[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are people that travel escaping from something?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: traveller.jpg (33KB, 1000x450px) Image search: [Google]
traveller.jpg
33KB, 1000x450px
Are people that travel escaping from something?
>>
No, their problems are always still there when they get back home.
>>
People that long-term travel are trying to escape from a shitty home life, yep.

>been gone 15 months
>>
yep
>>
Not me, I have it great at home. But I don't long term travel either, a month is the longest I have done. I do go often.
>>
>>1215567
What else is the point of a holiday dickhead?
>>
>>1215671
>Not me, I have it great at home.

But it's still relaxing and stimulating in a way that your home life isn't right? I love my job and day to day life but that doesn't mean travel isn't an escape by allowing me to have a complete change of pace. Everyone needs time off after all.
>>
>>1215567
wow so deep, really unclogs the old thinktube
>>
Yes. Whenever I'm travelling and I see a 40+ dude wandering around aimlessly or staying at my hostel I feel sorry for them. Sometimes they ask stuff like "where's the party at tonight dudez" and I shudder and cringe. It's like, go home to your family bud. But then it trickles into the back of your mind - .. he has no one and is eternally running. Sad.
>>
File: IMG_1964.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1964.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>1215567
Not all who wander are lost
>>
>>1215567
I don't travel to escape my work, I travel to justify it.
>>
>>1215567
>Are people that travel escaping from something?

Some are. Some are searching for something. Some just enjoy traveling.

There is no one true way to travel.
>>
>>1215865
It's depressing that they had to deface that ancient temple with a "be careful" sign for bubble-wrapped Western backpackers whose daddy is a lawyer.
>>
>>1215873
> deface
> hang up sign

It's depressing that you're such a tit
>>
Depends. Not always.
>>
>>1215567
That's why I do it, usually love related
>>
>>1215873
It's more depressing that most people don't read signs.

>went to Victoria Harbour in HK
>"NO FISHING"
>"NO CLIMBING"
>some guy climbed over the railing so his fishing rod can reach the water
>>
>>1215862
I agree. 40+ year old men should not be allowed to travel alone. You can just tell instantly you see them they are sad and pathetic and lonely and running from something. I don't even bother trying to get to know them personally. Not worth it.
>>
>>1216759
>40+ year old men should not be allowed to travel alone.
But 40+ year olds are the ones who are most likely to be able to afford traveling.

I agree that middle-aged people trying to relate to younger people is incredibly lame, but that's ubiquitous in any society, not just in international travel.
>>
>>1216761
I was being sarcastic. The person i was responding to came across as someone who would just judge someone at first sight.
Yes i do agree about old dudes trying to party with younguns just to hook up tho.
>>
kind of, the summers in New Orleans get pretty fucking bad, it usually starts in the beginning of April all the way through the end of October

It's too hot to do shit during the day in July and August, so I usually book a flight to the Alps or the rockies

so yes, i am escaping from the usual day to day life, and the fucking weather
>>
>>1215862
>>1216759

Why don't you guys worry about your own life instead of judging strangers you don't even know?
34 y-o traveller here. I wasn't aware there was an age at which you can't travel anymore.

Besides, you wouldn't give a shit about a single 40 y-o woman travelling alone. Hell, you'd probably want to bang her if she looked alright.
>>
>>1216792
Hey, if you couldn't pick up the sarcasm in my original post, I already said it was sarcasm in a reply.
I'm older than you and will continue to stay at hostels for as long as i feel like it. If the owners didn't want me there fair enough, but opinionated young travellers can eat a dick.
>>
>>1216796
I missed the sarcasm indeed.
How old are you my man?
What's your current situation?
>>
>>1215684
>>1215684
I am sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I have been traveling a lot and often without wifi. I am in Quepos Costa Rica as I type this.

I think we are just talking about the same thing in a different way. Yes, when I travel it does let me escape from my everyday chores and issues. So, I guess in that way, you are right.

When I read the original post, I took it to mean you have a situation in your life and that is so bad you travel to escape it. Either because it is out of your control or too painful to deal with. Or perhaps you are so miserable in your current situation you just want to run and not look back. By that standard, I am not escaping when I travel.

I am an old dude who travels. I am divorced, I am retired, I have a little money I can spend, and lots of time. I have grown children, and tons of friends so I don't think I am pathetic or sad. That being said, I have never stayed in a hostel (although I might sometime just for the experience of it) and I don't hit on young girls. I might ask where the party is, because who wants to sit in their hotel room? I am likely to buy you a drink or a meal if you are friendly. I don't really care a persons age when I meet them, and I try to get along and be friendly, but I really don't care if you don't like me. I know who I am and I am good with it.
>>
>>1216798
I'm 48. To be clear I don't stay in dormitories, I just like budget accommodation sometimes.
Tbh I'm probably done with that style of travelling for a bit. I've recently bought a yacht and plan on using it for my travelling if i can get it up to scratch.
>>
>>1215874
Lol'd
>>
>>1215684
well, getting intimate with your significant other is relaxing as well. Hot bath are too. But I refuse to claim I take baths or engage in a relationship to escape anything. I just like it, that's the way my brain is wired as a product of those billions years of evolution. I travel to experience new things, especially genuine emotions, etc.
That being said I think *some* people might still try to escape something via travelling, but I don't really see how could this be preffered way of coping with anytthing - travel is just too tiresome/expensive in the longer perspective.

