[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason that anyone would go to NYC other than for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

Is there a reason that anyone would go to NYC other than for the progressive climate?
>>
>>1209441

>progressive

That's a reason NOT to go.
>>
>>1209445
That is why I am asking if there is anything else to go for. I assume Staten Island is not big on progressive politics
>>
>>1209441
There's so much going on and so much money floating around that it's possible to make a living doing pretty much whatever the fuck you want if you're clever. You can pretty much make up your own job as long as you can find someone willing to pay you to do it. You can reinvent yourself as often as you need to. If you don't manage to get rich you'll have to be clever about about your living situation, because real estate costs a lot here. Like wine? You can make a living as a sommelier, salesman or even importer. Like food? You can be a restaurateur, a cook aspiring to be a chef or even a fucking food writer. Want to see the world? Join a company that provides crew for setting up live performances and off you go, but you're based in NYC because that's where the company is. Have some sense of do-goodery? People actually make a living here working for non-profits. Don't care? Go make a bundle working on Wall St. The opportunities are endless. The same goes for things to do for fun, things to eat and people to meet. If you don't have the money to travel you can just walk around outer borough immigrant neighborhoods and get a taste of cultures from around the world. Also NYC is remarkably safe right now for a large American city.
>>
>>1209452
Enticing. What if I wanted to play it safe and get an engineering job somewhere for the city?

... Is it possible to make a living off of music in NYC? I have kind of always wanted to do that
>>
>>1209455
>... Is it possible to make a living off of music in NYC?
It's a bitch sometimes, but I've been doing it for 20 years. You're unlikely to make a living playing rock gigs on Bleeker St, but I know folks who play Broadway shows and do OK. I know classical musicians who do OK. You're not gonna get rich, but you can cobble an income together doing it. Between some teaching, music for films, gigs here and there, a few lucky breaks working with famous musicians and producing I've managed to buy a little piece of Brooklyn and haven't gone broke yet. But I have had to pick up side jobs here and there to pad things out when things got slow. But you can pick up interesting things to do so your not stuck with a 9 to 5 in an office somewhere. I've dabbled in the food and wine business, journalism, written computer code, worked fashion trade shows and done other shit in addition to working on a handful of major label records and touring the world with a couple bands. Almost everyone I know with a decent straight job makes more money than I do, but my life is interesting and fun as fuck. The trick is keeping overhead low so all of what I earn doesn't pay an outrageous rent. Buying an apartment a few years in an unfashionable neighborhood really helped with that. But it's still a constant hustle.
>>
>>1209469
The catch is that I am a simple kit drummer! I could learn all the ropes of orchestral percussion to broaden my horizons a bit. I bet that may do the trick.
>>
>>1209506
The guys doing Broadway and Orchestral work are members of Local 802. I'm not so much a fan of the union, but they are probably the only reason Broadway shows still have live music.
>>
>>1209441
The hardocre progressives are midwestern transplants 80% of the time. The average new yorker actually born here is center left. This isnt san Fran
>>
>>1209441
It is the largest city in the united states and it's full of history, interesting architecture, cultural attractions, food, people, etc. You mean besides the obvious? Or are you retarded?
>>
>>1209441
If you're visiting, your personal political views do not matter. I do not even really find it to be that progressive.

>>1209445
You sound like a jerk tbf
>>
>>1209518
This. When i think of progressive cities i think the west and west coast new york is only solid blue because immigrants and minorities
>>
>>1209441
>largest city is the US
None whatsoever
>>
>>1209441
No, it's shit. America is a third world country, hopefully Trump will change that over the next few years.
>t. medpack
>>
File: 1467769389137.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1467769389137.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1209441
I'm actually traveling there next month, I'm from Chile and my girlfriend insisted too fucking much. What are good places to visit there? I'm guessing the central park, Manhattan and that stadium I can't quite remember it's name but I'm pretty much lost about everything else. Also I want to buy a MAGA hat but my hotel doesn't accept deliveries so I can't order it online, is there any physical shop or store I could buy it from? I'm thinking about visiting the Trump tower to see if they got stock but if they don't I wouldn't know where to go.
>>
It's the only city that's both good for tech (pays highly) and isn't an absolute sausagefest. So if you want to both make 200k+ in tech and date at your level, it's the only place in the world you can do that easily.
>>
>>1209441
>Is there a reason that anyone would go to NYC other than for the progressive climate?
>>traveling anywhere or not traveling somewhere because muh politics

