[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

USA big cities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: zyuWH[1].jpg (512KB, 2937x2203px) Image search: [Google]
zyuWH[1].jpg
512KB, 2937x2203px
Hi /trv/ outsider here. I was thinking about making a thread for San Francisco but I think I would like to know about typical USA big cities that are well-known or famous outside your country.

>San Francisco, LA, NY, Seattle, Washington etc

I wouldn't like to have only the media information so I would like to ask if you've been there, and if you like it or not, and why. My actual thoughs for example are that NY could be "a cool city" but I prefer to read your opinions.
>>
>>1216004

i kinda have a related question, to small for a new thread.

going to south west this summer and online all the motels are priced around 100 dollar, which is much more, double, than 10 years ago when we also went to sw.

is this because im overseas on the internet and bookingsites know this? or did it really get that expensive. because im going for 3 weeks and i want to pay as less as possible for sleeping.
>>
>>1216004
San Francisco - Nice old city with plenty of culture ruined by an influx of hippies and hobos
LA - Really shallow Hollywood cesspool with few redeeming qualities. Takes forever to get anywhere.
New York - Dazzling but ultimately hollow. Like a Faberge egg; dazzling on the outside, but full of shit in the inside
Seattle - Very scenic and a very different kind of American city. Lots of hobos though.
Washington DC - Less scenic, but lots of history and monuments on your doorstep. Well maintained, but fraying at the edges.

As somebody from South Africa; I'am hard pressed to argue that any of these cities are great beyond the initial novelty. However I liked Seattle and Washington DC the most.
>>
>>1216004
New Orleans is amazing, great food, more interesting architecture than most of the US and culturally distinct in a way that not many places there are too. There are lots of places in the US worth visiting for the scenery, but of everywhere I've been NO is the only city I can whole heartedly recommend. The rest are largely bland.
>>
>>1216059
It's just that expensive now. If you go through a site like Expedia or Hotels.com you can find some bargain/local motels for ~$100 but generally no cheaper than $75-80 min.
>>
>>1216059
We can use this thread as USA general I guess lol

>>1216063
I love this kind of input, thanks anon. Would you recomend some city more? Also
>SF old but full of hobos
What type of people do you think would enjoy that city?

>>1216072
>New Orleans
This is more the input I search, cities they're didn't THAT mentioned across the world and anons recomendations.

I recalled two names more, what about california (if it is a city) and Phoenix?
>>
File: x ray.jpg (205KB, 1200x1156px) Image search: [Google]
x ray.jpg
205KB, 1200x1156px
Hello OP, California is a state, not a city. I'm 31 years old have lived in California my entire life and I'm happy to answer any questions about it.

San Francisco is a small city, but it's very pretty. Old and new buildings, cool bridges, small and distinct neighborhoods, lots of hills, etc.. Living there is very different than just visiting. Living there is extremely expensive. As a tourist though, you'll be able to see lots and have some fun. April through September are the best months to visit. Here's a good video if you plan on traveling there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS9bEEEEs0&t=790s

Los Angeles is a lot larger and the people are a lot more diverse. You'll be driving down a street full of mansions and fancy cars and then a block later you'll be in a neighborhood full of crackheads and litter. The touristy areas are Hollywood Blvd, Griffith Observatory, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, to name a few. If you're a single guy in your 20's or 30's, LA is where you want to be. Lots of attractive women in the summer. Book yourself a room at a hostel and have fun. Here's a video with some places to visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTvr_2v-0HI

I've been to Seattle once, for a few days, and I found it cold and pretty boring. It was uneventful. Seattle is known for its bad weather and not much goes on there compared to other major cities.
>>
>>1216247
I see you asked what type of people would enjoy SF? I'd say if you are an outgoing person and liberal. San Francisco is a progressive Democrat city, which means it's normal to see lots of hipsters and also naked gay men walking on the street. LA is a lot warmer than SF, but for my money, SF is a prettier city to look at and be in.
>>
>>1216158
>I love this kind of input, thanks anon. Would you recomend some city more?

I've also been to Orlando and ultimately its the same as Los Angeles; just being a shallow, touristy area with horrible humid weather.

Also
>>SF old but full of hobos
>What type of people do you think would enjoy that city?
I think it suits far-left leaning people who are interested in various interests, but who are not very finicky and uptight.
>>
File: p1482471002-5.jpg (365KB, 1100x744px) Image search: [Google]
p1482471002-5.jpg
365KB, 1100x744px
>>1216158
>This is more the input I search, cities they're didn't THAT mentioned across the world and anons recomendations.
Boston, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Charleston, Portland (ME and OR), Savannah, and Chicago are cities I would personally recommend that aren't normally known about worldwide (except for maybe Boston and Chicago). Like the other anon said, New Orleans is by far one of the more "fascinating" and culturally distinct cities in the country. It has issues but it is definitely on my top 10 must sees in America. As for the other cities you mention SF and NYC definitely deserve a look. Seattle is frankly pretty boring to me desu unless you make day trips to Olympic NP. I rate Seattle somewhere between San Diego and Miami (in essence, worth a look if you have the time but in the end not that great).

