[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Peru or Ecuador?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (5KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 190x265px
Hey all,

I'm going to Mexico, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and a handful of other places from June through January. I've decided to see another country at the beginning of May, after my semester finishes and I'll have fewer hours at work.

I want to go somewhere which is economical to visit and can be done on a budget. Peru and Ecuador both have fairly cheap fares from Detroit, ranging between $350 and $500.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which to chose? I know they're both inexpensive destinations but otherwise I'm drawing a big blank.

Anyone been to one or the other or both? Just looking for some simple opinions to help me make up my mind. Will post my ticket on Friday or Saturday after I decide.

Probably going from about May 6th through the 20th, working for a month, and then embarking on my other trip on June 26th.
>>
Peru is all about Cusco and the incan ruins, the other stuff is mostly underwhelming. You can get laid super easily by 6's in Lima, that's the only other redeeming thing about Peru IMO.

Ecuador is less touristy and travelling there is more about the outdoors - volcano hikes, etc etc etc. Cooler backpacker culture from what I've heard. You won't find local girls that are fuckable and easy.
>>
Hey OP, i've been to both Peru and Ecuador. I spent a month and a half in Peru and about 3 weeks in Ecuador and i think it just depends on what you want to do there. Peru is much more touristy so if you're into that and big cities like Lima or Cusco then go for it, but outside Cusco/Lima there isnt anything to do unless you're in the rainforest. In Peru i stayed in a rainforest camp in Puerto Maldonado for a month, then i travelled all the way through peru by bus visited all the big cities and did touristy things then into Ecuador. Ecuador is much more relaxed and honestly the people are a lot nicer and you wont be ripped off. I'd recommend it if you're more into action/adventure sports and trekking you'll have a much better time there. Check out Banõs, It's a city in the middle of ecuador that has a lot of action adventure stuff, skydiving, bungee jumping, canyoning and it's really cheap, the locals are lovely and honestly i just think Ecuador is so underrated and there is so much to do! Hope this helps! :)
>>
>>1217039

Seems like a wash! I'm into cities and nature. Can you give me an idea of how much some outdoors activities cost, as well as how the two countries compare in day-to-day prices?

I think I'm probably going to go to whichever country has a cheaper fare. I have $90 in JetBlue credit and they go to Ecuador for about $200 less than Peru.

>>1216988

That's interesting. I doubt it can be that hard to get laid in Ecuador. However, sex isn't really a big consideration for me. I'll be traveling from June through January anyway.

I like that Ecuador at least sounds more relaxed. This is basically going to be my "summer is here, no classes, and I can work only 20 hours per week until I leave in June" trip.
>>
>>1216988
why the hell do you mention sex ?
Are you the type of loser that travels because he has a hard time getting laid at home ? lmao
>>
>>1217048
I get laid at home and abroad. I'm specifically into exotic women and one of my favorite things to do is hooking up with cute locals and having them show me around. Most guys on this board are the same, I suggest trying it and seeing why.

>>1217043
Not hard, the girls just aren't attractive. More of an indigenous background.

IIRC Ecuador is quite a bit cheaper as well. But if you decide to do the Inca trail, you need to reserve *now* to have any shot at getting on a tour there. The slots sell out months in advance.
>>
>>1217058

Is the Inca Trail sometbing you can do semi-independently? I'm not really into paid or planned tours, although I'm not opposed to them if the experience is good enough or it's not possible to do alone (e.g., will be taking a safari in Tanzania for a couple days).
>>
>>1217060
No, you need to do it with a tour company. I wasn't able to do it because I didn't plan far enough ahead, but I've heard good things about it.
>>
colombia is much better than peru and ecuador OP, you should look into it.
>>
>>1217397

Already been there.
>>
>>1216988
>You won't find local girls that are fuckable and easy

