[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 43

File: 030.jpg (655KB, 1920x1278px) Image search: [Google]
030.jpg
655KB, 1920x1278px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1202602
>>
Some nigger tried to sell me drugs in roppongi.

Stay clear of that area guys. It's just a tourist trap.
>>
So, I made an account at JP Bank.

Can I make a paypal account with said JP bank account?
And can I transfer money from home to the new paypal account?
And get that money from the said paypal account back on my JP Bank account?

I want to run a little blog with cancer donations at the bottom, you know. Getting free dosh from weeaboos for showing them anime titties.
>>
>>1205580
you're dumb
>>
>>1205580
Are you 14?
>>
File: 61082.jpg (111KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
61082.jpg
111KB, 1280x852px
There is now a /trv/Japan LINE group!
If you would like to join, email your LINE ID to:

trv4chan@gmail dot com
>>
>>1205580
what drugs? how much for them? where exactly? think he's still there?
>>
File: muikkunen droppaa.jpg (8KB, 219x240px) Image search: [Google]
muikkunen droppaa.jpg
8KB, 219x240px
>>1205580

Yes, absolutely. Roppongi sucks and there are better places to get wasted in Tokyo. It's funny when I was there it seemed that the Nigerians only bother gaijins, but not Japanese people. Guess the cops would get involved pretty fast if they did that.
>>
File: Japan train 8bit.gif (582KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Japan train 8bit.gif
582KB, 500x374px
Has anyone been to Ise? Is there anything else to see or do besides the shrine?
>>
"Do you want to take a shower?" is the equivalent of "do you want to see my music collection," right?
>>
>>1205704
Also what's the equivalent of "netflix and chill?"

t. hospitalized
>>
just booked my next trip to the moon.
spending one month there and it's my longest trip so far, so i'm looking forward to it greatly.
>>
>>1205338

If anyone who's lived in Kyoto could let me know where to find affordable accommodation for a year that allows overnight guests, would be much appreciated
>>
>>1205567
Which between of Saitama and Kansai is better to study in schoolar exchange, including places of interest, cultural and natural events, also cheeper
>>
Yo trv,

Heading to Japan for about 2 weeks in a month's time, will probably do Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and possibly Hiroshima.

What are the best cannot miss attractions, what are some hidden gems and thoughts on the JR pass - is it worth it?
>>
Does anyone have any advice for what to put for this form? I'm not sure if I can just list places I'd like to visit in point form or if something like "join local {activity} to meet people" is seen as a cop out answer.
>>
File: IMG_3795.jpg (283KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3795.jpg
283KB, 800x1200px
>>1205733
>hidden gems
I really like Onomichi. It's on the way from Kyoto to Hiroshima so you can probably fit it in to your schedule pretty easily.

It's a bit weird in that it's kind of run down and smells funny, but it's one of my favourite places. The area around the main station is a labyrinth of small alleys and stairs that's just extremely enjoyable to get lost in.

Also, if you do go to Hiroshima, I would recommend Miyajima.
>>
>>1205748
Thanks, will look into both of these.

Also read the threads bit about the JR pass. As expensive as it is, it seems like it's cheaper in the long run to get it
>>
File: tubame.jpg (434KB, 1169x821px) Image search: [Google]
tubame.jpg
434KB, 1169x821px
>>1205553
Aww, I love it here! It's so quiet and peaceful, and you can watch the scenery change with the seasons. Guess I've just never been one for city life.

It wasn't so bad around here, thankfully. A few houses were damaged beyond repair - an old lady got stuck after her house collapsed, but she was rescued and not hurt. Some roads cracked, the curbs fell off, etc. Many other buildings had cosmetic damage - the community center has some cracks in the exterior walls, the glass in the top of the train station all shattered, etc. But for the most part, it wasn't very serious. Jarring, for sure.
>>
>>1205537
I traveled alone my first time in Tokyo. It was great. Could just wander as I pleased. Would do it again 10/10. There's no point waiting for a better time, who knows if that future will come, right?

Also March 11-22 for me. March seems to be a nice time for weather.

>>1205580
I'm just going to the art museum for Mucha. Went before and it was okay, but then I didn't go at night or to clubs so seedier stuff wasn't really where I was. It seems like in Toyko you need to go a bit out of your way to find any real trouble, or maybe I've just been lucky? I'm a small woman so I just tend to avoid anything that looks hinky in general when traveling.
>>
I'm going to be in Tokyo for 2 weeks, any suggestions on things I should check out? I'm okay with pretty much all food except for fish with their dead eyes looking at me. Can't stand that for some reason.
>>
>>1205764
Eat the eye first. Problem solved.
>>
>>1205765
It's just too disgusting

I can't eat food if it still has its eyes on it
>>
File: c5228a692b7c2afdedc41d4cad916bd9.png (677KB, 1037x1036px) Image search: [Google]
c5228a692b7c2afdedc41d4cad916bd9.png
677KB, 1037x1036px
>>1205600
A-Anyone?
P-Please?
>>
>>1205567
I'm interested in hearing experiences about teaching English in Japan...

English speaking American, with a bachelors degree. I'm 27 and have never traveled. I feel that teaching English might be a good way to allow me to travel to different countries.

>tl;dr teaching ESL general
>>
>>1205580
>getting this triggered
Should have stayed in akihabara you awkward fuck.
>>
>>1205795
Yeah, good luck with that.

You and arround 500 other applicants for every job will be fighting for a single job.
>>
>>1205795
I've been doing it for about half a decade and I thoroughly enjoy it, but I've wanted to do ESL for a while now. If you're not interested in the job itself and are just looking to travel (not saying that this applies to you, but it does to some other folks who look into these positions), then you probably shouldn't go forward. If you want to do a good job, then it has the potential to be a wonderful experience.
>>
>>1205800
Alright settle down there sport. Is it that competitive in every country for ESL jobs or just Japan cuz of all these losers with anime cartoon fetishes?

>>1205802
What countries have you worked in? What is your educational background? How did you get started?
>>
>>1205806
The only real condition you need to meet is to be a foreigner.
And there are tons of those arround here.
>>
>>1205808
Whose condition? Tons of foreigners where?
>>
>>1205800
you sound like a guy who has no motivation to do anything but shitpost on 4chan all day

OP, its not that competitive to get an english teaching job if you are white (or passing) and native english speaker.
>>
>>1205806
I've only worked in Japan. Have a bachelors in an unrelated field, but worked and volunteered in the educational system after graduating from college. I knew I wanted to work in Japan, so I started looking around online. First, I tried to decide between being an English teacher in a private Eikaiwa or being an ALT in public school English classes. Then, I searched for companies from there.
>>
>>1205806
Basically, you got the job already.

I don't have a bachelor. I applied for like 300 schools already and set hope that the 6 years of hometutoring expierence are worth anything.

They aren't. The only thing necessary to get a job is to have a bachelor.
Hell, you don't even need to be a native speaker. I've hear germans and french people with the worst possible type of sentences structure and pronounciation becoming full fledged ALTs.
>>
>>1205795
You should do it. It's only a 6 month or 1 year contract, which isn't a long time. Try it out and if you don't like it go home after your contract. Regardless, you'll give yourself a chance to travel and it will look nice on your resume.

If you want a better chance at the position make sure you have experience working with children or volunteering with them. Also write about how much you value education and inspiring others to learn English, improve globalization, etc. Most importantly, you must have a bachelor's degree. If you don't, you don't meet the minimum requirements. There is no getting around that or level of experience that can help you negate your way around that necessity.
>>
File: screams in agony.png (85KB, 217x277px) Image search: [Google]
screams in agony.png
85KB, 217x277px
>>1205842
>improve globalization
>>
Possibly dumb question but I don't know Japanese or where to look this stuff up. How much do you have to pay for foot fetish stuff in Japan? Also considering there's stuff like cuddling cafes, can you pay to massage or "massage" a girl's/maid's feet somewhere?
>>
File: DSC_3612.jpg (5MB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3612.jpg
5MB, 4928x3264px
i came back from japan earlier this month.i cant wait to go back at the the end of the year. this place is full of hidden gems everywhere
>>
>>1205834
>>1205842
What countries are easiest to get hired? With a BA degree, but Without any kind of certification.
>>
>>1205850
if I teach my students to reject westernization and the white devil and instead focus on reviving ancient japanese folk traditions, music, arts, philosophy, and start practising shinto to preserve their cultural heritage will I get fired?
>>
>>1205733
I had had the same time frame as you, and the same destinations. Depending on how much time you wish to spend in each city, I think the JR pass is worth it.

