[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

currency exchange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: currency_2576865b.jpg (58KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
currency_2576865b.jpg
58KB, 620x387px
What is the cheapest and/or best way of getting currency when traveling to multiple countries?

I am going to Hong Kong at the beginning of March and then I'm going to Taiwan and then Japan and who knows where after that.

Should I order some cash for all 3 of these countries so that I have it on me when I get to each place? And then just use my debit card to withdraw what I need after I spend that?

I am from the UK and my bank is HSBC.
I had no problem using my card in Portugal for euros, I heard you can go to 7/11's or post offices for ATMs in Japan (not sure if I can do this on Ishigaki island where I plan to start).

As for Hong Kong and Taiwan I know nothing.

Any experience you guys could share would be much obliged.
>>
I mean with HSBC at least; it does seem straight forward withdrawing from ATMs abroad but I don't know how easy this is in random Asian countries. I will probably order to my local all 3 currencies (enough for a couple of weeks hostel accommodation for these 3 countries) and then use my bank card to withdraw decent amounts of money when I need it so the fees don't kill me too much.
>>
>>1207690
Don't know about those countries. With credit its often a fee and % you lose. Debit just a fee. So I get out a couple €100 each time. (SEA tho, works different in every country tho)
>>
>>1207697
Yeah I would like to think I'll be good to go in Hong Kong since I am with the "The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation" after all...
>>
>>1207697
not anymore. you have to look into it, but most cards i've seen have 0% now. only problem can be most asian stores not liking cards. some banks(schwab) or credit unions(navy fed) don't charge a transaction fee anymore
>>
>>1207690
I'm from the UK and the Halifax Clarity is by far the best option for drawing out cash abroad.

Basically the card has zero fees except it starts adding interest onto the amount drawn out from the moment you use it. But, if you download the Halifax app, find a place with WiFi and pay off the balance immediately (from your HSBC current account or whatever) then you end up paying nothing extra. Even then, I couldn't get WiFi for a couple of days on one trip and the interest only added up to about 20p...

I've used it in 20+ countries and it's been amazing - just make sure you let Halifax know which countries you're visiting (you can do this in the app as well)
>>
Learn about pegged currencies and start from there.

Unsure of Taiwan and Japan, but delve into Chungking Mansions - There are probably 20 currency exchange places on the main floor with easy to understand exchange rates.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.