Don't listen to this guy

Girls were all over me when I visited.
I guess when you're handsome, you're handsome in all countries
>>
>>1217043
Thanks! It was lovely :) i like a bit of both and actually besides the first month in the camp me and my boyfriend just winged it about how long we were staying, we just had a start and and end point. Activities really vary on price depending on where you are. Anything south of Cusco is going to be really cheap, even if you did a rainforest volunteering programme like i did will still be cheap. Cusco can be expensive but it honestly depends on what it is and which travel company. I would really recommend staying in a hostel in cusco, i stayed in Milhouse hostel, really nice and friendly and cheap. Most hostels including this one have different travel companies displaying trips and treks and their different prices. You don't need to book this in advance seriously just go there and you can book when you find something you like, they have cheap stuff like 10 dollars for bungee jumping and then they have 3/4 day treks to machu picchu. We did the jungle trek through to machu picchu which was 4 days and it was 240 dollars each which was pretty cheap. Ecuador is probably a little bit cheaper but not much. I would personally recommend Ecuador more because i think it's nicer and theres much more to do whereas in Peru its like if you're not in cusco or anywhere in the rainforest it's kind of shitty. I would seriously recommend just going to a hostel and booking it when you get there :) Also if you're in Ecuador myself and my partner did an ayahuasca ceremony with a local shaman which is very interesting if you're into that. I know this is a lot, hope it helps!
>>
>>1217413
Oh and to add to my post. YOU DON'T NEED TO BOOK INCA TRAIL MONTHS IN ADVANCE. THIS IS BULLSHIT. i went in the middle of august and there is SO MANY options, i seriously booked it when i got there and the day after i went, so dont get ripped off by booking it in advance you don't need to :)
>>
>>1217400
I've been in Quito two days and I've already gotten 8 hits on Tinder.

Unfortunately my Spanish is potato level so I'm not really getting anywhere.
>>
>>1216983

I've been to both, depends what you want out of your South American experience.

Peru certainly one of the well-developed, if not the most well-developed country in South America. Lima does feel like a very well-equipped second world city, although that's the only half-decent city they have. Macchu Picchu, Cusco, and the Inca trail are nice solid attractions. If you go to Macchu Pichu, be sure to climb it's little brother Whinu Pichu, which gives you a great view of the surrounding mountains. Only 100 people per day are allowed to climb, so book this in advance.

Ecuador is a little harder to quantify. By and large the best part of Ecuador are the Galapagos, but you probably can't afford that on a slim budget. Quito is alright, but it can give you altitude sickness (so will Cusco) and is far less tourist friendly.

I would actually recommend a ticket to Argentina if you had to visit one South American country, but I don't want to overreach your original question.
>>
>>1217480
>>1217480
>Peru certainly one of the well-developed, if not the most well-developed country in South America

wtf are you talking about man
>>
>>1217480
>Peru certainly one of the well-developed, if not the most well-developed country in South America.
????
>>
>>1217506
Also anon has no idea what "second world" means.
>>
>>1217397
Tell me a little about Colombia my man
>>
>>1217510
Not that guy, but It's an extremely diverse country, what do you want to see?
>>
File: ticket.jpg (66KB, 1059x521px) Image search: [Google]
ticket.jpg
66KB, 1059x521px
Thanks for the help, everyone!

I just bought my ticket from Detroit to Quito. Although Lima did seem like a tempting option, I had to use my $90 in JetBlue credit by midnight tonight. Flights to Ecuador were quite a bit cheaper than Peru, so I opted to save some cash until my next paycheck while still digging some value out of an almost-expired voucher.

Feels good, DESU. This will only be my second country in South America, but I plan on doing a motorcycle trip across the whole continent after I graduate.

Anyway, any safety tips for Ecuador?

I do freelance writing shit but it only takes about 7 hours every week. I think I'm probably just going to leave my laptop at home and use internet cafes instead of having to worry about getting robbed.
>>
>>1217679
Pretty much standard travel safety tips. Reliable Free WiFi is hard to come by outside of hotels/hostels so there wouldn't need to be a point to carrying a laptop anyway.

Cabs from the airport are flat rate and if you're going downtown/old town it's probably the best deal. There's also an $8 shuttle bus, but it doesn't go all the way downtown.

If you want a rec for comfy and surprisingly cheap place to stay, check out L'Auberge Inn (cause who doesn't love a good eggplant pun). I'm staying there right now. More details over in >>1217624
>>
>>1217683

Thanks!

I might check that out. I'll probably just end up staying in a hostel for my first couple nights, since I'm traveling alone.

Anyone have any other ideas on what to do there? The Galapagos seem awesome but probably prohibitively expensive.
>>
>>1217952
You're going to want to give yourself a few days to get used to the altitude in Quito.
>>
>>1217979

I have a travel clinic appointment at the end of April to get my Yellow Fever vaccine for Tanzania. I'll probably getting some altitude sickness meds, too. I remember the doctor prescribed them for me when I was planning to go to India and Nepal on my first-ever trip.
>>
Ecuador is the only Latin American country I've been to, but I loved it.

