[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap Countries to live in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

Hey guys. I'm in a position at the moment where I have money but no obligations. I've been studying programming and realised recently that since the only thing I really need is my laptop, I could live in another country while doing it.

I've got around $5000, and only plan on spending a few months somewhere. I've looked at a couple of cheap living articles which all list the usual countries. Thailand, Taiwan, vietnam, China etc. Are these good options or are there better alternatives? I guess my only requirement would be decent WiFi.
>>
>>1214478
Try the Balkan. hidden pearls.
>>
>>1214478
With that budget Eastern Europe or SEA. Be more specific, what are your likes/dislikes?
>>
File: georgia-map.jpg (107KB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
georgia-map.jpg
107KB, 500x311px
>cheap
>great food
>capital city is fairly modern with everything you need
>great countryside, mountains, sea, remote villages, winter resorts, etc..
>great wifi in most places

This country may not be cheap as Vietnam or some other places, but with 5000$ I think you'll manage for several months.
>>
>>1214742
>but with 5000$ I think you'll manage for several months.
>several months

lol
I'm from Germany and that kind of budget lasts me seven months here. I can only imagine how long you could survive on 5k in Georgia.

t. unemployed
>>
File: 94967927.jpg (343KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
94967927.jpg
343KB, 1200x794px
>>1214755
yeah you're right, according to current exchange rates 5k $ is around 13,200 Georgian Lari.

I'm from Georgia and I usually spend like 1k Lari per month, so he can live here quiet well for a year or more.
>>
Keep in mind you speak Georgian, won't he be ripped off with everything, especially with renting a place to live, if he makes it that far without speaking the language.

I have lived several other Eastern European countries and all housing options that were open to foreigners without any knowledge of the local language were far more expensive than those locals had.
>>
>>1214782
well about housing yes that's a thing as well, but if you'll be careful then you'll find your way and wont get ripped off, there are sites and places that offer housing options in Tbilisi and you can see general prices and stuff so you won't agree on anything stupid. Most of the young people speak English, and elders mostly Russian. and most of the people are willing to help you. someone may even offer you their place to stay for free before you find anything.

from what I've heard you can rent a small cozy flat for around 250$ per month, dunno if that's cheap or not
>>
Not OP but similar situation. Have some money, want to live somewhere else for a bit in Europe.

For some reason have always been drawn to Estonia. If i want to finish my degree in Tallinn, would the USD go relatively far and comfortably there.

I just want a good average place to live with access to relatively cheap Uni. In Europe.

The problem is i have an Associates degree and additional Computer science courses, not sure what all will transfer, but i dont care, if it's cheap enough i can re take classes and not care. This is a more long term plan and have a budget of 30k usd
>>
>>1214784
Do Georgians get pissed if you try talking to them in Russian? Is it still somewhat of a lingua franca?
>>
>>1214820
Not really, it's still lingua franca. But that trend is fading, and English is becoming dominant second language. Given another 10 year or so Russian won't matter anymore here.

Personally I don't speak any Russian and I'm 21.
>>
File: 64031146.png (31KB, 300x162px) Image search: [Google]
64031146.png
31KB, 300x162px
>>1214755
>$5000 lasts you 7 months in Germany

We're talking rent, food, transportation and everything.
Unless Germany really became a 3rd world country that fast. I thought it would take a couple of decades.
>>
>>1214838
>We're talking rent, food, transportation and everything.
Yes, exactly.

Unemployment benefits in Germany for a single person living in his own household amount to €409 each month + money for rent and heating, which may be up to around €400. You have to cover all other living expenses with the €409 which include gas, internet, electricity, water cost, public transport etc. Everything.
So in murribucks that's roughly $860 dollars each month in total. That means if you're unemployed in Germany you're expected to survive for 6 months on a budget of $5k. That is, if your local employment agency, called "jobcenter", doesn't decide to cut your benefits. In 2016 a whopping 134,390 people were affected by such welfare cuts. Enjoy becoming homeless if you can't find a job.

Fun fact: Currently well over 6 million people in Germany regularly receive unemployment benefits in some way. Either because they are unemployed - duh - or because they can't afford their living expenses themselves DESPITE working part-time or even full-time. That means they earn less than $860 each month so they're still reliant on benefits to get by.
Germans are a bunch of autistic cucks. We love working just for work's sake even if the job is trash and the wage isn't any better. That's why our economy is doing so well too.

>Unless Germany really became a 3rd world country that fast.
Working poor has been a thriving phenomenon in Germany since the introduction of several reforms called "Agenda 2010" in 2003. It's not like it's a recent development or anything.
Taking in millions of third-world immigrants without passports is not likely going to help the socioeconomic situation though.
>>
>>1214478
is that $5000 USD? or HKD AUD NZD etc?

there are a multitude of cheap places, and staying in a few spots for longer makes it much cheaper

be aware that you might struggle studying overseas, with all the distractions.

I'd stay in a more urban area, eastern europe would be ideal
SEA might be tougher, it's dirt cheap but I could never concentrate with the noise etc
not sure about south america or the midle east; though I hear there are some nice places in the middle east

you might run into problems though, living costs will be in foreign currency, but a lot of unexpected costs will hurt you in dollars
I dropped $300 on vaccinations, you have flights, you might need to repair/replace computer components etc, you will want insurance (just get medical+evac), buying everything you need in-country will still cost you a bit
>>
>>1214918
OP here. I'm actually from the UK so it should be pounds. Typed dollars by mistake. Georgia looks nice, and yea I think I'm going to look for the cheaper places in Europe rather than SEA.