I spent the first 5 days in Tokyo, so I didn't bother to activate it until the day I left for Kyoto. I also made a lot of stops in between different cities, so that increased the value.

Don't make the mistake I made in Hiroshima, and end up getting confused about the trolley. The driver was very, very annoyed with me. I didn't realize that you pay a flat rate, and only when you leave. He just wanted me to get on the damn thing, but I thought I did not have enough money on me for it.
>>
>>1205733
>>1205861
Also, I hikes up behind Fushimi Inari, took the super long path, and got my goshuin there, as opposed to the main temple that was filled with tourists.
>>
>>1205860
I would hope that would make you a valued and respected filthy waito piggu gaijin, but I don't know what sort of people control that japanese education system.
>>
>>1205800
Getting an English teaching job in Japan is not so difficult. The two best starter gigs (JET and ECC) are competitive, but 500 to 1? Are you out of your fucking mind, lmao.

>>1205806
Getting a *good* job in Korea is probably a bit more competitive than Japan now (getting just ANY job in Korea is still much easier than getting a job in Japan though, I just said "good"), because while Korea scaled back public school jobs massively Japan has not. In fact, Japan is adding jobs because of the Olympics. I also think it's more difficult to get a *good* job in Taiwan than it is in Japan. Japan has some good and decent starter jobs. I've never heard of any kind of starter or job that anyone could get in Taiwan that isn't a shitty buxiban.

>>1205808
>The only real condition you need to meet is to be a foreigner.
**With a bachelor's degree and a native English speaker

>>1205834
>I've hear germans and french people with the worst possible type of sentences structure and pronounciation becoming full fledged ALTs.

From where? Very dubious. But perhaps. They might work for one of those inexcusably shitty ALT companies that have like 200k salaries kek.

Feel free to AMA. I'm an ESLfag with a very much better than average job and experience with Korea, now in Japan.
>>
How /fit/ can I get in 2 weeks?
>>
File: 1468824708321.jpg (78KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
1468824708321.jpg
78KB, 640x853px
>>1205864
What are the easiest countries to get hired in? Native English speaker, BA degree, I really don't want to get a certificate in ESL until I see whether I enjoy the job...
>>
>>1205865
no
>>
File: ss+(2017-01-22+at+07.53.37).png (5KB, 523x95px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-01-22+at+07.53.37).png
5KB, 523x95px
>>1205864
>>
>>1205864
>ama
Know any shitty ALT company that dosn't require a bachelor?
I'm broke and one month away from being homeless.
>>
>>1205865
if you have to ask that then youre a lost cause
>>
Has there been a change on what travel passes are available to internationals? I last went in November 2015, and I heard something about rail passes or something with the Shinkansen passes changing in 2016. Anybody know the details on that?
>>
My holidays are in June-July and November-February

Which is the preferred time? Obviously can't do Spring, and I dont mind the cold so winter is ok with me
>>
>>1205883
November - February. Japanese summers are hot and humid and uncomfortable. There's a reason why lower class samurai and peasants were always wearing only diapers in Kurosawa movies.
>>
>>1205884
different guy - is there a particular time in the colder months you'd say is best to go? what's the christmas (give or take a month or so) period like?
>>
>>1205865
That's way too little time for any outwardly noticeable improvement
>>
>>1205886
i went around christmas/new years

flights and accommodation will be cheaper if you go before or after the holidays
>>
>>1205886
Traveling within the country around New Years fucking sucks, don't do it
>>
>>1205888
>>1205889
how far away do you need to be from new years to avoid that? assume my prime window for travelling starts towards the beginning of december and ends towards the end of january, when would the best time to have two weeks in japan?
>>
>>1205886
I went in 2015 in late October / early November. Highs were still around 80 degrees Fahrenheit and muggy in mid-October, but it was starting to cool off and rain every couple of days by the middle of November.
>>
>>1205890
beginning of dec or maybe a week after new years
>>
>>1205887
i dont think it is, but this retard is on the wrong board
>>
>>1205724

haven't really spent time in Saitama but I studied in Kansai and in terms of culture and places of interest its a fantastic place, there's quite a few major cities and there's lots of things to do
>>
At a comic convention:
Do I have to ask before flipping through their books?
Do I have to say anything if I don't want to buy anything? Can I just smile and walk away?
Would artists generally be OK with receiving chocolate? I ended up buying too many gifts so I thought I would give some out to tables I buy from.
>>
>>1205901
they'll get fat if everyone gets them chocolate

imagine you were trying to lose some weight and then all these otakus show up and start bombarding you with chocolate, they're enabling you, it'd be just awful
>>
File: Islands.png (60KB, 1179x698px) Image search: [Google]
Islands.png
60KB, 1179x698px
Okay so have you guys island hopped Japan's Southern islands?

I'm thinking of flying (it's only £50) from Taipei to Naha, Okinawa and ferry hopping all the way up to Kyushu.

Is this doable?

I would start more south in Ishigaki but on google maps at least there is no connection so I presume I'd need to fly Ishigaki>Miyakojima>Naha and that sounds costly.

So if any of you could fill me in that'd be great.
>>
>>1205903
Japanese don't get fat, silly.
>>
>>1205907
if they eat too much katsudon they do
>>
>>1205906
Also a 2nd question while I'm at it:

I'm thinking of ditching the Rail Pass in favour of a 15,000 yen bus pass that gives me 7 days of journeys within 2 months. I can't think of a use for rail pass apart from maybe Tokyo to Hokkaido that the bus pass doesn't cover but even then I would guess flying is cheaper.

I don't have a solid plan I just know I'll be there ~90 days so a 3 week train pass seems a shitty idea considering I have to time to take things slow and the jrp has to be used consecutively?
>>
>>1205906
I think Peach has fairly cheap flights between at least Ishigaki and Naha (not sure about Miyakojima). Would definitely not skip Ishigaki though, really a great island.

As for ferry hopping to Kyushu: Not sure if there are ferries that stop along the way, I know there are some direct ones. But since you mentioned costly, keep in mind that a ferry might be up to 5-6 times as expensive as the same done flying
>>
>>1205914
Okay that's great info, If that is the case with the cost I will look at plane hopping and keep ferry rides to a minimum (but still use one or two for the novelty)
>>
>>1205864
I'm currently applying for ALT jobs, anything I can do to improve my chances?

Any good ways of finding small Eikawas that have a higher chance of hiring me? I'm aiming to stay in the Okinawa area due to more friends I know there, would it be possible to aim for it?
Are they racist? I'm not white but asian. Will they think I'm shittier in english and not hire me?

I'm a foreigner with a bachelors degree from the UK and English is my main native language, I wonder if I'll have a good chance of getting in.
>>
File: IMG_1889.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1889.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>1205752
A house collapsed?? Jesus, didn't think it was that strong considering how far Yufuin is from Kumamoto.

What do you do in Yufuin anyways? Didn't think there were many job opportunities for foreigners out there. 日本語でよく話せますか?
>>
File: 18-avril-2016[1].jpg (79KB, 870x904px) Image search: [Google]
18-avril-2016[1].jpg
79KB, 870x904px
>>1205925
Yeah, many nearby cities didn't get it so bad, but the fault line where the earthquake happened passes right through Yufuin, so it was around a 6 or so here, too.

I'm an English teacher (living the meme, I guess). If you're able to speak some Japanese, you can manage to find work in restaurants, hotels, or the like.
ほとんど日本語しかしゃべりませんw
生徒とは英語で会話するけど、先生たちや町の人々とはもちろん日本語で話しますよ。
>>
Does anyone know something about clinical studies conducted in Japan?

I just received a job offer on gaijinpot to do some clinical study.
They pay a shitton of cash, but I'm not entirely sure about it ...
>>
>>1205832
>>1205834
>>1205842
>>1205864
Is a Bachelor's Degree really all you need if you're already a foreigner and a native English speaker? So it doesn't have to be related to a Teaching degree or anything like that?

I've got a Bachelor's in Marketing, it's possible to get a teaching job with just that?
>>
How easy is it to travel by Shinkansen? Can I just show up at the station, buy a ticket and take the next train to Tokyo? Or will I have to book ahead of time? My goal is to be as flexible as possible so I'd rather avoid scheduling exactly when I have to leave a city.

Going Osaka -> Kyoto -> Tokyo -> Sendai.

>>1205754
Cool beans m80, maybe we can meet up in Tokyo then? I'm super sugoi, I swear.
>>
File: 8574d3bbf82b6e5d94ee817295d2e4af.jpg (486KB, 1415x1655px) Image search: [Google]
8574d3bbf82b6e5d94ee817295d2e4af.jpg
486KB, 1415x1655px
>>1205937
Like I said buddy, I applied for over nearly 300 jobs now and haven't received one answer.