I went to Guayquil, Cuenca, Montanita, and Canar (which has Inca ruins).
Each place was cool in its own way.

Ecuador seems pretty developed as far as developing countries go, at least in the cities.

Also there are plenty of attractive women. I saw a lot of hot chicks in Montanita.
>>
>>1217414
Nah Inca Trail books out well in advance. Your talking about the alternative treks to Machu Picchu that are cheaper/less restricted. They aren't the "inca trail" though.
>>
Oh and I really enjoyed the food in Ecuador.

I hear Peru has great food as well.
>>
>>1219007
Quito is definitely a modern city. Guayaquil looks like a modern city on the surface, but once you start scratching at the paint you see the difference (the place I'm staying in downtown has wifi, but you still can't drink the tap water).

I'm headed to Ayampe/Montanita tomorrow, after all the locals go back to work.
>>
>>1219093
Well I know the tap water in Guayaquil isn't potable, however that's a given for most developing countries.

I was in Cuenca too and it honestly seemed like a first world city, it was very clean too. Also I should have tried cuy while I was there.

I live in New York and there are a lot of Ecuadorians here, I'd love a qt Ecuadorian gf.
>>
>>1217480
>Peru certainly one of the well-developed, if not the most well-developed country in South America.
Wat

>using 'second world' in this context
Alright you don't even know what you are talking about.
>>
>>1217480
>the most well-developed country in South America.

kek what.
>>
>>1219404
I think the difference between Guayaquil and Quito/Cuenca is that the former started modernizing from the top down, while the latter two went from the bottom up.

Guayaquil started with a fancy waterfront, a shopping district, IMAX theater, etc. Quito and Cuenca focused on infrastructure. Water, trash, transportation, etc.
>>
>>1216983
I've only been to Ecuador out of those two. It's a very nice place. I went to Quito and Otavalo, both nice cities with plenty to see/do. Also the Galapagos Islands are part of Ecuador. Which are their own neat thing to see.
>>
Was just in Peru and Bolivia for 5 weeks summer of 2016. Peru for 3, Bolivia for 1 +1/2 (factor in travel days from US to SA).

Peru:

- Beautiful country, just about every climate and biome except for tundra
- Urban areas are safe if you're not a moron and use common sense
- Food, lodging, transport are dirt cheap. Was able to ride the huge, Titanic-esque Brit train from Cuzco to Puno for $25 a ticket w/ father, gourmet meals and bar car were included.
- Macchu Picchu is neat, but definitely just a 'check the box' kind of place. Try to book on a day that's not near any Incan holidays (tourisits eat that shit up and it'll be impossible to enjoy yourself there)
- visit the part of the Amazon that crosses through Peru. Spent some time in the remote jungle about 5 hours by boat from Iquitos, worth every day I was there
- locals will be nice if you're nice, simple as that
- know Spanish, will help tons. Makes things that were already cheap even cheaper

Never been to Ecuador. That's next on my list at some point down the road. Bolivia is dangerous, especially in the cities. Hotel was firebombed an hour after we left for the airport to fly home.
>>
>>1220548
Yeah the waterfront/boardwalk made a good impression on me, I believe it was called El Malecon.

Guayaquil didn't even seem dirty though, it's definitely cleaner than New York.

Have you ever been to Montanita? So many babes there, I would love to go back.
>>
>>1220641
I'm in Olon right now actually.

I got some good /trv/ advice. Party in Montanita, do everything else in Olon.
>>
>>1220652
Any places you recommend in Montanita?

And how easy is it to talk to girls? I speak passable Spanish although I'm not quite fluent. I would be so happy if I got at least one Ecuadorian girl to sit on my face by the end of the trip!
>>
>>1220658
I recommend the street or the beach. There are carts that sell cocktails and beer. Most of the "clubs" are kind of laughable and the hostels are frankly just silly. Don't eat in the restaurants, eat from the food carts and walk up shops. They are cheaper and mostly sell the same stuff.

Get a room in Olon. Places are cheaper and way cleaner than Montanita. I got a private room for the same price as a shitty dorm in one of the silly hostels in Montanita. It's a 5 minute, $1.50 cab ride or you can literally walk it in like 30 minutes.

