[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mexico and Tanzania!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

File: Taco-Bell-Location.jpg (209KB, 1024x759px) Image search: [Google]
Taco-Bell-Location.jpg
209KB, 1024x759px
Hey /trv/,

I'm going to Mexico for a month in June and then flying over to Tanzania. What should I do in Central America for thirty days? I've traveled south of the border a handful of times, but this will be my first visit to Mexico. I'll be flying into the capital on June 26th and then flying back out around July 20th.

Mostly looking for suggestions on Mexico. I'm going to be staying with one of my friends in Tanzania, who's there with the Peace Corps and is fluent in Swahili. He lives on Zanzibar Island and has traveled a bit around the whole country. However, still down for suggestions, especially relating to Kilimanjaro. Is it possible to climb part of the mountain or get a decent experience in the park without paying a shit-ton of money?
>>
Also should mention that I make about $1,500 per month via a couple of freelance writing gigs, so I need to be able to access the Internet for between five and ten hours every week.
>>
>>1215123
I'm from northern Mexico, but I've been to the capital many times. I can recommend you some places to go.

You're gonna be staying there a month, so you'll have plenty of time to explore the city, but keep in mind that that city is fucking huge. There are a lot of places you can look for on the internet, but from my experience, you should definitely check out the National Anthropology Museum, the "Tamayo Arte Contemporáneo" museum, the "Bellas Artes" palace, and Mexico's city National Film Archive called the "Cineteca Nacional".

Just to name a few, I think you'd enjoy those places, but also try talking to the people there to recommend you less known dope places to hang, people are quite nice down there.

Lastly, try all the street food you can, very cheap and tasty. Be careful, tho', you could get sick if you're not used to generally spicy, or greasy food.
>>
>>1215281

Thanks for the advice!

I lived in India for a year and a half, so spicy food isn't nearly as much of a problem for me as it used to be. Mexican food is probably one of the biggest draws for the trip, considering the few "authentic" dishes I've had here in the States.

Do you have any suggestions on places outside of Mexico City? I definitely don't want to spend my whole trip in one place. However, I don't have much of an idea of where to go or what to do. I'm interested in nature, bits and pieces of history, and meeting ordinary, friendly people. If I can find an affordable place to rent a motorcycle from, I might go on a multi-day tour. I went dirtbiking in some volcano sands in Nicaragua and had a blast. Always love riding, so I hope I can find some reasonable and safe options.

Does anyone have tips on getting my Spanish up to par? I know the basics of sentence structure from a month-long Colombia trip I took in 2015 and from Nicaragua and Costa Rica in 2016, but would like to expand my vocabulary and get some language experience.
>>
>>1215123
Check out wiki travel. Also, you will have to leave Mexico to visit Central America.
>>
>>1215308
Complete the Assimil easy spanish course.
>>
>>1215309

I meant to type Mexico. Not sure how that happened.
>>
>>1215308
>motorcycle

Puebla is about two hours from Mexico city, the road is relatively safe and for some reason it has a pretty big motorcycle community.

It's also a colleg town, so worst case scenario find someone young that looks middle class and they'll be able to assist you in english.
>>
>>1215123
Outside of Mexico City could be, like the other anon said, Puebla. I think it is an excellent choice. I've never been there but surely has great nature landscapes and the like. I'm more than sure you'll find what you're looking for there.

It's great that you're used to spicy food, you shouldn't have a problem with it then. So try everything, you'll love it.

And regarding language matters, well, it could be a problem, but not that of a big one. Way fewer people there speak English than up here in the north. nonetheless, you'll find someone who speaks proper English fast, no doubt. Other than that I do not know other tips in Spanish.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay in Mexico and have a blast in Tanzania too.
>>
>>1215329
meant to respond to >>1215308
I'm asleep, sorry.
>>
File: Ciudad de México.jpg (2MB, 1433x1433px) Image search: [Google]
Ciudad de México.jpg
2MB, 1433x1433px
>>1215123
Mexico City

- It is the city with the most museums in the world.
- Historic centre of New Spain
- Tenochtitlan ruins beside the Cathedral
- Xochimilco, (the remains of the canals the aztecs used)
- Coyoacán (a small colonial town that was swallowed by the city).
- Hipster boroughs and neighborhoods with tons of parks, restaurants and bars (Colonia Roma, Condesa, Del Valle).
- Rich boroughs and neighborhoods with big shopping malls and some skyscrapers with gourmet restaurants (Santa Fe, Polanco)
- Teotihuacan ruins are really close, though they belong to the State of Mexico, (a state surrounding Mexico City).
- Popocatepetl and Iztacihuatl volcanoes are also really close, though they are also in other states.
- There are some forests inside the city (Chapultepec, it has a "castle", la Marqueza, el Ajusco, el desierto de los leones, etc)
- La Villa, where the Virgin of Guadalupe supposedly appeared and left a coat with her image behind (second most visited church in the world, behind the Vatican).
- Lucha libre arenas.
- Bullfighting rings
- The Aztec stadium, where Maradona and Pelé won the world cup, it is also the place where the "hand of god" goal, and the best goal in the world were made, and the "Game of the century" was also played there.
- The zoo is quite nice and big
- "Tianguis" and "mercados" are places where people buy mainly food and some other things, and there are some notewhorthy ones like "Mercado de Jamaica", "Mercado de Sonora"
- Tlatelolco ruins
- "University City" with the Olympic stadium from 1968
- Garibaldi square with mariachis
>>
File: México.jpg (4MB, 3500x3500px) Image search: [Google]
México.jpg
4MB, 3500x3500px
From top to bottom, left to right