Meanwhile most of the guys in my sharehouse, who have a bachelor, are in teaching jobs.
>>
>>1205867
>What are the easiest countries to get hired in?

Can't 100% speak to any countries other than Japan or Korea, but I would say if you want a job, any job, Korea and China are probably the easiest. Note that good jobs in Korea (ie, public school jobs) you will need to take a TEFL cert course but it can just be a shitty joke online one even.

>>1205870
Gaijinpot is a meme. Their resume submissions are inflated because you just click a button and send your pre entered resume out with one hand down your pants and Pornhub open in another tab. With Gaijinpot you just have to be fast and be one of the first to submit your resume. They won't look at all those submissions. Maybe like the first 20 or so in. JET and ECC and AEON for example, which is pertinent for most people who aren't already in Japan with a visa, hire for hundreds of openings year round. Japan jobs are not 500 to 1.

Another possibility is that this is for Interac, etc. submitted through Gaijinpot. In which case maybe all of those submissions will be considered *but there are many, many openings.*

>>1205871
I think your only option would be GABA. You don't need a bachelor's to teach for GABA. The big caveat is that you need one if you want to get a visa *sponsored by GABA*. But they will potentially accept you if you have a working holiday visa and no bachelor's. All Anglosphere countries have a WHV agreement with Japan except the US. If you're a Canadian, Aussie, Brit or New Zealander you have an option. Hope you're not American m8, good luck.
>>
>>1205941
>hope you're not america
I'm German, we're basically americas embassy in europe.

GABA you say? I will try.
>>
>>1205941
Is getting your Visa sponsored hard? It seems just about every company is looking to hire someone who's already in Japan, do I even dare to try to apply for those?

Also it seems small local Eikawas are probably my best bet into teaching, any suggestions on looking for one?
>>
>>1205921
>I'm currently applying for ALT jobs, anything I can do to improve my chances?

My best advice would be to talk some about the professional, teaching side of things in any personal statements (not just OMG I'm a Japanese major blah blah) and smile.

>Any good ways of finding small Eikawas that have a higher chance of hiring me?

Not really for those who are outside of Japan. Otherwise there's Gaijinpot.

>I'm aiming to stay in the Okinawa area due to more friends I know there, would it be possible to aim for it?

Definitely possible. You can tell anyone like AEON or ECC your preference for Okinawa. You'll probably get it if hired, provided you're willing to wait if necessary for a spot to open up before you ship out. Most people want Tokyo or Osaka, so they can probably accommodate Okinawa.

>I'm not white but asian. Will they think I'm shittier in english and not hire me?
>I'm a foreigner with a bachelors degree from the UK and English is my main native language

What do you mean by Asian? When Brits say Asian they usually mean Indian, Pakistani, etc, no? Are you that or East Asian (Chinese, etc.) East Asians are discriminated against the most, but if you are a native speaker with a degree you can get something.

>>1205937
>Is a Bachelor's Degree really all you need if you're already a foreigner and a native English speaker?

Basically yes.

>>1205942
Germany has a WHV agreement with Japan! Best of luck man.
>>
>>1205945
>best of luck
Say that to the 300 applications I've send out already
>>
>>1205945
I'm east asian sadly, does that mean I'll be discriminated against the most?
>>
>>1205944
>Is getting your Visa sponsored hard? It seems just about every company is looking to hire someone who's already in Japan, do I even dare to try to apply for those?

No, not if you get hired by a big Eikaiwa school, ALT dispatch company or the JET programme from overseas. Stop looking on GaijinPot. It is for people already in Japan with visas.

>Also it seems small local Eikawas are probably my best bet into teaching, any suggestions on looking for one?

I disagree. The BIG chain eikaiwas are probably your best bet. They hire overseas, the sponsor visas, the whole thing.

Have you not looked into ECC or AEON? How about the JET Programme. Start there. Maybe Interac, although the pay there is getting quite bad.
>>
>>1205946
Ah, you're that guy. Well sorry man. Try GABA.
>>
>>1205947
That's the meme and probably true to an extent, but I wouldn't worry about it. I knew two half Japanese Hawaiians and I'm actually friends with a full Japanese- Australian guy who is an ALT.
>>
>>1205949
I think I will try Tacobell like the clerk at HelloWork suggested ...
A german, serving mexican food from a american fast food chain in Japan

Now that's what globalisation is about
>>
>>1205951
>HelloWork
Haha nostalgic. Reminds me of last year when I was between jobs and on HelloWork NEET bux for 4 months. Good times.

So I take it you can speak decent Japanese if you were actually navigating Hellowork? If so, you could definitely get ajob at 7-11 or something?

Or try finding a foreigner bar to bartend at? Technically against WHV visas but I don't really think it's enforced.

But yeah really try GABA.
>>
>>1205954
>speak decent japanese
Ah hell no. I can do like the absolute most basic shit.
I needed a translator for my HelloWork appointment. Like specifics, when I was asked what sort teaching job I prefer and if I'm okay with it that the job dosn't pay transport costs... that wasn't covered in my language course.
The WHV dosn't really forbid working at normal bars.
It only forbids working at "THOSE" bars like in Shibuya or Roppongi.
If I remember right it says something like "Jobs that corrupt the morality of Japan are forbidden." aka. porn, prostitution and illegal stuff.
>>
>>1205958
The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs says:
<The working holiday participants are strictly prohibited from working at bars, cabarets, nightclubs, gambling establishments and other premises affecting public morals in Japan. If a participant works at such a place, he or she is deemed to violate Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act and will face deportation except where he or she is deemed to be victims of human trafficking.

This taken too literally, you would also be banned at working at any place that *improves* public morals.
>>
>>1205800
Nah. In Okinawa they are struggling to keep people. Wages are shit also.

If you're willing to sacrifice $12-16 per hour to teach teenagers that do not apply themselves to learn English in the same fashion white kids take Spanish for 6 months just to fulfill their foreign language school requirements.

For ¥5 million, you could get an investor visa and actually do something that you want/like

I never liked the mainland or Japanese society in general. Most of my friends are American/military and locals that already speak English/lived overseas.

The rest of the locals thar never left the homeland are pretty much invisible to me.
>>
File: 15113LE7-4[1].jpg (103KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
15113LE7-4[1].jpg
103KB, 500x350px
>>1205907
>>
>>1205884
I was there in the summer. It's bearable. Don't be a pussy. The best parties/clubbing were during the summer also. I'm only speaking for Okinawa, where it was hot as fuck, I took about 3-4 showers per day.

The best part of summer nights in Japan are that it's nice and hot all through to the mornings. Nights out lasted until 7am during the summer.
>>
>>1205921
There are some Indians, Nepalis, Filipinos that work in Okinawa. They're only racist towards blacks because of the military.

Okinawans are typically brown skin, only the snobs in Naha think they're mainlanders. The rest of Okinawa is great.
>>
>>1205799
Lol this. Actually Roppongi has better clubs than Shibuya. They actually play better, newer music. A lot of the legit African places are fun.

Is it possible to have a Japan thread without the Nigerians being mentioned? Probably not, because /pol/, but yeah.
>>
>>1205945
>Germany has a WHV agreement with Japan!
That feel when you're 30 already and missed the chance to go.
>>
>>1205990
Like 70% of the people traveling to Japan just do it to flee from that certain race of people.
>>
>>1205991
I'm pretty sure it's available until the last day that you're 30
>>
File: ss+(2017-01-22+at+04.04.33).png (14KB, 699x510px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-01-22+at+04.04.33).png
14KB, 699x510px
Should I do it?
>>
>>1206003
are you going to be in tokyo anyway?
>>
>>1206014
Hell, I don't know. So far I got no job and my money is running dry.
>>
>>1206016
don't see how it could hurt
>>
Guys please help I'm at a critical point in life.

I am considering taking a minor in japanese and getting a scholarship to study there. Is it a good choice ? Will I be able to get a lot of women? Is the food good?

I'm asking because I have a few other options but no matter what gonna study in asia.
>>
>>1206029
1. study something not useless, you can still study that in Japan as well

2. you will get roughly the same amount of women as at home

3. The food is very good, provided you like Japanese food
>>
>>1206032
1. I'm studying international marketing tats why I said minor in japanese.

2. Not true I know asian women have a thing for white and Hispanic guys it's gotten me a lot of pussy in other asian countries is japan some how immune? When my friends japanese girl friend visited she was all over me and feeling my stubble telling me how no asian guys had it so I figured it worked the same way I mean I barely knew her but could have stolen.