Don't drink the water in Montanita, it has a terrible sewage problem. In fact don't even shower in Montanita. That's another reason you stay in Olon.

Passable Spanish is fine because half the girls you talk to aren't from Ecuador anyway. Montanita is a backpacker party town.
>>
>>1220669
The majority of people in Montanita seemed to be Ecuadorian, or at least Latino.

And thanks for the advice! I would never stay in a hostel personally, I need my privacy. I would definitely considering staying in Olon one day and taking the cab to Montanita.

I miss the food in Ecuador too, the seafood was really good as well as seco de pollo. I went to a mall in Guayaquil and the food court food was actually really good and homemade tasting.

And hopefully I can munch on some Ecuadorian pussy next time I go.
>>
OP here.

Just booked a few nights in a hostel in Quito. I've got two months and a day left until I go and am already excited! Tinder has been a kek already.

Can anyone give me any insight on how much things cost in Ecuador? I've read the country isn't as cheap as Colombia or Peru, but I don't know what to expect.
>>
>>1221992
Tinder has been a kek?
>>
>>1221992
Cabs are a lot cheaper, restaurants and bars are somewhat cheaper.

Clothes seem to be about the same price, and groceries somewhat cheaper.
>>
>>1222048

Compared to what?
>>
>>1222049
meant to say, compared to what I'm used to in the US.
>>
>>1222059

That's a given, but I'm looking for more specific numbers. For instance, how much does a small meal or a taxi ride or can of beer at a club cost?
>>
>>1222190
Salchipapa (sausage and fries) $1-$3.
Short cab ride $2-$5. Negotiate the price before you get in. Don't use unlicensed or old, beat-up looking cabs. Not as much of a problem in Quito as other places but use common sense.
A bottle of beer - $1-$4 depending on where you are and what beer. A domestic in a tavern is going to be cheaper than an import in a fancy club.
>>
>>1217461
In Lima you could get 80 a day without much trouble.

>>1217400
I haven't been there myself, but everyone I've talked to says that they're more the "indigenous" type rather than the mestizo/spanish background that you might find elsewhere. Personally I'm not as into that.
>>
>>1222369
Why are you so picky? I've been to Ecuador and there are plenty of cute chicks both mestiza and indigenous leaning
>>
>>1222225
Don't settle on salchipapas if you go to Ecuador! Get seco de gallina, ceviche, and all the other good stuff they have there.
>>
>>1222469
I was just throwing that out as a common cheap lunch.
>>
>>1222369
>>1222467
Different anon here
Peru is heavily indigenous and they are not cute like natives from the Amazon(Tupi)

Average girl(Lima) is pretty ugly of course there are some qts around and the cute ones are really cute but rarely sexy they tend to be very small(size,ass,tits) which is not my thing either

honestly Peruvian trannies(Miraflores,Lima) look better than the girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHCwlbZ1lyI

I actually quite like indigenous girls but Peruvian girls are just not that great Bolivians are worse the poorest country in the area and ugliest.
>>
>>1222602
Peru is not only Lima.

About cute native from the Amazon, you should look in the Amazon. Actually there is very easy to get laid.

Also the further north you go, girls get prettier
>>
>>1222602
I've seen plenty of cute and hot Peruvian chicks

Some of you guys have ridiculously high standards considering most of you are virgins.
>>
>>1222602
Average girl is ugly, yep. Plenty of 6's/7's around that are quite easy, but yes they definitely lack any sort of sensuality.

Also lots of easy girls from other latino countries that absolutely hate peruvian men. I had an awesome time with a couple colombian girls there, they were way easier than they were in colombia.

>>1222734
Go to Manaus if you want easy women in the Amazon. That place is mind-blowing and definitely the easiest place to get laid in south america, bar none.
>>
does anyone here have experience with Ecuadorian-American chicks?
>>
>>1216988
>Peru is all about Cusco and the incan ruins,
>the other stuff is mostly underwhelming.

Eh what?
North, go to Huaraz to trek Cordillera Blanca and Huayhuash
South, go along Candelabro, Huacachina Oasis, Nazca, Arequipa/Colca Canyon
>>
File: Achtung.svg.png (46KB, 1169x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Achtung.svg.png
46KB, 1169x1024px
Ey, /trv/

I'm in Ecuador currently, I was supposed to head to Peru for a bit and fly out of Lima next week but the flooding in Northern Peru has stopped all the buses until further notice. My flight out of Lima is on the 27th, but I want to have a back up plan in case they can't get the roads clear.

