[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>speak fluent Spanish >want to visit the Dominican Republic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

>speak fluent Spanish
>want to visit the Dominican Republic with my gf and 2 other friends
>got this idea of buying a car, and travelling around the country
>can find next to nothing info about the DR outside of resorts

the DR seems like the most underdeveloped country as far as Real Travelling (TM) is concerned. Plenty of info on Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, maybe a couple other smaller resort areas, but next to nothing as far as travelling around. Has anyone here done the DR off the beaten path?

I also have a friend who was born and raised in the DR but since he has no family/friends down there, all the info he could give me was the usual (ie don't flash money duh) and not much about the country itself.
>>
I'm dominican AMA.
>>
From what I saw, you would be taking a relatively big risk driving around the DR. Roads are shit, directions are nonexistent and drivers are crazy.
>>
>>1213642
Yeah, seems like baseball players keep getting killed down there for that reason
>>
>>1213603
>going to DR with a gf
Thats like bringing a bowl of oatmeal to an extensive ice cream shop
>>
>>1213620
Do you prefer English or Spanish?

>>1213649
My friend told me there is a 85% chance those baseball players were driving drunk

>>1213667
And you say this based on what?
>>
It's a dirty and disgusting country. I've read so much bad about Haiti, I was shocked when I crossed the border and saw that DR isn'g much different.
>>
>>1213603
So you want to drive around in Dominican Republic but know next to nothing about it ?
Then why would want to do that ? Why DR ?

Personally I have been once (to a DR beach resort).
The beach was so beautiful and the people outside the resorts were so annoying that I only ventured out once.
>>
>>1213729

Don't take this personally but you going to a fucking resort and venturing 200m from the main gate means absolutely fuck all. Most Dominican resorts are built near the poorest areas, yes the country is poor but if you didn't go to Santiago, Santo Domingo or any other small city that wasn't a slum built around a resort, you really don't know anything
>>
File: 5544994795_4ee6dec5a6_b.jpg (463KB, 1024x481px) Image search: [Google]
5544994795_4ee6dec5a6_b.jpg
463KB, 1024x481px
>>1213642
The southeast region(from the capital to Punta Cana), has some of the best roads in the country, but the people there aren't that friendly as the ones in the north.

>>1213649
It's really a combination of problem: law enforcement is almost non existant+shitty roads+loldrunkdriving= highest road traffic death rate in the world.

>>1213710
>Do you prefer English or Spanish?
El que tu quieras amigo.

>>1213667
This guy gets it.

>>1213713
As shitty as my country sometimes can be, it is way too far from being as bad as Haiti, and FYI the border with Haiti has some of the poorest zones in the country since so many haitians have invaded the place.
>>
>>1213667
/fit/ here, what's wrong with oatmeal?
Also, DR women are mostly shit
>>
>>1213742
Why do you call it a "fucking" resort, dipshit?
Wanna travel and explore a country? Wow that's awesome.
But pick another destination.
DR's best features is its beaches, and that is why most tourists stays at resorts
>>
>>1213825
>Also, DR women are mostly shit
Some, mostly haitian descent, some others are fine, and some others are GOAT.
>>
>>1213827
>>1213827
>DR's best features is its beaches
Yes it is, but that doesn't mean there is not something more to visit, many tourist travel packages include visits to historic spots like the first city in the new world or some natural monuments like the Damajagua 27 waterfalls.
>>
>>1213827
>Why do you call it a "fucking" resort, dipshit?

because its a "fucking" resort, dipshit

>hurr durr I went to a gated resort
>hurr durr I ventured out of the resort for half a day where we took a tour in a rum factory
>hurr durr the entire country sux lol don't go
>>
>>1213838
Fucking grow up
Some of us REALLY enjoy swimming in pristine beaches, getting drunk and fucking other tourists that you meet at the lobby bar.
I appreciate a comfy room with AC and cable TV when I'm bored or if I wanna rest before I hit the local clubs.

