[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Zealand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: SDun530.jpg (115KB, 450x313px) Image search: [Google]
SDun530.jpg
115KB, 450x313px
I'm flying to Auckland on Feb 2, then traveling overland down to Dunedin, where I'll live for a year.

What's there to see and do in Auckland and Wellington in a day or two? Is there anything worth stopping to see in Christchurch? Any must-see locations between Auckland and Wellington that I should go out of my way to see on the way?
>>
Go down via the West coast once you get to the South Island. Ferry from Wellington will get you to Picton then drive over to Greymouth/Hokitika then down through Franz Josef and Queenstown. Personally I wouldnt use up your time in any of the cities. Best NZ can offer is out away from civilisation. Dunedin's cool, lived on the South of there for a month. I guess you're there for Uni?
>>
>>1203368
Was just in Auckland a month ago. What are you looking to do?
>>
>>1203368
I suggest going to the WETA cave in Wellington. It's not a real cave, it's a tourist gift shop that shows off all the best models, props and statues from WETA studios. They worked on Lord Of The Rings msot famously.
Go in and ask about the tour. It'll cost, but they take you around back to a warehouse where they keep a ton more props. Swords and armor, fake but extremely lifelike animals, I saw a full sized jeep from Halo when I went in there.

Even if you're not a movie buff, I still highly suggest it, if only to appreciate the stunning detail in professional movie props up close.

As for Auckland, going up the Skytower is the most I can suggest about the area.
>>
>>1203368
Nothing you should really go out of your way to see but if you've got a day to kill in Auckland just walk around.
Catch a ferry over to Devonport and get some fish and chips on the beach. Eat a pie and drink an l&p on top of Mount Victoria (not really a mountain). Top views of the city over the harbour from there. Nip down to Cheltenham beach and peek an angle of Rangitoto.

If you like beaches head west to Piha and drown in a rip.

New Zealand is fucking pretty to look at OP.
>>
>>1203747
>>
File: interislander.jpg (278KB, 2144x1424px) Image search: [Google]
interislander.jpg
278KB, 2144x1424px
>>1203572

Traveling on a real tight budget, so I'm stuck with the bus on the trip down south. Once I've saved up some more money I'll plan a roadtrip or two to see the out of the way places.

I'm there on a work holiday visa. I'm considering going back into academia, so I'm going to take the time to volunteer with uni projects and build contacts.

>>1203710

Anything, really, but I don't care for nightlife/clubbing. I'll have a whole day in the city.

>>1203738

Sounds like I should budget an extra day in Wellington than Auckland, then. The current plan has me getting there at 8PM, then leaving at 5PM the next day on the ferry. Probably only enough time to either see WETA or the national museum.

>>1203747

Thanks for the tips. I'm taking a pretty good camera with me, looking for photo ops sounds like as good a thing as any to do if I don't have anything else.
>>
I'm from Dunedin, slow city when no students but march it will liven up again
>>
>>1204028

Looks like I'm arriving at the right time.

Do you have any tips for someone moving there? Depending on how I like it, I'm considering permanent relocation.

What's the job market like? I'm not looking for the biggest paycheck possible, just something that could support a comfortable but moderate lifestyle.

Any good restaurants I should know about? How is the local ethnic food (Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Korean)?

What are the best places to see that are within a day's drive?
>>
>>1204027
The museum in Welly, Te Papa, has got a pretty neat exhibition about gallipolli right now. made me a bit teary eyed, but I'm a baby about that sort of thing.
Enjoy your time here.
>>
>>1204311
also: entrance is free, so there you go
>>
>>1203368
Wellington - The National war memorial museum (has a lot of dioramas and props made by weta workshops)
- Cable car up to the botanic gardens, walk back down
- Te Papa museum
- Walk along the waterfront (where Te Papa is). Great for people watching, especailly dueing the lunch hour.

