[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Perfect City

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

What is your perfect City /trv/?

What are some characteristic and qualifications of your perfect City. Where you can see yourself living until death?

Do any cities like this exist already?

Are any cities close to this?

I think mine would be:

>ocean warm enough to swim in at least 4-5 months a year

>no winters that ever go under 0 degrees Celsius

>not a very expensive city to live in

>smart city transportation wise, publics transportation bikes etc.

>cultured city and people

>near a big airport hub that has flights going to many places
>>
>>1214731
literally Melbourne
>>
Sydney, Brisbane/Gold Coast, Adelaide, Carlsbad CA, Santa Monica CA, Key West FL, St Petersburg FL.
>>
clean air, varied terrain for bicycle trips (some hills would be nice). and sea/lake nearby. city friendly for bikes.
>>
>>1214735
Expensive no?
>>
>>1214737
> Santa Monica
> not very expensive
>>
>>1214731
You are describing Capetown.
Which would be my ideal city if I had the money to live there in a way I'd enjoy.
>big ass house in safe and picturesque neighborhood like Hout Bay.
>travel all over the place, And interesting neighboring places (Zim, Nam...)
>motorcycle trips everywhere
>great culture, foods, wines, and services, extremely cheap by European standards.
>fly everywhere on a whim, CT and Jo'burg together are a huge hub.

If I could make my job location independent I'd move there.
>>
>>1214731
LA.
>beautiful weather
>beautiful people
>you get the beach, mountains, city, nightlife
>good museums
>expensive but i can afford to live here
>>
>>1214731
Barcelona
>>
>>1214737
>Recommending Adelaide to anyone
>>
Vienna
>>
For me it is Münster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aO3A03DTsk
>>
>>1214773
Minneapolis.
>>
>>1214804
> LA
Wew lad, fell for the meme have we?
It's one of the most disappointing cities I have ever visited. Shitty people, vapid lifestyle, no one is really happy, everyone is constantly hoping to "make it", the only normal parts are the valley and maybe Pasadena. Traffic eats up a good part of your day, the cost of living is appalling, and the only thing it really jas going is the night life.
> not choosing Santa Barbara
> not choosing San Diego, La Jolla, Cardiff by the Sea, or just West San Diego county in general (because everyone knows the eastern counties are shit)
> not choosing a coastal NorCal city like Monterey or Santa Cruz
>>
Bangkok
>>
>>1214998
do you realize most of the places you listed (maybe all of them) are more expensive than LA?
>>
>>1214731
>everything is cheap but no uneducated working-class
>covered by snow in the winter but the temperature never falls below 0C
>world-class food and entertainment but don't have to wait hours or buy months ahead
>beautiful nature everywhere as well as Starbucks and other stores
>>
>>1214993
Can confirm.
>>
>>1214773
Freezing
>>
>>1214731
Arcachon.
>>
>>1214905
why?
>>
>>1214805

Only good answer here.
>>
>>1215126
Unfortunately the city is funcking expensive.
>>
I really enjoyed Bilbao when I was there in summer, 2015. Easily the most enjoyable city to walk around, smoke a joint, etc. in. It's really expensive tho, but I'm from Scandinavia, so nothing out of the ordinary
>>
>>1215138

Not compared to the other cities being thrown out (Melbourne and Santa Monica particularly).
>>
>>1214731
Seville, Spain
>>
>>1214731
>>no winters that ever go under 0 degrees Celsius

Fuck that. No winters at all. Nice, sunny weather year-round, like Medellin in Colombia. It's in the 70's every single day of the year.

Actually Medellin fits almost all of your criteria, except for the ocean, and it's definitely not "cultured" by any western standard. But you'd ignore that part once you start meeting the local women.

>>1214803
The ever-increasing crime makes it a shitty place to live, IMO. Weather isn't great in winter either.

I'll add:
>Favorable gender ratio / dating climate
>Genuinely friendly people

There are some amazing cities in the world that are just awful for meeting women or making friends.
>>
>>1214803
> Capetown

Nah SA has been getting worse and worse every year since apartheid ended. It's too dangerous there now.
>>
>>1214731
>Are any cities close to this?
The range of this coast: Naples, Ft Myers, Punta Gorda, Sarasota
>>
>>1214737

>Santa Monica

wat? It's nice, but it's still in LA.
>>
>>1214731

Bern, Switzerland is probably my favorite place I have ever been.

So picturesque and dreamy, yet has the infrastructure and jobs of a major city.
>>
>>1214737
aren't these all mega expensive?
>>
>>1215314
>>1215319
I'll admit I haven't spent a significant amount of time in SA, but some places like Hout Bay, Camp's bay or Simon's town seemed like pretty chill places to live and hang out. I understand the crime rate is out of proportion compared to my home country but CT seems pretty liveable to me. Of course the train station neighborhood was more sketchy, and I wasn't feeling as safe in Jo'burg for instance...I'm definitely not painting all of SA with the same brush, but CT felt right.
>>
>>1214731
I don't have a single perfect city, or even think there is one.

