[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

India general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: zarathustra-1931.jpg (48KB, 640x405px) Image search: [Google]
zarathustra-1931.jpg
48KB, 640x405px
Sup /trv/

I'm planning on travelling India from January to July next year with about 5 grand saved up.

My only real plans are to just bum around the coast for a bit and go to Nepal at some point

Any advice, recommendations? whatever.
>>
I'm heading up to Delhi on 20th. and i am a newbie too
>>
File: 00.jpg (958KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
958KB, 3264x2448px
>>1211842 (OP)
>>1211981

Been to India seven times and lived in Delhi for about a year and a half.

Where are you flying into and what sorts of places are you interested in visiting?

You can see a lot traveling along the western coast. Karnataka and Kerala both have tons of natural beauty, whereas Goa is renowned for its crowded beach parties, cheap seafood, and local liquors. If you're arriving in January then I would recommend starting south and making your way north. By the time March comes calling, the temperatures will begin rising across the subcontinent. I would recommend seeing what you want to see in the South before then.

I would suggest being north of Delhi by April, unless you plan on acclimatizing and getting used to the heat. The Himalayas will have perfect weather in May, June, and July. If you know how to rent a motorbike and have a decent enough budget, you can purchase or rent one and drive north from Delhi to Manali to Leh in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir. While I've never done that journey, I've been shown pictures by folks who have - it's on my to-do list. You'll pass some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world and have a handful of adventure stories to boot.

India has two distinct seasons for tourism: people go south in winter and north in summers. Follow that pattern. Visiting places like Srinagar, Manali, and Rishikesh will be impractical in the colder months, due to the abundance of snow and closed roads. Similarly, the South will get too hot and humid as time chugs along into summer.

FYI, the monsoon will be hovering over the country by the beginning of July. You won't have to worry too much about heavy and regular rains until then, but be prepared to get wet.

Pic related from Manali. Met some random German guy who had no idea how to ride a motorcycle (he only fell once!) and took a trip up towards the Rohtang Pass. From September 2016.
>>
>>1212140
I'm a third India goer.

I'm interning in Delhi in July this year. I'm hoping to get into the country via Bombay mid June, then go to Kerala by train, then train to Chennai, then Hyderabad, Kolkata then Delhi.

I have a few questions:
1. Where is good in Kerala?
2. Is train a viable form of cross country travel or should I just plane places?
3. In Delhi, is airbnb a decent 1 month+ stay option? I want to real traveler and live in with the locals.
4. I've heard there's an app I'm supposed to get for uberlike services?
5. Water: is it ok to use on my toothbrush?
>>
>>1212147

1-Munnar - Popular hill station and the #1 tourist spot in Kerala.
Thekkady - Periyar wildlife sanctuary is the main attraction among many other eco-tourism spots.
Alleppey / Kumarakom Backwaters - Best spots for a relaxed houseboat cruise. Alleppey also has a beautiful beach.
Kovalam - Three very popular and lovely beaches. And two among them are the most favored beaches by foreigners.
Thiruvananthapuram - Capital city of Kerala. You can visit Padmanabhaswami Temple, Srichitra Art Gallery, museums, zoo, etc. at Thiruvananthapuram.
Wayanad - Famous for its dense forests, natural beauty, hairpin roads among many other attractions. Lots of opportunities for adventurous activities like Trekking, Jungle Safari, deep forest exploration, etc. are available.
Athirapilly Vazhachal - Largest and the most popular waterfalls in South India.
Cochin - Several tourist spots like Fort Cochin, Navy Museum, Santa clause basilica, Mattancherry palace, Jewish synagogue, Marine drive, Boating, and Tripunithura Hill Palace

2-Yes, train is the best way to travel and explpre India and it is way cheaper than flights

3-no experience because I'm from kerala

4-I heard UBER is startung to offering bikes too . don't have much idea about that

5-Yes,water in India is clean.
>>
>>1212149
Thanks man, maybe we can link up in Kerala.
>>
>>1212159

Sure, no problem
>>
>>1211842
Indian who's traveled extensively in India here.

General India traveling tips.
- Auto rickshaw drivers (or regular taxis) will scam you 100% if you look like a foreigner. Use Uber instead. Safer and cheaper.

- It's safe to drink tap water in some cities (like Pune where I live), but generally avoid it.
- Indian hotels suck. Try to find a good Airbnb or something.

- India is safer than you think. You usually won't get mugged. I (young girl) walk on the street alone after 12 no problems.

- Don't eat at stalls on the street. They are very unhygienic. I know many foreigners who got sick that way. There's usually proper hygienic shops that sell the same thing. Little more expensive, but worth it.

- If you can, try getting a 'thali'. Basically cheap all-you-can eat with people coming to serve you. Thalis exist everywhere I believe, so can try a lot of different local food in different states.

- It isn't worth the effort learning Hindi, most Indians don't speak it anyway. English should be just fine. Learn some phrases in whatever local language. Indians will be VERY, VERY happy to hear you speak their language.

