[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what was it like living in new york at the time of 9/11? what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

what was it like living in new york at the time of 9/11?

what changes did you see to your life?

was it harder to score with chicks?

were all live programmes recorded there and theatre cancelled? for how long?

how do people adresse it now? is it a taboo subject?
>>
>>1212422
>Be in 4th grade
>Go to school
>Go to lunch, then no outdoor recess
>"Why can't we go outside?"
>"It's too hot outside."
>Middle of September
>By 12pm half of class gets picked up by parents
>Absolutely no idea what's going on

Upstate NY, not in the city
>>
>>1212422
>was it harder to score with chicks?

Hell no, bro. I would just walk up to sluts wearing a FDNY shirt or hat and say I was a first responder. Instant panty dropper.

Shit was so cash.
>>
>>1212422
Giuliani and others just said to press on. The city was together. Flags everywhere.Downtown Manhattan was a mess. Cops and firemen died later due to breathing dust around the site. Had to twist Congress' arm to fund treatment.
>>
>>1212422
>what was it like living in new york at the time of 9/11?
I guess not very good if you happened to be at one of the towers at the time.
>>
>>1212422
Probably not a lot of /trv/llers were living in the city *and* of age at the time.

I was a 3rd grader a few dozen miles away. I remember taking something for my teacher to the school library and catching a few snippets of live coverage (the smoking building before the second plane hit) on a TV. Obviously out of the ordinary but I didn't think too much of it. Later the teacher announced to the class that something serious had happened and that we couldn't go outside, but that we shouldn't be afraid, just cautious. She let us guess.

Kids started leaving early over the course of the day. My mom picked me up at regular time and told me what happened. She was emotional but not crying.

We found out a kid at my school lost his dad on Flight 93 (the one that crashed in Pennsylvania).

Anyway, 9/11 dominated the news for years and really shaped the spirit of the next decade, at least.

Yes, some TV shows went off the air temporarily, but not for long. You should watch the "first day back" episodes for the late night shows (Letterman, Jon Stewart, etc) on YouTube if you're interested.

It was a sensitive topic for a while but it's definitely not as fresh in people's minds anymore, especially people younger than me. I feel like the beginning of the Obama presidency was the end of the 911 era, though our times are obviously still impacted
>>
How is this thread even slightly related to travel? All that is going to happen is it will turn into a shit posting fest about /pol/tardedness and /x/ theories. But in any case, it is not about travel.
>>
>>1212422
>From NJ, I was in high school
>They made some vague piss poor announcement, called certain students to the office (those with parents who worked in NYC and/or the towers)
>I leave halfway through the day to go to technical school
>Spend all of art class watching the news
>Everyone speechless
>Get out of school and everything is just kind of weird
>See giant smoke plume in the distance and it's like holy shit it's actually real

If I can remember correctly, pretty much every radio station had sort of cancelled broadcast and was just playing news, or talking about it. Every major network (abc,nbc,fox,etc) had news on well into the night, I believe.
It's hard for me to talk about 9/11 to certain people, because as soon as you bring up what I feel are legitimate questions and concerns, everyone automatically goes ape and labels you a tinfoil looney.
>>
>>1212609
Kill urself b
>>
Everything was like "boom" and "kapow", then all of a sudden, it was like "cha ching". Crazy stuff.
>>
>>1212685
Don't you have a country to lead, Donald?
>>
>>1212608
here are those clips
Letterman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBLgp1qTCTg
Stewart
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/1q93jy/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-september-11--2001
>>
I was in 8th grade at the time going to school in the Bronx. Lived in Manhattan, so I stayed at a friend's place for a few days as getting back into the city was tough, let alone contacting anyone there.

All I did was play PSO and Street Fighter Alpha 3 with my friend and watched Cartoon Network as it was one of the few channels that continued with regular broadcasting.

As far as after effects, the city was just a lot nicer to one another in general. Sure you had some idiots going around blaming all the arab corner store owners, but they were far and few between.
>>
>>1212733
Damn the Daily Show clip really brought back the feels. I remember watching that in high school, and really hoping it was true when he said things will get back to normal. 9/11 really felt like a horrible breakup to me, I just felt numb and wish things could go back to how they were before.

