[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

San Francisco Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1334640808377.jpg (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1334640808377.jpg
1MB, 1200x900px
I have never been to San Francisco before even though I have traveled across the land, searching far and wide. What is there to do in San Francisco and what do I need to avoid in San Francisco?
>>
Avoid Haight Street. Visit Golden Gate Park.
>>
>>1212797
Get out of SF and go see the redwoods if you haven't. I wasn't a huge fan of SF but Sausalito was nice.

Homeless people everywhere.....
>>
Been to San Fran once. If you can, go do Alcatraz, Chinatown, and Golden Gate Park. After that, get out. See Yosemite, Big Trees State Park, go hiking at Tahoe, something. Enjoy.
>>
I live near SF, don't go to SF.

It's a cesspool of literal shit, drug addicts and retarded people who don't know how to drive or walk. It's the worst US city to visit.
>>
I'm from about 5.5 hours north of SF and visited there at least once a year from about age 6-22 so I feel entitled to comment on others' posts :-)

>>1212811
Haight Street is actually kind of interesting IMO, just be aware that is full of bums. But it's not so much the destitute, insane, dying old man type of bums, more the drugged out pretend-1960s revivalist bums. They will walk by you muttering "shrooms" and I assume that means you could buy that from them. Oh yeah, I bought weed there once, haven't thought about that in ages.

>>1213033
Do see the redwoods desu. And yeah, SF has a lot of homeless people, depending on the neighborhood of course.

>>1213088
Alcatraz is kind of a bullshit tourist destination IMO, but I guess it's not as offensive (as in garish souvenirs, etc) as it could be. It's just kind of like okay but why though.
Chinatown is a pretty huge tourist trap but it's worth going to desu. I think it's one of the biggest/most authentic Chinatowns in the country. There's a lot of really good, cheap dim sum places where you should eat. Also, North Beach (I think is the name?) is close by, which is like an Italian neighborhood, and there's a lot of classic SF locations there.
Forgot to mention Golden Gate Park in the other one. It's pretty nice, not sure why it's so highly recommended though. It's just a nice park.
Of the natural attractions mentioned, I'd recommend Yosemite for beauty, Tahoe for ease of access, but both of these are pretty out of the way.

>>1213092
A matter of opinion I guess

San Francisco is a quirky and beautiful city. I think the best way to enjoy SF is to walk around, enjoy quaint cafes, and not have too much of an agenda.
I would recommend walking around/across the Golden Gate Bridge, as well as the beachy areas near it. I would also recommend checking out Chinatown and if you don't mind walking you could walk through the financial district (i.e. skyscrapers) and to Union Square (i.e. high end shopping).

(cont.)
>>
>>1213102

I do NOT recommend going to Fisherman's Wharf... it's the biggest tourist shithole in the whole city and has no redeeming factors. Except clam chowder in a bread bowl, which is maybe worth it. But otherwise it's all San Francisco T-Shirts, shot glasses, Madame Tussaud's, etc.

So yeah, hope you enjoy SF :) it's much, much different than LA if you've ever been. For the better.
>>
>>1213104

Oh yeah, and be prepared for the fact that parking is a fucking atrocious nightmare. If you're staying only in SF, it may be better to use public transport/Uber than to rent a car.

Oh and Japantown is pretty cool too, or at least this one shopping center/mall that is full of Japanese stores and a grocery store.

The Korean restaurant Brother's on Geary is really great, they have the setup where you have a grill with hot coals in front of you and you cook your own bulgogi. Highly recommend.
>>
>>1212811
>Avoid Haight Street

Been told to always avoid the Tenderloin District, but from what >>1213102 said, I'll take a walk through Haight.

>>1213088
I was thinking of traveling up the Pacific Coast Hwy from LA.

>>1213102
Is SF's Chinatown better than Flushing or Lower Manhattnan? I wasn't impressed with LA's.

>>1213104
>I do NOT recommend going to Fisherman's Wharf

Calm chowder is not the first thing I think of SF. Boston and Seattle has good chowder. I'll gander by anyways as a tourist.

>>1213105
>Oh and Japantown is pretty cool too

I was wondering if someone had an opinion of Japantown. I'm into lolita fashion and was going to check out BTSSB's store and AP's near Union Sq. Is SF's Japantown better than LA's?
>>
>>1213215

I haven't personally been to those Chinatowns so I'm not sure. But SF's Chinatown is quite large. LA's is kind of a joke.