I love cities; having lived in major urban centers, smaller towns, and relatively rural areas, and having traveled a lot, I know that city life is for me. And despite its many flaws, I won't be shocked if I spend (most of) the rest of my life in or near my adopted home city of San Francisco, CA, USA. Some things suck (too expensive, increasingly homogenous with tech douchebags and the businesses that cater to them, serious homelessness problem with few good solutions, seedy and dangerous in spots), but some things have remained wonderful throughout my many years here (setting and architecture both physically extremely beautiful; my favorite climate--rarely hot, never truly cold; diverse and interesting population [still] makes for good food, culture, and arts). And I appreciate our density and walkability--I think any city where you can't walk somewhere you want to go, or where you need to drive all the time, is not a legitimate urban center (I'm talking to you, LA, every "city" in Texas, and Atlanta, among many others).

But I also like diversity, and living abroad, so I have a long running list of cities I'd like to try living in, from London to Hanoi to Mexico City to, believe it or not, Geneva (I have work there). I'm not sure there is any one city for me but I'm happy to give many of them my time.
>>
>>1214731
Bangkok is literally the perfect city. When I die I want my ashes scattered at Annie's.
>>
>>1215417
I lived in BKK for more than a little while and will always love it, but neither the climate nor the air quality qualify it for the world's perfect city. You just like hookers.
>>
>>1215420
What good is clean air and good weather if you don't have cheap, pretty, eager whores?
>>
>>1215423
Legitimate arguments, no question. BKK is still a little sticky for me.
>>
>>1215364
Camps Bay is so fucking awesome. Cape Town in general is. Beautiful women, beautiful beaches, great food, etc. It's heaven on Earth for a 20 something single dude.
>>
For me it would be:
>feel safe when walking the streets; low crime-rate
>good public transport
>cold or mild most of the year
>generally friendly people
>good nightlife
>good food
>plenty of disposable income
>non-intrusive government

I guess the closest to that criteria is somewhere in eastern japan or seoul. There's very few places in the world you feel genuinely safe in now, especially cities.
>>
Busan, South Korea

Amazing food. Traditional or international. Jagalchi market

So much fucking shopping. Nampodong, or the underground shopping in Seomyeon

Plenty of clubs and bars in Seomyeon.

Pretty cafes that are posted constantly on instagram so it's easy find what you're looking for. Two beaches

Community participation, local sports events and music concerts

Great public transportation

>Basically a balance of a nice restaurants, strong community but big enough to have the ability to fuck club sluts, some pretty places to take pics.

I don't even live here but I visit most weekends.
>>
>>1215500
The guy you quoted here.
I was living in HK when I was a 20 something single guy and had a blast, too. CT would probably have been a lot cheaper lol.
But as a 33yo dude with a wife and baby boy, I can tell you I could definitely see us living in CT and enjoying ourselves there. Some places seem good regardless of age I think.
>>
>>1215507
Poland is the second safest country in OPEC, behind Japan. As long as you're white or can pass for white then Poland is a paradise.
>>
>>1215839
>Poland is a paradise
That just seems completely false. If it really was a paradise millions of them wouldn't be coming to Britain to clean toilets.
>>
Sydney, any larger town in France/Germany after the Reconquista
>>
Really loved Charleston and Savannah when I went to South Carolina and Georgia. Fuck the Northeast, the South where it's at.
>>
>>1215500
I don't know about that, I would definitely prefer lots of places in South America or Eastern Europe over that for a single guy. Cape Town is absolutely full of tall, very good looking, badass white guys. If you go to SA or EE, though, you still have drop-dead gorgeous women everywhere and you'll be exotic, richer, and taller than most as an average white guy. Just have to learn a different language.
>>
>>1215840
People flock to where they'll make the most money. And the places where you'll make the most money for most things (the US/UK/Australia) also happen to have relatively awful quality of life, because the culture is quite cold and you need to work crazy amounts.
>>
>>1214737
key west is the most expensive.
st. pete isnt bad. good live music scene too
>>
>>1215939
>Cape Town is absolutely full of tall, very good looking, badass white guys.
Well that shouldn't be a problem if you are above average... I appreciate your honesty but not everyone wants/needs to go the easy way just to avoid competition.
Feels good to hang around girl who like you, and are not seeing you as a walking ATM (which is ultimately the reason why uglies are succesful in SA/EE)
>>
>lots of young people
>a big mountain nearby
>a big river running through the city
>located on a lake
>lots of pubs, bars and a few clubs
>bike friendly, everything important reachable within fifteen minutes by bike.
Apart from the river part, I live in this city.
>>
For me it's Tokyo.

I live in Vienna though, which usually ranks as #1 or #2 in most lists when it comes to livability so I can't complain really
>>
>>1216054
Minneapolis again, aside from the mountain.

But the young people mostly stay in their established social groups.
>>
>>1215322
Too small for my taste, but I did enjoy the summer there
>>
>>1216054
Calgary, AB
Victoria, BC
>>
>>1214731
New Orleans without the crime, humidity, and tourists
>>
>>1214805
This so much.

