[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /trv/, can anyone share some of his knowledge and experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: GettyImages-186359935_full.jpg (806KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
GettyImages-186359935_full.jpg
806KB, 2000x1333px
Hi /trv/, can anyone share some of his knowledge and experience about car rental while on vacation? Like tips and tricks to pay less, what to avoid, what to pay attention to, etc...
I'm probably going to california with a friend and we'd like to rent a car but i've never done it before, so i'd really appreciate some pointers
>>
File: lion get in the car.jpg (9KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
lion get in the car.jpg
9KB, 223x226px
>>1216162
How old are you? If under 21, check with the company that they will rent to you, otherwise you could get an unpleasant shock.

They will try and sell you "the insurance." If you have auto insurance in the US, it will normally take care of you -- check with your company to be sure, or read what it says in your policy if you can lay hands on it. No need paying for their insurance if yours is already good to go. They also will offer you the "convenience" of just bringing the car back as-is in regards to fuel. Your other option is to make sure you top it off to where it was when you picked it up right before dropping it off -- it is usually cheaper to top it off yourself, but if you may be really rushed as you drop it off it might be worth it to save a stop. Make sure you are both on the contract as allowed to drive the car. If you encounter lions, get in the car.
>>
>>1216165
Also, if you are from some furin land, make sure your license is accepted here (google that thing), and have it with you as your passport is a valid ID but not a valid license to drive.
>>
>>1216165
>>1216166

Italian, 29 yo, my license is ok. I'm not too worried about insurances, i just don't want to get overcharged for a car if i could get it for cheaper at some other car rental franchise. I heard that Sixt is pretty good.
>>
>>1216162
Do you have good credit? Platinum credit cards with perks?
Do you have a new car with good comprehensive collision? Or coverage with your GEICO or whatever?
Do you money/income/wealthy type and are you insured with an umbrella liability policy?
--- --- ----
Research the above before you go, because the insurance at the rental car pretty much doubles your daily rate. Try to skip it if you have adequate (and can prove it with paperwork you can print ahead of time). There are times when I travel where I anticipate that I want to walk away with zero deductible if there is a scratch on the car. I will pay in places like Iceland (huge possibility of a cracked windshield or paint chips), Ireland (you can side swipe hedges to avoid head-on collisions all day on the skinny blind curved roads). As a newb, you should know that you inspect that entire car inside and out, before you get into it, and bring the guy outside to mark damage you spot. Check the trunk for the spare and tools. And, smell it for horrible offending smoke or vomit, or dampness. Get a new one if the car isn't acceptable (and often this is a good way to get an upgrade when they have nothing else).

Anyway, for prices? Sometimes call the location directly vs online reservations, and vice versa. I also look at city pickups after a couple days at my local hotel, vs the airport pickups. Sometimes cheaper. I get coupons in my Allstate bills, through my Delta Skymiles card, AAA membership, maybe even in memberships with PBS and museums..look at those kinds of places first. Weekly might be better a better rate than daily. Sometimes the specials on the nicer class is worth the less economical gas tank. Check all that out. Typically it is cheaper to fill up the car yourself than pay. But if you aren't supposed to have 1/4 tank, check that before driving off, and make them scribble a note to the fact it was empty on your paperwork. If you intend to turn it in to another location, ask.
>>
>>1216245
Finally, if you land early, don't be afraid to walk over to Hertz like a champ, asking like you don't have a backup plan at the next counter, and before going up to your Avis counter, find out if Hertz can't beat your rate (provided the reservation isn't prepaid).

I typically get the best rates first at National, Budget and Dollar. The problem with going with a shit tier no name brand is their inability to replace your car if it breaks down. An overheating car in the middle of the National Park is no fun.
>>
>>1216162
i always go with hertz, cars are always new and in a good condition. also the whole thing goes fast. i always do the insurance seperate, if you want the zero risk insurance, its like 30 eur/day (depending on the car, 30 eur is for a small car) and if i buy the insurance myself, by a regular insurance, its 6 eur/day. that way i have no worries about scratches or whatever.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.