3. I'm ok with japanese food
>>
File: 6682672623_9eed5f5f15_b.jpg (397KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
6682672623_9eed5f5f15_b.jpg
397KB, 1024x683px
>>1205945
>>1205941
my life partner and I are thinking of teaching english in east asia in order to save up money while getting to travel and experience non-western culture before going back to the west for a graduate degree. korea and japan seem the best options, but I'm wondering which one would be better for saving money considering you said good jobs are easier to get in japan, but I know that korea has a much lower cost of living.

also-- does it matter that she is visibly korean (parents are 1st gen immigrants?) we both are fluent native-born english speakers (she isn't fluent in korean, but can read it) with bachelor's degrees but neither of us are ESL certified.

sorry if this comes off like a blog post, but I can never get answers in the other threads.
>>
>>1206042
Go for korea if you want esl assuming you are male I hear they are rather sexist over there and male teachers are more valued.
>>
>>1206043
we're both trying to work, not just one of us
to maximize monetary GAINS
>>
>>1206046
You can still both work but if she is not fluent in korean they make treat her badly. So might as well go where both of you are foreigners. I'd say try china if you want it ez pz lemon sqy tho.
>>
>>1206040
>>1206029
Any more answers guys? I really want to get a head start on what to study so I don't go over to that country speaking slow english at people.
>>
Where can I find a cute JC to put my penis into?
>>
Is roppongi safe during day time or is it still full of niggers?

Does anyone know of any good antique stores that deal in stuff from pre 1920s?
>>
Hello guys, I will be going to Japan this year as an exchange student. Due to the lack of other practical options, I'll probably live in a university dorm. Does anyone have some experience with dorms in Japan?
>>
I'm looking for advice on sim cards. If I'll be in Okinawa for part of the trip, should I have any concern with various carriers? Also, I have a Google pixel, should I shy away from anyone due to compatibility issues?
>>
>>1206102

Excellent question! Thinking of doing the same next year.
>>
Anyone got experience teaching ESL in Latin America?
>>
Anyone know of any good suit shops in Tokyo? Preferably one that deals in tweed and more older looks.
>>
Just got a weird idea. Hypothetically, would anyone be willing to share a fancy ass ryokan room? I want to experience that sweet nip AESTHETIC but doing it alone is expensive and possibly boring. Would be nice with some company.

I'm the anon going alone in march (~ 7th - 18th).
>>
>>1205861
Thanks, what trolley is this however?

I'd also like to scope out some weird or unique restaurants - the owl cafe and cat cafe are on my list for Tokyo, are places like the Gundam cafe worth it, and where are some good places for a maid cafe and a traditional tea ceremony?
>>
>>1206153
The price for most ryokan is per person, not per room.
>>
>>1206040
and I know white women who have a thing for Asian guys. Your experience is hardly evidence for a general trend
>>
>>1206143
For what purpose?
>>
>>1206242
What do you mean by purpose? I'm interested in hearing experiences of ESL teaching. I have BA, Native speaker, but NO cert. Japan would be neat but I don't have an anime fetish so I don't really care.

Considering trying it just for something new.
>>
File: room.jpg (278KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
room.jpg
278KB, 1600x1066px
If I want to rent an apartment for a month or more, how early/late should I start looking? Would it be pointless to look 6+ months ahead?
>>
Is there a service that doesn't charge a stupid amount of a Ghibli Museum ticket? The price is 1000 yen but JTB charges $15 and another $17 delivery fee even though they have an office in my city and I could just pick up the damn vouchers. And I don't need a rail pass for my next trip
>>
>>1206257
>JTB charges $15 and another $17 delivery fee even though they have an office in my city and I could just pick up the damn vouchers
They have a pickup option anon.
>>
Is it best to use capsule or shared room hostels?

Thinking of capsules as it does seem to give me more privacy
>>
>>1206250
im in the process of doing the same and all the places ive called so far want me to book one month ahead at the earliest. which is somewhat nerve racking
>>
>>1206042
if your girl is asian she will not be very desirable as a teacher in asia. they want foreign looking foreigners. besides, students or coworkers might look down on her for being korean but not korean-korean, ya dig?
>>
>>1206273
At this point I might just rent an AirBnB for the first month and then find somewhere longer term once I'm actually there.
>>
>>1206042
>but I know that korea has a much lower cost of living.

This is a meme to an extent. Japan does have pricier public transportation and taxis but beyond that it's kind of a wash. The cost of western foods in Korea is definitely higher, for example. You can see loaves of bread for like 12,000 won lmao.

>http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2016/12/123_200220.html

>The cost of living in Seoul is the eighth highest in the world this year, a foreign survey shows. The cost of living in Korea's capital city is even three notches higher than Tokyo, where many Koreans used to think prices were prohibitive.

>also-- does it matter that she is visibly korean (parents are 1st gen immigrants?) we both are fluent native-born english speakers (she isn't fluent in korean, but can read it) with bachelor's degrees but neither of us are ESL certified.

I wish I could say it doesn't matter at all, but it does to an extent. As biologically east asian, she will potentially have more difficulty being hired but I don't think it will be a huge problem. Also note that going over as a couple will limit your options further. Obviously they'd rather hire single people.

If saving money is your primary objective I would shoot for Korea's EPIK/GEPIK program. Also look into Japan's JET programme. Both are pretty competitive.

>>1206043
Actually this is quite false. For Korea, the only public school jobs available now are elementary school and women are preferred over men. All other things equal a single, white woman has the best shot at EPIK nowadays.
>>
first time poster on this board. just curious about how to go about getting an affordable flight to japan.

tried searching cheap flights from my city to tokyo but no dice on that.
>>
>>1206283
Depends on the season. September is generally very cheap.
>>
>>1206285
dang.

i was hoping to go during my second vacation in may.
might try to save up for it then.
>>
>>1206040
Japan is a wealthy country so most girls won't be interested. But the ones who are will be very easy to bag.
>>
What's a good way to meet people to practice speaking Japanese?

Are you typically able to just sneak into University circles without anyone knowing you're not a student? I don't like clubs or bars, so I'd rather find some kind of hobby meet-up or something.
>>
File: more cigs.gif (1014KB, 500x536px) Image search: [Google]
more cigs.gif
1014KB, 500x536px
Hey /trv/, am I on the right path?

To move to japan, this is the method I am currently taking
>working towards CS Major bachelor's degree
>will get N1 JLPT before bachelor's degree acquired
>after bachelor's degree acquired, use N1 and do post-graduate study at japanese university
>get job while in post-graduate study then switch to work visa to stay in japan

I estimate this will take: 3 years until move to japan, 4-5 years until on work visa. But this is the most financially acceptable solution, since I can recieve scholarships to carry me through my education

however, I am wondering if i could skip all this and just go straight to japanese university. is that method worth it? i think that method would look something like this
>get my associate's degree
>apply to japanese university with N3 or N2-level JLPT
>learn japanese faster because i'm actually in japan and possibly get married quicker

this is probably a bad decision because i'm eligible for less schoalrships and, since student loans don't exist in japan, i'd have to work very hard to stay in school. however, are there people that make this work? even if it seems masochistic, there might be a reason people opt for this path.

My first day of going back to college starts in exactly 12 hours, tommorow I start college and work my way towards Japan once and for all, so now's the time for me to start researching my options for eventually transferring to japanese university.
>>
>>1206301
>1206301

What is your current Japanese level?
>>
File: 1411275949275.jpg (83KB, 752x938px) Image search: [Google]
1411275949275.jpg
83KB, 752x938px
>>1206301
>possibly get married quicker
>>
File: [email protected] (449KB, 683x2727px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2017-01-21@20-53-55.png
449KB, 683x2727px
>>1206302
900 words into the core 6k deck. I'm about two months into study. I'm trying to get myself N3 ready this year. And yes, I am the biggest masochist you'll ever meet. I believe that I can pull it off.

Also, i'm actually using the japanese i'm learning. I have made friends with a 52-year old japanese man with parkinson's disease, and we became really close friends. He just sent me a present in the mail to celebrate my college entrance. That's apparantly a thing in Japan.

I'm aware that Japan has english-speaking univeristies, but I don't think such a university is fitting for me. So if you have any tips, please let me know. I need to know my options now more than ever, I literally start college tommorow so the sooner I start planning this shit, the better.
>>
>>1206247
wrong thread faggot
>>
>>1206303
all visa's in japan eventually end in marriage. i'm just accepting the inevitable.
>>
Hokkaido anon from many threads ago: If you are still here, can you tell me what sort of cell service you get up there? I am looking at what I might need for my trip.
>>
>>1206307
no u
>>
I learned Chinese in college and was planning on teaching in China or Taiwan. After seeing possible situations in China and the 20% taxes in Taiwan I am more leaning on the idea of teaching in Japan.

