[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving back home from Abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1483264070827.jpg (589KB, 3085x2035px) Image search: [Google]
1483264070827.jpg
589KB, 3085x2035px
If any of you expats lived in one place long enough to acquire allot of stuff... how did you manage to decide what is essentials to take back home with you?

I got a bunch of shit all over this apartment and I been selling what I can .. but there is no goddamn way I will fit my stuff in 2 50lb luggage and 2 carry ons.

any advice?
>>
I'm doing the same process at the moment.
Not sure how I will manage, but I think I'm getting close to the 2 check in and 2 carry on size.

I first sold what I could sell. Ate what I could eat. Gave away things to friends that were open to receive stuff. And then I still had 3 times the amount of stuff at least....
Sent home some books that I thought I couldn't repurchase/find online.
Donated all the rest to charity shops.
Clothes, travel gear, make up, electronics, sports equipment, luckily I mostly had cheap ones so I was okay with donating the vast majority of it.
Now I'm contemplating over my 4 season bivvy gear, it's probably going to be one piece of luggage by itself...
Kitchen gear and furniture is also to be donated or sold.

I just asked myself if I really needed all that stuff... But I don't, it's just hoarding.

If you think your stuff is all necessary, get a moving company or ship some stuff via post/UPS/DHL/whatever.
>>
File: december1994_1920[1].jpg (412KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
december1994_1920[1].jpg
412KB, 1920x1080px
I leave bags wherever. Got 2 in different corners of Yurop, and one in SEA. It is not ideal, especially when people call you and ask what they are to do with your crap, but what you gonna do...

Sometimes I just give away crap. Screw the losses.
>>
I figure I'll just hire a moving company. (Or just let my new employer do that)
>>
One of the main issue is clothing... I got a ton of it.. I been weeding through it to the essentials. But fuck, it's like literally starting all over again.

The second is computer gear.. I guess I should just sell it all and keep the harddrives... but I have 9 harddrives for a kodie system and I am not stupid enough to bring a fuckton of warez through customs.

But 9 semi-blank, files easily recoverable drives ... through customs... I guess I should destroy these... and cut my losses.. exodus is amazing anyway.
>>
>>1204309
Learn to let go and stop being materialistic.

Either that or start boxing things up and msiling it back.
>>
>>1204508
I'm about to go be an expat for a few years, and shit I learned that packing for the trip , before I've even left. I'm currently selling all my shit I can't take with me (almost everything I own) and have realized the silliness of owning "stuff". Save money and live a life without gratuitous material things
>>
>>1204309
Don't bring much stuff in the first place or leave what you originally brought from home since those items are probably easier to replace.

Many people bring toiletries and other stuff that you can just get in the other country. It's kind of nice seeing new types of toothpaste and whatnot. I ended up bringing miswak toothpaste from the middle east.
>>
>>1204309
Where is OP's picture? I'd love to see that.
>>
>>1204620
Real expat jobs pay relocation expenses. Usually already have a contract with movers in whatever country. Or will reimburse you to move yourself.
>>
>>1204677
weak b8
>>
>>1204309
I shipped all the furniture and shit via sea. It was sort of expensive but cheaper than buying new things when I got back
>>
>>1204874
By sea is what my employer does for large household goods, as well.
>>
OP here:
Update.. been selling stuff for pennies on the dollar via FB groups.

It's sickening how much crap a human needs to make a place a home. Starting to embrace a real minimalist existence.

Some stuff was hard to let go.. because they were "comforts".

Now this apartment is getting lighter by the day... which is actually improving my moral to get home sooner.

The aggravation is knowing that clothing is cheaper here... like as low as $5 for a quality shirt.. compared to the exact same shirt ...costing $40.
Im giving up 3 suits.. to be replaced by 1 three piece suit after watching this awesome video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5UVVJ8kC8Y

Looking for some more good advice on minimalist lifestyle ... I think I can really embrace this. Thanks so far!
>>
>>1205637
OP, I fell into a minimalist black hole since I had to plan my move. I don't know how long it will last, what I do know that it felt incredibly good to donate things. The first one felt like they were pulling my teeth, second, third, still hard... But now that I donated at least 50-60 pieces of clothing and a few dozen books, feels like someone lifted something off my chest.
>>
>>1206602
so far I am feeling that way too. Now I am in turbo - donate, destroy, sell mode... still cant get down to 2 bags of luggage.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.