Then I remember several years of extreme patriotism, my high school changed french fries to 'freedom fries' there was 9/11 merchandise fucking everywhere. Rednecks were getting 9/11 tattoos and 9/11 bumper stickers all over pickup trucks. I live in California, BTW.

Support our Troops was everywhere, so were toys and shit worshiping Firemen and Policemen.

Everyone on TV talking about how New York is the greatest city on earth and people on their high horse cause they lived in a city attacked by towelheads.

I got so damn tired of it. I was embarrassed for my country. My first time flying after 9/11 I couldn't believe the security. Guys with M16s standing next to old ladies and little girls getting frisked. I couldn't believe we let this happen.

I started getting angry any time a politician brought up the 9/11 card (the republicans STILL did this non stop last primary).

I hope it taught us all a lesson how fickle our democracy is and how we shouldn't play into our emotions.

Looking back at old footage still gives me the chills, and I hope when something like this happens again we handle it better next time.
>>
>>1212686
Everyone is saying this, everyone is saying it. They're saying "don't you have a country to lead, Donald?" And I tell them, I say "WELL, YEAH?" But no, I know some terrific people, you'll love them. Believe me, folks. We're not gonna be scammed any longer, THAT I can tell you.
>>
>>1212678
deadass
>>
Not in NYC, but 21 years old at an aviation college...believe me we discussed it.

It saddens me that most have these posters have known nothing but war their hole lives, almost as much as it saddens me that I never bought american airlines stock when it was 11 cents a share.
>>
>>1212746
Best Coverage. It's long but its worth it, the staff went through all of the emotions we all felt, Shock, fear, anger, sadness, and resolve.
Stern should have gotten a pulitzer for this shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ak1N7ZxJ3U
>>
>>1212609
op would have to travel to the us to have experienced it.

the planes had to travel there etc etc

fuck off neckbeard virgin
>>
>>1212733
thank you mate, excellent sourcing for me, haunting
>>
>>1212609
It didn't happen 25 years ago so we can't discuss it on /his/
>>
>>1212422
I was in Philly and 3rd grade at the time, but I followed the coverage after getting out of school early -probably the first time I ever watched the news as a kid.

It isn't a taboo subject in itself due to generational distance (viz. all the 9/11 jokes by current edgy teens) but its political implications are, especially if you're inclined to believe that the terrorists ultimately won: that is, they sowed what will probably be decades-long domestic turmoil and decay with an event which, while tragic, was not truly catastrophic (as per Jean Edward Smith).

I remember once being shown the plane's cockpit as a kid, but that must have been pre-9/11, that shit would not fly post.
>>
I don't think most people who use 4chan regularly were old enough to appreciate what happened on September 11th.

I live on Michigan and was in the third grade on 9/11. I remember this happening:

>principal comes over the intercom and says something bad happened in New York City
>said that the World Trade Centers had been "bombed"
>came back a while later to tell us that our country had been attacked by terrorists
>said some students' parents might be coming to take them home early
>spent the next several hours hoping my mom or dad would show up so I could get out of school
>nobody showed up
>several of my former classmates said I stood up on my desk and said, "there's going to be a war!" but I don't remember this ever happening

Honestly, I'm surprised in hindsight at how straightforward and honest the principal had been with a bunch of elementary school students.

I didn't have any clue what the significance of 9/11 was, but I still have the few minutes when we all found out what had happened stuck into my memory. I doubt I'll ever forget. I also clearly remember when Saddam Hussein was captured and when Obama announced that bin Laden had been killed.
>>
>everyone in this thread was in third grade

lived 3000 miles from new york, and what I disliked the most was people here were all worried about stuff other than air travel
>>
what the hell does this to do with /trv/?

anyway

i was thousands of miles away, different continent. as usual i switched on cnn when i got home, cause that was the only tv channel we had that aired a lot of spoken english, and i wanted to learn english. i also had my fave local talk radio on on the background, to listen to during commercials. i was watching the coverage the entire time, the first attack happened right when i got home, and they were airing footage from there quite soon after.

my local talk radio had some funny news coverage show, and it was clear they missed the memo.
during their break, i gave them a call, saying what happened in the us. while we were on the phone with the news team, cnn switched to pentagon.
i told them what happened.
the news team said their internet connection was down.
they first thanked me, but when i said the pentagon part, they called me a liar.
later that day they reported the news, too, and added an apology to me.

next day people were joking about the attack in town already.