Do employers plan on teaching you a little Japan before going or would they give you a little lee way? I feel like Japan would be not too difficult to learn especially since I have a chinese background and some of the written words are the same (not kanji?).
>>
>>1206271
Airbnbs with flat rates or small fees for extra guests. Hostels and capsules still charge by the person
>>
File: kraken gondola.jpg (50KB, 604x536px) Image search: [Google]
kraken gondola.jpg
50KB, 604x536px
Okay guys, I need help.

I thought I could open up a paypal account with my JP Bank. Thing is, I need a credit card for that.
I don't have one.
I wanted to use paypal for easy money transfers from back home. Now I'm kinda stuck here.

My family wants to send me money for the next month of rent. I couldn't pay for it otherwise.
What can I do now?

I come from Germany, I can only make paypal accounts from Europe with my old paypal account.
What would be a good alternative here? Getting a credit card would take two or 3 weeks,
>>
>>1206271
you have to check out everyday in a capsule and you cant leave your things there
>>
how'd you guys learn to speak/read nip?
>>
>>1206345
I don't.
I've been here for a bit little over 2 weeks and haven't learned shit.
>>
>>1206211
yes but if it's a room for more than one and you only pay for one they'll stick you in there with a stranger, won't they?
>>
>>1206345
Genki textbook series, school, just look it up on youtube
>>
>>1205748
I would say it's worth it. I spent the same amount of time and saw those places with the 7 day pass. You don't need the pass in Tokyo. I spent my first day out of Tokyo in Hakone, would recommend after being in the city for 4 days.
>>
>>1206345
>>>/jp/djt
>>>/int/djt
>>
>>1206369
What does Donald J. Trump have to do with anything?
>>
>>1206371
(You)
>>
Can anybody living in Japan confirm the existence of the deadly anime cold?
>>
>>1206358
What? No. Are you sure you're looking at a ryokan and not a hostel or something?
>>
>>1206384
It exists, or people at least believe it does. I'm convinced it's psychological, though.
>>
Sorry if this info was in the sticky, if it is just disregard this post.

Out of personal experience, I'm planning on going on a 3-4 month vacation with about 3-4000 usd saved.

Is japan a worthwhile place to visit, or are other countries better when it comes to affordability or experience?
How much of the language do I need to learn so that I'm not being rude, just using a translator to speak?
Can I have a decent, relaxing vacation on 3000 usd?
>>
>>1206406
Yes, for 2 weeks.
Fuck off with the language question, read the previous thread, you lazy piece of shit
>>
>>1206406
What expenses do you have covered so far? Is your flight covered? How about your lodging?

If it's just pocket money for 3 months then you're golden. If it's lodging and pocket money then that could get very rough. If you haven't even got the price yet then you're pretty fucked on $3000 for 3 months. Other countries are far, far more affordable than Japan.
>>
>>1206406
It is doable but in South-East Asia you could live 2 or 3 times longer than in Japan. I'm going to Japan with about 5000 dollars for 80 days.
>>
File: 1482547793409.jpg (176KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1482547793409.jpg
176KB, 1632x1224px
> tfw haven't showered 2 days since I got back from my 2 weeks in Japan

I want to keep the pheromones i've gathered in Japan with me bros
>>
>>1205937
Yes. All you need is the degree and native speaking status. It helps to be friendly and approachable too. I have skills and experience, but I swear they just hired me so the students can stare at my foreignness.
>>
>>1206299
meetups.com
>>1206340
you do have an advantage since you are used to seeing Kanji and can read one of the readings, but it's still not going to be a breeze to just learn Japanese. Unlike in Chinese, each Kanji usually has different readings (Kun and On-yomi), depending on what word they are used in.
>>1206342
Western Union money wire or something.
>>
>>1206342
the same happened to me a few months ago. travel agencies usually have some kind of money transfer service, the one I used was kyoudai remittance or something like that.

ask your parents to check the nearest travel agency to see which service they have, plus they will probably have a list of places in Japan in which you can retrieve the money.

the service fee for kyoudai remittance was not high, just like 20bucks or something like that, they will give a number to your parents and then you just use that number and your residence card in order to get the money in Japan
>>
>>1206102
What school?
>>
>>1206299
Bars/clubs are the easiest way to meet people for an actual even language exchange if you go through a language exchange meetup event.

Theres quite a few places that will hold mixers, often with all you can drink where you go and just talk to people. Occasionally a club will abuse it and just play loud music the entire time and treat it as a way of getting people in the door before the typical crowd comes, but most of the time the floor is just cleared out or its a large venue with light music on in the background

There are smaller meetups that are more serious like at a cafe or such, especially if you go for an older crowd, but I've found those tend to attract people that are much more serious about improving their English and they will try and force the conversation into English to the detriment of your ability to learn Japanese. Where as with others so long as you're leading in Japanese they'll fall back on their Japanese far more often.
>>
I'm planning my second trip for spring (first time was in the fall), should i aim for early april for the chery blossoms, or mid-may to dodge golden week, and cheaper accomodation? I don't necessarily mind paying extra, but i'm not sure whether the cherry blossoms are worth it.
>>
>>1206416
I have airfare covered, should I just save more more for lodging then?
>>
>>1206293
Yea so Gaijin hunters? How often do you see this?
>>1206231
You are telling me you never got the foreigner treatment? It was super common for me with chinese and korean girls. I'd say about as common as guys who liked asian girls. And too my understanding japanese guys are quite beta and in china this left a lot of boy hungry girls foreigner or not.
And on another side what about foreigner girls that come to teach?
In china they where easy to fuck and party with since they usually get passed up for asian girls.

Maybe I'm just more charismatic when I travel but I always felt it was easier to meet more people rather than my social pool at work and school and get laid.
>>
Planning a little mini trip to the Hokkaido region in early December. Taking the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hokkaido. Since it's about 8-9 hours of travel I was wondering if there is any cool spots along the way to visit. Might make a day out of something if it's worthwhile...not in a rush to get to my destination.
>>
File: Ishigaki.jpg (321KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Ishigaki.jpg
321KB, 1024x683px
My plan so far is Hong Kong > Taiwan > Ishigaki > Okinawa

Are there any islands between Okinawa and Kyushu that are a must see/worth the visit? I've looked at the price to island hop the rest of the way to Kagoshima after flying from Ishigaki to Naha and it doesn't look all that bad in price.

But if the islands north of Okinawa are particularly dull I might just fly straight to Fukuoka.

My flight to Hong Kong is at the start of march and I'm guessing I'll be in Ishigaki by April unless I really like Taiwan and stay longer.
>>
File: stop monkeying around.gif (2MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
stop monkeying around.gif
2MB, 356x200px
>>1206304
>I'm aware that Japan has english-speaking universities, but I don't think such a university is fitting for me
Your kimono is showing, Ken-sama

Two months of anki and talking to one old guy will not be enough to prepare you for being completely on your own at a Japanese-only university. You will get no special treatment for not being Japanese, you will be expected to operate on the same level as someone completely fluent in Japanese (which you won't) and you will meltdown when you can't understand why no-one's patting you on the head for being a brave lil gaijin.

Stick to college, get a bachelors there and if you still like Japan after you've come out the other side, then and only then should you go study at a Japanese-only university. I'm guessing you're probably 18-21, so why rush into something that you have no experience of and could drastically go wrong?
>>
what happens if you pop a baby in someone in japan?
>>
Nagoya or Hiroshima?
Nagoya seems pretty boring.
>>
>>1206427
>Keeping plane aids on your body willingly
Please, if you're not a neet, shower before you get somebody sick.
>>
So Im visiting a Tokyo and a few other places soon on vacation.

How hard is it for a Canadian white male like me to get a good Japanese escort for a night? Seems like those websites do all the hard work for me and I just have to call?

Any experiences? thanks.
>>
>>1206496
Yeah, or reduce time. Consider this: the cheapest hotels go for $50/night, which comes to $1500 a month right off the top. That wont work so you'll have to stay in hostels most of the time, which is $20/night (minimum) thus $600 a month. So if you stay 3 months then you have $400 per month, or $100 a week. This is doable but it's rough. Factor in transportation (especially assuming you're not spending the entire time in Tokyo) and that number drops significantly each city you stay in.

