[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /amtrak/ here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Amtrak_network_map_2016.png (235KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Amtrak_network_map_2016.png
235KB, 800x533px
Planning on taking it to Montreal from NYC for a concert. Anyone done this trip before?

Also, general Amtrak thread.
>>
Went from NYC to Toronto last year by greyhound over night. Comfy seats and no problems at the border.
>>
I've never tried Amtrack because it seems way too expensive to be worth it
>>
>>1215996
yeah amtrak is only cheaper if you buy tickets months in advance and use their online deals, otherwise it's more expensive than flying
>>
>>1215996
At least for long distance trains it's always been marketed to people who wanted to see the American landscape without having to spend time road-tripping in a car which isn't nearly as comfortable or even economical depending on some situations. Where Amtrak actually really makes sense is the corridor routes (routes 300 miles or less) like the NEC and some of the Illinois and Michigan services for example.

As for OP I've ridden Amtrak a couple of times before and in about a month I'm doing a massive 1 month trip around the country on a rail pass. It's solid depending on what you're looking to get out of it.
>>
>>1215987
You'll be stopped and questioned by border people, be honest and calm, have your documents ready, try not to fall asleep.

t. friend went to be in a rap battle in montreal

>>1215996
Depends where you are from. If you're from a major city (LA, Houston, Chicago, NYC) to another major city don't bother unless you have to. Remember, they serve the in-between places where it's far too expensive to fly.

>>1216010
The main reason is bags.

You can bring 2 (25lb ea) carry on bags, plus 2 checked bags (50lb ea) totaling 200lb gross weight with you. They don't even weigh the carry-ons in most cases, and they sure as hell don't measure them.

>>1215996
Nice. I'm from IL but my east-coast trips typically took place under cover of night. Amtrak's mad comfy but it's surprisingly crowded because Amish/Meninites can't be bothered to fly, and people who don't like TSA or traveling from places where it's too expensive are willing to pay the price.
>>
>>1216023
>At least for long distance trains it's always been marketed to people who wanted to see the American landscape without having to spend time road-tripping in a car which isn't nearly as comfortable or even economical depending on some situations. Where Amtrak actually really makes sense is the corridor routes
Great theorizing, but it's never been that way. It's designed for people who don't want to fly, and after 9-11 even much more don't like to fly, period. It's a legacy from the past when air travel was only for the jet set income level prior to deregulation was more economical than buses. Trains aren't as susceptible to foul weather system like buses would be, and as such better for winter travel, such as in the northeast and mid-atlantic for commuters to and from cities. There are a handful of north american trains that are labelled as "scenic" routes, and those, and only those are worth being on for "seeing the american landscape" because the rest pass through horrifically uninteresting and even downright depressing industrial buildings that line the train tracks. It's is the worst part of a town to be located near the trains, kind of the crappy houses under the jet exhaust and noise.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.