[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tibet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I am travelling to Tibet in less than a month.

Is there anyone who ever visited this country?
Any experiences?

I am mostly curious about the altitude sickness and the less oxygen. it is driving me crazy. I am trying to get in shape for several months now to be prepared but I am still very afraid that I will end up in a devastated hospital.

Also what about their food? So far when I was outside Europe in Turkey or in African countries I always had diarrhea.
>>
>>1209538
Don't know more about Tibet than you do, but have experience with altitude sickness as I mountaineer when given the chance, so
>most people are fine until ~3000m - if you're unlucky first symptoms show up around 2500m
>if at all possible, go up slowly over the course of several days, acclimatisation is key
>climb high, sleep low
>drink a lot - prevents dehydration headache
>take it easy unless you like shortness of breath and massive headaches
>avoid Diamox, it hides dangerous symptoms and the sides are annoying
>simple painkiller against headache is fine
>again, drink a lot, maybe use oral rehydration salts
>read up on symptoms, learn to recognize dangerous ones
>go down if needed/possible

If you go from sea level to Lhasa directly, you will more than likely feel like shit for a week or so. Unless you're lucky, but there's no way of predicting that. Do continue getting in shape.
>>
>>1209538
Don't you need to be a part of a guided group to go there?
>>
>>1209686
Thank you for your experiences, that seems tough as hell. I hope I will manage somehow. As you said my group is travelling from China to Lhasa with a plane.

>>1209725
Yes we are going in a group, I just referred to myself as I because I don't even know my group yet.
>>
>>1209754
>Thank you for your experiences, that seems tough as hell. I hope I will manage somehow. As you said my group is travelling from China to Lhasa with a plane.
Unless you're spending a few days at higher altitude prior to taking that plane, you'll more than likely experience discomfort the first few days in Lhasa. Then again, as long as you don't develop a edema (which is pretty damn rare at that altitude), you'll be fine eventually - it's only 3500m after all.
>>
It's polite to give white scarves to monks, and the greeting is "Bhoe gyalo," sort of sounds like 'Pergalo.'

When talking about religious matters, avoid discussing the Panchen Lama by that title; His new title is Panchen Zumba (emphasis on Zuma, 'zooooma,') and some monks will get angry - or as angry as a monk can get - if you call him a Lama.

If you see a procession of monks, there's a myth that one of the founding monks of Tibet was betrayed by a demon disguised as a monk, who had a black tongue and horns. Therefore it's tradition to bow slightly or kneel, scratch your head and show your tongue.

Also if you do half of this you will be killed.
>>
>>1209538
Take it easy the first few days. You won't get acclimated if you take a plane directly there. Unless you live at altitude, you will feel the difference. Climbing up Potala palace is probably not the greatest on your first day there. You will easily get winded. I also found it quite dry in Lhasa. Woke up every day with very dry throat.

Food is an acquired taste. Lot of yak and mutton with associated dairy products made from yak. Also cooked in yak butter. Not much vegetables. Remember eating some type of sour grass as a vegetable dish. Will likely get upset stomach.
>>
>>1209538
Do you need to book tours way in advance or can you get one on short notice? I want to visit Tibet as part of larger backpacking tour and can't be tied down to a specific date
>>
You're going to be fine with the altitude.
I used to smoke cigarettes and was smoking and drinking in Tibet with only a minor headache.
>>
>>1209538
I bet.
>>
susceptibility to altitude sickness is highly genetic. i hike often and am a healthy weight, but i could definitely feel the altitude the first time i went to santa fe which is only 2200m above sea level, while some of the fat slobs i was with didn't notice anything.

i did manage to hike to 3800m a week later in colorado though, the acclimatisation days were crucial. in switzerland i took the Jungfraubahn from ~700m to 3454m and i felt lightheaded within 20 minutes and was climbing the stairs in slow motion.
>>
>>1209538
>tibet in march

I hope you're not planning on seeing chinese tibet
I'l be in china, and it's highly doubtful I'l be able to enter the entire province

I hear that due to march being the anniversary of some uprising, the chinese pay out on the region march/april
it's apparently almost entirely arbitary, some tour operators won't take bookings etc

have't been yet, but my understanding is that acclimatization has to be gradual, really avoid flying directly to lhassa, and taking the golmund train is also not recommended as it climbs several thousand feet HIGHER than lhassa, and is pressured like an aeroplane

if anyone knows how to swing a tibetan entery permit in dali/liijiang/chongquing I would love to know
>>
>>1209686
http://smtebooks.com/Downloads/3223
>>
>>1210173
Would also like to know that.
>>
>>1210029

HAPE and HACE are pretty rare
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.