Personally I'd take somewhere between one and 2 months instead of going all in at 3 months.
>>
>>1206608
Ok, I plan on going to Tokyo (and maybe two smaller cities for about a week each).

Other than going to the smaller cities by train, I planning on doing a lot of walking.
Thanks for helping me.
>>
>>1206611
No problem. As far as the smaller cities go, give consideration to buses. They're comfy and a fair bit cheaper (granted Japanese trains are truly something else.)

Is there any reason you want to limit your stay to 3 months in Tokyo?
>>
>>1206603
>How hard is it for a Canadian white male like me to get a good Japanese escort for a night?

How much money do you have. There you go, that's pretty much always the bottom line with escorts
>>
>>1206457
Osaka University.
>>
>>1206556
i'm actually 25

i should have been in japan years ago. but i'm at least glad that i've been able to adapt certain mindsets that will prevent me from making huge mistakes in the future when i do end up going
>>
>>1206699
Boy are you in for disappointment
>>
>>1206573
Hiroshima definitely. Nagoya is known for being the most boring of the large Japanese cities. Hiroshima has Hondori Street, Miyajima, The bomb museum if you want to be depressed, Hiroshima okonomiyaki and really hype baseball.
>>
>>1206611
You can try working at hostels too and depending on the chain they can give you free or reduced priced lodging but it will be even more dormy than the regular hostel.
>>
File: [sweating intensifies].gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
[sweating intensifies].gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>1206706
right now i'm just looking at donald trump's japan shenanigans and sweating my ass off

japan's angry at shit for america over cancelling the TPP and trump just threatened the japanese security treaty

my president's going to single handedly destroy american immigration to japan in the next 3 years. waiting until I get my bachelor's degree to start moving to japan might -not- be a wise decision in this political climate anymore
>>
>>1206678
I was mostly worried about language barrier etc.
>>
>>1206003
Almost certainly gender-swapping drugs, tentacle testing, or mech target practice.
>>
>>1206709
>trump just threatened the japanese security treaty

He's been doing that for over a year. Nothing will change on that front m8.
>>
>>1206304
How do you get all of those delicious stats? My Anki only displays the Forecast...
>>
>>1206714
>nothing will change on that front m8

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003473840

you were saying? this is what's causing me to consider hitting the panic button
>>
>>1206710
You'll be restricted to low to mid-tier sex activities if they don't think you'll understand what the girl is saying, especially if she is saying no. Sometimes you can go higher but you'll be paying a lot more than a national
>>
>>1206526
Fox village in some town that starts with an M. Miyagi or something.
>>
>>1206709
>>1206718
Are you actually Davido-kun?
>>
>>1206710
learn some basic japanese, the rest will depend how /fit/ you are
>>
>>1206526
>>1206721
Seconding Fox Village, the closest stop on the Shinkansen is Sendai which is a pretty cool city in its own right.
>>
>>1206721
>>1206743
Don't go to fox village, its pretty shit and the foxes look like they're low key dying. Smells like piss and they're all enclosed in a small area.

Try geibikei gorge (with the dango delivery), Shimogo, Yamadera, Morioka, Aquamarine hiroshima was pretty cool as well.
>>
>>1206678
It's a little more complicated than that since almost every agency requires you to call from a Japanese number (can't even use VOIP since the prefix is different and they can tell)
>>
>>1206631
I was planning on the 3 months in Tokyo just to be able to leisurely see all there is to see, without rushing to do anything I want to do in the last week, maybe 2 months in Tokyo even so that I can take one to go to smaller cities.

I'd rather slowly enjoy my vacation with no rush instead of getting as much done in 2 weeks as I can.

Is 3 months enough to leisurely experience the food, people, and culture, or would you reccomend I save to extend my stay so that I can extend my visit.

>>1206708
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, would it be a good idea to go for the free/cheaper lodging in order to extend my stay?

And I do plan on maybe visiting a tourist trap, and if some things that I've heard were true.
>>
File: Japan-2013-676_web-lrg.jpg (376KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Japan-2013-676_web-lrg.jpg
376KB, 1024x683px
Hey guys, what are some festivals in Japan between the 2nd and 13th of July?
>>
I can highly recommend WWOOF'ing in Japan. The countryside is so fucking beautiful.

Pic related, the view from the guest house at the farm I'm staying at right now.
>>
Are there station lockers in Tokyo that will let you leave stuff there for an extended time? I'm flying in and out of Tokyo but want to go down to Osaka for a bit but don't want to haul along all the stuff I'm going to buy in Tokyo.
>>
>>1206777
There should be some at the airport where you can leave your stuff up to a week. Probably the same at train stations but not quite sure
>>
>>1206738
Prostitutes care about how fit someone is?
>>
>>1206775
What kind of work do you do? I'm somewhat interested in it but I don't have much experience with manual labour so I'm worried I'll just be shit and useless.
>>
>>1205688
Sure. Apart from the shrine island being quite cool, there's a whole old-style tourist town right at the entrance to the island. It's surprisingly nice, since not a lot of (foreign) tourists finds their way there, and I had a pleasant day there, drinking tea in traditional style tea houses, eating dango etc.
>>
>>1205750
Yeah the pass is nice, especially because it enables you to just go wherever without thinking about the cost. And it generally pays of on the tokyo -> hiroshima-and-back trip
>>
Anyone with working holiday experience? I'm Tokyo bound soon and I'm looking at my options at the moment. No degree.
>>
>>1206814
If they are even a little bit iffy about your language ability, yes how much of a weirdo/how ugly you are does start coming into play. They stay employed just fine
>>
Anyone ever use this to get a cheaper shinkansen?

http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/

It looks like I just get this at the train station a couple days before I want to go?
>>
Anyone who lives in japan in the thread atm?
How much would a cheap futon cost? 100$ or more?
>>
What is the best time of the day to arive in a country and what is the worst? Currently looking at a cheap flight where I would arirve at 3pm.
>>
>>1206969
Times aren't a problem as much as origin flight. From all my US flights my time through customs was quick and easy. The only time I flew with a Chinese based one it was almost two hours of a big stupid line because everyone on board needed to go through there
>>
>>1206777
Sagawa express has a few baggage storage centers in Tokyo that will store stuff for up to 5 days, though longer might also be negotiable.
http://www.sagawa-exp.co.jp/ttk/english/service/tenimotsu.html

Apparently JR East also runs a luggage storage at its Travel Service Center in Tokyo Station.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/customer_support/service_center_tokyo.html

The airports also have baggage storage counters.
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/bf/service/info08.html#room
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/premises/service/delivery.html#temporary

And you can also send your baggage through Takkyubin by Yamato Kuroneko from most Conbinis and Hotels to an airport or hotel. You can choose to extend the delivery date for up to a week.
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
>>
>>1206384
What? Please elaborate.
>>
I'm going to be booking accommodations (probably AirBnB) for my 2 week trip soon. What is the best area of Tokyo to stay in if my friend and I want to go out drinking at night a couple of the nights? I've heard Roppongi is good for foreigners to visit, but isn't there also lots of stuff in Shibuya? Or Shinjuku?
>>
What's the name of the religious building opposite the Miyajima shrine torii? I've heard there's a lot of controversy surrounding it but I'm having a hell of a time finding a name or even a photo of the building.
>>
Is getting the shinkansen from Sapporo to Tokyo worthwhile? I kind of want to put my jr pass to good use, but i also want to save time getting a plane
>>
>>1207034
How much is the plane ride? Do you have money to burn? It's definitely a long ass train ride, so maybe your time is worth the extra money. It's also a nice train ride so if watching scenery is your thing maybe you'll want to take it
>>
>>1207038
It's £40. I do like watching the scenery though. Tough decision..
>>
>>1207047
I mean, it's like a 9 hour train ride non-stop. If you don't want to spend that long on the train, I'd say buy the plane ticket. Or stop somewhere on the way to break it up if you have the time.
>>
>>1207027
Did you try looking on Google maps?

Or, if you're talking about a specific building of the shrine itself, they have a website:
http://www.en.itsukushimajinja.jp/route.html
>>
File: syu1.jpg (43KB, 550x452px) Image search: [Google]
syu1.jpg
43KB, 550x452px
>>1207065
This building.
>>
>>1205802
>>1205808
>>1205864
How the hell am I supposed to be a good teacher if I can't speak Japanese? That's my biggest trepidation about applying, otherwise I seem to tick off their two requirements (degree and native English speaker)
>>
>>1206775
My brother wants to WWOOF in Japan this year with a friend. I am a little worried about how labor-intensive the work will be and if he can handle it for 3 months.

I myself may WWOOF if the work is almost entirely indoors like at a hotel or restaurant.