If you feel this way you need to grow the fuck up and stop desparetly seeking approval from strangers around you.
>>
>>1209441
World renowned culture, any type of food in the world, amazing architecture things like that one of the best bar/club scenes in the world and definitely the best in the United States. Things like that.
>>
>>1210681
What are some good bars/clubs in NYC?
FYI Good means: clean, not hole in the wall, not just beer, not overpriced or too ritzy, very social but not a sports bar, music but not so loud it makes you deaf, not a "dive bar", normal mixed crowd nothing elitist or that would appeal going to certain exclusive subcultures
Added bonus: also serves food
>>
I haven't lived in New York for a year and I'm already exhausted with explaining to others why living here is worth it.
>>
>>1210692
PDT, Employee's Only, Dead Rabbit, Death & Co & Mayahuel
>>
>>1210798
>anon delivers
Thanks, will check these out.
>>
>>1210681
>world renowed culture
Are you retarded? there is no culture in most north american cities.
>>
Im going NY later this year for 5 days.

I figure I can get most of the typical tourist crap out of the way in one or two days. Wouldn't mind checking out the brooklyn brewery since its free, but also looking at a day trip somewhere from NYC, any suggestions? Was looking at Philadelphia day trip since its only an hour on train
>>
>>1211536
Philly is 90 minutes on regular Amtrak. The Acela is one hour. Try Newark for the Newark Museum. PATH train will take you there.
>>
NYC has great nightlife. The nightlife areas are very walkable and there are lots of cool bars.

Plus, last call is 4AM every night.
>>
I go there for Allah.
>>
>>1209510
It's far from conservative though. The only people in NYC that vote Republican are Guidos and Hassidic Jews for the most part. And the former have been leaving NYC for a while now.
>>
>>1212265
Surely theres something between purple haired otherkin and conservatives? *shrugs*
>>
>>1212354
Well yeah.

I'm liberal on most issues, and am staunchly against Trump, but I'm not a tranny right's activist.
>>
>>1212356
*rights
>>
>>1212354
Most people in NYC are liberal leaning.
Liberal and batshit insane SJW's from tumblr aren't the same thing. You'll see young people who if you ask if they're cool with gays/trans and other things some conservatives would take issue with, they'll say yes. That doesn't mean they're going to go full tumblr on you and demand you leave their safe space immediately. Most are of the outlook that is summed up as :

>let people do what they want so long as it concerns themselves
>social equality is good
>I'm still not gonna go to a LGBT parade in a leopard print leotard holding a sign that says "fuck me daddy" written in the cum of seven wise men.

Most of what you see/hear about of how liberals act in the u.s's liberal leaning cities is people jumping on the bandwagon of wanting to share their made up crazy SJW stories. There are some batshit insane people but you're unlikely to run into them I think. I grew up there and have always been slightly left leaning with some views from the right as well, and i've never been attacked by packs of gay men wielding dildos followed by a second wave of feminists with castration tools.
>>
>>1212426
Conservatives don't understand the distinction, they think it's them against an surrounding wall of degenerate "snow flakes" who do and think about nothing else besides oppressing helpless white males.

Predisposition towards paranoia constantly reinforced niche media fear mongering.
>>
>>1212354
I think other parts of the country have far more tumblr weirdos. Places like Ohio where they lurk in deserted post industrial cities like creatures from Fallout. They basically exist on public benefits because of their 'conditions' and you can't really afford that lifestyle in NYC unless you're a black or hispanic that got a sweet deal from public housing or vouchers.
>>
>>1209452
So anon, humor me. If I wanted to be a doctor/surgeon, and I know NYC, especially the low income areas, are suffering from a lack of surgeons. Say I wanted to move there BEFORE I start schooling. Would you honestly say, I'd have a chance at it? Just coming from your experience and sights.
>>
>>1212725
White people can live in NYCHA too if they want, some already do
>>
>>1212829
Well you could do it as long as you pay the rent

And I don't think any "poor areas" are suffering from a lack of surgeons. The poor areas are never too far from nicer areas.
>>
>>1209510

This is true. I was born in NYC and most people I know from here are liberal but relatively mild. You will probably not get any in-your-face obnoxious mega-lefties here unless you go into NYU's campus (or a few other select places).