also i'm lucky, cause i took my first flight earlier during the same year. and my mom got me in the cockpit on both flights. it was beautiful, i saw the hudson bay from above, they also described the cockpit very much in detail, the pilots were really talkative (too bad my mom's english sucked, and all i did was fixing hers, cause i was too shy to start to talk myself.)
>>
I was in elementary school. Now I live in Manhattan and work in the Freedom Tower. Just the other day I was seeing a bunch of faggots protesting about how Muslims is good boys who dindu nuffin. Makes me wonder if people were eager to defend Islam in 2001.
>>
>>1212422
Brit here, remember coming home to my aunts house after school (5-6 years old) and everyone was watching the news. The parents were all shocked and just gave each other a look, the type of look you see on films where shit is about to change. I remember getting on flights as a kid and the pilot would let all the kids inside the cockpit to have a look. Flight staff would be in and out of there all the time. I don't really remember how airport security was but I don't remember it taking as long as it does now.
>>
>>1212863
>bunch of faggots protesting about how Muslims is good boys who dindu nuffin. Makes me wonder if people were eager to defend Islam in 2001.

Ya, we were millennial.

26 years of war fatigue has ruined this country.
Stay scared of a billion people, pussy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ZoroJdVnA
>>
>be in school
>classmates slowly start disappearing
>kids comes back from bathroom and says we're on nuclear alert
>end of day
>only like 5 students left
>teacher tells us a plane hit the WTC
>thought a MiG got shot down into the tower
>go home and turn on the news
>watch all day
>wonder who osama is
>wonder what islam is
>wonder what terror is
>kid's uncle works in the WTC
>he tells class they haven't heard from him yet
>teacher asks everyday for the next week if they've gotten in touch with him
>awkwardness ensues
>become obsessed with global politics and swallow my first red pills
>every time the groundskeepers are mowing the property I think it might be a plane crashing into the school
>>
>>1212863
I mean, not to be all /pol/, but even in 2001 it was clear that the US government brought shit on itself. It's very good business for security firms, too.
>>
>>1212905
t. Achmed

Can't wait for the West to finally be free from the plague that is Islam
>>
File: 1485660059885.jpg (42KB, 728x522px) Image search: [Google]
1485660059885.jpg
42KB, 728x522px
I remember Muslims were treated worse than dogs after the attack, and suddenly the US raped, pillaged,and destroyed several Muslim countries over nothing.

Guess what we're still doing today?

2000 white people dying led to mass murderer on a grand scale across the Islamic world. I get physically sick every time I imagine a new 9/11 happening with the far right pantshitters currently in power.

Donald Dumbfuck will always be a bigger terrorist than Osama and ISIS combined.
>>
>>1213090
Well trumps kill count is currently in the low hundreds
As compared to bushs millions and Obama hundreds of thousands
So be nice, trump may surprise you
>>
The most surreal moment in the city that day was walking through time square towards grand central and seeing it completely empty sans a few police cars.

There were free train fares out of the city and free movies in most theaters that day. For about 2 weeks after everyone was much friendlier and then kinda back to normal.

Everyone kinda took over union square and there were missing signs of the dead all over everything.
>>
>>1213090
Yeah, how dare they be mad after a gang of terrorists killed thousands of innocents in the name of god?

Fuck Islam and fuck you.
>>
life in 2001 was far different than 2017, considering social media and cell phones were far less common
the 9/11 attacks didn't change much from a traveller's point of view, besides tighter security at airports
>>
>>1213090
>2000 white people

good goyim, the victims were white (lolwut), the poor brown people are the real victims

this is your brain on liberalism
>>
used to be able to cross the boarder with nothing but a drivers license.
>>
>Waahhhh 2000 rich white people from the most imperialist nation on the planet died.. let's talk about it for the next 20 fucking years lest we forget.

