[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working in Asia as an American?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: TB4W38P.jpg (41KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
TB4W38P.jpg
41KB, 500x666px
I want to move to Asia because I am the definition of a rich loser in my country, except for some wealth I acquired from family.

I want to be able to teach English, so I can have something on my resume and meet people.

I only have a 2 year degree, and a high school degree.

My budget is $20,000 a year.

What country should I go to?

I was leaning towards China, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand or Vietnam.
>>
>>1215223
Fuck teaching, with that kind of money, save up 2 years worth of funds and learn to play poker. It's easy money.

Last year I completely self funded my 2 month Cambodia trip by spending 2 weeks worth of nights playing 1/2 NL at Nagaworld in Phnom Penh. Made just over $4000 in profit in those two weeks. The only prereq is knowledge, discipline and a bankroll. Tourists who come and go only want to play for fun, they don't take the game seriously, and that means easy money for people who dedicate themselves.
>>
>>1215224
Im not interested in poker...

I know how to invest well, but for some reason my family still see's that as a failure.
>>
File: IMG_1838.jpg (725KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1838.jpg
725KB, 2448x2448px
>>1215225
Well then invest and do what interests you. Teaching ESL is not fun, and at the end of the day, the kids deserve a dedicated teacher. So unless you are willing to transform yourself into a teacher learn to do something else.

If it's just about your family, who the fuck cares, if you can live in paradise and support yourself through investing why not do it. It's your life, not theirs.
>>
>>1215226
I enjoy teaching, I don't have the best English although I am a native speaker.

I heard that unless I get a Bachelors degree then I cant be a teacher in China or South Korea. Are there any ways around this?
>>
>>1215227
WGU.com You can still get jobs illegaly in most of Asia. You may need to start at the bottom though, for experience. If you have a 4 year degree you can get contracted rather easily.
>>
>>1215223
This isn't what Asians in Asia look like. Maybe in Hawaii
>>
>>1215227
How about you apply and enroll in university in Asia for your bachelors degree. Many have English speaking programs. Even in places like Thailand. You get your bachelor's, you get networking, and it will be easier to get a job in Asia when you graduate.
>>
>>1215227
just go to taiwan

the workarounds in china leave you earning nothing
>>
>>1215223
>I am the definition of a rich loser in my country,
>My budget is $20,000 a year
>>
>>1215233
Does china or south korea have these programs?
I have not heard good things about SEA, and I loved Sichuan in China.
>>
>>1215235
Good point, I love dim sum, and their government does seem a bit more predictable & lenient towards westerners, but how much does it cost to live there?
>>
>>1215236
it's not touching the principal going off of a 4% safe withdraw a year. I would have about a 94% chance of living off this in perpetuity.
>>
>>1215238
I have only researched universities in Thailand, Japan, and Singapore. No interest in S. Korea or China, myself. I have heard horrible things from people working in China.
>>
>>1215223
>>1215244
If you don't need to work for that income then why not take up a craft or do writing instead? Then you can teach something for fulfilling than English as well.
>>
The cultures of each of those countries are really profoundly different. Thailand vs. Japan is kind of like comparing the US vs. Mexico, for example.

I say do a little research, pick the top few out of those, then go backpack around them for a little while to see what clicks with you.

For me, it'd be Taiwan or Vietnam, though.
>>
>>1215261
I am not interested in crafts or writing.
I would like an additional 6,000 a year in my pocket, meeting new people, and something I can at least put on my resume instead of 'bumming around asia'.
>>
>>1215223
my dream is to start my own septic tank service, but I am kind of banned from ever getting a driving or trade job in USA for 4 more years.

I am planning on getting my UK citizenship in 2 years, from my father, but I can't get it until the 2 year mark due to my DUI offense in the USA.

The USA is one of the best places to park your money, but the easiest place in the world to ruin your career.
>>
>>1215278
mech eng? how would you make profit off the service?
>>
>>1215223
>$20000 a year

Set your sights on Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam
>>
>>1215230
I came here to say the same thing. Asians born in western countries take on the culture of those countries and in turn we find it attractive as it seems that they're somehow different from the usual white girl we grew up around.