In contrast when I visited San Francisco for a week there were dyed hair tumblrfolk everywhere.
>>
>>1209441

I went to NYC two years ago to celebrate my 25th birthday (I also happened to have friends who lived in Brooklyn at the time). Used AirBnB to stay at this place in Harlem and used the metro system to get everywhere.

Even as a white guy, Harlem didn't seem too bad... just as long as I stuck to the main roads and didn't look like a complete tourist.

Personally, I enjoyed the hustle-and-bustle of it all, mainly because I don't have to deal with that shit every day when I'm at home. Manhattan is a tourist trap/business hellhole, Brooklyn has cleaned up nicely, Harlem is... black, Queens is dumpy, and I didn't get to visit Staten Island but I was told there's nothing interesting there anyway
>>
>>1214723
Queens is comfortable. There's stuff to do and plenty of restaurants but the borough is so big.
>>
>>1214723
go back and dont come back
>>
>>1214754
For someone used to flyover country I can see why it might look "dumpy" but it's pretty cool overall
>>
>>1215000
Museum of the Moving Image
Rufus King mansion
Queens County Farm
art deco stores on Jamaica Avenue
>>
>>1212829
Moving here while going to school? I hope you're rich, because this place is expensive. Not across the board - there are lots of good cheap eats and free (or nearly free) things to do here - but that monthly nut for rent is a killer. You'd need a lot of money to live here any length of time without an income stream. Those NYU kids everyone bitches about? All fucking rich kids.
>>
I'm moving to New York City this summer. What are the cheapest areas/neighborhoods to find a room to rent? Hopefully that also aren't extremely dangerous to live in.
>>
>>1216022
Southern brooklyn. About an hour from midtown manhattan but generally cheap, safe and comfy
>>
>>1215117
Also
>qtpie jamaican girls on Jamaica avenue
>>
>>1216109
I prefer qtpie Latinas on Roosevelt Ave
>>
>>1216108
It's not even cheap anymore.
>>
>>1216125
Theres rooms for rent in safe neighborhoods for 600 (give or take $50) thats not bad at all
>>
>>1216109
I like both. And from mt experience most qt spanish speaking girls like in bronx or wash heights queens is more slavs, blacks and chinese
>>
>>1216199
Like a single bedroom? Unless it's a family or friend, FUCK that

>>1216200
Queens has a TON of Mexicans and South Americans. Woodside, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, and Corona all have big Hispanic populations.
>>
>>1216371
Mexifats are disgusting lol i would fug any spanish girl but them
>FUCK that
lol is 600 w utilities really considered expenisve? In manhattan most rooms are at least 800 and can be 1k or more
>>
>>1216200
Also, Washington Heights has more Dominicans, the Bronx Puerto Ricans and Dominicans with a sprinkling of Mexicans, while Queens has pretty much everything but especially Mexicans and South Americans
>>
>>1216373

Stop calling Latinos "Spanish", that's like saying Americans are "English".

And I see a lot of fly Mexican chicks, sure some of them are overweight but plenty of them are cute.

As for the room, I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to rent out a room unless I really had to. In most US cities, you don't even have to think of doing that.
>>
>>1209448
From what I've seen on Google Maps, Staten Island is pretty much just a suburb beyond the port area that takes you to Manhattan.

>>1216375
>In most US cities, you don't even have to think of doing that.
Remember where you want to go.
>>
>>1209441
Depends. Are you Jewish or like Jews?
>>
>>1216386
There is literally a trailer park in Staten Island by the Goethal's Bridge

But yeah, North of the Expressway is relatively urban but it gets pretty suburban once you go South of it
>>
>>1216375
>Stop calling Latinos "Spanish".
Stop being autistic words can have multiple meanings.
>>
>>1216394
It was never supposed to mean what Latino means.

Some ignorant New Yorkers started calling Puerto Ricans "Spanish" because they speak Spanish.
>>
>>1216375
>Stop calling Latinos "Spanish", that's like saying Americans are "English".
If you're going to move here at least learn the lingo. We all say this; we don't literally mean we think they're from Spain.
>>
>>1216781
I've lived here my whole life and it's a pet peeve of mine. It is a misnomer.

No shit you're not implying they're from Spain, but you're calling them Spanish because they speak Spanish and that's super dumb.
>>
>>1216781
And no not everyone says it, mostly the ignorant do in my experience.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.