How much money should someone keep on hand during their trip considering their room and board is supposed to be paid for?
>>
>>1207070
They don't want you to speaky Nippy if you are an English teacher. You will be an converstaion "aide" adjuct to a real Japanese teacher and your only job is to squawk like a big foreign bird and make English seem fun for the kids, and also make the parents think the school is legit for having a true and honest howait piggu teacher.
>>
>>1207077
What if I'm a dirty Asian and not white?
>>
>>1207093
They wont want you. Not joking don't even bother applying if you aren't white.
>>
>>1207066
Apparently it's the Umi-Mori Art Museum.
Next time just google the fucking image yourself.
>>
>>1207077
t. Ryan Boundless
>>
>>1207118
lol'd
>>
>>1207094
More like don't apply if you are any kind of Asian. Black, white and sorta white looking latino will be fine.
>>
>>1207131
Kill me now, how do I make my anime dream come true then?
>>
>>1207136
Check gaijin pot for other jobs?
>>
>>1205901
Just nicely gesture towards what you want to read, they want people to check them out after all.
If you don't want to buy it, just say Arigatou and walk away.
Not that hard, just don't be an autist.
Giving them food and shit would be a little weird tho
>>
>>1207131
Really?

I'm trying right now for the job.
>>
>>1207168
It really depends on the agency. Schools will probably be okay with whatever as long as you're a native english speakers. But private tutor companies seem to prefer super foreign looking people because their students are paying for 1-on-1 lessons and want the "authentic experience"
>>
Where are the femdom maid cafes?
>>
>>1207070
You're going to start studying how to read and write once you get the position. In class, you're going to listen very carefully to the students and gauge how much you understand. In class you'll be using primarily English, but I use both in the classroom if they're struggling. If the Japanese teacher you're with is good you don't have to worry about that, but all of mine are pretty useless so it falls onto me. That was an unfortunate surprise, but I'm an adult and I realize any job is going to have difficult moments that you need to work through.

Outside of the classroom you'll be learning phrases to eat, do your taxes, renew your visa, and get around town alone. It's do-able, but you need to get started and try. When I found out I was hired, I studied during my 30 minute lunch breaks, then practiced in my head during work (previous job). It helped soften the blow a little and now I realize I can actually speak some and hold conversations.
>>
>>1206955
Depends on the size, but you can get a decent single futon for about 10,000 yen.
>>
>>1207136
>>1207168
Why would you believe that guy's bullshit for even a second?
>>
>>1207205
Yeah, I have tons of nisei/sansei friends who are doing JET right now. It doesn't matter.
>>
>>1207070
A lot of places want to go full immersion with their teaching with as little JApanese as possible. It's pretty dumb though I remember a friend frustrated that she wanted to explain that 's is just the の particle to her students but that wasn't allowed.
>>
>>1206559
She'll get a ridiculous amount of benefits from the government .
>>
>>1207283
Anyone know anything about taking your wife to Japan when she's super pregnant to get that sweet sweet double citizenship? Or does Japan not recognize that?

As a broader question, if you were an American and you wanted your baby to have the most useful dual citizenship, where would you have your baby born to cash in on it? Would have to be a country that recognizes dual citizenship, and which considers a child born to two non-citizens on its soil to be a citizen. Germany is my guess.
>>
So I'm planning on going to Japan for either 2 or 3 weeks in august. I speak a little Japanese now, but should be better in summer - I'm attending Japanese classes in university.
I thought of just flying in to Tokyo and then going wherever, no planning beforehand. Is that a terrible idea? I'd be fine with even sleeping in manga kissas - I just want to go on an adventure.
Also, while I'd like to see the country, the rail pass thing with the whole "go there this day THEN IMMEDIATELY HURRY OVER TO THE NEXT PLACE" stuff is not appealing to me. Is it possible to hitchhike in Japan maybe? I'm still money-conscious, so if it wasn't an option I'd probably get a 7-day Railpass to go to places I want to see.

For my time in Tokyo, I'm trying to bribe some couchsurf guys into letting me stay at their place in exchange for glorious swiss chocolate and cooking : ^)
>>
>>1207289
>August
>prime Obon season
>no planning whatsoever

That means no hotels, no trains, no buses, probably no manga kissas.
>>
>>1207290
I'm flexible +- one month. It looks like Obon is around August 13-15? How long does the 'aftermath' last? Is it fine on the 18th? The 25th?
>>
>>1207286
Japan doesn't recognise dual citizenship. They make you choose when you're an adult.
>>
>>1207286
The best country to have dual citizenship is Switzerland - but you don't get it just for being plopped out there.
Neither do you in Germany by the way. You need to grow up there, and after having attended school there apply for a German passport. And that usually requires you to drop your other citizenship, unless it's one that's practically impossible to lose like the Swiss one.
If you 'let go' of your Swiss citizenship once you've got it, you can just come back any time and regain it. Once you're Swiss, you're Swiss for life unless you betray the country.
>>
>>1207202
Thanks senpai.
>>
I've got a kinda strange question for those teaching in Japanese high schools:

If the school has a sports team (more specifically, basketball), is the trainer/coach one of the teachers or is it an actual trainer/coach? I understand that this depends on the school, but what are your experiences?
I really want to teach English in Japan, but I also want to continue being involved with basketball.
>>
What's the lunch menu like at kaiseki restaurants? Is lunch seating similarly booked up months in advance like dinners are at many places?
>>
How easy to find is milk and/or milk products in Japan?
>>
>>1207406
As easy as the US. Milk is in every market.
>>
Anyone have any experience with tobita shinchi?
What's the average price for a gaijin?
Anything I should know that you can share?
>>
File: panic.gif (425KB, 268x270px) Image search: [Google]
panic.gif
425KB, 268x270px
YOU ASSHOLES TOLD ME EVERYTHING WOULD BE OKAY AND THAT I WAS OVERREACTING

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337741

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

TRUMP AXING JAPANESE RELATIONS IS A SERIOUS POSSIBILITY NOW ISN'T IT?
>>
>>1207438
>neogaf

also it's not the trump administration that introduced the idea of leaving the UN, it was some lower house member outside of his field so chances are pretty low that it will go through
>>
>>1207439
if you read the link, Trump is halting the funding for almost all united nations activities

This, in combination with the bill, means our mission to Japan is going to become extremely limited.

I'm trying my best to see these actions not from my view as an american, but i'm trying to see this action from the perspective of Japan and the japanese. This can't be good for our relations.
>>
>>1207406
Im fairly convinced that lactose intolerance map of the world is 100% made up.

Japanese drink less straight up milk. I talked to a guy working at General Mills who had been promoted for getting people in Central and South America to eat more cereal and was saying that was one of the main issues facing him as they tried to expand in Japan.

However they definitely consume more dairy products. Older women have Yakult delivered to them, yogurt has a ridiculous number of brands and types with the actual yogurt culture strains being labeled on them as a promotion technique. Those actual yogurts all have a similar branded yogurt drink as well. Cheese is coveted but its far more expensive in Japan, so people eat it just in much smaller quantities
>>
1 hour transfer in Frankfurt, same terminal. doable? friend already ordered tickets.
>>
>>1207456
Clearing customs as your first port of call in Grrious Yurop? You are likely fucked. "Domestic flight?" You are likely fine.
>>
>>1207457
>Domestic flight?
Amsterdam to Frankfurt, then to Haneda
>>
>>1207458
Should be okay but why the hell do you even transfer? KLM flies AMS - HND/NRT
>>
>>1207463
It was cheaper. thats the main reason.
>>
File: 517591_1[1].jpg (207KB, 1260x1260px) Image search: [Google]
517591_1[1].jpg
207KB, 1260x1260px
Spent a couple weeks in Japan last fall. Couldn't help but notice the lack of police presence compared to cities in the US, especially NYC.

Many of the cops I saw were either these women (not the sometimes dyke-y kind that become cops in the US) or old men.

They also sit in cute little police boxes that have cartoony wanted posters plastered everywhere.
>>
Do any of you guys know if there is much of a difference between surume and kawatsuki sakiika?
>>
If shit ever hits the fan and I lose everything in life, I want to move to like... the middle of Hokkaido and just have a farm I run there.

How possible is this goal?
>>
>>1207480
were you expecting police?
even the police that are there do nothing.
>>
>>1207289
What university?
>>
>>1207490
Totally possible if you invest half a million dollars in a farming start up

Or you teach English and switch jobs to working for a farmer who is willing to sponsor you
>>
>>1207026
>Roppongi
just google search it dummy, many funny threads
>>
>>1207575
Roppongi is great if you aren't an autist that is afraid of black people talking to you.
>>
>>1207467
For 100 euro you went to the trouble with a transfer?

