[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling Alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Does anyone enjoy travelling alone? And I mean alone. With solo travel, the cliche is "you're never alone", but I feel that this is only really relevant if you're going to hostels or other places that are popular for solo travellers.

But what's it like to travel completely alone, staying in hotels and doing things without others?
>>
>>1216616
Absolute bliss. Sure it occasionally gets lonely or wanting to share the experience with somebody. However I can honestly say that all the positives of going it alone outweighs any of those negatives.
>>
>>1216618
I'm on the cusp of booking a solo holiday to Cambodia and Vietnam. This is reassuring. Problem is, I'm 18, look very British and well actually am told I look younger than 18. Won't I just seem out of place?
>>
>>1216619
lol no, that won't be the problem. There are lots of youngsters travelling. The problem will be that you'll be targeted by all the scammers and everyone will try to screw you over. I mean, if you are older scammers often give up on you or don't even approach to save effort. Young guys especially on their own are presumed the easiest prey. And in fact they are. You will be scammed, just accept it be prepared to write it off to the learning curve.
>>
>>1216619
If you're 18 and from the uk you must know plenty of people taking solo trips either interrailing or to south east asia, half of the middle class do it. It's very common and you'll be fine, they're very safe places and meeting people is easy.
>>
Why not just book a private room in a hostel?
>>
>>1216616
I've done a lot of both, yes the old adage is true, if you're in a hostel you are never alone, ever. That has its benefits but sometimes

Staying in a foreign city in a hotel all by yourself is just fucking magical.
> walk around naked all the time eating room service
>>
>>1216630
I was considering that, but I've worked my arse off the past couple of years and just come into some monetary luck. I just feel treating myself
>>
I've been traveling for 15 months, started off in hostels but really got tired of them, so I stay mostly in AirBnBs now.

There are lots of ways to meet people - tours, couchsurfing events, etc. My favorite is to do my own thing during the day, and hang out with girls from dating apps at night. Works really well in big cities, and then in small towns and resort type areas I stay in hostels.
>>
>>1216626
That's reassuring, thanks. Yeah I've pretty much come to accept that I will be easy target for scammers and there's not much I can do about it.
>>
>>1216616
>But what's it like to travel completely alone, staying in hotels and doing things without others?
Once in a while, lonely. But mostly quite interesting if you're reasonably comfortable being by yourself.
>>
Traveling alone is the best.

>no need to worry about being separated from your group
>can go wherever you want, whenever you want
>related to the above: you can be as (un)adventurous as you'd like
>can choose to learn/discover on your own, instead of relying on a guide
I'm so glad I did my last trip alone.

Had I gone with my family, we would be very limited on dining options (my dad & sister are picky eaters, and my mom hates anything new). Had I gone with one of my friends, his only objective would be to go clubbing and meet chicks (not that I have a problem with that, but it seems like a terrible waste to go to a foreign country for just ONE thing). Had I gone with a tour group, we would be on a restricted schedule, and most of it would be the guide just droning on and on.

I am so glad I went it alone.
>>
How do you lone travelers take pictures of yourself?

Do you ask someone? Bring a selfie stick? Really extend your arm?
>>
>>1216775
lol never ask someone

they are just as likely to take your phone/camera and run

extend your arm if you are that self centered and need a selfie or just take a photo
>>
>>1216775
I'm ashamed to admit that yes, I did use a selfie stick.

I only ever extended my arm in places where selfie sticks are banned (I've been to literally two places that did that).

In my defense, I've found a surprisingly good use for my selfie stick, for things other than selfies. I actually used two cameras on my trip; my phone (for social network pissing contests), and an actual camera. I used my right hand for the camera, and I used the selfie stick in my left hand to take pictures with my phone (long story short: it's a pain in the ass to take pictures with just my phone left-handed, and using a selfie stick helped mitigate this frustration).

I never asked strangers to take pictures for me, unless they were park staff.
>>
>>1216775
I don't. Maybe one self timer photo just so I don't get those oh so hilarious "haha Anon you've never been there, you're not in the photos" comments.
Honestly, I don't even see the point of having my ugly mug cover a perfectly nice view.
>>1216778
Fat tourists in their late 60s won't be running anywhere. You just need to ask the right people.
>>
I recently did 10 days in Tasmania on my own
2 and a half days in Hobart, 5 day camping and bush walking and hiking through the west coast, 2 and a half days in Launceston.

There were other people on the 5 day trip, other people on the day trips I did in Hobart and Launceston.

So really just on my own on the flight, at the hotels in Hobart and Launceston, and in the evenings in Hobart and Launceston.

It was fine. The no singles policy is a /tv/ meme if that's what you're worried about.
>>
>>1216616
The pros and cons were mostly covered here. The largest problem I see is that you need to always cope with your problems by yourself. That's not a problem unless you become tired/scared/etc. So it's not for the people who panic once something goes wrong for them. That you consider this trip suggest you are not one of those people however. Just don't forget about safety, be careful about drugs, alcohol especially.
Also, dont seem to have much cash.

Fuck, I'd like to have so much cash to afford flights...
>>
>>1216778
>they are just as likely to take your phone/camera and run

>Not recognizing an ice-breaker opportunity for talking to QTs.
>>
File: 1455215604317.jpg (39KB, 540x390px) Image search: [Google]
1455215604317.jpg
39KB, 540x390px
I do both, travel solo and with partners. Both can be good, both can be bad.