How can I expatriate to Barcelona?
>>
>>1215930
Best answer tbqh

Take away the ocean requirement OP, it's incredibly overrated. There are so many more choices of lakeside or riverside places that offer the same benefits of the ocean and they won't cost half as much as a Mediterranean/Australian/Californian/Floridian port city
>>
>>1216279
Great city to visit, not to live in
>>
>>1215940
Hurr durr awful quality of life...

Http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-18/melbourne-ranked-worlds-most-liveable-city-for-sixth-year/7761642
>>
>>1216417
Laughable list, they rank cities on diversity points and the number of Starbucks outlets.

I mean, Vancouver the 3rd-most liveable city in the world? You can't even afford to buy a house there.
>>
>>1216423
Whenever I see Vancouver or Toronto on one of these most livable cities lists I laugh. I've lived in both cities and both are pretty shit. For many reasons.
>>
God tier :
Barcelona
Vienna
Milan

Top tier:
Medellín
Guanajuato
Sevilla

Good tier:
Los Angeles
Montreal
Munich
>>
>>1216417
hurr durr guess they didn't take everything into account. #6 least most affordable city in the world for housing.
http://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/01/23/sydney-has-the-second-most-unaffordable-housing-in-the-world/
>>
>>1217047
>Guanajuato
How have I never heard about this city? I was just looking at it in google maps street view and it looks incredible!
>>
>>1214731

> live in west LA
> Bike/bus/train everywhere
> A bit on the pricey side, but there are cheap places available. All affordable to me, so I don't mind.
> Thriving tech hub that is slowly gaining steam. Tons of game studios to work at.
> Food is out of this world. It's been an absolute treat eating out here.

I'm sure better places exist, but LA is pretty alright if you tune everything just right.
>>
>>1217143
I live in North Hollywood which I consider to be the most affordable yet not terrible places to live in LA and I'm starting to get weary of housing prices around here.

Median housing in Santa Monica is now at 7 figures, I'd like to buy a house in Burbank but a decent one is over 800k.

If I ever decide to have kids I won't be able to afford a house if I need to pay a mortgage and bills on my income alone. I made $70k last year and I feel priced out of about 75% of this city (bars, nightclubs, housing, restaurants). My GF makes $60k and we feel trapped in our roach infested apartment.

We can afford some nice furniture and vacations, etc but as far as housing goes we're pretty fucked here. Trying to get into 6 figure territory but it's not easy in my field (architecture). Seriously considering moving.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to stay somewhere with palm trees and a lot to do for young, active people. Was thinking maybe Vegas or Southern Florida. My family is from Northern California so that's an option also but nothing really makes me wanna move there other than living close to family.
>>
>>1217076
I'm a Canadian living here (Guanajuato) now. There are so many expats here. The city is amazing.
>>
>>1217597
Are there good opportunities to teach English there?
>>
>>1216054
Athens,GA
well maybe not the river
>>
>>1215196
Exactly the same answer. I've been to quite a few countries but every moment in Seville is a delight. The food, gardens and buildings are all great
>>
>>1214731
You're describing Auckland. It's like a cheaper Sydney - that isn't as hot and has a nicer international airport.

My perfect city:

>cool summers
>plemty of ocean
>far enough from the equator to have a noticeable difference in daylight hours between summer and winter
>small, tight-knit communities
>clean, minimal litter and pollution
>fast, efficient transport - both around the city and to other destinastions

Auckland is okay in this sense, but I think smaller towns in Germany or Denmark might suit me better.
>>
>>1214920
Looks comfy af
>>
>>1217956

Athens is like most college towns, just smaller and more poor the farther you go from UGA.

Still, it's nice. Until the construction pushes everyone out.
>>
Assuming money not an issue, Vegas (on strip) for me.
>live in one of entertainment/food/concert venue meccas of the world.
>great strip views, but out the other window views of beautiful mountains, especially in winter when snow-capped.
>one day, party in some of the best bars/clubs on earth, next day take your 4X4 out to the desert for complete solitude
>hot women who are literally in town in a lot of cases to fuck
>SF, LA, SD less than 2 hour flight away
>>
File: 20170206_183816.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170206_183816.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
>>1214731
Perth is a boring place to visit but a very nice place to live in, desu

>everybody's nice but reserved, not overly polite
>hot but so breezy, it's mild
>free wifi virtually anywhere
>architecture's nice and modern for the most part
>very clean, need to squint to find the dirty parts
>food and pubs everywhere
>close to beaches
>some of the best public transportation systems in the world
>King's Park is p e r f e c t

a few complaints include almost zero nightlife unless you spend your hours in pubs or Elizabeth Quay if there's a festival going on and how bloody expensive it can be (you buy a bottle of coke for nearly $3 there). That and everything exciting there is usually outside of Perth and it's mostly for sightseeing or petting roos than anything else.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.