Mind you, escape is the situation in which you have some problems, but instead of coping with them you abandon them altogether. That's not the case if the action *solves* your problems, as that would be simply addressing your needs.
>>
Some quote I read somewhere said that all travelers are either running away from something or running towards something. Some do both.

Unfortunately it's really hard to run away from the problems you had back home, they always stick around in one way or another.
>>
>>1215651
Has your life improved?
>>
>>1216894
>Some quote I read somewhere said that all travelers are either running away from something or running towards something. Some do both.

That's goofy, though. It's like saying when you are at home you are hiding from something.

Some people just enjoy traveling.
>>
>>1215567
Are people that don't travel hiding from something?
>>
>>1216908
Yes, dramatically. The only thing that's worse about my life is the job - I'm struggling to make myself focus on preparing to return, even though I have to.

It's also hard to go back knowing how much life comparatively sucks in the US. But I don't have much of a choice for good jobs in my career.
>>
>>1216912
I think you're reading too much into this. When you're running towards something it doesn't have to be something significant. Like for example me, I'm running away from being a loner at home. But at the same time I'm running towards career goals that kind of involve traveling. I'm thinking of doing some community development volunteering/work in Asia which hopefully opens up doors to a career in the field.

Even if I wasn't running away from anything I'd still want to run towards this career goal I have.
>>
I mean, maybe I'm running away from the inevitable specter of death, but I never travel alone, I travel to see friends I haven't seen in a while, I travel for specific events that might not be available where I live but I'd like to experience...

It's not that I'm running away from my problems at home, just that I'm cognizant that the world outside of my little bubble has a lot more for me to experience. I'd rather spend my money seeing something I've never seen, or creating unique moments, than blowing it on vidya or a nice TV to watch other people doing things I wish I was doing.
>>
File: Slowpoke.gif (11KB, 200x214px) Image search: [Google]
Slowpoke.gif
11KB, 200x214px
>>1217081
HAHA TOO SLOW!
>>
>>1217093
Cool. That's you. You are in the group of travelers who may be running to, or from, something.

Not everyone is, unless you define the terms so fucking broadly that they become meaningless ( Such as "I am running towards an enjoyable time traveling because I enjoy travel.") In which case everybody is running to or from something all the time, traveling or not, and the point becomes meaningless.
>>
I'm a perma-traveler. I work seasonal /out/ and travel for fun in the shoulder seasons, so I guess I'm not running away from my home life because traveling IS my home life.
I still visit my family, stay in touch with friends, etc, but I just like going new places and meeting new people.

Keeping a relationship going is hard, I'd like to have a serious girlfriend but I know if I "settled down" with someone I'd become unhappy and it wouldn't be good for me or her.
Relationships on the road tend to be fun but brief.
>>
The only reason people do anything is to escape something.

Or, the only reason people do anything is to arrive at something.

It all depends on how you frame it fuckface
>>
>>1217448
This.

Sorry OP but your question is stupid, now I'm gonna take a piss to eacape my full bladder.
>>
>>1217370
what kind of work do you do?

I'm considering wildland firefighting

>already /fit/
>seasonal
>/out/
>hard as fuck
>>
>>1217350
If you travel for 2+ years you are running from or away from something. People who travel short term, even a gap year, don't have this. It's only those who travel a long long time.

I'd even say that those on a gap year are running away from either responsibilities back home (like going back to school or starting a job right after school) or are running away from a mundane life back home.
>>
>>1217478
I do mostly guide/tourism stuff in the summer and ski lodges in the winter.

My winter gig was shit this season, though, so I bailed early and I'm currently bumming around Ecuador.

I just had interview with a company in Skagway to drive UNIMOG tours this summer, or I might go back to Talkeetna and the rafting company I worked for last summer.
>>
>>1217350
Also if I may add to >>1217484

It's also not escapism like a vacation would be. I've traveled for 2-6 weeks at a time before and it was a bit of escapism but at the end I always knew I had to go back home and to work. Traveling long term is different, it's a different feeling.

I'm also not one to say I travel to find myself or shit like that but I genuinely believe long term travelers are running towards or away from something like this.
>>
>>1217484
I'd say I don't know what you would consider my 'responsibilities' to be, and regardless I'm probably not interested in entertaining those notions anyway.

Usually people say that shit regarding children, as I have none are you gonna bitch about me not preserving the white race or something?
>>
>>1215651
yup

>been gone 2 years
>>
I love my home life. I have a lot of fun spending time with family and friends. But I've seen just about all that my corner of the world has to it. Home is cold and off of a lake. There's forest, and deer, and coyotes. Watching snow fall on a quiet, tranquil evening is magical. It's a beautiful place, but it's not the only place I want to see. No matter how far I travel, and no matter what corner of the world I move to as I grow older there will always be a part of me that considers this home. But I've never been the type to stay in one place. I imagine I'll visit a lot of places, and I can't imagine where I'll truly call home yet, but I'm not running from anything when I leave home. I'm running towards experiences and stories that I can share or keep to myself if I choose.
>>
>>1215567
I'm escaping life tbqh
>>
>>1215567
>Are people that travel escaping from something?
Yes, work; that's the wole point of a vacation. You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer eh?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.