[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else likes going to a major city's cemeteries and seeing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: lead_960.jpg (283KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
283KB, 960x641px
Who else likes going to a major city's cemeteries and seeing if there were notable people buried there?
Going to London Soon, plan on seeing Karl Marx's tomb
any stories?
>>
This is the weirdest coincidence, I was planning on going down there and eating a big McDonald's in front of it for a laugh, but I have heard places like Milltown in NI have some cool graves of political prisoners. Graves that have regular visitors and offerings to them are pretty cool, desu
>>
Sort of related, when I lived in Seattle and friends visited I usually took them to see Bruce and Brandon Lee's graves.
>>
I like doing sort of the opposite. If I'm on the road and I need a break from driving I'll stop at little rundown cemeteries in the middle of nowhere and look at tombstones of people who have been otherwise forgotten.

There's just something about stopping in the Great Plains in winter in a cemetery with a half-collapsed chain-link fence and a couple of scraggly trees and reading the names and dates of a rundown town's history while the wind whistles through the tall grass.

>>1211455
Genius.
>>
>>1211455
The Marx grave is weird mix of tourists, often from ex-commie countries who are there for a laugh, but his grave is surrounded by a bunch of other, mostly 3rd world communist party figures who no doubt think it was a great honor worth paying for. Highgate cemetary itself is a fun place to walk around. It's really overgrown in some places and very creepy.
>>
>>1211600
When you think that he didn't believe in land ownership, the best fucking part is the $6 fee to get to see his grave.

>>1211447
I recently visited the Mount Carmel memorial, pretty sure their bodies were put in a mass grave somewhere on the property but a local militia donated a very nice granite memorial of tombstones stacked as a wall, it was so sad to see all the names and ages. Aborted Baby Summer, Serenity Sea Jones, Dave's kids, Unborn Baby, it just went on and on.
>>
>>1211600
I can probably look it up on google; but , how large is the cemetery ?
>>
>>1211603
6$ to see a tomb. What...?
>>
>>1211608
Some place ran an article on it that I read after googling it because I wanted to see the place for myself. It poked fun at lefties peering over the hedge and how the local church used to sell little Marx coffee mugs and shit.

It's kind of sad, Marx himself paid $5 for a small plot of land and a small marker, next to his sister iirc, but the communist party of Britain moved his grave and fashioned it to fit their cult of personality for him.

And yea the fee is to view the part of the cemetery he's in. It's not a booth directly blocking him but everyone there will tell you he's the guy everyone comes to see
>>
>>1211615
Oh wow ... interesting. Thanks for the info. Will look more into it.
>>
>>1211447
Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France, was an amazing place to explore.
>>
I roleplay as George Orwell whenever I hitchhike around England. Last time I was doing this I happened to be dropped off in the village he was buried in. Total coincidence. I picked some nettles to lay on his grave and had a little fanboy moment there.
I like to imagine what he'd say about the massive nuclear power plant they built half a mile away.
>>
Any interesting ones to see in the U.K.? Oddly enough my collede English teacher found out I was stationed here and said I should check out the grave of this sort of Scottish Robin Hood, it's kind of like a pilgrimage spot for some Scots now.
>>
>>1211675
Highly recommended to check out the teenage 'alt' girls crying at Jim Morrison's grave.

It's also a very nice cemetery in general.
>>
File: IMG_7858.jpg (4MB, 4702x3402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7858.jpg
4MB, 4702x3402px
The old part of Assistens Kirkegård in Copenhagen is used for sunbathing and picnics in summer. It's quite nice and you can visit the graves of HC Andersen, Kierkegaard, Niels Bohr and Eckersberg.
>>
The Highgate Cemetery closes at 4pm, so don't come to late or the gates will be locked, OP.
>>
>>1211905
Shit, is the cemetery walled/fenced in ? I'm sure kids break and out all the time.
>>
File: HG1.png (1MB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
HG1.png
1MB, 900x598px
>>1211940

Cast iron gates and brick walls, lad.
>>
>>1211945
If Mexicans can do it. I can too.
Would I be charged if they caught me tho?
>>
I honestly don't see the appeal to doing this. I understand wanting to see a cemetery if it looks very scenic, but seeing famous people's tombs sounds really boring.
>>
>>1211447
Wiener Zentralfriedhof, mang. The largest necropolis of Europe.
>>
>>1211447
OP, there are far cooler graves in and around London if you explore a bit, such as Sir Isaac Newton, Shakespeare, Christopher Wren, Bram Stoker, Rudyard Kipling, Peter Sellers, Keith Moon,
Just to go Westminster Abbey and stomp all over the gravestones :P Maybe make a reservation to do brass rubbing for fun. I have some that are 35 years old and still treasured art in my house.

I love cemetaries in general, the older the better. Some of the epitaphs are quite humorous or whimsical, and sometimes there are plagues that go through and you'll see whole sections of families lost. I find them most fun at low elevations with raised graves, such as in New Orleans or in the tropics.
http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/visiting/brass-rubbing/
>>
>>1212055
Do people still use the cemetery's ? Or are the my more like parks in London
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.