is uninhabitable.
>>
Canada the peaceful -

Often I feel like Canadians are the most cherubic peoples on the earth. Delicate in niceties, but nonetheless brave. The cold is shrouded by the warmth in their hearts.
>>
>>1217807
>make $2500 bi weekly
>pay check says $1700

At least the townhouse I bought two years ago for 300k is selling for 600k now
>>
>>1217429
Been to Vancouver. It's fine as long as you're scared by of foreign people like a few people from this thread (not sure what they're doing in /trv/).

It's particularly great if you're an outdoorsy type.
>>
Third world country shitter here, also planning to move to Canada after uni, how hard is the process?

I've been wanting to move there since high school.
>>
I live in Canada, its a nice place but a fucking nightmare to backpack/travel to.

>Public transportation system is horrible.
>Prepaid sim cards expensive as fuck with shitty plans
>Hardly any Hostels anywhere and motel/hotels are expensive as fuck.
>Flying from city to city is way more expensive then it should be
>Taking Greyhounds from city to city expensive as fuck

If you're visiting one city or something it might not be so bad but if you want to travel to multiple places its a pain in the ass.
>>
File: 1487052731678.jpg (105KB, 1000x566px) Image search: [Google]
1487052731678.jpg
105KB, 1000x566px
>>1217429
>>1218136
>>1218120
also our economy is full, there are no full-time jobs anymore and Chinese money-launderers are driving up real estate prices. Unless you're going to rent and create long term high-paying jobs, or an unmarried woman please fuck off.
>>
>>1218448
Just learn french (well enough to pass a Uni entry test) and live outside of Quebec, and that's enough for you to qualify for their Francophone visa/citizenship process.
>>
>>1218272
Nobody minds foreign people as long as they obey our laws (especially the ones about leaving when your visa is up and not committing immigration fraud), avoid behaving like cunts and don't push religion on us.
>>
>>1218551

this
>>
>>1218556
Thanks for the tip, I started learning last year but I'm still baby-tier.
>>
>>1218529
>642.03104043 x π
>Not hitchhiking
>>
Toronto will absolutely suck the life out of you. Whatever you do..don't come to Toronto.
>>
>>1217543
Not to mention the healthcare system is overburdened by an overdose crisis (also caused by the Chinese, by the way - they're the ones smuggling in fentanyl according to the CBC) and it takes over a year to get an appointment with a psychiatrist (which liberals don't seem to realize will get even worse now that we're bringing in a fuckton of religious neurotics with PTSD)

>But no, let's make paramedic and nursing schools EVEN HARDER to get into and reduce enrollment so we won't even have a chance to keep up with increased demand for their services and limit burnout
>Let's not find another revenue stream to fund healthcare by legalizing weed and other drugs

We're getting fucked hard in the ass by government incompetence, I think I'll actually move down south if Christy Clark and Weedman win the next elections.
>>
>>1218040

Powder King is dope.
>>
>>1217957
what are the availability of teaching jobs and what is the average uni cost for liberal arts
>>
>>1217954
You forgot
>making 40k a year

>not being upper-middle class in a Toronto suburb
>house value doubles over 5 years
>earn 80k at minimum
>too expensive for annoying poorfags to come
>separate neighbourhoods for each ethnicity (including all the different whites) so you don't have to interact with others
Only con is having to shovel your driveway every time it snows.
>>
>>1218902
>legalising weed
kys leech
They should ban tobacco too instead of just taxing it.
>>
>>1217451
why would you put winter in the cons are you blem
winter is comfy as

huge pros is that its the best outdoors country in the world hands down.

the biggest con is that the cities are very boring and ugly. unless you're living in like downtown areas of the big cities, you'll find it has the sprawling suburbs like the states is notorious for.
>>
>>1217543
>minority white within a few decades
Lol you sad fuck.
Don't go back to /pol/ you've been there too long. Go read and travel more.
Life isn't bad enough to be so shitty about it
>>
>>1218971
Immigration is a /trv/ issue. Ever been to Bali or Phuket in thailand ? All ruined because of western culture. Having the native inhabitants as a minority is very concerning as it will change the town/country over the years, that is how a democratic society works, mob rule.
>>
>>1218946
There will always be degenerates anon, better to use their disposable income to offset their willful drain on the medical system than to let organized crime increase profit off them.

>>1218974
This. Mexico is being ruined as well. Walmarts and fatties are everywhere, culture (what little is left of it) is quickly eroding, corruption is rampant, and their women are jumping onto our cocks to escape the mess. What is to be done?
>>
>>1218974
Would you say Thailand was ruined by asian culture? They went through hundreds of years of immigration from China and their neighbouring nations. Yet they are `ruined by Western Culture`.
>>
>>1218902

like i give a fuck if drug users who by choice use illicit drugs kill themselves. less cost for me in the long haul without having to pay their medical bills and welfare.
>>
>>1218974

oh, what a surprise, cultures change and adapt over time. it's almost as if it's been happening since the beginning of civilization.
>>
>>1217602
In virginia cheap packs are like $3
>>
>>1217463
Casse-toi maudit anglais, je m'en calisse.
>>
>>1217604
>People are unfriendly in BC
It's because we're full, stay away unless you're Japanese or Finnish.
>>
>>1217451
>people are very stressed
That's everywhere though.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.