[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iberian Road Trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: area-map-of-spain.png (229KB, 1322x1202px) Image search: [Google]
area-map-of-spain.png
229KB, 1322x1202px
So I can get the ferry from England to Spain to either Santander or Bilbao. I'm thinking about spending a couple of weeks exploring Iberia this summer - would then drive back across France and catch the ferry from Calais for the return leg.

Where should I go? What should I see? I've never been to mainland Portugal or Spain before (only to Maderia and the Canary Islands)

Is wild camping or sleeping in my car OK or will I get hassled?
>>
About the campaing and sleeping.

You can sleep in your car without problem, what you can't do is camping. So if you put something out of the car like a chair or a towel the police can punish you, so, as long as you dont do that it's ok.
>>
File: zaragoza.jpg (804KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
zaragoza.jpg
804KB, 1024x723px
>>1216656
Go to Santander if you want Spain, not Bilbao.
No problem with camping unless you make a fire to cook something. Make sure you aske the people in the nearest town which camping zones are liable to have BBQs, since it's ILLEGAL to do so openly during June and August in non-designated zones because of MAJOR fire hazard. Don't be that Brit that gives your countrymen a bad name by causing a million-€-worth fire that we get EVERY year.
there's also no problem with sleeping in a your car, but If I were you, I'd stay in a hotel.
>what should I see
It depends on what you want to see. Do you want something more akin to the waether in the British Isles? then stay in the North: Cantabria, Asturias, Galicia.
Bare in mind this regions are very old, quite and small, which may feel like the medieval times for someone who expects Madrid levels of infracstructure.
If you want the purest Medieval Spain, then head into the plateau, particularly, the Northern part, following into Aragón, to see the stunning city of Zaragoza and head into France.
If you want something more "typical" for a British vacation, then go to the South; Andalucía, Murcia, and the follow the cost Mediterranean to the north to get to France.
I would recommend the first option, since the second one is, quite literally, Little Britain during the summer and it won't have any kind of Spanish feeling to it.
>>
>>1216662
>stunning city of Zaragoza
Zaragoza is pretty meh.I would rather visit Cuenca,Toledo,Segovia,León,Avila,Aranjuez or Burgos than Zaragoza
>>
>>1216661
thanks.
>>1216662
Definitely more of the former vibe: While I do want to see Barcelona I'm not too fussed about the coast, want to see the real Spain.

>>1216666
Picture looks awesome though. Checked btw
>>
>>1216666
While heading France? Seems counter productive when you can do Zaragoza-France in a few hours.
>>
>>1216670
I'm going to head back to England that way --> straight up the motorways across France, but I'm up for going all around Iberia (within reason, obviously maximising efficiency of route.)
>>
>>1216669
>Picture looks awesome though
Any picture can look awesome.I was pretty dissapointed with Zaragoza.Even the mudejar looked dissapointing.Maybe I just expected a lot more from the city
>>1216670
>While heading France? Seems counter productive when you can do Zaragoza-France in a few hours.
Burgos->Logroño->Pamplona->Alava->San Sebastian->Saint Jean de Luz is a way more enjoyable journey than to go to Zaragoza unless you take a route through Catalonia and the Pyrenees
>>
>>1216672
I don't know about going to Euskadi in a Spanish trip.
>>
>>1216673
>I don't know about going to Euskadi in a Spanish trip.
Why?The border with France is there and the French Basque country is gorgeous.Outside of memes there is no fucking reason to not visit San Sebastian that is 14 km away from the border with France
>>
>>1216675
Because if OP wants to see Spain, going to Euskadi is counterproductive.
>>
>>1216673
>Euskadi
is this a meme castillian name for san sebastian or something? i knew a girl from madrid who was scathing about the basque
>>
>>1216676
>Because if OP wants to see Spain, going to Euskadi is counterproductive.
Ok Patxi whatever
>>1216677
Euskadi is Basque in Basque. In Spanish the region is called las Vascongadas (this triggers the Basques) or el país Vasco (Basque country)
>>
>>1216677
Euskadi is the basque word.
>>
dumb question, but what month would be best between June and September?
>>
>>1216678
>Ok Patxi whatever
I am not a Patxi, and that's precisely the type of people I don't want OP to meet.
>it's nice here in Spain
>ACTUALLY, this is Euskadi, fuck maketos
A summer is supposed to be a time of enjoyment, not political discussion.
>>
>>1216680
September is cooler but still pretty warm.June is warmer.It depends what you want to do.
>>1216684
This barely happens though.Most basques are just Castillians larping irl
>>
File: 1487532774668.jpg (90KB, 791x445px) Image search: [Google]
1487532774668.jpg
90KB, 791x445px
>>1216686
>This barely happens though.Most basques are just Castillians larping irl
Let's continue the int posting in int.
>>
>>1216688
I can't debate against king SANCHO
>>
>>1216656