>>1216775
>taking pictures of yourself while traveling
>taking pictures at all

Lol, look at this fag!
>>
>>1216775
Yeah, gotta take pictures so you can showoff on facebook and try to impress others, right buddy??

Kys
>>
>>1216616
I always travel alone. No complaints. Other people just disturb and distract me.
I usually go to Thailand and fuck ladyboys.
>>
>>1217710
you and me, buddy
>>
>>1216618
This.

Travelled with freinds/family mostly, last year i went on my own because friends are dirt poor. Did everything i wanted, mingled more with locals and other tourists, was far more relaxed in a wierd way.

Highly recommend solo travel
>>
How do you guys feel about my situation?

I'm planning on taking a senior trip to Costa Rica for right when school ends. One of my biggest issues though has been thinking through wether or not I'd like to go with friends. I know some of my friends would like to go with me but I doubt they'd be willing to spend a month there like I want to, nor do I have any sort of commitment from any of them at this point.

I'm trying to get a fully immersed adventure, and half of them don't even eat seafood.

It makes me think that I'd have to do it alone but the prospect scares me as much as it excites me. I'm worried about having a lame experience where I just don't socialize for a month.
>>
>>1216616
Every now and then, when you aren't in a deep relationship, you'll have a moment in your travels whether alone or with family or friends... a moment where some wistful thought or mood will briefly appear. It might be when something is just so outrageous, beautiful, amazing, that you wish you could share it with a special someone. I'm talking gondola ride, top of Denali, stunning fireworks on new year's eve, upgrade to the top suite of the hotel, romantic meal and view...could be anything really. It might be spotting your favorite celebrity who came right up and had a cordial conversation with you or invited you over for a bit. Who knows?

I think the rest of traveling alone has to do with your personality as much as your place in life and if you're happy with that. Ideally, I'm not alone, but I see nothing wrong with some half days of peace if the person(s) you are with are kind of high energy or cheap. There will be some people with a better affinity of interests and moods. Having a down day to do some swimming, sitting in a park having a picnic and nothing much at all is infuriating to the person who is overspending their budget but can put other people into a more social and companionable mood the whole rest of the evening and coming day. Being alone means you don't have to argue your choice of activities, but not everyone argues. So you see, it varies.
>>
>>1217934
>I know some of my friends would like to go with me but I doubt they'd be willing to spend a month there like I want to
So let them go home in 2 weeks when they want to leave, then stay yourself for the next leg of the trip.
>>
>>1217934
Alone trips in south America are not adviced. Make daily messages to home and tell them exactly where you are and what you are going to do that day. Most of the backpackers from my country disappear during their south America trip
>>
>>1216616
Its very rare to find someone to travel with that will enjoy the things you enjoy to the smallest detail.

So yes, I travel alone and I enjoy it. I rarely take photos or selfies when I travel too, because I just want to live the moment. Don't want to whip out my goddamn phone and pose when I can just lay down and rest next to a waterfall for a quick nap. No disturbance. Solitary. Peace. Feelsgoodman.jpeg
>>
>>1216634
>hang out with girls from dating apps at night

do you schedule it like normal dates or like "foreigner wants to get to know the city"?
>>
File: DSC01950.jpg (398KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01950.jpg
398KB, 1920x1080px
>>1216616
I travelled alone (no hostels or group tours) to West China and Kazakhstan.

It's obviously a lot easier to travel alone in a place like Europe where people are used to seeing tourists and you don't stand out so much, but I personally love the chance it gives you to be completely alone in the world. As long as you know the language of the place you're going to some degree and you take basic safety measures you'll be fine.

Pic related is an eagle hunter I met in Almaty, Kazakhstan
>>
>>1218170
I always just schedule it as 'meeting up.' If you've been chatting and there's interest, it will go fine.
Burgerland man here. The amount of women I've met in Europe is insane compared to back home. And I'm not a player by any means.
>>
>>1218226
What about intimacy tho?
Are those girls mostly interested in doing more than just hang out or do they just want someone to kill time with?
>>
>>1216616
>>>1216616
>The largest problem I see is that you need to always cope with your problems by yourself.

Tfw you never had any close friends and have been bullied most of the time so you already know how to deal with that.
Travelling alone is sooo much better than the alternative.
>>
>>1218076
Bullshit.
South america is save to travel if you follow safety precautions.
Their fault if they enter random taxis or pull out their phones in public or some dumb shit.
>>
>>1218249
Depends how fat you are.
>>
I enjoy it. I'm from the UK so I think it's quite easy for us to make it work alone since we get on well with Americans, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians as there's not a big culture barrier. You normally find at least one of those nationalities anywhere you go so if you're perhaps uncomfortable making small talk with foreigners then there's that.

That being said, I don't just exclusively talk to Anglos since that would be boring, I'm just pointing out that I've never really felt alone for that reason.

I like having the freedom to go wherever I want and not have to worry about anyone else. There have bee times when I have woken up in my hotel and thought "I can't really be bothered to do anything today" so I have just spent the day sitting in the park or something, I'd imagine it would kinda be annoying for somebody else there.

I don't stay in hostels anymore though, I prefer to rent a room or apartment through airbnb, it's not much more expensive in some places and it has many more benefits.
>>
>>1218264
Let's say i'm average looking and not fat at all
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.