[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ill be travelling around europe for 8 months with only $1,000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

Ill be travelling around europe for 8 months with only $1,000 as my budget after airfare. Ill be only travelling around Portugal, France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Austria and maybe Switzerland

What are my chances of ending up dead?
How can I avoid ending up dead? I own a violin but im not too good, I bought a flute and a Chinese flute and I cant play those either so busking seems bleak
>>
Save more money or stay for less time.
>>
>>1208045
Im a 19yo college student and I really want to stay for the 8 months, I could stay 3 months instead but I wanna experience this
>>
>>1208047
You cannot keep yourself fed and sheltered for 125 dollars a month unless you find someone willing to subsidize you for most of your trip, as in, couchsurfing almost every day for 8 months, with your host throwing some food your way. That isn't even considering transportation between those countries will eat up most of the 1000 just by itself, unless you hitchhike the entire way.

Seriously think about it, 1000 dollars for 8 months is living on a little over 4 dollars a day. Even in Thailand or Cambodia it isn't possible.

I guarantee you have shit you don't really need that you can sell to get more cash, or that you can go to your mom or dad or aunt or uncle or brother and scrape together at least a few more hundred dollars. If you really want to make it the whole 8 months, sell everything you don't truly need, borrow money from friends and family, or best of all, get a job and work and save it up. When do you plan to leave, how much time do you have to earn money?

Don't forget you can sell blood plasma in America and make 50 bucks a week at it, do it for 3 months straight and you'd have increased you budget by 60%, which makes this go from completely impossible to just regular impossible.
>>
>>1208044
You'll be lucky if $1000 last you much more than a month. In Spain or Portugal, you could probably last a couple months if you slummed it. Definitely not going to work for France, Germany, Benelux, Italy, Austria and (lol) Switzerland. In Switzerland, $1000 would probably last you a couple weeks at absolute slummy 'best'.

Don't know where you're from, but non-EU tourists from first world countries generally get 90 days in the EU out of any 180-day period. If you did manage to stay in the country for 8 months illegally, you would be caught when you exit, detained and officially deported and barred from re-entry for a time (could be a year, could be forever).

You will not be allowed to enter without a return ticket or proof of onward travel within 90 days (even then they could bar you).
>>
>>1208056
OP has 90 days, period.

There is no chance, no way to get a stay of 8 months. Perhaps if you get a student visa, but that's a whole other ballgame.

Why do Americans think they can just go anywhere they want for as long as they want like it doesn't matter?
>>
>>1208044
>8 months
Hope you like sucking dick for a living.
That amount of money wouldn't keep you fed on self-cooked groceries in Eastern Europe, yet alone pay for the costs of accomodation and anything fun.
>>
>>1208074
>nobody mentioned america
>angrily brings up america

Tumblr pleaze
>>
>>1208085
>$1,000
>Trump picture
>no idea how the world works
Do you need the Star-Spangled Banner playing in the background to guess he's American?
>>
>>1208085
It's pretty fucking obvious.
>>
File: 1389078733185.jpg (103KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
1389078733185.jpg
103KB, 500x663px
>>1208074
Because we're America, you commie cock gobbler.
>>
>>1208074
>>1208072
>>1208056
is it really that impossible to get extra money along the way?
>>
>>1208129
American patriotism always fascinates me. Americans literally claim their country is the best place in the world but are always so desperate to visit other countries and stay there.
>>
>>1208044
>>1208047
get a job at McDonalds for a few months and save up more money you mong
>>
>>1208088
Oh fuck off you Euro cuck crybaby. I can tell by your posting what a whiny little bitch you are.
>>
>>1208143
>>1208044

You're fucked. Unless you're earning at least $500 or $600 per month, you'll be sleeping on sidewalks and crying yourself to bed every night. The absolute longest you can get by with $1,000 for is either two or three months, and that's if you couchsurf religiously, never eat out, never drink, hitchhike everywhere, etc.
>>
>>1208044
So you have a budget of $125 a month?

