[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will I be happier in another country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: depressed400.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
depressed400.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
Will I be happier in another country?
>>
>>1214603
no
>>
>>1214603
All flippancy aside, no, almost certainly not, especially if you're actually depressed. Work on fixing that.

But all that said, you'll probably be distracted, at least for a while, in another country, so there's no reason not to travel.

It's dumb to think that expatriating will fix you. You have to fix yourself, maybe with professional help. But it probably won't make you worse.
>>
>>1214603
It will give you another chance socially. If you're not happy because of your social life then maybe. If it's more because of your emotional state or professional life, then no.
>>
>>1214603
It depends on why you're unhappy. I recently moved to Australia on a work holiday and I can tell you that my life here is 1000% better. I'm genuinely a lot happier. Depression can't be fixed with moving somewhere but it helps when you get a lot of external stimulation to make you forget about it.

If you're not depressed but just unhappy with where life has taken you then a move somewhere else, not even out of the country, could be a good thing. If you have nothing to lose then do it.
>>
File: 1481586427013.png (524KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1481586427013.png
524KB, 500x750px
Why are you currently unhappy in your own country?

Is the job market so bad there that you cant get work?
Is it taboo for you to practice your religion there?
Is your race, gender or sexual orientation often frowned upon?
Do you feel the country is going down hill economically and want out?
Do you just dont get along with anybody there socially and feel like the odd one out?

If you said Yes to any of the above questions then you may have a reason to believe you'll have a better life elsewhere. However if you're just depressed for other reason, then I suggest you look deeper as to what is causing your depression as a move will only be a momentary distraction from what's really troubling you.
>>
No.

At first it will be stressful trying to adjust to a new country, culture, and possibly even a new language. Then you may have fun experiencing new cultural events and holidays, but you'll end up reverting back to the things that bothered you. And you won't be happy. You'll also realize there are things you miss in your home country and it will slowly eat away at you. Try to figure out what you can fix at home before resorting to moving out of the country.
>>
>>1214603
Hell yes. Winter is beautiful but it makes even Vancouver a fucking hellhole that drains all your energy to do anything because it's so dark and cold or wet. Can't wait til I get back to Sunny California again.
>>
>>1214603
Probably, I'm stuck in Canada for a few more years and I want to slit my wrists. I've seen the world outside this shithole and I want out.
>>
It depends on what you are running from. If the people, culture and enviroment around you make you feel shitty on a general level, I guess it will. If you have deep psychological issues they will catch up with you eventually, no matter where you are.
>>
File: IMG_1448.jpg (134KB, 518x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1448.jpg
134KB, 518x500px
>>1214626
That's the only reason I'd ever immigrate. A new chance on the social ladder. I'll always be the troubled guy, the drug user, the fuckup. I have a psychiatric history and I feel that I'll never be taken seriously again in my social circles. The worst thing to deal with though is that I will probably never be able to ACTUALLY leave if I wanted to, because I am a NEET on welfare and I have no real degrees. (I am schizophrenic and became psychotic around age 18-19. Effectively fucking up my college course. It's hard to build a new life if you have little to build it with. I moved out my parent's place 1.5 years ago and most of my current welfare income goes to basic necessities. Thank God the little money I save at least allows me to travel throughout Europe occasionaly. (I'm from a Western European country) I'm trying to get a degree again and hold a actual job, but simply being alive sometimes takes all my strenght and determination. Tl;dr, my dream is to leave it all behind and move to Italy but I know it is very unrealistic if things keep going the way they are going. I'll always be stuck in this dump and I'll always be stuck inside my own head.
>>
>>1214722
I also just fucking love Italy.
>>
Reach macimum happiness where you are.
Then seek expansion of said happiness tentatively
>>
The only ill will to be found is that which you bring yourself.
>>
OP here, American. Basically, I can't handle this culture. It's too busy, it's shallow, and women have extremely high standards.

-Never any time to hang out with my closest friend because we are all "too busy". I work 50 hours or so a week.

-people's idea of a good time is going out and getting so drunk you can't remember anything 3 times a week.

-Every meal I eat, I feel like I am rushing to get the food down my throat, like cement, because I have shit to do. I don't even remember the last time I sat down and enjoyed a meal without it being rushed.

-every girlfriend I've ever had has left me. I feel like women are on such a high pedestal in the Western world that it's impossible to keep one as an average guy, even though I work hard, am in shape, and am intelligent. I've made it work in the past, but only for short periods of time before I get dumped, and each time, it was like running uphill. It feels so hard for me as an average guy to keep an average woman.

-work to afford car and apartment close to work so that I can work to afford car and apartment close to work. Like running in a hamster wheel. Very little time off each year. Work here is seen as a virtue, and if you aren't working your ass off, people wonder what the fuck is wrong with you. Living to work is the American way, not working to live.

Really, life here has become a monotonous, lonely, futile grind. I'm educated. I'm a good person. I'm self disciplined. I'm a hard worker. And I feel like there must be more to life than this. I'm inclined to believe that the problem is not me, but my environment.
>>
File: monk in thailand.jpg (68KB, 748x589px) Image search: [Google]
monk in thailand.jpg
68KB, 748x589px
>>1214847
>I can't handle this culture.

There's more than one culture here, mate. Lived here 50 years, nothing you describe fits my life.