Christchurch - Generally walking east through the central city from the central bus depot across to the botanic gardens is a good days outing (you get to see a fair bit of post-earthquake chch, and there is a fair bit of street art around).
There is a nice little museum (free) with an old timey 'street' set up, plus nice gardens etc. Go see the buggered Cathedral and then nearby New Regent street which is good for a coffee or gelato.
The Art museum (free) is also worth a look if you are into that (close to the botanic gardens).
>>
>>1204029
I lived in Dunedin 8 years and loved it, its just a bit miserable if you have a shit flat/house. We kept our beer in the hallway in winter since it was a comparable temp to the fridge

If you are job hunting get started asap since the students will take up a lot of the part time jobs. There are jobs in retail and restaurants but not a lot else. Also becoming a bit of a tech town if you have some experience there.
Keep an eye out on trademe.co.nz where most jobs are listed these days.
Try not to live in North Dunedin if you want to save money on rent - this is where all the students want to flat and so the price is high - check out south of the 'Octagon' or even south Dunedin if you have your own transport. Then you can afford to be a bit picky about having a non-mouldy/damp/cold room.

Restaurants are not the greatest, but the Japanese isnt too bad - I went to Jizo a lot since its cheap too. Otherwise Tokyo Garden is okay. Mexican food is crap, Thai Hanoi is pretty good for Vietnamese. The best Indian I had was at Indian Spice (North East Valley) but I may be biased since I lived around the corner for a year.
In general Chinese food in NZ is not great, I haven't tried the Korean places.

Within a days drive
- Moeraki Boulders is worth a look - turn right not left at the entrance so you dont go through the shop and use their staircase (apparently they charge to use it?) You can park down the right and walk there in 5 mins easy instead.
- Katiki point light house: There is a penguin and seal colony there which is free to bview, its just a bit of a gravel road to get htere but is near Moeraki so worth doing both in a day.
- Tunnel Beach: A right of passage to do this walk, though avoid hot days as it is steep in places and a fair walk, bring lunch and your togs for a swim.
- Lots of walking tracks around not far from the central city (ross creek, signal hill) and further out
- Ask the locals for their favorite places
>>
>>1204311

I was counting on visiting the museum anyway, and that sounds really cool. Will make sure to check it out.

>>1204368

Is the war memorial museum near Te Papa? I'll only have time to visit stuff in that area, I only have a day in Wellington and I need to get to the ferry by 4pm.

Will definitely follow your advice in Christchurch, I had no idea what to do for my evening there.

>>1204377

Thanks a ton. I've been looking on easyroommate for flats, and it looks like there's a lot for under 120NZ a week, even near the uni. Is that cheap for Dunedin?

I've fallen back on food service before, and I want to get into tech long term, so that's great to hear.
>>
>>1204027
Truthfully, I didn't explore much of the city itself other than around Princes Warf, but for about $20-30 NZ you take take a ferry to one of the islands nearby. I went to Waiheke Island ; which is apparently known for wine. Did a few wine tastings, walked about half of the island. Small, uncrowded beaches. The few people we did see were super friendly (there are a few towns on the island).
>>
>>1204398

If its $120 with power/internet or food thats not bad. I usually paid about 85-100 (room only). For 6 months I also paid $70/wk when we had 3 in a 2 bedroom house, so It can vary.
North East Valley is a nicer area and still cheap as students are lazy and dont want to walk that far (the same can be said for anything slightly on the hill), just make sure the flat is on the 'light side' (North road odd numbered houses/north west side) so you get the sun in winter.
Avoid Hyde, Clyde, Leith, Castle streets unless you want to PArtaaaaay with your neighbours.

In Wellington I've done the war museum then walked down to Te Papa in the same day, so its doable if you start early in the day unless you want to see every single thing in Te Papa. Its a 15 min walk downhill.
>>
>>1204377
Indian Spice was my shit man, we lived on Gladstone road, just a road away. Where were you?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.