[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exchange rates, and foreign currency & costs.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I want to take my camera somewhere cool, and I'm also considering looking abroad for a wife. The Philippines is a contender, but I'm getting mixed messages on the expenses.

One anon says to live Western, you have to (monthly) spend more than my normal living budget at at home ($1200-1400). I mean, shit, I know I live on the 'poverty line', but that doesn't seem to be what others are saying.

More common, I've heard $300-500 for a month. This seems more realistic, if you can have the equivalent (or an actual) Mcdonalds for a dollar or so.

Yet, my main question is more one of curiosity. If the average wage for a native is like $20-40 a month, do they eat bugs and drink their own piss or something? Because the 'gap' between native pay and holiday costs seems to go beyond even the idea that 'holidays are expensive, bro.'

Could you take $10k and live decently for a decade, if you lived to their standards? Because frankly I might one day triple that, marry there, and stay. (The location is an example, I'm just considering where I could take my meager funds and live out my middle and retirement years. I simply won't have enough for any decent standard of living in the west.)
>>
>>the average wage for a native is like $20-40 a month
[citation needed]
>>
>>1211878

Just chatter on the various 'so, you want to go on holiday to/move to' pages. If it's incorrect, blame them. It's beside my over all point/confusion anyway. I don't get how someone can spend over a thousand bucks a month, which is literally over a third more than I even earn, and consider it cheaper living.

It doesn't go along with 'going to a 3rd world country to live cheaper/have a cheap holiday' unless they are literally renting a 10 bedroom house to themselves and eating lobster every night.
>>
>>1211882
>>I don't get how someone can spend over a thousand bucks a month, which is literally over a third more than I even earn
There's your problem.
Get a job where the pay not dogshit.
>>
>>1211876
>One anon says to live Western, you have to (monthly) spend more than my normal living budget at at home ($1200-1400). I mean, shit, I know I live on the 'poverty line', but that doesn't seem to be what others are saying.
One guy could live in nice apartment in big city while the other lives in a small house in the burbs or rurally. One guy could be a compulsive monger while the other is a loner. One guy could be addicted to pain pills while the other is a Mormon.
>Could you take $10k and live decently for a decade
Decent is a very subjective word. Some people would be fine without air conditioning others consider it to be a necessity. Some people will cook at home most of the time whilst others will "need" to eat out every day. You just gotta watch out for who you decide to marry. And even if you can trust your wife then you have to worry about her family. And cops may try to shake you down. And the other usual criminality.

You're plan sounds like mine as well. I'm attempting to do a working "retirement" early at ~40 via SEA. Saving up as much as I can in my 401k and Roth IRA and then teaching English for as long as I can. My family is almost all dead and I got nothing much here for me to stick around for. Shit job and shit life. Maybe Asia will be better.
>>
>>1212070

I feel you. My mum and gran are really the only reasons for me to stay in the UK, and the former is ill enough that I could lose her to a severe cold, and the latter in her mid-70s, meaning I may get the 'call' any morning.

After that, well...
>>
To live western yes you would have to spend about $1,000 a month. I spend easily that a week in SEA.

Do you want to be able to stay in a private house, semi decent, have plumbing? Or live out in the sticks? I don't understand why people expect third world countries to be so much cheaper, yes rural it is. But you ain't getting $1 maccas anywhere in the world anymore.

Just break it down, $300-$500 a month, $100 a week rent for anywhere you would actually consider living in, then what? Food? Living expenses? Transport? If you want to sleep in a backpacker 12 bed room go ahead but that will still run you $6 bucks a night. Then transport, $5 a day, your already at $120 a week and $500 a month just on that. $10K wouldn't even last you a year unless you want to live in a hut without water or electricity and buy pigs to keep the wifes family happy.

Not trying to be a downer, just realistic as possible for you. $10k on average is 2 months worth of an average job salary. Native wage is way higher than what you've listed as well... Experience yourself is all I can say at this point.
>>
>>1212187
So you're saying that US$5k is the average salary in countries like the Phills?
da fuq?
>>
>>1212192
A year? Easily, if not more.

Nearly all these people in cities and outlying suburbs. Let's just say people with electricity.

All have smart phones, internet, decent TVs, aircon. Do you think you buy any of these devices any cheaper over there? Not at all. Traveling I've noticed in the last 10-15 years the real 3rd world dropping off the face of the earth. You have to go out of your way to find people living on a true $40 a week lifestyle.
>>
>>1212192
Actually the GDP per capita of the Philippines is $2,765.

You can easily live for less than $400 a month in most SEA countries.
>>
>>1212187
>10k+ a year.
>1k a month.

>>1212210
>Not even 3k a year.
>Less than $400 a month.

This is what I mean about conflicting info, and the differences are vast.
>>
>>1212210
As if GDP was worth a shit.
That's completely useless for the average citizen.

This site has some figures:
http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=171&loctype=1

Don't know if it's accurate not updated.
Anyway, average salary in Phill is 45,315 PHP which is about US$913.50.
Medium salary is 28,500 PHP which is about US$574.53
For Engeneering (whatever that means, though I'd suspest it at least means someone with a university diploma) has an average salary of 39,830 PHP, or US$803.

I'm hoping you're smart enough to know the difference between average and median.
>>
>>1212212
$400 a month is only $4,800 a year
You can live somewhat less than twice as well as the average Flipino on $400/month
>>
>>1212212
And just do some damn basic research.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
This site gives you at least an idea of how much it costs to live in a lot of cities.
Philippines included.
>>
>>1212213
Yeah but your average Filipino is a cleaner not an engineer
Who according to the site gets by on 6000pesos or $120 a month
Your average builder gets 33000 or $660

You have to remember that these salaries cover keeping a family. So the average guy with a wife and three kids is not doing well on $660.

A single man on the other hand can do fine with less, like $400 a month.
>>
>>1212219
>>1212219
OP should be smart enough to figure those things out.
He should be smart enough to know the difference between median and average.
He should be smart enough to know that the average salary in Phill actually includes the salary of an unqualified piece of shit to that of the CEO of the biggest company there.

And he should know that it's better to find out how much things actually cost there instead of focusing on how much people actually earn because who the hell knows if price and income are that well matched there?

Though if he's saying that he's not earning even US$1k a month, he's probably not that smart. Or he's also living in a shitty third world country.
>>
>>1212220
>Though if he's saying that he's not earning even US$1k a month, he's probably not that smart. Or he's also living in a shitty third world country.

Or he's been disabled since childhood, and lives off state benefits, and knowing his country's wellfare system is a sinking ship is well aware that whatever he inherits is likely to be all he has to live out his middle-age til death with. Douche.
>>
>>1212226
Maybe he should have planned out a method of living that wasn't physically intensive at all, he seems to be able to use a computer and produce thoughts, after all.

I'd go with not that smart if I were anon.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.