Wanna travel like a hobo and venture all over the country? Hey no problem. But there are destinations that are much better to do just that. And Dominican Republic ain't one of them
>>
>>1213871
>But there are destinations that are much better to do just that. And Dominican Republic ain't one of them

and you know this based on the fact you stayed at a resort where u got drunk with watered down cheap rum like a dumb gringo

fucking grow up
>>
Dominican here too, and I must say. DR has it all, it has beaches, mountains, it all depends on your taste. Down to Santo Domingo, night light is amazing, you can visit the Colonial Zone, believe it or not, DR has one of the highest GDP and best economy of the caribbean.

The thing with Punta Cana and Puerto Plata is that those are the ''states'' with the most tourist intake, but you can go to Samana, Jarabacoa, Terrenas, Cabarete (IMO the place with the greatest night life in DR) etc.

If you have any other question feel free to ask.

>INB4 Girls go from shitty to smoking hot
>INB4 Yes, driving sucks, sorry about that
>>
>>1213642

Roads might be shit depending where you are, we have great freeways, you can use the GPS anywhere you like, stop with that bs.

>>1213713

Haiti is a poor country and we on the other hand are somewhat rich, don't say we're dirty and disgusting if you never been here.

>>1213729

Yes, we dominican tend to be friendly to a extent, for us is something normal but for a traveller/foreigner might be a little akward but that's some cultural shit.

>>1213825

Wrong pal, we dominican are a mix of different race, you can friend girls from every flavor in here.
>>
>>1213825
>DR women are mostly shit
Found the flaming fgt
Go spam r9k or something >>>/lgbt/
>>
>>1213603
I'll tell you my experience my friend.

I was born in the US by two Dominicans parents and literally went there every 2/3 years since I was born (not kidding). I have many relatives there from Santo Domingo to Santiago to Monte Cristi. My family also been to resorts in DR while we visit family so I know a couple of good ones.

Now, as for traveling around the country, I do not recommend it if you do not have a native with you for a couple of reasons.

1) There are some people who will try to rip you off/ give you false info.

2) If you reek of foreigner they will assume you have some good stuff and try to jump you and steal your stuff

3) Officials are corrupt as fuck in this country, one day I remember driving through with my cousin in one car and my dad in front of us. Military pulled us over and asked us for money to "help them out". My dad told them that the car behind us was with him so he gave some money for us, however, they took money from us anyways. In my 20 years of visiting this was the ONLY time it has happened to me but I'm giving my experience.

4) There are little to no signs telling you were to go and many backroads, unless you know the area I don't suggest you travel the entire country BUT they do have main highways to take you to every city.

I'm gonna tell you my experience now going alone to DR, without my parents this time and it's my first time doing it. Last summer I took my Portuguese girlfriend because she didn't ever go outside the country and def never to an island. I went to an all inclusive hotel, called "Costa Dorada, Iberostar Hotel" in Puerto Plata. I totally recommend this place, nice rooms, friendly people and some of the servers actually remember your usual without asking. I had this one guy already knowing how much cream I have on my sugar and how many cups of coffee my girlfriend usually had.

Anyways, I had a shuttle take us from the airport to the hotel. (cont)
>>
>>1214392
The two expeditions I did was a buggy tour around the country side. Now we did a couple of spots where we would stop and watch the scenery and have to locals sell us stuff. THIS is where they try to rip you off, some dude tried to make me pay 20 bucks for some common sea shells, tiny too. I speak fluent Spanish, to the point where the locals thought I was a native to the country and just came back to visit. Made a deal to get a giant shell and a tiny one for 5 bucks.

Another of the expeditions we went zip lining, horse back riding, and walked through the forest to higher positions for the zip lines. I recommend wearing breathable, light colored, light materials cause there was one girl who had heat exhaustion. Luckily, I warned my girlfriend about it before hand so we were both fine, the air there is very much different from the states, it's much thicker especially on hot days.

If you have any specific questions about my trip or DR let me know I'll be happy to answer, it's overall a beautiful country with a lot of history; you just gotta be smart on how to move around.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.