Fuck off. I hope they nuke you guys next time.
>>
>>1212756
Kek
>>
>laying in college dorm room bed with 8/10 skinny blonde gf
>mom calls my room, says in a very serious voice "turn on the tv"
>gf and i sit there staring at the smoking tower
>watch the second tower get hit on live television
>start freaking out and wondering if the world is ending
>it doesn't end but is permanently different after that
>our 2-year relationship eventually falls apart
>we randomly hook up and bang every 1-2 years regardless of our own relationship status
>i always felt like we would end up together but i never did anything about it
>she gets a serious bf and moves to California
>she just had a kid
>i'm stuck in a dead-end relationship and i'm 35 years old posting on the travel section of an anime imageboard

I blame muslim extremists for this
>>
>American
>Staying in Cologne, Germany att
>There long enough that many of the locals (in Muehlheim, Turkish Ghetto) have started recognizing me as "The American" when I show up at the local markets/restaurants
>See something on the tv about buildings getting smashed
>Get back to apartment I was staying in for 3 months
>Get a call from German friend
>"You might want to stop talking to Muslims, US was just attacked by extremists and everyone's still trying to figure out the score. 15,000 people presumed dead."
>Go to Turkish Café next day
>American!!! When they attacked America, they attacked Turkey! USA and Turkey like *THIS*!!!
>Everyone have a drink for America!
Then George Bush declared war and every German turned into a full-on cunt about it while every Turk just wanted to make sure my family and friends were safe in America.
>>
>>1213621
9/11 made life worse for pretty much everyone on the planet, shit head.
>>
>>1213626
>I blame muslim extremists for this

They truly did win.
>>
>>1213745
How?
>>
>>1213650
roach detected
>>
towel heads
>>
>>1213508
You're right, killing people for money makes a lot more sense
>>
Dude, "terror sex" was a thing, believe me.
>>
>>1214049
There was a TV show starring a comedian who played a firefighter. He was waxing on how after 9/11 he got all the sex he wanted.
>>
>>1214049
More details.
>>
>>1212422
>asleep in my East Village apartment.
>get a call from a friend telling me one of the WTC towers was on fire.
>hope it isn't terrorism.
>run outside and walk to corner of 6t St and Bowery, where I had a view of the second plane hitting.
>fuck, it's terrorism.
>go home and catch marathon coverage on the Howard Stern Show
>go up to roof of my building and see first tower fall
>streets are full or dusty shellshocked people walking home from Lower Manhattan
>my neighborhood (and everything below 14th St) is on lockdown for like a week
>sirens and smell of burning insulation hang in the air for over a month

I'm lucky that I didn't lose anyone close to me, but some friends of friends were killed that day. Also knew a first responder (nonsmoker) who died of lung cancer within a year.

There was a mini baby boom nine months after in the city - a friend became a father as part of that.

I remember at the time the hottest band in town was the Strokes, and they had to remove a song making fun of NYC cops from the US release of their debut CD. Then I remember a huge march in the streets to protest using 9-11 as a pretext to go to war. We did anyway.
>>
>>1212422
>Stuyvesant High School
>9th floor 2nd period English class Freshman year
>Suddenly, Chad states wow the WTC is on fire
>stare at it for a while
>10 minutes later see plane hit 2nd building
>go to 3rd period Math class (no windows)
>lights start flickering
>Math teacher annoyed because he thought people were messing with the light switches
>on the way to homeroom, people were crying in the halls and shit
>HR we're told we have to evacuate
>evacuate to Chelsea Piers, see smoke behind us on the way back. I don't remember but I think the towers collapsed by then
Ended up getting home around 3-4 in a crowded subway.
>>
>>1213751

Really?

Global economies crashed. War in the Middle East that ended up with soldiers killed as well as Arabs, many of which were innocent civilians. Harder/scarier to fly in pretty much all countries, emboldened terrorists worldwide, planted the seeds for shitty politicians to use fear for their own gain, general increased fear and paranoia in most 1st world countries, muslim travel ban negatively affects arabs and sends the U.S. into yet another frenzy, refugee crisis from middle eastern countries at least partially linked to chains of events based from military action in those countries, tax money wasted, making fear/war mongers rich, some idiot rednecks beat up middle eastern people or even Indians/Sikhs, on and on, man.
>>
>>1214403
I know it's probably hard to describe but what was it like seeing that in person?

I can't possibly imagine... I was a few thousand miles away and I only saw the second tower fall live on tv by the time I woke up and I went completely numb.

You really saw the second plane hit? That had to be absolutely surreal.

The only thing I've ever witnessed that are remotely related are minor car accidents and a live dog that jumped out of the back of a truck and was being dragged by its leash. Even those affected me a lot, I can't imagine something a billion times larger than that.

What else was life like afterward? How long did it take people to return to a normal life at work and school?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.