Pro-tip: Most of the "culture" in Los Angeles is found in the Beach towns (Santa Monica and Venice). I don't think LA is nearly as bad as the others on trv make it out be really.
>>
>>1216278
I know all about New Orleans but have never been there. The French Quarter, Garden District, Treme, etc.. I'll be there next month for four days. I have everything planned out, but I wouldn't mind getting extra tips I may have missed. Any lesser known places or sights to see in and around the French Quarter? Any hacks?
>>
>>1216004
i am from germany, only been to seattle. i really liked the city. the weed stores are cool. the only thing that was not so nice where all the hobos. sometimes there were more hobos then "normal" people
>>
>>1216004
>San Francisco
Expensive as hell, but a beautiful city no less.
>Los Angeles
I'm from there, so it might just be my memories which give me a higher opinion of it. But i love the proximity to everything, and that so many different cultures are mixed in. It's hell getting to point a to point b though.
I suggest checking out Las Vegas, it's cheaper than some people think. I live in Oklahoma now, so i make frequent trips to Oklahoma City. It's not too bad. That being said, Dallas, Texas is a bit further away. I prefer Dallas.
>>
>>1216312
When will you be in NOLA specifically? I'm going to be there in mid-April if you want to meet up.
>>
>>1216312
Bring a rain-proof jacket. New Orleans is rainy as hell in the early spring. Make sure you ride the St. Charles and Canal St. streetcars and check out the parks at the end of the rides (Audubon and Mid City parks) they are pretty interesting and have some things to do in them. If you can try renting a bike and go for a bike ride around the Garden district and some of the neighborhoods just east of the qtr. Frenchman street for partying and nightlife. The WW2 museum is very decent I hear but is pricy at $26 a ticket. Those 2 buildings on each side of the St. Louis Cathedral both house museums on Louisiana state history. Be sure to visit one of the historic cemeteries in the city. Just be sure to do your research beforehand as some do require you to have a paid guided tour to enter (just google them to find out which ones are free to look around solo). Look for guided night tours of the city. Some of them can be kinda tacky but they're pretty fun and the safest way to see the city at night.
>>
>>1216312
Bourbon street for only one night,and not even a full night. See it for the novelty but as far as night life it's shit compared to other places (some only blocks away)

Also don't travel alone at night if it's not a populated area. French quarter can get dodgy quickly.
>>
OP here, I love seeing a lot of input, thanks guys, I'm learning a lot.

>>1216339
What would you add about Dallas and Las Vegas? Media says nothing about 1st one and make Las Vegas look like just a bigass street with lot of neons.

>>1216278
>Boston, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Charleston, Portland (ME and OR), Savannah, and Chicago
Would you mind explainning more? I would love knowing more about Chicago mainly, and I didn't know Savannah. The other ones I don't know either but at least I head them from time to time

Also, as a bonus question, why are always hobos a deal? I mean, I live in capital andwe have our own, but beside makind a city look sad(?) I don't think they're bad unless they try to assault you.
>>
>>1216412
Dallas has a history. Dealey Plaza, where jfk was shot, has a museum dedicated to the event. Every time i go there's always done guy ranting about some conspiracy. The steak houses and bars are top notch. And the weekends in general are great to spend in Dallas.
>>
>>1216385
>>1216387

I will be in NOLA during the last week of March. Several websites say it is the time of year when there is little rain compared to other times of the year. Is that true?? That's the main reason I booked it during that time.
Other than that, thanks for the great tips!
>>
>>1216312
If some ethnically enriched individuals try to bet where you got your shoes at don't listen and walk away.
>>
>>1216715
>Dallas has a history
That's cool to know,

Someone have input on LV?
>Media make Las Vegas look like just a bigass street with lot of neons.
>>
>>1217155
Las Vegas is a terrible city aside from the strip. That's why you go to Vegas, to party and have a good time.
>>
>>1216412
Savannah is a really cool city, its right on the riverside, and has a ton of cool parks and historical sites. Its also supposedly crazy haunted, they do a bunch of late night ghost tours.
>>
>>1216063
You sound like someone who just dislikes all cities. What city in America could have more substance than NYC? Just because you don't care for that type of substance doesn't mean it isn't there.
>>
Honestly I kinda prefer "second tier" cities. Portland, Nashville, St. Louis, etc.
>>
is portland/seattle worth checking out?

i'd be interested in local food, music, art, architecture, comic books, anything neat

i was thinking about planning a road trip north from CA>OR>WA>BC
>>
>>1217379
both are worth checking out.
>>
ABQ is severely underrated even by most Americans

Salt Lake City is pretty interesting
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.