[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Air Travel/ General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 3563406.jpg (99KB, 1320x742px) Image search: [Google]
3563406.jpg
99KB, 1320x742px
When people say they went to the airline desk (the desk passed security usually) and got them to switch their flight from 1 stop to nonstop or on an earlier flight, is this something the airline customer service person usually does for free? Or are these people paying hundreds of dollars in fees to make those itinerary changes?

I would have assumed it costs a lot of money to do that, but I hear about people doing it so often it would be weird if they were actually shelling out $200 to get on a flight 1.5 hours earlier or something.
>>
My online flight itinerary on my airline's website says that I have 20kg of baggage available. The same website in another place that's not the itinerary, the place where you buy additional baggage says that I have 0 kg.
Which one is more credible? Is it normal for cheap airlines to give you check-in baggage when you order through a 3rd party website?

I know that I can just ask my airline, which I did, but they're not responding yet via email. This is my first time flying and I don't know what to do.
>>
>>1205430
Using a desk person is free. They are called "gate agents" and their salary is paid by the airline. You weren't clear if you were wondering about that too. Though bargain airlines might charge you higher fees if you use them versus online booking, such as when you wish to check a bag last minute versus at the curb or prepaying for it online. So, I guess it can be confusing.

There is some prerogative they can give to not charge higher fares if you wish to go on an earlier flight and there are seats, so then they might not charge you for the change. When it's their fault like a delay or cancellation, they might rebook you for free to something different if it eases their load. If they give out too much free stuff they could get in trouble, a type of employee shrinkage, so it's not just your charm that makes things happen or not, but be assured a rude person gets less favor. But for the most part people who make frequent changes without paying fees are actually people who are frequent flyer tier and actually don't pay what coach passengers have to pay for changes, if at all. Loyalty among frequent fliers is highest customer service reasons. When they do their little changes inside the Lounge, you can be assured it's top tier too with their most congenial "yes sir" employee. If you change from one fare code to another, they could charge you a difference in the fare, yes. There is NO charge for asking whatever you want, however. As they say, it doesn't hurt to ask. You should have a frequent flier number attached to your ticket, I'm just saying.
>>
>>1206036
I always see the baggage element as part of the check-in process which happens with the airline website. So, in other words, you are not done paying until check-in, when you decide how many bags you'll be having, or if you require an assigned seat, want some items for speedy TSA or priority boarding, etc.
>>
>book flights on expedia
>everything fine, but hours later get email saying one of my flights was cancelled
>check the airline and flight is still up on their website
>check expedia again and the flight is not cancelled any longer
>call airline to confirm flight and they say it's still booked

Are these random and "accidental" temporary cancellations normal? Has anyone had something like this happening to them? I'm hesitating to contact Expedia in case they think I'm complaining and I don't want them to cancel my flight which is apparently perfectly fine, yet being in the unknown is kind of worrying me.
>>
Is it better to book as few connecting flights as possible and pay more, or juts take as many as possible to save hundreds of dollars? I'm worried that the more connecting flights I do, the higher chance of my luggage being lost and longer times dealing with layovers.
>>
>>1206565
>Are these random and "accidental" temporary cancellations normal?

It does happen, even with google flights. Many OTAs get their delay/cancel info from third parties. Always check and trust airline for delays/cancellations and nobody else.

>Is it better to book as few connecting flights as possible and pay more, or juts take as many as possible to save hundreds of dollars?

Depends on how much you're willimg to pay and how long you're willing to deal with being stuck on a plane.

>I'm worried that the more connecting flights I do, the higher chance of my luggage being lost and longer times dealing with layovers.

If all the flights are on one ticket itinerary you should be fine, but it does increase risk of damage/loss.
>>
>>1206648
I was looking into going to Japan for a short vacation later this year, but the cheapest I can find roundtrip+hotel right now is:
>my city>ATL>Seoul>Tokyo (last 2 through Korean Air) for $1600
or else
>my city>IAH>Tokyo through Delta $2700+
I don't have a lot of experience flying, so just trying to consider my options
>>
>>1206669
Unless there's massive layovers involved, I'd fly with Korean. Delta is shit for long haul international economy (all the major US carriers are). What city are you flying out of?
>>
>>1205430
A lot of airlines will charge for this as a form of ancillary revenue. If they are charging you to change your flight completely (change fee + fare difference) ask if you fly standby for an earlier flight instead. It's often cheaper. Again, this all depends on the airline, mine does it for free.
>>1206565
Are you perhaps flying to Maine or Upstate new york tommorow? That happened with my airline tonight because the operations department fucked up, otherwise It might just be a schedule change. My best advice, unless your booking with multiple airlines (DL/AA) dont book on expedia. Book directly with your airline, youll probably get a cheaper fare, and not have to deal with those poorly trained, outsourced retards if you have problems with your booking.
>>1206580
This does up your chance of delayed baggage, especially if your switching carriers. See my advice in the Spirit thread.
>>
>>1206036
who are you flying with?
>>
File: geyoutang.jpg (121KB, 462x482px) Image search: [Google]
geyoutang.jpg
121KB, 462x482px
>booked a flight to Shanghai with United
>Look it up and apparently United is the worst U.S. carrier next to Spirit

Did I just make a big mistake
>>
>>1206755

It was some Turkish airline, Pegasus.
Anyway, I got a response and called to confirm that I indeed had 20kg of check-in, which was a pleasant surprise. Especially since the tickets were the cheapest ones I could find.
>>
I guess I can ask this here as well:
Why would this >>1206595 be a bad idea? I read that you're supposed to write your info on the bags in case they get lost. Whom do I trust now? What's the worst that can happen if they know my phone number?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.