[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scams

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Zloty-Poland.jpg (70KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
Zloty-Poland.jpg
70KB, 625x417px
You ever been scammed whilst traveling?
I've been pick pocketed a time or two, but my only bad experience was in Poland.
I went to a currency exchange and wasn't really paying attention.
I gave the guy $100 USD, and I walked away with only around 300 zloty.
By the time I realized I got ripped off there wasn't much I could do.
That guy is behind an inch of glass and can ignore me if he wanted to.
I just decided not to go back there again.
>>
Only once and it was a really minor thing.

Was on a small bus in turkey and the guy said he didn't have change and will return it to me once he gets it.
He conveniently forgot about it. I mentioned it to him as I was stepping out of the bus and he shaked his head and had that knowing smile of scaming me, as he said something to the driver and they took off. It was only 2€ though, so no biggie, just really rude for such a small amount.
>>
>>1206724
Something similar happened to my dad in the Czech Republic ages ago. We, as a family on vacation, went to an exchange office and got scammed. He argued with the exchange bitch behind the glass to get this money back but she adamantly refused.
However, my dad decided to remain in the exchange office and he started telling all the incoming customers that the exchange office was a scam, scaring away every single fucking potential customer and, consequently, ruining the office's business that day. This went on for 3-4 hours until me and my sister started crying (I was like 5 or 6). Eventually the exchange office lady gave in and returned the money, and we left.

Pretty badass imo.
>>
>>1206724
When was that? And where?

Also did you not look at the rates and ask whether they have commission? That's money exchange 101.
>>
>>1206783

Can that get you in trouble? Is there a law which prevents you from standing in front of someone's establishment and badmouthing them?
>>
>>1206783
>>1206794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyK8dQH-Vh0
>>
>>1206786
That was just in November in Krakow.
I had gotten trusting because a place in Budapest had never ripped me off and I got careless.
I certainly won't be letting it happen again.
>>
>>1206724
yeah, in shanghai actually. a group of girls approached me and told me they were in the city to "experience the romantic side of the city" or some nonsense. i joined them as they appeared to be nice and they nonstop asked me questions and lured me to a nearby tea house. was the infamous tea house scam but at the end i told them i will pay 50 yuan max and got really angry and then left.

fuck them.
>>
File: george-best-2-quote.jpg (68KB, 336x420px) Image search: [Google]
george-best-2-quote.jpg
68KB, 336x420px
>>1206800
I'm guessing this is where the term Shanghai'd comes from.
>>
>>1206800
Infamous tea house scam?
whats that
>>
>>1206800
We were on a coffee run with my father in law in Beijing, looking for a Starbucks (fuck chinese hotels coffee) .
A local "student" approached us and chatted us up, asking if she could help us, show us around and stuff to practice her English.
We explained we were looking for a Starbucks, she said sure come this way.
After taking several Streets, we ended up in front of a chinese café. When I asked her where the Starbucks was she said it had closed already, but this place was great they had great coffee and we should come with her.
I told her to fuck off, and we left, of course we found a Starbucks 2 Streets away.

>>1206816
You are never shown a pricelist, your companions order for you, you end up with a retardedly expensive bill (think in the hundreds if not thousands for a few rounds of tea), and if you refuse to pay the owner and/or his staff will put pressure on you and threaten you until you cave in and pay.
My piece of advice would be to start a live Facebook, a facetime or just filming everyone's faces and the place, and yelling "internet, internet". Nobody in China would take the risk to be caught on tape blatantly scamming a tourist. Same goes for taxis scams (I barely escaped one in Shanghai) and for other tourists scams (I fell for one in Thailand, but that was is 2005 and back then I didn't even have a smartphone, let alone a worldwide plan).
>>
Be Hungarian, then you'll never be scammed anywhere (but Hungary).
>>
>>1206800
A guy I met in Beijing had an amazing story about that.

He got approached by a woman, taken for the usual teahouse scam unknowingly, and asked to pay for the bill - something like 200USD. He was shocked, and the girl said that it's okay, I'll pay for half. But he only had a credit card, so he paid the whole thing using his card, and she gave him 100 in cash directly.

After he had left, he found out that his credit card company had cancelled (or declined?) the transaction, because it was a known scam place. So in the end, he made 100 on the whole thing.
>>
>>1206797
T. a salesperson for the other exchange place
>>
>>1206851
Win
>>
>>1206851
>>1206860

I'm 100% sure it's a lie the guy made up to look smart and not a loser.
No scammer would give 100 cash for 200 paid by credit card, precisely because the CC payment has a very high probability of being cancelled. Not necessarily automatically like is purported in this case, but just by the victim calling the bank the next day.
>>
>>1206891
That, and the girl walking with cash USD, too.
I share your doubts, anon
>>
>>1206797

Yeah, that's the video that came to mind. What an obnoxious ass. I understand telling people that they're getting less than they'd get in a bank or elsewhere. But that self-righteous speech around 3:30? Fuck that cunt.
>>
>>1206800
Same
>>
>Arrive in NYC the for first time
>A nigger ask me if I need a taxi
>Say sure because i'm not a racist
>Another nigger is already sitting in the car
>They point out all the places 50 cents has been shot while we drive through the bad neighbourhoods
>They were really cool niggers, just like the once you'll see in rap videos: tall, fit in a chubby way wearing oversized clothes
>When we arrive at my hotel, they want 300 USD + tip
>give them 320
>they say tip is 60
>give them another 40

didn't know you had to be careful about the classical taxi scam in the capital of the free world
>>
File: i_1240173289_P1060055.jpg (181KB, 950x580px) Image search: [Google]
i_1240173289_P1060055.jpg
181KB, 950x580px
>>1206960
Really hope it's not bait, otherwise you got cucked really hard.
As a rule of thumb you should always be suspicious of people who approach you.

>>1206724
Rates, Receipts, Commissions. Also make a scene, mention the police and don't be afraid to pursue your rights. Even though you're on vacation, you'll feel better after getting shit sorted.

In my experience
>some girls hustled me for some money, nothing that I didn't let happen
>>
>>1206968
not bait, I did even get a receipt, i think I still have it somewhere. it was a little piece of paper made with word art, without any company name and addresses

the US dollar was really weak at the time, so it was no more than maybe the double of what a 45 minute taxi trip would have cost at home
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.