[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommendations for an inexperienced traveler

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1412361003129.jpg (358KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1412361003129.jpg
358KB, 1920x1080px
Where is the best place for a solo beginner to go? I've been to Italy and India but I went with other people both times and I wasn't the one doing the bulk of the planning.

I don't want to go somewhere too westernised like Europe or America, I'd prefer somewhere that would give me a bit of a culture shock.
That said, since this would be my first time traveling alone, I don't want to go anywhere too dangerous.

I'm thinking more Asian countries but I'd only be going for a week or two so I don't know which would be more enjoyable.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>1203417
Simple one would be Thailand or Vietnam.
Both have plenty of cheap flights, simple to navigate, you get around with english, cheap as fuck, offer nice stuff to see and do and are pretty safe
>there's a reason both are favs for "babys" first solo trip.
>>
>>1203420
this was exactly my first solo trip and had a blast.
>>
>>1203417
OP, do you want to go SCUBA diving, browse museums, get a rental car o your own and self-drive a vacation, do photography, meet people, dine alone when other people aren't...

For alone travel, I'd most of all encourage cities in US and Europe, honestly. It's the multitude of things to do that wandering alone gives you such freedom of choice.
>>
>>1203417
if you're traveling solo you want somewhere with more active indipendent travelers/ backpackers etc

I found europe to be the best hands down, but that's just me
>>
>>1203417
It's not the easiest option, but its still very easy. Just go to northern India (Stay the hell away from Kashmir and bordering areas), Nepal, Bhutan, and Tibet. Probably the most fun trip I ever had by my self. Depending on how/when you go, it can be dirt cheap or kinda pricey.
>>
File: 20130531_232642.jpg (490KB, 1469x1102px) Image search: [Google]
20130531_232642.jpg
490KB, 1469x1102px
>>1204187

Kashmir isn't that bad, to be honest. I went there by myself a couple years back. People aren't always the friendliest, but I never felt endangered. I even know an Israeli who went to visit just a month back. So far as I'm aware, he's still alive.

However, I would agree that a return to India might not be terrible for OP. There's a lot to do and see. I've been to India seven times and I've always learned more on each visit.

>>1203417 (OP)

Literally go wherever, m8. I took my first solo trip when I was 19. It was the first time I'd ever left the country and I traveled Turkey-Greece-Turkey-Iraq-Turkey-Georgia-Armenia-UAE-Bahrain-Qatar-India-Kazakhstan-Turkey.

Is there any particular place that appeals to you? Any region or culture or activity that you really want to do?

As others have said, SEA and Thailand in particular have good tourist infrastructures. If you can get a visa, go to Iran - everyone I've met who's traveled there has had nothing but good things to say about the landscape and people.

Pic related - I got Gezi Park'd two weeks into my first trip.
>>
>>1204187
>First time over seas.
>Goes to India and Himalayas.

Dafaq is wrong with you Anon?
Northern India is advanced tier shit.
Just not dying crossing the street is a lesson all in of itself.

For first time travelers, stick to Thailand.
>>
you've got the wrong outlook on it, anon. you shouldn't think about countries so much as you should think about regions. if you come from a temperate northern country like most of europe, you'd be blown away from some of the things you'd see in the western US, like the evergreen mountains of the pacific northwest, or the breathtaking, otherworldly views you get descending the mountains bordering the plains just east from there. go further southeast from there to utah and colorado and you'll see terrain that wouldn't look out of place on mars. sticking to the americas, go far south to the andes; practically the whole mountain range is worth exploring, but in particular the area around torotoro
as for culture, you say "westernized" but that doesn't mean a whole lot outside of the big cities of the west. the average small city/large town in canada, for instance, is nothing like a similar place in austria
anon, I recommend the alps. I recommend starting somewhere in austria and ending somewhere in the french alps, going straight through switzerland
if it must be something less usual than europe or north america, south america is good, particularly the area around the andes and most of the rain forest in the north, which is all safe for tourists. the southern panhandle is beautiful, and if you go far enough, it looks practically like the antarctic
if you only care about meeting people, asia is the way to go. rural china and mongolia. you can figure those out. very unique places with lots of interesting people. chinese cities are weird. they're a strange mix of modern, old and ugly communist housing blocks, and traditionally-styled housing
consider the australian outback. it's basically africa-lite

don't listen to a single word I say. I'm full of shit
>>
>>1204199
I respect your dubs but OP the region he's talking about is EXTREMELY expensive, Switzerland is probably the most expensive place in the world, and for a reason it's incredible. But the hostel scene is kinda shit. I ended up just staying in hotels because its if I'm gonna pay 60 bucks to stay in a shitty dorm with a bunch of gross old men who are trying to save money on business I might as well spring for my own room.

Extremly nice and I enjoyed it because I had money and don't mind not socializing with anybody for days on end beyond small talk. But it's not for every solo traveler that's looking for the common room experience
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Z__lrzPxs
>>
I know your said you didn't want to go somewhere in America but you should think about Alaska. I spent a Summer there and trust me it is not super westernized depending on where you are.

The summers there stay around the 60s or 70s so it's a nice temperature. All of the people are really friendly. You could live out of a van or an RV that you rent. There are campsites and RV sites all over the place.

If you like fishing, hiking, and just the outdoors in general, Alaska is tough to beat. Plus you can get out there experiencing nature by yourself one day and the next you could go into town or a hostel and meet up with other travelers
>>
>>1203417

Honestly dude go to Sri Lanka.

Flights are cheap, most people speak English, it has a great public transportation system. The food is unfucking believable and you can find a decent hotel or guesthouse for very cheap.

I went back in December alone and it was amazing. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
>>
>>1204198

Have you ever been to India?

OP already has. I don't see why any part of India should be considered "advanced-tier." If he managed to cross the road there once, I'm sure he can do it again. So far as I've been able to gather, the biggest risks to visitors are being scammed or falling ill. For the former, all that's necessary is to be somewhat logical and not trust every happy stranger who approaches out of the blue. The latter can't be controlled but can be kept in check by stocking up on the right medicines beforehand (Imodium, Norflox, Cipro, etc).

The only reason I'd caution against going to India right now is demonitization. I was there from August until early December; getting cash was nearly impossible. However, my friends have suggested the situation has improved considerably since.
>>
>>1203420
>Vietnam
>Fun
Worst trip ever, made me realize I never want to travel to a poor country ever again. I hate dishonest proles so fucking much. Wasn't even that cheap compared to Thailand either and the food was absolute dogshit

>>1204193
Bear in mind that if you aren't from Canada and travel to Iran you'll waive your access to visa-free travel in the US.
>>
>>1204629
Sorry you did not like Vietnam, it was one of my favorite places. Different folks like different things, I guess.
>>
>>1203417
Is that Yangshuo? If so... I definitely recommend that area for a solo traveler. Guilin, Guangxi in general is great alone, too. Yunnan as well.
>>
How is Taiwan for a first solo trip?
>>
>>1204768

very easy and good.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.