[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military travel to Greenland?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: cold.png (1B, 486x500px)
cold.png
1B, 486x500px
Okay so I know it's a weirdly specific question, and I plan on talking to the agencies here on base, but I'm just coming out of tech school and one of the guys I hung out with in boot camp got stationed in Greenland.

I know the military does flights there: They would have to for supplies, but what are the odds of getting a hop on a plane to a remote base with few people? Any military folks here ever hop a flight to a remote base?
>>
>>1206726
you can go to the MAC flight website and see whats available.

its pretty random.
>>
>>1207422
Bruh thank you for showing me this, looks like it's got hops to Diego Garcia and Guantanamo Bay and shit.
>>
>>1206726
US military stationed in Greenland?

If so, neat. And what was his MOS that got him there?
>>
>>1206726
the dutch do a patrol system. it's not a major thing, but they like to talk about it. i doubt they have a regular system, but if you start looking up info from their embassy you might find a way to get there
>>
>>1206726
Perhaps he became part of the Sirius patrol?
Was he danish and/or greenlandic?
>>
>>1207474
Thule Air Force Base.

Its not a very big place, and most of the occupants arent American, but it is an American base with a decent sized population. Never been (army guy myself) but I served in a staff position with the United Nations Command in Korea with an air force officer who had just come from there. He said it was beautiful but boring and he was happy to leave. I imagine it would be a lot nicer place though for just a visit.

Good luck getting your leave approved for it though, because MAC flights are space A and a seat is never guarenteed. Its not like you are going on a MAC flight to say, Japan or Germay, where you could easily catch a civ flight out if you cant jump on a mil flight. I know one guy who ended up going AWOL because he went home on leave using Space A travel from Korea then couldnt get a flight back for a month after his leave ended. Keep in mind Korea has upwards of 30000 US troops, where as Greenland has a few hundred I believe. I cant imagine Thule sees a huge amount of air traffic, but then again everything has to be flown in ad it is so remote, and there probably arent a lot of people going there.

It is also worth mentioning (probably the most important thing..?) I believe Thule is a controlled installation and I dont think just anyone can go, even with a CAC card. I believe you need a permit from the government of Greenland.

Some of this info may not be 100% accurate, but I did look into going space A there in the 2011 timeframe and it just turned out to be something I couldnt do. Maybe the process will be more simple for an Airman since it is your guys' base afterall. My point is do your research. Dont end up going AWOL or something fresh out of tech school.
>>
>>1206726
I'm from the United States and currently live in greenland (Vestgronland, Nuuk) and theres not any bs over here. fastest internet speed here is 5mbps down though...
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.