RIP, unless you work illegally

Go with atleast $10k..$20k if you want to be safe.
>>
>>1208074
Because they can just say they're a child from Syria who lost their passport and they'll be free to come and go as they please, for however long they want
>>
Prostitution!!
>>
Careful OP, some Euro countries won't let you in for that length of time if you can't show proof of sufficient funds. They'll only clear you for entry for a month, probably.
Don't worry if you're flying into Portugal though; they're one of the countries that DGAF.
>>
And to answer your question, you'll be fine. You can live comfortably on $50/week in Europe if you camp and hitchhike.
>>
>>1208215
This, OP

My UK work visa required a bank statement showing funds of £1,890 before I could be accepted, and the only reason the requirement is that low is because I am able to work while there, I just need to be able to support myself before I get a job.
>>
>>1208173
>gets BTFO
>can't accept that he's not right
>can't think of a response
>cuck
>crybaby
Everytime someone says something about murica on this site there are always at least 2-3 people insulting him, even if it's true. Guess who's the crybaby.
>>
>>1208156
I'd say it's the other way around - most of them have never been anywhere yet still firmly believe they're the best place in the world.
>>
>>51981
>>1208056
This.
You can try workaway.info or some other volunteering-for-accomodation places, might save you some cash (some places even give you food, usually farms and rural places though).
You can try hitchhiking, usually it's pretty easy in Europe due to (relatively) small distances and good infrastructre. Might save you some cash.

Go there during summer, winters are pretty harsh overall in Europe.

As anon said, try working for some time.

Europe is relatively safe, but as everywhere in the world, shit can happen. Especially with immigrants in France, Germany and Belgium.
Switzerland is crazy expensive.

I did hitch-hiking trip around Europe when I was 20 with 100 EUR in my pocket. Sometimes those who picked me up offered me a place to stay (or I talked with some random French girl in Venice and she and her friends allowed me to stay in their place), sometimes I slept in a park (that's why sumemr is important).

Good luck OP, but $1k is far from enough. Not impossible, but really tough, especialyl if you dont have any experience.
>>
>>1208044
For god's sake, just stay for three months in suburban and rural, poor places of Portugal and Spain. If you stay anywhere else in Western Europe, you're going to be fucked beyond measure.
>>
File: 421px-Jiub.jpg (43KB, 421x599px) Image search: [Google]
421px-Jiub.jpg
43KB, 421x599px
>>1208361
>Fucked beyond measure outlander.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (26KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
26KB, 1280x720px
>>1208330
so its posdible for me not to die if I only go for 3 months?

Ill be hitchhiking, couchsurfing primarily and be pretty reliant on the kindess of strangers. I also planned on sleeping in parks and such to save money during the trip

Im 19 also and im not unatteactive (at least in america). Im dark skinned hispanic (I look Dominican). So i think I could blend in enough to where strange men and women help

Is this trip still a death wish
>>
>>1208389
>op being told over and over and over again that it's not possible
>"but will i die attempting it?"

No, you won't die you stupid motherfucker, but you'll have literally no money to your name in one of the most expensive regions on earth. Europe is not fucking US, you can't just go around sleeping in parks, the police will come and kick you out, and that's in the friendly parts of the continent. If they check your passport and see you have overstayed, it's jail or deportation. Absolutely everything costs money, and in some places quite a lot, so relying on the "kindness of strangers" to feed your ass for half a year is quite literally the dumbest idea ever. Couchsurfing is not a fucking sponsorship, the host is NOT expected to pay for your fucking food. A few bad reviews like that and no one will host you again. Then you add that you're dark skinned, and you think this is a plus in places like France and Switzerland, countries that are, objectively speaking, quite racist? There's a very real chance that you'll have to sleep weeks outside and go hungry for days unless you steal or eat food from trash cans and squat.