I haven't been to Japantown in a few years, but I actually wouldn't expect much from it as far as I remember. Like I said there's the mall/large shopping center but really Japantown is about 3-6 city blocks I think. There probably is some really cool stuff in Japantown, but it's not terribly impressive visually speaking (as in driving by). I haven't been to LA's.
>>
>>1213215
As a halfie who lives in SF, the Japantown ranking goes LA > SJ > SF. Most of the residential around Japantown was appropriated (since they couldn't own property during World War II) and most of the people have moved to more affordable places over the years, so it's mainly just a shopping center. I do buy a lot of overpriced junk at Super Mira though.

SF Chinatown is completely worthwhile and so close to Union Square/Financial District that there's no reason to miss it. While after the big fires decades ago it was rebuilt to be a tourist trap from the ground up, there's actually a lot of stuff locals go to, catering from ultra-cheap to fairly high end. You just have to not be afraid to go down the alleyways.
>>
>>1213215
japantown is alright, i go there whenever im in sf
>>
Go for a hike anywhere in marin, the hills are beautiful there.
>>
South African here. I visited SF for the first time last year after my folks told me how wonderful the place was when they were there back in the early 80's.

I stayed in a hotel just off from Market Street. As nice as the street itself was; I couldnt ignore all the homeless crackheads pissing against the walls in broad daylight.

Fisherman's Wharf
It's as touristy as it can get, but I can say that the crab I had there was nice and I think generally you will be well catered there. The aquarium albeit small was a nice distraction.

Alcatraz
The place feels almost like a must to go to, but admittedly it's not as interesting as one would think unless you were really into that sort of thing. Nice views of SF though.

Golden Gate Bridge
Another must see sight if it's not covered in mist 24/7. Ultimately its also packed with people, but still something worth to see.

Chinatown
Was pretty big and plenty of knickknack stores to get lost in.

Tour Bus
Took a sightseeing tour bus on my last day to fill in the gaps and it was a mostly interesting adventure that helped me get the most out of the place.

Honestly though I think SF was once a great city that just recently been bogged down by the invasion of homeless bums and companies trying to milk the tourists. I'd recommend a short visit at most.
>>
Go to the museum and the tea garden
>>
>>1213496
Thanks for agreeing that LA's Chinatown is sort of a joke. My hopes are waaay up for SF's Chinatown now.

>>1213499
>>1213514
Thank you. I did enjoy LA's Japantown and I hope to return in the future (for Daikokuya and Shin-Sen-Gumi). I never thought of going to SJ, but it's close since I'll be in the Bay Area.

>>1213539
I wanted to check out Marin and walk in the hills to see the Golden Gate. I'll be going to Flavortown for a day trip to see the Schulz Institute.

>>1213553
>Homeless

If you ever go to LA, it's homeless central too.

No has mentioned The Castro. Anyone wishing to chime in?
>>
>>1212811
>Avoid Haight Street
wut? That's my favorite neighborhood in SF
>>
>>1213759
>The Castro
If you're gay or into gay history, you'll love it! Otherwise, it's a charming small neighborhood with some history.
>>
>>1213779
The Castro theatre also shows some interesting stuff if you're into old movies.
>>
File: Pie Chart.jpg (148KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Pie Chart.jpg
148KB, 2560x1440px
All major cities on earth have homeless people. Paris, Los Angeles, New York, London, San Francisco, Hong Kong, even Hollywood, where rich movie stars live, has homeless people. Bums should be an automatic understanding wherever major city you visit. This shouldn’t be news to anyone on /trv/.

Onward.

The best months to visit are between May – September, during the Spring and Summer seasons.

San Francisco’s Chinatown is great. Lots of old buildings have been turned into shops, and plenty of Chinese restaurants.

I love SF’s North Beach neighborhood, especially the “Little Italy” area.

Golden Gate Park’s De Young Museum is great if you’re into museums.

Go to Fisherman’s Wharf and Pier 39 if you want to do the tourist thing. Lombard Street, Coit Tower, and The Golden Gate Bridge too.
Check out Union Square, it is considered the heart of downtown SF.

Cable Cars are fun to look and take pictures with, but riding them is expensive because they're for tourists.

The Mission district has some cool murals.

If you want to meet locals, visit Dolores Park, which also offers a great view of the city.

Land’s End is where you want to go if you’re into hiking. Near Land's End is the Legion of Honor, a museum specializing in fin old paintings and sculptures if you're into that.

The Tenderloin neighborhood, which is roughly 50 square blocks, is a place I’d recommend staying away from. It’s an area that began providing shelter for drug addicts in the 1970’s and soon got out of control. The good thing is, the high cost of living in San Francisco is driving them out. I’d also recommend staying away from the Sunset neighborhood, not because it’s dangerous, but because it’s huge and full of nothing but houses. It’s very safe, lots of families, but there’s just not much to see there. Better to use your time elsewhere.

YouTube has millions of videos. Here’s a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS9bEEEEs0&t=683s
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.