I fly to tokyo every 2 months with KLM and I just take the 590euro direct flight. Much easier and relaxed.
>>
>>1207580
about 200, but yes. we'd like to keep as much money as possible for the trip itself.
>>
>>1207403
bump
>>
>>1207403
It can be a teacher who advises/coaches sports clubs in the school

Source: Anime (I don't actually know for sure)
>>
>>1207026
>>1207577
Literally this. Roppongi is littered with foreigners, so it can be a little off-putting. It makes it look like any random American city with an increase in Asians.

But it's got a great nightlife, and there's lots of young Japanese girls in groups going from bar to bar and club to club, almost every night. Just as long as you aren't a fucking pussy and can handle the tall black guys trying to get you into their shitty 5th floor club, then you'll be fine.

Oh, and if you happen to come across this white guy who tries to get you into his strip club near the Hard Rock Cafe, DON'T FUCKING LISTEN TO HIM. You have to buy a drink, and it's $30 per drink. As soon as you're done with it, you either buy another one or get kicked out.
>>
Stay in Kyoto and day trip to Osaka or vice versa? What would you do?
>>
>>1207614
Kyoto and Osaka as a day trip
>>
>>1207614
I prefer Kyoto to Osaka
>>
anyone got experience with WWOOF?

It seems like a cheap way to get room and board since I'm already used to doing heavy farm work.
>>
>>1206342
wire money from bank to bank.
know your bank account, swift code and good to go.
>>
>>1207614
>>1207618
>>1207622
Another anon here.
It's not the first time I see this question. Is it just not worth it to stay in both?
>>
>>1207614
Depends on how much you are willing to spend.
But general rule here is that Osaka is cheaper than Kyoto in almost everything.
>>
>>1207643
well . . . they are only 30 to 40 minutes away from each other if you take the JR express train.
>>
>>1207406

Dairy products are very popular and very good in Hokkaido region, other regions not so much.
>>
>>1207648
I'm not really used to day trips.
I was planning on staying in kyoto, going west, and then stay in Osaka on my way back to Tokyo.

There seem to be stuff to do in both cities, does it sounds like a waste of time?
>>
>>1207570
Sometimes I wish I had studied agriculture so I could start growing wine or distilling eau de vie somewhere in a remote Japanese mountain or island village.
>>
>>1206529
Interested in this as well
>>
File: Kuro Burger (Burger King) 1.jpg (44KB, 644x483px) Image search: [Google]
Kuro Burger (Burger King) 1.jpg
44KB, 644x483px
Does Burger King still sell these kuro burgers? Or was it a limited time thing?
>>
File: horrors.jpg (75KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
horrors.jpg
75KB, 407x405px
>>1207745
>>
File: IMG_4694.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4694.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>1207745
Limited but came back once. Even if it comes back, ignore. It's shit and a wasted meal. Same goes for the red one.
>>
File: 1472247120275.png (189KB, 294x282px) Image search: [Google]
1472247120275.png
189KB, 294x282px
>>1207756
Well damn, that's disappointing.
>>
>>1207757
You're not missing out, even a fucking 100yen konbini pan beats it. And for the same price, you can eat in Coco or tendon tenya, both are infinitely better.
>>
Does Japan have an app like JustEat where you can enter a postcode and it gives you all the local restaurants you can order from?
>>
>>1206301
>900 words in
>I will pass N1

You haven't even scratched the surface retard
>>
>>1207745
>>1207756
That is weird as fuck. Even the cheese is black.

How the fuck do they do that?
>>
Has anyone here ever used a google pixel (us version) in japan? What carrier did you use and how well did it work?
>>
>doesn't allow people to talk on phones in trains
>allows trucks with loud as fuck megaphones to drive through the city all day
>>
>>1207776
I'm using a Nexus 5x on google fi here and it works great so I'd assume a pixel would work just as well.
>>
is 1,500 a day too unrealistic for accommodation? hostels and airbnb are almost all over 2,000, aren't there cheaper options?
>>
>>1207772
Charcoal or squid ink -- or just food coloring.

The very campy "Ninja Restaurant" in Tokyo offers some black crackers made with charcoal dust.
>>
>>1207787
Where the fuck are you staying that costs $1500 a day?
>>
File: 1353629756837.jpg (29KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1353629756837.jpg
29KB, 240x320px
>>1207801
>$1500
nice
>>
>>1207805
What?
>>
>>1207810
Are you mentally impaired friendo?
>>
>>1207810
Pretty sure they meant 1500 yen
>>
>>1207814
You said 1,500. Is it not reasonable to assume that you mean $1500?

This is after all a website used mostly by Americans.

You should specify what currency you're referring to next time faggot.

And 2,000 yen a day is fucking nothing you poor piece of shit. If you can't afford ~$20 a day for an AirBnB then you shouldn't be travelling.

>>1207815
He should have specified that then.
>>
File: 1330185549303.jpg (101KB, 802x601px) Image search: [Google]
1330185549303.jpg
101KB, 802x601px
>>1207817
Or you could try using common sense you absolute mongoloid.
>>
new thread >>1207819
>>
>>1207817
Yes it is unreasonable when he immediately follows up with "hostels and airbnb are almost all over 2,000". It's called context. You're just starting shit for no reason.

>>1207787
You aint getting cheaper unless you want to sleep outside.
>>
>>1207818
Fuck off. Don't be such a lazy piece of shit, and add JPY/Yen next to the numbers next time faggot. And stop being so poor. 2,000 Yen is pocket change for normal people.
>>
>>1207823
>normal people
Judging from your posts I don't think you're one of those. Go back to /b/.
>>
>>1207786
Just to be sure you have the USA 5x model?
>>
>>1207643
>>1207650

I think Kyoto has more cultural museums and sites to see during the day, but Osaka is better at night. I'm not familiar with Kyoto's nightlife though. I've never worried about missing my last train when I visit Kyoto, but there have been several times I ran to catch my last train from Osaka or just ended up reserving a capsule hotel for the night.
>>
>>1207844
Yes
>>
>>1207759
maishoku
>>
File: thinking with reggie.png (117KB, 449x141px) Image search: [Google]
thinking with reggie.png
117KB, 449x141px
>>1207438
>>1206709

How does /trv/ feel about trump anyways? I was presuming because of 4chan there would always be a pro-trump majority on every board, but I guess American /trv/ellers must be pretty pissed off considering how he's fucking up international relations
>>
>>1207955
I have dual-citizenship with an EU country, so I'm not screwed unless shit really hits the fan.
>>
>>1207943
Aritgatou tomodachi, seems to only be for Tokyo though? I'm in Osaka, do you know if there's a Kansai alternative?
>>
>>1207955
This is /trv/ not /pol/
Get the fuck out of this thread with this shit
>>
>>1207955
>How does /trv/ feel about trump anyways?
Fuck drumpf. Take your post elsewhere.
>>
>>1205934
Depends on the study. You could just have to lay down on a fMRI machine bed while they play music through your earphones, or you could have to take some experimental drug that accidentally makes your blood clot up and kills you.

If they're paying a lot, it's more likely to be the latter end of the scale.
>>
>>1206340
>the 20% taxes in Taiwan

You don't understand the tax system in Taiwan. That is only if you stay for less than six months. If you stay more than 183 days in any calendar year, your taxes drop down to the normal rate.

I earn triple what ESL scum do, and I pay 12%. ESL scum probably pay around 9% total after deductions, assuming they don't get deported less than halfway through their contracts for being dumbfucks.
>>
>>1206342
Bitcoin. Check le Reddit for where to get an exchange, I don't know what the current companies are.
>>
>>1206603
milkybaby.jp

>>1205971
>For ¥5 million, you could get an investor visa
Do you just have to show that much money, or do you have to create a company and use that money for operations, or do you have to hand that money over to an existing company that you have no control over?
>>
>>1207444
>lactose intolerance
>yogurt
>cheese

The bacteria used to culture yogurt and cheese devour the lactose.

Long-aged cheese has roughly zero lactose in it. If you eat a thoroughly-aged cheddar and feel little crystals crunching, those are lactic acid crystals left over from the breakdown of lactose.

Fresh cheeses like mozz still have lactose in them.
>>
>>1207955
The God-Emperor will return the U.S. to greatness.
>>
Who here actually /N1/?
>>
File: end rhymes.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
end rhymes.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>1207977
>>1208058
>>1208387
>>1208432

1 in 4. Better than most other boards. I knew I could trust you guys <3
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.