Asians in Asia are by western standards culturally childish, weird, not sexy at all and for me annoying as fuck.
>>
>>1215243
1. Dim Sum is Cantonese. Don't expect to find it in Taiwan
2. There's no way in hell you're getting a working visa (and consequently, a legal job) without a Bachelor's. If you can afford to leave the country every 90 days, there's plenty of sub work though.
>>
>>1215378
Wait...
Taiwan isn't Cantonese?
>>
>>1215370
Can you give examples of childish and weird.

I dated a chinese girl for a while, she was sweet but very naive. She was super skinny, but cute even though she wore tons of makeup.
One of the biggest mistakes in my life was not marrying her.
>>
>>1215382
Taiwan is on a separate island. Taiwan is also generally considered its own country (if you've ever read a book or played a game centered around geography or cartography, you'll notice that many of them have separate entries for Taiwan, instead of just lumping the whole thing as China).

Dim Sum is of Cantonese origin, which is like the southeast region of China. You're more likely to find Dim Sum in the Guangdong region of China, as well as Hong Kong & Macau.
>>
I lived in Japan for years and traveled all over East and Southeast Asia. Japan is the best. JAPANESE ARE THE BEST. Marry one. Keep her.
>>
>>1215403
I just found out I have herpes 2, so I'm very depressed and probably undervaluing myself.
I'm thinking I can only date poor girls, and not Japanese girls (probably have higher standards.)
>>
>>1215227
You can't work legally in Thailand without a Bachelor's degree, either. You could work, as a private tutor or even at a "school," (either a dodgy private day care center or a less-reputable night-school sweatshop), but you won't have a work permit (so you could theoretically be deported; there are sweeps every few years) or proper visa, and will only be allowed to stay in the country legally six months a year.

You could, however, probably qualify for an investor's visa, if you can make a substantial investment in Thai companies and/or properties (buying a condo, which is the only form of real estate a foreigner can legally own in the Kingdom--the actual dirt is forbidden to us) while demonstrating an income from investments abroad.

Alternatively, as suggested above, you could get a Bachelor's degree from a Thai university (probably Assumption Business Administration College, or maybe they're Assumption U. now, which has undergrad degree programs in English for foreigners; it's not a particularly good school, but it's a real school), and then figure out what you want to do. Student/Non-Immigrant EDU visas are easy to get and renewable for as long as you are officially enrolled someplace. Some of your AA credits might transfer, so you could probably have a degree in only 2 or 3 years of living in the Bangkok suburbs among rich Vietnamese kids and posh locals. When you had the BA, you could get a 'real' teaching job. Or since you like investing, get a silly ~4yr degree in finance or something and get a real job with a bank or firm in Bangkok.
>>
>>1215378
>2. There's no way in hell you're getting a working visa (and consequently, a legal job) without a Bachelor's. If you can afford to leave the country every 90 days, there's plenty of sub work though.

taiwan gives visas for associates, might only be american 2 year degrees they accept though
>>
>>1215378
>There's no way in hell you're getting a working visa (and consequently, a legal job) without a Bachelor's. If you can afford to leave the country every 90 days, there's plenty of sub work though.
Unless you're specifically talking about teaching then this is bs.
>>
>>1215223
You won't get any kind of job in China, they are clamping down on scum like you
>>
>>1215409
>probably Assumption Business Administration College, or maybe they're Assumption U. now

There's a lot of better Thai Universities with programs in English. All the top ones have them. Typically stuff like a business degree, to include accounting, teaching, too I think. And hospitality stuff.
>>
>>1215223
If you want a job where you're not treated like dirt who can't do anything on his own you really need experience teaching. Train in the US, work for 3-5 years and then move, if teaching genuinely is your passion that shouldn't be hard.
>>
>>1215230
>>1215370
ladyboys do but yeah the normal girls looks and act like children by western standards
>>
>>1215391
They act very shy, like acting shy is a cultural norm in many countries in Asia. It can be kind of sweet at first but eventually you get really tired when the girl is constantly doing this even though you know she's only doing it because of cultural norms and not because of how she really feels. So even though you know she's dtf because you've been going out for a while she'll only let you know behind closed doors.

