[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iceland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: imgres.png (6KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.png
6KB, 274x184px
Hello /trv/
So here is the story. US fag here. I have had the same job since my senior year in high school. Its been five years now and while I have climbed the 'corporate ladder' a bit I am now stuck and probably will not get promoted again for many years. I am at the point where I'd rather die than work for the people I work for another year (hell these last 2 months are going to be a challenge)
>ANYWAY.gif
I've decided to risk it all to have some life experiences.
I will be traveling to Iceland a country that I've wanted to visit for some time now.
Icelandic is the only other language I even have a slight grasp on and for some reason have known a few Icelandic songs for over a decade which i think helped when I finally got serious and started actively trying to learn their language.

To make a long original post short.
I will be leaving around mid-may and trying to stay for around 60 days.
I will be bringing around 5000 USD to exchange.
I plan to bring only a backpack and duffel bag.
No family or friends will be joining me (wasn't really trying to drag anyone with me anyway)

I have never left the country besides going to canada, and never on my own.
I have been doing lots of research since September, but am always open to advice.

So has anyone ever been?
Anyone live there?
Any advice on a first travel experience alone?

I already know it is an expensive country to live in let alone visit. But money is not the reason I am going, I am going for the experience and to challenge myself.
My ultimate goal would be to return in 2018 to attend a University in their country.

Okay so there is the story. Share some advice, experiences, or rip me apart lolol THANK YOU /TRV/
>>
>>1206053
Read some sagas, that will enhance your enjoyment. Go to the Settlement Museum in Bogarnes and do both tours, or at least the Egil's Tour. I'd also suggest a stop at Snorristofa.

I don't know how much fun you'll have on that amount of money for that long. I do think maybe you'd enjoy camping in a campground, but 5000/60 is under $100USD per day. I think you need double that, if not triple because there will be days you spend to do things more than eat, and you'd really enjoy a car and normal places to sleep. There is nothing on the side of the road, but about 2 feet of gravel before it's not even walkable. I don't know how people camp. The hostels aren't inexpensive, especially at peak tourism. It's volcanic lava fields. Think holes. I'm sorry but I really don't think Iceland is a place you go to slum it and backpack. It's a place you go for 10-14 days if you can manage that, but you want to do what makes it a cool place, not avoid all those things while whining about money. Yes, you can skip breakfast, eat a N1 hotdog and instant coffee for lunch, but at dinner, you're going to spend. Forget about drinking on that budget. At. All.
>>
I know almost nothing about Iceland but I would say go for it. Life is short and as far as I know you live just once. Shouldn't hard to go back home and find another job if all goes wrong. Most icelanders also speak English so I don't really think you will have a hard time getting by.
>>
>>1206062
Thanks for the message.
Luckily I don't drink :P so I won't get caught in that trap I hear its awfully expensive. I plan to not stay in a hostel the entire time either and especially not in Reykjavík if I can help it as I know its a tourist trap, I was looking into getting to smaller towns where I've seen hostels considerably cheaper to attract tourists to stay outside Reykjavík. I have heard to avoid restaurants to at all costs. I would survive on what I can buy at Bónus as it goes at home I usually just eat once a day anyway and rarely have time to snack. Only thing I splurge on is coffee and cigarettes. However I have quit smoking this last week as to get ready to leave because I know I can't afford 15$ a day on something not useful.

As far as coffee goes I'll have to live without or make my own.

But yeah I'm looking into trying to stay primarily in Akureyri

>>1206064
haa thats okay, but thank you. Yeah I plan on coming home pretty broke but I have family that would help me out if I could find a job right away. Although I would want to get one quick so I could save up and go again! haa thanks
>>
>>1206062
To be fair I'm taking what you said into consideration and even if I stayed only 40 days or so it would increase my enjoyment than likely/ have less of a chance of running out of money.
>>
I have heard that in iceland, permiscuous random sex is pretty much the status quo
>>
>>1206053
As someone who has visited Iceland twice, you will be bored to death for that long, you can do it all in a month I would say, as someone else said, it isn't a country you can slum it in.
My advice, travel somewhere else and treat Iceland as a holiday. Especially since you are going on your own, you will be safe I can guarantee that, but I personally would be bored after a month. good luck with your life change brother
>>
>>1206677
>My advice, travel somewhere else and treat Iceland as a holiday

That, or combine Iceland with a second destination -- I could see Iceland/Ireland,or do Iceland and something tropical for the contrast.

Iceland is well-worth visiting and I loved it--I would not choose it for a multi-month visit, unless you are profoundly interested in astronomy or geology or something.
>>
Do workaway if you really wanna save money and stay linger
>>
>>1206689
But... but... "stay"and "linger" mean the same thing...
>>
Icelandic here and I'm telling you its going to be expensive.. It's hard to find a good hostel. You are bringing $5000 so that is about 600.000 Kronur so if you get a hostel and live cheap, you can live there for about 4-5 months maybe. But if you are planning on living in Iceland, the rent in Reykjavik can be from 160-300 thousand Kronur but if you are traveling go in the summer time so you can backpack around the island. Just remember to bring warm clothes because it gets cold. I recommend going to music festivals and to travel around the country and get all of Iceland in the time you have (3 months). But yeah go and travel man enjoy life.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.