[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Volunteering Abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: volunteerrr.png (380KB, 605x464px) Image search: [Google]
volunteerrr.png
380KB, 605x464px
Hey /trv/, has anyone here ever volunteered abroad?

I ask because I figured that it's a cheap way to see the world, as some volunteer groups will pay for lodging and food. What are some good organizations that allow this sort of thing? I don't really care where I go (for the most part) but I'd like to keep things as cheap as possible. Thanks /trv/.
>>
>>1203162

>volunteered abroad
Don't do this.

You get paid shit, and you get sent to the worst places on Earth. It will open your eyes to how stupid third world people are though.

Instead, just teach English. Most cases your expenses are paid for, and you get much more spending money.

>Japan
works too much, but salary is very good
>Korea
good wages, but small country
>China
usually decent wages, large country, working hours few. This is the best for seeing the world
>Thailand/Viet
Very low wages, very low working times though
>India
They already "know English", so no. not here
>Europe
They usually dont pay for your housing, but still nice to see and decent wages.

Honestly, the best balance of cheap living, and max travel would come from teaching English in China, Thailand, or Vietnam.
>>
>>1203165
How quick can you get into this?
>>
>>1203165
>don't volunteer you get pad shit

Just sit there and let that sink in a moment.
>>
>>1203780
He has a point though. My point as the OP was to figure out a way to travel while getting paid just enough to eat and be housed. Most volunteer programs I've seen require you to SPEND money, which is fucking insane.
>>
>>1203784
They are not interested in providing free vacations for volunteers; you pay your own way precisely because they want to avoid people gaming them. If you don't want to do that sort of thing, that is fine -- enjoy your travels.

But "Don't volunteer, they don't pay you much" is pants-on-head level.
>>
>>1203796
It's not a free vacation. Obviously, it's one of the main reasons for doing it, but I can honestly say that it would be nice to help people if I could. The pay should cover housing, food, and a little bit more for going out once a week or so. In turn, I help the people.
>>
>>1203797
that's called "a job" you fuckwit
>>
>>1203806
But a job would supposedly leave me with disposable income, that is, if I live in a first world country.
>>
>>1203165
>It will open your eyes to how stupid third world people are though.
Goes both way really. Imagine there are people stupid enough to pay to live in a shitpile, eat shit and get treated like shit only to get some photos of themselves surrounded by little shitskins on their instagram/fagbook. How stupid is that?
>>
>>1203162
Cheap way to see yhe world is get a job in a hostel anf see the area for a couplr monyhs then change cities and find another hostel to work in.. rinse repeat circumnavigate.
>>
>>1203908
But what if I only speak 2 languages? Not to mention, how do the interviews work if you're overseas?
>>
File: CpSG1UXWIAEJDTq.jpg (11KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
CpSG1UXWIAEJDTq.jpg
11KB, 256x256px
>>1203162
I thought you voluntourism was bad unless you have like a medical/engineering related degree, because otherwise you're just taking away jobs from locals among other things.
>>
>>1203165

I volunteered in the US for 3 months with a conservation corps, I'm a Brit so technically it was still abroad. It was probably the best 3 months of my life, made quite a few friends and saw a lot of he country.

Don't knock it.
>>
>>1203162
A lot of """""volunteering""""" you have to pay basically as much as just travelling there anyway would cost, really no point. And that's besides the fact that a lot of the programmes are actually bad for locals and primarily exist to line the pockets of the people who run them.

Just get a job teaching English if you want to go to the third worldas >>1203165 says, is pretty piss easy and you have a lot more freedom. If you want to go to Europe look into some of the big campsites as they'll pay you a stipend which will let you travel around Europe in time off and you can go on a volunteer visa which is easier to get. If you want to go to the US then Camp America is the way to go.
>>
You an American? Peace Corps is an option if so
>>
>>1204325
I'm a Canuck.
>>
What are some options for people who can't teach English?

"Can't" meaning a lot of different things.
>no university degree
>no teaching certification
>poor people skills
>not being white (most Asian countries prefer to learn English from a white person, and I can't exactly blame them; good luck getting an English-teaching gig if you're Asian-American)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.