[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Local Travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: window.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
window.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
How do you guys sate your wanderlust temporarily?

No flying to exotic locations. No backpacking in Thailand or Safaris in Africa.
Im talking about being stuck in your resident city with a small budget and only a weekend at most to do something.

What do you guys get up just to stave off the the travel bug?
>>
Act like a tourist and go out alone or do touristy shit. It's sort of fun but usually all your friends will be too cool to do it with you.
>>
>>1216512
I get free train travel in the UK and Europe. So I just normally pack a lunch and go.
>>
>>1216542
No need to rub it in.
>>
File: lotsa ketchup.jpg (24KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
lotsa ketchup.jpg
24KB, 450x600px
>>1216512
Live in a city? Head out for a weekend in the country. Live in the country? Head into the city for a weekend. Live in a small town? Cool, you got two option then.

Within a 2 hour drive from where you are is a place that looks and feels very different than where you live, likely full of people who do different things than you do, eat different foods, believe different things, and sites and events that people one continent over buy airplane tickets to come and see.

It is not necessary to cross an ocean or a border to travel -- it is necessary only to get into the right mindset and get off your ass.
>>
I go to Cedar Point, which is only a two hour drive from my house. You can easily make a day trip out of it, or Niagara Falls, Canada can also be done in a day for me, but at a 4 hour drive, most of the day will just be getting to and from.
Basically, even if you have to drive for a bit, you can still do a day or weekend trip that isn't just 2 miles from your house, but isn't an entire different country.
Check out the next major city next to you. There'll be bars and shopping you can go to, museums you can visit.
Check out your local State or National Parks.
>>
I live in the heart of Europe. I can fly to a lot of places for just a weekend, so many choices 1-2 hours away.
>>
>>1216545
>Within a 2 hour drive from where you are is a place that looks and feels very different than where you live
Ever been to England? Every single high street of every single town looks exactly the same.
>>
File: national parks and monumentsp.png (25KB, 624x400px) Image search: [Google]
national parks and monumentsp.png
25KB, 624x400px
>>1216557
>Check out your local State or National Parks.

This. If you are in the US, there are some amazing things to be seen, this is true in a lot of other countries but my park experiences have mostly been in the US.
>>
>>1216562
>Only two Black Dots in Michigan?

What? We have plenty of National and State parks. Or is this a different map than what I'm thinking?
>>
File: tenterden2.jpg (86KB, 750x512px) Image search: [Google]
tenterden2.jpg
86KB, 750x512px
>>1216561
You need to get out more mate or don't travel to shit towns.
>>
>>1216545
This.

I live in a large city but there are plenty of country towns within a couple of hours drive, it is so nice and refreshing to get out there, it really is a world apart. I grew up in a small town so there is also a nostalgia element to it. Definitely recommend it
>>
>>1216512
Explore your nearest large city. Unless in the midwest, there should be plenty within 3 hours
>>
>>1216561
So London and Southampton are the same?
>>
File: Ranger_Park.png (44KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
Ranger_Park.png
44KB, 225x169px
>>1216586
>What? We have plenty of National and State parks.

Does not include state parks. It may be that what you mostly have is National thises and thats that are not technically in the categories used for the map. But fuck if I know, I did not make the map, I just wanted a visual to suggest that there are parks everywhere, and googled one.
>>
I live in Toronto.

Decent cities are within reach like Montreal (probably better for a 3 day weekend due to the length of the drive), Ottawa, Kingston. Decent access to cottage country like Muskoka, Kawartha, Frontenac. Provincial/national parks are not too far. Some picturesque small towns around the Lake Erie area.

As long as you leave before or after rush hour you can get to those places in a reasonable time.

I can't be bothered to go to any actual tourist places in Toronto. I just use it as a place to get drunk with friends
>>
I cruise Google Earth for places I've never heard of, and plan out trekking routes with the path drawing tool.
>>
I live in the Vancouver area. To get off the travel bug I take road trips and camp. I made sure to book a bunch of random places on the BC Park page. I also did a bit of a tour of the rockies and some of the national parks. Hiking was really nice through some of that.
>>
>>1216512
Explore my city. It's one of the better ones in this dusty ass of a country so I might as well.

The second I have my drivers license I'm just gonna go road tripping practically every month though. I really want to go camping but all my friends are total faggots when it comes to that.
>>
>>1216512
There are a few places near where I live, in the northwest of England. I went on a day trip to Lake Windermere recently, which was nice, and also looked around Kendal. I might head over to north Wales soon and have a look at some old castles
>>
Anybody stayed at a hotel or something that was just 2 hours or so outside your city?
Ever felt bad for spending that kind of money?
>>
>>1216514
>friends
fuck
>>
Show someone else around town, sometimes it's fun to play tourist and see someone get excited about things that are normal to you.
>>
>>1216512

Well, I live in Vegas, and I'm not completely sure of your restrictions here, because you did say "stuck in your resident city," but I can get to San Diego to crash on my friend's couch for the cost of about a tank and a half of gas. We hit the beach and a dive bar, have a little fresh fish, play with the dog, see the sights, and then it's back home Sunday. Same goes for Phoenix, where I went to school.

Sometimes I'll go do the touristy thing on the Strip. Walk around, see the sights, maybe get a cheap room for the night...

But in reasonable distance, we have a nice mountain range with some cool bars, good hiking/camping, and in the other direction, some dusty old ghost towns and Lake Mead to explore, all under 45 minutes in the car.

Its got its moments.
>>
>>1216512

I'd say camping. I'm lucky enough to live in New England. In my opinion it gets at that living in a different place, with different foods (somewhat), on different time, thing.

Relatively small investment, when my wife and I started we borrowed some of the gear before getting our own.

Something to think about. I can field any follow-ups if you like.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.