A major carrier flight would clean me out this close to departure date, is there any other way to get to Lima?
>>
>>1226208
Sorry to read that.
Northern Peru is really flooded and I don't think it could be solved next week.

From Quito there is LATAM (major), Avianca (major) and TAME (Local carrier from Ecuador)

From Guayaquil there is LATAM and Avianca.

I hope I could help
>>
>>1226221
Yeah, it looks pretty fucked. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get a flight out of Guayaquil or I'm just not getting home.
>>
>>1226221
>>1226436
Also, I suppose as a "count your blessings" moment, if I had stuck to my original itinerary I would have been smack in the middle of Northern Peru when the flooding started.
>>
>>1224860
>North, go to Huaraz to trek Cordillera Blanca and Huayhuash

Yep, that's one thing I didn't do and really missed out on. It sounds awesome though.

>South, go along Candelabro, Huacachina Oasis, Nazca, Arequipa/Colca Canyon

Huacachina was definitely cool for a day. Nazca, Arequipa, Colca, Puno were underwhelming. I don't know anything about Candelabro.

I would also seriously recommend Ayahuasca in a true healing center in Iquitos if you feel ready for it. Not as a fun thing to do, but as something that might seriously help you if you're the average type on 4chan. I got lots out of it.
>>
>>1217048
yes, so what
>>
Will Iquitos be travelable in may- June?
>>
>>1226445
Candelabro, is Paracas as >>1224860 says, really comfy is you like to be close to nature, animals and a nice beach.

>>1226467
Yes, it is the start of the dry season. But being the jungle, it means that it rains a little less.
>>
>>1217986
They're helpful but they don't totally erase the symptoms. I took them in Cusco and still had a headache and such the first couple of days, and things felt much harder then too.
>>
Next question.
Anybody familiar with the Lima airport? Since my flight from Ecuador is going to cramp my budget, I'm thinking of just spending the night in the airport. Since I'm coming in on an international flight and leaving on an international flight, I should just be able to stay airside if I pre-check for my onward flight, right?

I know there's a couple sky lounges, but are there any restaurant or food courts airside?
>>
>>1226626
yeah i was going to do this but i decided to just go into town it cost 31 dollars get get the on entry "visa" you only pay when you leave
There are food places for sure.
>>
>>1226626
There is a big food court with Mc Donalds and other stuff there.

I spent an entire day there because I just came back from Huaraz and the bus station is close to the airport and I didn't want to take a $20 taxi to the city (it will cost you $40 round trip to any point of Lima)

The airport was never crowded and even in the downstairs part you had chairs and everything. Never had a problem finding outlets either. I just bought a wifi for the whole day and chilled.
>>
How much does it cost to get from the international airport in Quito to the city center?
>>
>>1227858
Cabs are flat rate $26 from airport to downtown.

There's a shuttle from the new airport to the old airport for $10, then you've got to catch a metro bus or taxi to the center.

There's an "express" metro bus for $2, but it takes forever.
>>
>>1227214
Yeah, I'm not going to try and explore Lima right now. Aside from the exit visa, lodging and transport costs they're legitimately in the middle of a national disaster right now.

I've got another overnight in Bogota, but that's a pretty sleeper friendly airport.
>>
>>1227995
WiFi for the whole day was $10 I think. Just be careful with your stuff as anyone can enter the food court.
>>
>>1227996
The food court isn't airside?
I'm just going to stay airside so I don't have to cross customs.
>>
>>1228018
I have no idea what airside means. You go in there's all the booths where you can check in
then there's a huge area on the left with chairs and sockets I think there's also some conference rooms. On the right side you go up and there you have the food court. Once you pass the control I don't remember any food court just some small cafes
>>
>>1228030
Landside = before check-in/security
Airside= after check-in/security

I'm flying in from Ecuador and flying out to Los Angeles, the Peru part of my trip got scrubbed because of all the flooding but I couldn't change my flight out of Lima. So I'm going to fly in on Sunday night, stay airside if possible and fly out Monday for home.
>>
>>1216983
Spent a month in Ecuador and 2 months in Peru in 2015, Peru is waaay more touristy and less authentic, while Ecuador is all about hiking in more untapped areas. If you could manage a bit of both you should, but otherwise Ecuador really beats out Peru in almost every category I can think of
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.