Sure, maybe changing what country you are in will shake you out of your rut, maybe that will be easier than changing your liv=fe where you are.

But it is not a necessary precondition: no matter where you go, there you are..
>>
>>1214847
Honestly, I think you just need new friends.
That sort of culture is present in a way in all countries.
I mean in Europe in general we're more chill, and in Africa and South America they're even more chill, but still.
I think you'd love it anywhere in Eastern Europe, but I doubt you could make money there. Then again, you don't need money to have a good life there.
>>
>>1214722
Look into construction as a job

>>1214603
No, though traveling might help you understand your unhappiness. You shouldn't be unhappy. You can have bad days, bad moods, really bad days, bad years, etc. but generally you should be able to pick out and focus on something that you enjoy -- the weather, the food, the mountains, the ocean, video games, etc. Traveling to a destitute area and seeing kids on the brink of starvation still laughing and kicking around a wicker ball might help you snap out of bitch mode and come to terms that your life is generally comfortable and you have more reason to be happy than unhappy.

If you're clinically depressed, travelling won't do shit (nor will you be able to just "snap out of it"), but the planning stage and the anticipation stage can help stave off suicide.
>If I save up for 4 months, I can spend a week learning to surf in Hawaii.
>>
>>1214847
>don't have time to hang out
>I work {only} 50 hours a week
>girls break up with me
>I don't enjoy my meals because I rush them
>I'm leaving right on the edge of my means
So? What's any of that have to do with happiness?

Put in some volunteer time at a homeless shelter or an old folks' home. Focusing on yourself is creating a pity party. You need to do some service for a change. If you're only working 50 hours per week, you have PLENTY of time to lift someone else -- which helps with personal empowerment (what you're severely lacking right now). With your attitude, when you travel you'll just be homesick, hate the food, and you'll be crying yourself to sleep over why you didn't find a girl slutty enough to hook up with you for the one day when you're passing through.
>>
>>1214603

Take it from me, am travelling. Initially you will be happier, out of your comfort zone and having great experiences.

Eventually, you will be as depressed as you were back home.
>>
>>1214871
See this is what I'm talking about. I feel like I'm overworked. I'm exhausted all the time, and I get told to work more. Honestly, I just don't get it. I don't get this country and I don't get your logic.
>>
>>1214722
Ah Italy is not that good. Especially if you'd look for a new chance on the social ladder. Italy gives nothing, it just takes.
>>
Nah man, it will catch up to you. I certainly felt better but it doesn't go away with you're miserable.
>>
You will never be happy.
>>
>>1214603
Don't look for the happines outside, but inside yourself.
>>
>>1214847
>Basically, I can't handle this culture

I think you'd be surprised how hard it would be to adapt to a different one, all the little things that are different about it. Not to mention the fact that you'll always be treated as an outsider, it'll likely make you more lonely, not less.
>>
>>1214847
Sounds like American city culture, at least get the fuck out of the city
>>
>>1214847
>-every girlfriend I've ever had has left me. I feel like women are on such a high pedestal in the Western world that it's impossible to keep one as an average guy, even though I work hard, am in shape, and am intelligent. I've made it work in the past, but only for short periods of time before I get dumped, and each time, it was like running uphill. It feels so hard for me as an average guy to keep an average woman.

Quit with this mentality. It's bullshit. Maybe you had a bad run of girlfriends (unlikely) or maybe it's you. Maybe you treated them poorly. Maybe you're selfish. Maybe you were trying to make it work with girls that weren't looking for long-term. Quit blaming girls, in general, and look at yourself.
>>
>>1215122

> zero introspection

lol western girl detected. Enjoy the single life princess, men are done working for you.
>>
>>1215185

You're just proving my point. You blame anonymous women for your problems.

And I'm a dude btw.
>>
>>1214607
>>1214609
>>1214614

Welcome to /trv/ xD
>>
>>1215194
>xD
>>
b
>>
>>1214603
>Will I be happier in another country?
Obviously no.
>>
>>1214603
Maybe.

If you are miserable at home or feeling a lot of stress and pressure AND can handle being stared all day because you're white (it's not so bad when the girls are doing it) AND you can handle dealing with lots of insane little kids at one time during your new ESL teaching job, then yes, it's a chance to get away from everything and grow without friends and family around.
>>
>>1214847
I'm situated in Europe and I get the feeling that it is pretty much the same here, which makes it wonder if it is a good idea to work 50 hours a week especially if it is just a job and not one's vocation.
The important bit is that It makes me wonder if it is a good idea to call oneself average though. Average equals to did a good start and then barely managed to finish. There has to be a thing that you actually love or at least are good at.
I don't think that moving will change that much in your case, but I can't rule out that you should change something with your life. Do something outside your comfort zone, find a different job or even better change industry. Have you thought of becoming an entrepreneur?
You will find another girlfriend and you will manage to keep her as soon as you've started addressing the issues with yourself.
>>
>>1215055
That's what I figured, combined with lotsa unemployment. I'd need a small fortune to live a comfortable life there
>>
>>1214603
you're running away only from yourself. and that you can't. so fix yourself. surely travelling around is great but
>>
>>1214603
>>1214847
Can you losers stay on r9k? Seriously, no one cares about your stupid bullshit.
>>
>>1215187
I dont have problems but nice projection m8. :)
>>
>>1215851

Are you not OP?
>>
>>1215072
fuck off faggot
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.