Row 1
>Zacatecas, Zacatecas
>Hierve el Agua, Oaxaca
>Cholula, Puebla
>Monarch butterflies, Michoacán
>Guanajuato, Guanajuato
Row 2
>Maderas del Carmen, Coahuila
>Monte Albán, Oaxaca
>Barrancas del Cobre, Chihuahua
>Tulúm, Quintana Roo
>El Pinacate, Sonora
Row 3
>Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
>Cascadas las Nubes, Chiapas
>Guadalajara, Jalisco
>Cascada de Tamul, San Luis Potosi
>Estadio Azul y Plaza de toros, Mexico City
Row 4
>Teotihuacán, State of Mexico
>Taxco, Guerrero
>Bellas Artes Palace, Mexico City
>Real de Catorce, San Luis Potosi
>Chichen Itzá, Yucatan
Row 5
>Mexcaltitán, Nayarit
>Isla Espiritu Santo, Baja California Sur
>Isla Janitzio, Michoacán
>Arrecife Maya, Quintana Roo
>Valle de Bravo, State of Mexico
Row 6
>Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca
>El tajín, Veracruz
>Playa Escondida, Nayarit
>Cantona, Puebla
>Naica Cave, Chihuahua
Row 7
>Zamora, Michoacán
>Nevado de Toluca, State of Mexico
>Teposcolula, Oaxaca
>Popocatepetl e Iztaccihuatl, Puebla
>San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato
>>
File: Mexico_States.gif (93KB, 1414x924px) Image search: [Google]
Mexico_States.gif
93KB, 1414x924px
>>1215582
For reference
>>
File: Comida Mexicana.jpg (2MB, 1700x1415px) Image search: [Google]
Comida Mexicana.jpg
2MB, 1700x1415px
Food

From top to bottom, left to right:

Row 1
- Tacos
- Lime soup
- Conchas (a type of bread)
- Pork ribs in Guajillo pepper
Row 2
- Relleno negro (Black stuffing)
- Chicken in peanut sauce
- Mushroom soup
- Swiss enchiladas
Row 3
- White mole
- Pozole
- Chiles en nogada
- Mole poblano
Row 4
- Stuffed chili (with shrimps)
- Cactus (nopal) salad
- "White" gut/stomach soup (menudo/pancita)
- Huachinango
Row 5
- Charro beans
- Day of the dead bread
- Chilaquiles
- Chilis (rajas) with cream
>>
>>1215579
>>1215582
>>1215586
>>1215588
There you go lad, there are a lot of more things, but that is the best I can do for now.

Also check out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrios_M%C3%A1gicos_of_Mexico_City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_M%C3%A1gico
>>
File: Mexico City.png (4MB, 1228x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Mexico City.png
4MB, 1228x1230px
>>
Thanks for all the feedback!

Does anybody have any recommendations on a general sort of itinerary? I think renting a motorcycle for five or six days and going to Puebla and its surroundings sounds like a decent idea. Should I concentrate more on going north or south from the capital?

I'm a little sketched by the reports of violence in states like Michoacan. Not sure where exactly I have to avoid and which places I'll be able to relax relatively worry-free in. From what I've been able to gather, south and east of Mexico City is generally better than farther to the north and west.
>>
Bompa
>>
>>1215281
Isn't it the water that makes tourists sick? I can't imagine spicy food causing diarrhea.
>>
>>1215123
Hi, just thought I'd hijack this thread for a quick question.
When I was in Mexico City for the few days before the New Year, every shop in the city shut down at 7 PM in el Centro Historico. Is this because of the season, or does the city generally get quiet very early?
>>
>>1217100
>7 PM
>New Year

No way, that time of the year the close even later because you can sell more. There might be something else going on, a free concert on the Zocalo (main square) or something.
>>
>>1217114
Every store was closed down and locked up, and there wasn't anything going on at Zocalo.
>>
>>1217117
They normally close at 8:00 pm, but in New Year and Christmas they close almost at 10:00 pm.
>>
File: Animales Mexicanos.jpg (519KB, 1700x1415px) Image search: [Google]
Animales Mexicanos.jpg
519KB, 1700x1415px
>>
>going to Mexico and then Australia
>>
>>1217970
Oh you said Tanzania not Tasmania, my bad
>>
File: como.png (5MB, 1700x1415px) Image search: [Google]
como.png
5MB, 1700x1415px
>>1217941
I guess Anubis is real and he lives in Mexico. That's a weird-looking dog.
>>
File: Xolos.jpg (198KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Xolos.jpg
198KB, 600x600px
>>1218074
Many people don't like it, since they don't have hair, but it has been a dog in Mexico before Europeans came. I like them desu, there is an art museum (biggest collection of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera works - the Dolores Olmedo Museum) in southern Mexico City filled with them and with blue peafowls.
>>
>>1218074
M>>1218292

It's prehispanic yet till today, name it's Xoloitzcuintle, as for in common mithology his a companion for those who die and wonder in the river to Xibalba (Aztec hell), only if you never hurted an animal in life for mere violence, the Xoloitzcuintle guaranty your arribal in Xibalba and prosperity in the other life
>>
File: Mexican Towns.png (6MB, 1700x1415px) Image search: [Google]
Mexican Towns.png
6MB, 1700x1415px
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.