- don't hesitate to ask locals for directions or anything. And most locals who approach you are not trying to scam you. (be careful however)

and yeah you'll get stared at a LOT (curious stares if you're white; malicious stares if you're black). Especially if you go in poorer areas. I know, it sucks. Try to ignore it.

you'll be treated like royalty in restaurants and hotels though. (if you're white; NOT if you're black)

If you're a girl, PLEASE don't wear shorts or skirts, especially in poor areas. While you probably won't get attacked or raped, you'll get stared at a LOT.
>>
>>1212147

I made the post you're responding to.

1. I don't know. I've actually never spent much time in South India. However, I've met plenty of other travelers who have gone to Kerala. It has a great reputation for having well-preserved tracts of jungle and forest as well as a pleasant wintertime climate.

2. Yes. Trains in India are reliable and usually inexpensive. Unless you're on a shoestring budget, I'd recommend always booking 3AC or above. Sleeper and General compartment berths and seats tend to be crowded and uncomfortable. If you want to get a local experience, give one of those two a try on a shorter journey and see if you like it.

3. I guess you could use AirBnB, but I don't think it'd be the best use of your money. I usually stay in budget hotels or book a room off the Oyo! Rooms app. There are several decent hostels in the city, too.

4. Ola Cabs is the Indian alternative to Uber. There's also another app called Jugnoo which is primarily used for auto-rickshaws. However, Uber still exists in India and is by the far the best ride-booking service. I would definitely recommend Uber over Ola, as the fares tend to be cheaper and the drivers are usually less likely to fuck around with long routes or refuse card payment.

Uber also has more drivers than Ola in Delhi, while the reverse is true in Kolkata.

5. Yes. I always use tap water for my toothbrush. As long as you're not guzzling it down, you'll probably be fine. I never got why some tourists insist on using bottled water to brush their teeth but then go and wash their lettuce and vegetables under a faucet.

>>1212184

Mostly agree with this except:

>Don't eat street food

Absolutely eat street food, unless you're only visiting for a couple weeks and would miss out on a lot by being sick for a day or two. I find that I normally fall ill once every visit to India, and then get used to the bacteria and food afterward. There are a lot of amazing local eateries which aren't particularly hygienic
>>
>>1212379

[cont]

but can't be missed. I always look forward to getting kebabs across from Jama Masjid. Momos are another favorite for myself as well as many others.

>most people who approach you aren't malicious

This is true, but do exercise caution. Once you stay in India for long enough, you should be able to develop a sixth sense about who's looking for a genuine conversation and who wants to rip you off.

In touristic parts of Delhi, there are a lot of touts who try to misguide tourists into visiting rip-off travel agencies. Some of them have all the guile of a six-year old child, while others are part of organized and efficient rings. One of my acquaintances works the streets in Paharganj; he pays off hotel receptionists to let him know about new arrivals and will plan his approach in advance. Normally he'll pretend to befriend first-time visitors and then slowly convince them to book tickets and trips at a particular agency in exchange for a commission.

I used to hang around some of those agencies. There was one fellow from Chicago who seemed a bit effeminate who got taken around Karol Bagh and Paharganj by an auto-wala tout. The tout brought him out to lunch and showed him the big Hanuman Mandir. Once the Chicago guy realized what was going on, he burst into tears, ran out of the office, and apparently cut his trip short.

You'll get approached by a lot of people looking to get to know you, but always assume the worst if somebody trots up to you when you're walking along. Indians are curious about foreigners, but they will rarely walk up to you when you seem busy to say "nice shoes! What country?"

Just strike a sane balance between being too naive and closing yourself off to new friends. There really are a lot of wonderful, smart people in India, but sometimes all the scams and repetitive conversations ("What country? Your good name? How much taxi driver earn in USA? You can get me visa?") get to you.
>>
Serious question:

Have any of you tried public defecation?

There are two reasons I ask this:
1. If toilets are hardly accessible to locals, I find it hard to imagine that they would be willing to share with foreigners.
2. I can imagine someone trying it out of genuine curiosity, and doing so would be less frowned upon.

I know most of you are tired of this reference by now, but I'm being serious here.
>>
>>1212395

That's sort of an ignorant question.

Toilets are very accessible to foreigners. The main reason why many Indians defecate outdoors is because they either live in rural, underdeveloped areas, or in cramped, densely-populated slums. Few people who are properly educated want to shit outside along railway tracks or in full view of their neighbors.

The defining factor when it comes to toilet availability is finances and class. Foreign tourists are always wealthier than the poorest locals in India, and as such, have easier access to Western-style restrooms. In all the time I've spent in South Asia, I've only shit outside a handful of times - and those times, mind you, were similar to those I've shit outside in the United States.

To elaborate, the only times I've defecated in public anywhere are when I'm camping and have no access to toilet facilities. I pooped off a few rocks in Kashmir because I was a ten-hour hike from the nearest paved road.