I'm not too worried about the unexpected costs as I've got no set time I have to stay anywhere for. Hopefully after the initial set up costs it shouldn't be too expensive. I'll keep an emergency fund to get back home if something goes wrong, as well as getting insurance.
>>
>>1214924
europe is so well linked that it won't be an issue for you, I would forgo most of the insurance myself

I was only in eastern europe briefly, so I couldn't tell you much
poland was very modern and accessible, how cheap it would be relatively I couldn't say
>>
Chiang Mai in thailand. Decent internet, cheap cost of living, fairly clean, great food. Do it OP
>>
>>1214478
Working remote is shit. If you're in the USA you can easily take onsite freelance work that is much more rewarding and as much vacations as you want.
>>
>>1214936
My research spots Chiang Mai apartments (1 bedroom studio) at $80 USD. I'm considering it, myself.

Any idea if it'd be frugal to get Muay Thai training there? I'm looking to completely overhaul myself and figured it would take care of the physical part.
>>
>>1214936
I'm in thailand soon, is it a good place to visit generally or is it more geared to setting up camp?
>>
Monthly places on airbnb are good places to look, your best bet is to get the whole place because a month in a shared room will destroy your psyche
>>
>>1214960
>>1214962
I don't live there. Met some dudes who lived there whilst doing IT work remotely. It's a completely different side of thailand compared to the southern islands and bangkok. There is definitely Muay thai there, they have a huge ring with fights like nightly I think. It was the best muay thai I saw in thailand. The southern muay thai fights I think were slightly rigged because of all the gambling and shady practices. They also had a sword fight show at the chiang mai one, pretty cool.

It is a must see if you're just traveling around thailand. I was only there for 3 days and it was my favourite part of the country.
>>
>>1214966
>Chiang Mai in thailand
thanks man, might check it out
>>
>>1214891
Yes, but you have to be German or a "refugee" to receive benefits right?
>>
>>1215449
refugee don't get nearly as much benefits regardless of what /pol/ tells you. Only legal citizens
>>
I live in germany and these are my expenses per month:
350€ 60m^2 apartment
25€ internet
21€ electricity
30€ heating
~100€ food (60€ doable)
>>
>>1215455
Where in east Germany can you live that cheaply?

t. Hamburg
>>
>>1214478
When people need some anonymous kid behind a laptop to work without any human interactions, guess what? They hire them from overseas on cheap websites for $25/job from those people who not only live already in the cheap country, but live cheaply with a dozen roommates or family, something you wouldn't stand to do. You should finish your education, get your job in the USA or a multi-national company, and then and if it's established for a while and you have a successful resume of proven skills, both, consider trips of good length, and eventual remoteness entirely. To me? You sound like a kid who is failing college (at the moment) and thinking of quitting with only some education under the belt. If your trade intends to be CS, you need your doctorate, and at least your masters degree if you don't have any true resume jobs under your belt already.

You can live cheaply on the west coast of Florida in a home that costs less than 75K, and near enough to a major airport leading to an international hub. But, you're going to find that bad internet the world over means you really don't get to live cheaply, and when it comes to going to/from home for your inevitable Christmas, even every other year, bam, there's your savings in your low pay low tier lifestyle. The airfare will see you forking out 10-20k a year. Imagine that back home into your savings account and funding very nice trips throughout your working year at your higher salary, plus ownership of a home.

So, yea, blow your (measly start in life) savings on relocation, and travel now, but you and I both know this isn't really a dream that is much more than escapist tendencies due to not really making it right now. A really good developer can live for stretches of a time in places that aren't about going into third world conditions or roughing it and living cheaply. You can open your laptop most anywhere and check in with your boss, but ask why people in IT don't all do that, hate of travel?
>>
>>1214960
>>1214966
Chiang Mai has a huge farang e-lancer community, but don't come expecting much for 80USD. Long term (1yr) rentals for neat little condos start at around 250USD

I rent a comfy condo in Bangkek for $350, but my place is pretty out of the way in one of the urban growth areas. YMMV but for a condo hermit lifestyle I'd figure around 1000USD/month in BKK at the minimum.

If looking for a bit more down-to-earth lifestyle, Vietnam is a tad cheaper and the beach in Danang is really nice.
>>
>>1215464
Small town thuringia
>>
>>1215454
>refugee don't get nearly as much benefits
They get exactly 50€ less in benefits than actual Germans. That's pretty close, and the fugees have the huge advantage of being unable to have their benefits cut.

t. German
>>
>>1215454
See>>1215571

But keep watching John Oliver for your news
>>
>>1215466
Avoid Vietnam. Shitty wifi and the government monitors everything you do online.
>>
>>1216019
Great Comment. Really helped to bring the Point across that was already made.
>>
>>1215465
> 10-20k/year on airfare

What the fuck are you talking about? A trip or two back home would run at MOST 2k/year, still a lot less than he would actually save not living in the first world.
>>
>>1216217
>A trip or two back home would run at MOST 2k/year,
Not for the holidays.
>>
>>1216236
You're fucking nuts mate
>>
>>1216143
They actually got a new cable recently, and general quality of IT infrastructure is quite high, though last mile can still be wonky.

>the government monitors everything you do online
Well, shit, ain't that the case the world over.
>>
I am similar to op. I am wondering what is the costs for a frugal person to live in thailand. Trying to figure out how much money I need to make per month online. What is the monthly costs?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.