[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do in London

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170116_233131.png (554KB, 1080x749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170116_233131.png
554KB, 1080x749px
Hello guys,
I'm heading to London för a week in February. Wanted to ask you guys what are some fun things to do? Are there any alternative city tours?
>>
What sort of stuff do you enjoy doing? Also, what is an "alternative city tour?" Never heard that term.
>>
You can get to any other city in the UK in under a day, depends what you're interested in.
>>
My experience:
>Just walking around in london is pretty great
>there are free city tours which are pretty good, and you get to meet people and visit a ton of the main city atractions
>go to platform 9 3/4, it is pretty good to visit and you can take a retarded photo there
>visit that beatles street which's name I forgot, there is a Beatles store just near with so much Beatles stuff it scares you
>meet people on the Hostel so they can help you decide your next stop and you can make friends

I know that's all pretty basic but that was my first trip. They say London is a pretty dead city during night, but I think it looks amazing in some spots. But the "nightlife" there is kinda dead.
>>
>>1204068
>Are there any alternative city tours?
Of course there are...
There are gourmet tours that take you to the port, all the best eateries, guided market tours to learn about some of the oddities and craft foods of english history, pub crawl tours by neighborhoods, cemetary/ghosts/murder (ripper) and lots of literary related tours (from shakespeare to Sherlock) incl harry potter stuff...lots of different things. Just add the word "unusual" or "different" in front of "london tours."

Grrr, now I want to go to London. I'm jonesing for some winter city travel atm.
>>
File: 20120228_ricksteves_33.jpg (35KB, 650x432px) Image search: [Google]
20120228_ricksteves_33.jpg
35KB, 650x432px
>>1204091
I think he wants it "through the back door"
>>
File: fortnumandmason.jpg (767KB, 1024x736px) Image search: [Google]
fortnumandmason.jpg
767KB, 1024x736px
If you like food going to Fortnum & Mason's can be pretty fun. It's a very upmarket grocery store. It also has a couple of restaurants there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtKxf5Rky4
>>
>>1204068
Do all the touristy stuff, visit museums etc.

Walk down thames walk, sample the food from several different in one location; camden lock
>>
So after I arrive in london, I have several questions:

1. What is the cheapest solution for mobility (tube/bus) around the city? gonna stay for 6 days

2. any cheap yet good food anywhere?

3. how expensive are the museums and stuff like sightseeing / river ride / wheel ride?

I'll have a disposable budget for two of about 500 euros / 432 pounds

they don't accept euros, right?
>>
>>1204445
>1. What is the cheapest solution for mobility (tube/bus) around the city? gonna stay for 6 days
Uber is quite cheap but otherwise bus/tube is the way to go. Its quite expensive compared to most countries.

You'll need an oyster card, get a top up oyster card so you can control how much you spend

>2. any cheap yet good food anywhere?
Fast food is your best bet but again london is an expensive city.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/best-cheap-eats-in-london-food-for-a-fiver-or-less

>3. how expensive are the museums and stuff like sightseeing / river ride / wheel ride?
Most museums are free (all the best ones anyway) river cruise will set you back £10 and usually lasts 40 - 50 mins. the wheel ride depends on what service you opt for but £25 - £30. I recommend a visit to the sky garden which is free but the tickets are hard to get

>I'll have a disposable budget for two of about 500 euros / 432 pounds
You should be fine with that budget but it all really depends on the person you are

>they don't accept euros, right?
No, though there are chains that do especially in tourist areas
>>
>>1204132
definitely go to shoreditch/peckham area at night.
By the far the most live place, with heaps of young people
>>
>>1204554
although Peckham can be pretty dangerous, walking around Shoreditch is probably a better idea
>>
Also going to London in Feb.
Anyone recommendations for cheap hostel/hotel?
No shared room
>>
>>1204549
>>1. What is the cheapest solution for mobility (tube/bus) around the city? gonna stay for 6 days
>Uber is quite cheap but otherwise bus/tube is the way to go. Its quite expensive compared to most countries.
>You'll need an oyster card, get a top up oyster card so you can control how much you spend

No you don't. Get a 7 day Visitor Travelcard. https://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/london-travelcard/

Ride the doubledeckers when tired, take the tube when in a hurry. No need to worry about topping up or thinking about transportation at all when there.
>>
>>1204445
>3. how expensive are the museums and stuff like sightseeing / river ride / wheel ride?
Adding to what the other anon said, those things that aren't free can be very expensive. If you'd like to tour Parliament, you can. It's pretty cool.
>>
>>1204549
>>1205639
thanks
>>
>>1204445
Poorboi stay home, ask for mommy to raise your allowance money
>>
>>1204445
Also you're French, Italian or Spanish aren't you? I swear those 3 nationalities are the cheapest bastards on the planet when you travel. Rarely shower, always cooking their own food, dont shave, sneaking each other into hostel rooms, wagging their fingers and arguing when presented with any sort of fee. Even when dirt poor Polish or Romanians travel, they're not half as stingy. Cheapskates are the absolute worst.
>>
Whats the weather like end of April/ beginning of may? Im from the Pacific Northwest heard its similar to ours
>>
>>1205639
Most museums and art galleries are free. It's only the privately run tourist things that charge an entrance fee. Lots of amazing monuments and cathedrals, such as St Pauls, Great Fire of London Tower, etc, are good to check out as well if you are into culture and history.
>>
>>1205639
Natural History Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Wallace Collection are all good museums to visit, free entrance.
>>
>>1205841
London is not cheap. An English breakfast is 11 pounds. In New York you can get eggs,bacon and hash browns at the corner deli or coffee shop for six bucks.
>>
>>1204554
peckham at night? do you want anon to die?
>>
>>1206867
Stop eating in trendy cunt areas then you fat fuck
>>
>>1205625
There are lots of cheap, though not particularly pleasant places around Bayswater, Paddington and a few in Notting Hill. A bit further out, but I'd recommend Charlotte's Guest House in West Hampstead (,good cooked breakfasts included there too). The Travelodge chain has loads of hotels across London. Some of those in East London (eg the one by London City Airport ), or in more remote suburbs, can be good value if characterless.
>>
>>1204068
You could easily spend hours going through the archives (updated daily for about 15 years) of diamondgeezer.blogspot.com to find alternative or at any rate offbeat things to do in London. One idea that springs to mind: walk along the canals, Limehouse to Islington then Camden to Little Venice
>>
>>1205636
I thought they phased travel cards out?
>>
>>1204554
Hackney Marshes is a wonderful place to see the stars
>>
Is there a good way to take a ferry out to the countryside for a daytrip from London? Hampton court seem to be a popular destination but not that far out, is train the way to go?
>>
>>1206950
I always book my hotel in the Bayswater/Notthing Hill area when I go to london, which might not be the best but aside random kids asking your for drugs, I never have any kind of problem and hotels there are pretty cheap
>>
>London
What a meme. Babby's first England trip. You'd have to pay me to go that cesspit.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.