Public urination is a common sight in India, especially in the north, but you have to go to some fucked up places to just see people pooping on the road.
>>
>>1212418
>>1212395
POO IN THE LOO
>>
>>1212418
Fair enough.

How (un)common is toilet paper? From what I hear, they either wipe by hand, or use what's called a "lota."

There's no way in hell I'm using my hand. However I wouldn't be completely against using a lota (I heard that it's technically more hygienic than toilet paper), but I won't be too happy about having a damp asscrack.
>>
>>1212729
WTF genius. You heard water is more hygenic than toilet paper? Congrats to you. It has nothing to do with some damn pot. It is because toilet paper is expensive. Do you not shower or bathe every day? I use soap. Do you? Do you air dry after your shower? Do you use a towel?

Let's turn travel chat into some perverts wonderings about "damp asscracks". WTFGTO

Go to /b and leave /trv
>>
>>1212740
I wipe myself down with a towel after I shower, yes. I wipe my ass with toilet paper after taking a shit, regardless of its benefits or detriments.

I don't air-dry after a shower. If I'm not a fan of just my asscrack being damp, then odds are good that I won't like it if my whole body had to be damp for a while.

I'm now convinced I'm talking to an Indian. Sasrikal Pajeet.
>>
>>1212729
>>1212745

I'm >>1212147

I've traveled a lot through asia and let me tell you, your ass will be dry as soon as you leave the bathroom, its so hot. Though ultimately it will be damp again because of the amount of sweat gushing down your back.

P.S I'm an Aussie you fucking cunt.
>>
>>1212749
>P.S I'm an Aussie you fucking cunt.
That's even worse!
>>
>>1212729

Toilet paper isn't very common. If you're staying in a decent place you'll have a bidet or hose. Using water with toilet paper is very hygienic versus just one or the other. Unfortunately, many low-end establishments have not a hole in the ground along with a faucet and bottle. Rest stations and isolated restaurants usually don't take very good care of their facilities.
>>
>>1212745
once you get used to it it's fine. It dries in like 5 minutes.
>>
I've only been to india once with my father to visit some old family graves and sell off some land and stuff. I loved it but you know, traveling with a parent is quite different.. So I really want to go back, probably buying a bike and just driving around.

So, my father is half indian/half portugese, and I'm half swedish (I look like a fair-skinned guy from portugal/italy, though tan quite quickly and it looks "natural"). We don't have any contact with the indian family anymore, though I could potentially find many of them since someone has been active, adding members up to the thousands, on online family-tree services.
The family has had several knighted members and we are brahmins, and still own a small chapel and some farmlands.

anyway, my question is: how should I "use" my indian ancestry if I go to India? Could it be of any potential gain, or will it have the opposite effect? I really don't feel the need to walk around and act like a brahmin, but I at least want to know how people might react if I say that I'm quarter Indian.

thanks!
>>
>>1212184
What are some of the places in and around Pune I reckon it's very close to Mumbai and has some good spots between pune and Mumbai.

Anybody who's traveling in And around March or want more info on Delhi hmu on kik mocohocarolyn
>>
How are the girls in India? Conservative? Kinda want to go and get me a qt Indian chick
>>
>>1213079
I would say most of the time it's not the girls that are the problem, but their parents.

They're either heavily indoctrinated by their religious/cultural norms, or they're too afraid to challenge them.
>>
>>1212429

This took an awful long time to appear!
>>
Gonna trip here for consistency.

Is Kolkutta worth it if I'm also seeing mumbai?
>>
>>1213864

>Kolkutta

Yes, Kolkata/Calcutta is worth visiting.
>>
>>1213881
Sorry, tired as fuck.
>>
Considering every reply has mentioned India and not Nepal, I will talk about Nepal I guess (whatd'ya know, I happen to be Nepali too). If you do decide to go to Nepal, avoid the Terai unless you want to become boiled into soup. Try going to Kathmandu/Pokhara/Chitwan/Mustang, from first to last. Mustang is the most beautiful place of them all, but is kinda hard to get to, plus its extremely cold. Pokhara is Nepal's "resort" city, so use it as a break stop in the middle of your Nepal journey (if you even go to Nepal). I can post more on Nepal if you want.
>>
About electronics:

I have an online job so I can work from India while interning.

Should I bring my laptop while backpacking, or should I go for a tablet, do you guys have any thoughts?
>>
>>1212379

wtf? You seriously accept puking and shitting your guts out as a scheduled part of your trip?

How about just... not doing that.
>>
>>1214642
more please!
>>
>>1214707

You can't "not" do that in India. Unless you stick exclusively to Western fast food chains, you'll probably fall ill at one point or another. Many restaurants in India which appear nice on the surface do not practice proper hygiene in the kitchen.
>>
>>1214680
In the same dilemma, about to go India for two months. I've just bought a £150 chromebook - not going to risk taking my ipad around hostels.
>>
>>1214707
Not all immune systems are made the same. Some people just have to live with that fact, sometimes even in their own home country.

They can either choose to live in fear of their health & not travel, or they can choose to suck it up for the duration of their trip.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.