Your plan is flawed in every aspect. You will live on a shoestring, not being able to every buy even a medium decent meal or a beer by yourself, your clothes and shoes will be worn but you won't be able to buy new ones yourself, traveling with people you meet will be impossible unless you can convince them to pay for your journey, you'll have to sponge off of absolutely everyone you meet, like a dirty beggar you'll have to exploit people just to survive.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A FUCKING HOLIDAY TO YOU?!
>>
>>1208044

Unlikely to end up dead, but vagrant and deported is a very real possibility. Assuming US dollars you can't afford to stay any more than a month after accommodation and local travel are accounted for
>>
>>1208216

Twaddle.
>>
File: allah.jpg (54KB, 960x948px) Image search: [Google]
allah.jpg
54KB, 960x948px
>>1208872
>>1208409
I just decided I bring a bicycle and do a bike tour with camping gear

crisis averted and Ill get to stay for 3 months unless I decide to get a visa for a longer trip (would just ask my parents for more money)
>>
File: 1478656390065.jpg (175KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
1478656390065.jpg
175KB, 500x348px
>>1209513
You can't just camp wherever you want either you dense creature, and you'll still have no money for food. But I'm not going to argue with you anymore, you seem hell-bent on going through with this IDIOTIC plan of yours, and 20 people telling you it's a bad idea seem to have no effect.

Go to Europe, get harassed by police every day for camping in places you're not allowed to, eat food out of trash cans, then call mommy after a few months so you can borrow money for the trip home. Sounds like a fucking awesome holiday.
>>
>>1209543
>then call mommy after a few months so you can borrow money for the trip home
I give it days, not months. $1000? I'd say 7 days.
>>
>>1209545
>>1209543
>there's no way I can find a camping ground even though many people have done it!
>you cannot eat for cheap even though many people have done it!
most major cities have campgrounds nearby the city

and I can just cook my own food
>>
>>1209548
So you basically want to be a homeless for 8 months?

Have you ever considered that it could rain/snow there and you'd be in the open? Or that you might need medical care after living like this for more than some weeks?

If you want to play homeless, just go play somewhere near your home.
>>
>>1209548
>most major cities have campgrounds nearby the city
Most aren't free, you know.
>>
OP, if shit doesnt go your way with couchsurfing or workaway, all you need to do is befriend the jugglers, hippies, rainbow people, and street performers wherever you go and they will lead you to squats where the living arrangements are horrendous but 100% free. You can also go dumpster diving for food or hit up bakeries and fast food joints at night when they close and ask employees to hook a brotha up. If you're persistent but friendly and respectful, they will relent.

I did this for 6.5 months mostly in northern and eastern europe. I also twice scored a free bed from tinder (one for almost a week) so thats another option.

Oh and another one, hit up charity organizations in big cities like greenpeace and redcross and amnesty etc. They can give you quick work as a street campaigner for them and its decent money and in some cases, you can even sleep in their office.

So yeah, anything really is possible if you are determined.
>>
>>1209513
You CANNOT get a visa for a longer trip. 90 days is it, maximum. There is no extension for tourists.

Even biking and camping, $1000 is not going to stretch 3 months. Assuming that's American shekels, then that's 900€. Not a bad exchange, but 900€ is absolutely not going to last 3 months. Sorry, but it's laughable.

>>1209548
I wouldn't bet on that. Even with 'nearby' campgrounds, you're still going to be like 2-3 hour bikerides (one way) away from stuff to see in a major city. Large cities may not really be bike friendly, considering the kind of biking you're considering. Presumably you're going to be carting around all your gear, which will get stolen in no time anywhere that's not small Swiss, German or Finnish villages. Frankly, if I were doing a bike tour, I'd stay as far away as possible from big cities.
>>
camping isn't free, even if you ate mi goreng every night (bringing your own gas stove) you are in for at least $10 a day, that's at least double your budget and no wine or transport
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.