They're also very awkward in a western style sense. Give one that you've met a few times a hug and you'll see what happens. Anything to do with contact, even in a relationship, often turns out to be quite awkward. They very rarely show any signs of affection, and when they do it's like they treat you like a child or a pet kind of affection. Definitely none of that passionate love type of thing...

And of course I'm just generalizing based on what I've experienced and what my friends have. I'm sure there are many major exceptions to this. But I've lived in 2 western cities with very large Asian populations and in Asia. Westernized Asian girls can be unbelievably hot, but even the pretty ones in Asia send kinda weird vibes to me, I like my relationships to feel real...
>>
>>1215224
PLEASE TELL ME THAT TOURING CAMBODIA IS A GOOD IDEA ANON.
>>
>>1215229
I have a 4 year degree from the US. I've been applying for jobs overseas but no luck so far. Most companies want someone who is already licensed to work in that country.

What do?
>>
>>1215793
What countries? What kind of work? Enroll in some course, even if it's a month long certificate course, just something to legally be in the country and then job hunt while on the ground.
>>
>>1215793
Work for one year in the U.S. Companies are much more likely to sponsor you for a visa once you have a tiny bit of (non internship) experience.
>>
>>1215370
I found it to be a matter of adaptation. Once you're in Asia for a month or two, you'll get into the way that they look there.

But the childishness/immaturity always annoys me. An Asian 21 year old usually acts about like an American 16 year old. Part of the problem is that they're still very tightly controlled by their parents, living at home and often even with curfews. So they don't get the maturity that comes from years of being totally independent like western women do.

The best are Asian girls that are living in Asia, but had previously spent time studying or living in the west. They tend to act pretty western but are still quite submissive and feminine. And after they've lived in the west they develop a taste for western guys (and asian guys see them as less of marriage material).
>>
>>1215931
>>1215370
This may be why I find myself dating older Asian women. I am in my 30s myself, one gf was 28, 3 years my jr when I started dating her. Current is 5, closer to 6, years my senior. I have also had fuckiing friendships with women in theor mid 40s through mid 50s that haven't hit the wall yet. The youngest I have fucked is 23, also not coincidentally the most drama filled person I fucked.
>>
>>1215916
I just want to go anywhere in Asia. Preferably a shipping job but I'm not picky, as long as I live there.

>>1215928
That's what I'm trying to do right now. There are a lot of international shipping companies in the US and I'm tossing my resume to every one I can find. So far, no dice, probably due to that lack of experience.
>>
>>1216084
Have you appled with the big boys? Fedex, DHL and such? Also, you should probably focus yoir job search on Singapore, it's mostly foreigners there anyway and English is the primary language.
>>
>white loser sexpat probably a pedo

lmao
>>
>>1216139
Who are you talking about?
>>
>>1216084
Some people that I know who work in Asia got transfers from their company after 1-2 years (I'm Canadian), which obviously makes the process easier. But with that said, I also know people who work at completely different companies. That year or two of experience was enough to make them be viewed as a local from a hiring standpoint.

From my understanding, if you only know English, Singapore is easier than Hong Kong, which is easier than mainland China when it comes to finding jobs. I'm not sure about the other irrelevant countries, but I'd imagine its harder to work there, regardless of language skill, as they are less globalized countries.

So just keep applying for shit here and there, and within 3-4 years at the latest you should be able to move to Asia.

To make the process easier, just like in the U.S., make some connections. Asia is very relationship based, so you need to know people there. Try to find alumni who work in the cities you are looking at, then reach out to them. You will be surprised at how few people reach out to alumni in Asia (generally speaking, your school could obviously be an exception). For the few people that I have reached out to, they were much more willing to help/talk to me than anyone back in North America. My school is one where alumni will bend over backwards to help you out here in N.A., so that is really saying something.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.