Might be going to Spain in the fall with dad for 2 weeks

Specifically Andalucia

Is it safe with it being so close to Africa and the whole refugee thing?

What are some must do things?
>>
>>1216990
>Is it safe with it being so close to Africa and the whole refugee thing?
Yes
>What are some must do things?
Visit the Alhambra, also Seville and Cordoba. I've heard Ronda is worth a look as well, but I've not been there myself
>>
>>1216662
>the stunning city of Zaragoza
Are you bloody serious?
>>
>>1216656
Don't listen to >>1216662 Bilbao is far cooler than Santander. Santander is meh
>>
>>1216990
>Is it safe with it being so close to Africa and the whole refugee thing?
No it isn't. You shouln't go. Actually, you shouldn't even leave your home.
Idiot.
>>
>>1217105
Completely agree. Bilbao has cooler architecture, nightlife, food and cultural life. Now I'm not saying that Santander has none of these things (In fact I quite like it myself) but Bilbao easily surpasses it and has a more young vibe to it. Santander has a beach in the city so there's that though. I would still choose Bilbao any day of the week.

IDK what >>1216662 is on about when he says that Bilbao is not "real Spain". Spain is a country with multiple cultures and languages inside of it, and experiencing that will not hinder in any way your enjoyement of the country.

Plus Bilbao, Barcelona, etc. are big cities where these cultural differences are more subtle and manifest in the food, art and history of the place. I wonder if this guy thinks all Bilbainos wield axes and wear txapelas daily while speaking to eachother with grunts.
>>
File: smug pepe.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
smug pepe.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>1216656

You can also take a walk from United Kingdom to Spain because Gibraltar belongs and will always be part of United Kingdom ;^)
>>
>>1217194

Why do people get so bothered when a question is asked about safety in Europe, especially now with the refugue crisis?

Its a legitimate question
>>
File: professor-farnsworth.gif (14KB, 261x251px) Image search: [Google]
professor-farnsworth.gif
14KB, 261x251px
>>1217702
I think people get annoyed when a question is asked in a profoundly stupid way.
>>
>>1217711

How was that question asked in a profoundly stupid way?

Is Europe not currently having a migrant crisis? Didn't spain just have a massive demonstration? Is southern spain not close to Africa where the migrants are coming over on boats?

Don't know if I'm being trolled or if you guys are legit insecure about that topic
>>
>>1217752
>Is Europe not currently having a migrant crisis?
Not a crisis, I'd say. There's trouble, but that's inevitable.

>Didn't spain just have a massive demonstration?
The Catalans demonstrated *pro* refugees, IIRC.

>Is southern spain not close to Africa where the migrants are coming over on boats?
No. There's Ceuta & Melilla where they try to storm the fences, but that's still small beans compared to the quantities trying the Libya-Italy route.
>>
>>1216656

http://www.minube.com

Put the city, check places, choose, put them in gmaps, make your route, come here, buy a sim card with you passport or ID, enjoy my country, drink well (and cheap), eat better and get laid! You welcome!

About camping, shitty situation here. Each town have his own law, you can't camp in any beach, that sucks.

In Asturias in private property yes, with owner agreement. 2 Castillas, Euskadi, Murcia, Navarra you can, less than 3 days, less than 10 people, 0 fire, etc...

Catalonia it's like France, but less than 3 days, not near any potable water, 1Km away from a town, 100m from a road...

The north have the Santiago Route, you can sleep cheap, but this country sucks to camp, nothing to do with north EU.
>>
Not OP but bumping for info.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.