[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Outback?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: outcrack.jpg (574KB, 2000x837px) Image search: [Google]
outcrack.jpg
574KB, 2000x837px
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to Australia in June or July to visit a friend in Sydney. As for now, I'm pretty much going to stay in Sydney and the area around it. But from what I heard, and an own personal dream of mine, is to check out Uluru and the Outback.

I did some research, and it looks like an additional $1k to get to Alice Springs and go on a tour to Uluru from Sydney. My question to you /trv/ is if its worth the expense to go all the way out there, or should I just save my money and stay in the big city. It seems to me like an American telling a tourist to New York to fly to Yellowstone because you can't go to America and miss it.
>>
I don't know about if it's worth it (some people say it isn't some say it is) but if you want to see the outback along with it then I'd recommend looking for someone who is going that way anyway.
You save a bunch of money and have friends to hang out with. They'll probably just want some cash for gas.
Look up various ridesharing sites and groups on Facebook. Someone's bound to go there sometime, especially from Sydney.
>>
>>1202416

So don't fly? How long of a drive is it?
>>
>>1202415
I've been to Uluru and Sydney before on the same trip. Not sure if it'll help you but I'll post what I did. I took the Ghan train from Adelaide (started my trip there) overnight and got off in Alice Springs. Then rented a car and drove the 4-5 hours from Alice Springs to Uluru. After Uluru I flew 3ish hours to Sydney.

You definitely don't need a big tour to explore Uluru. You can take day tours or whatever, but there's a hotel town ten minutes from the rock and you can easily make your own arrangements. I had three days there and spent two days in Uluru and drove to Kata Tjuta on the 3rd (another rock formation about 45 minutes away).

I personally enjoyed it a lot, but I also like history and nature. There wasn't much to do in Alice Springs and nothing to do that isn't Uluru-related in Uluru, so take that into account.
>>
>>1202796

That actually sounds like a blast, but was it really expensive? I heard the Ghan is crazy expensive, and renting a car can't be too cheap either.
>>
>>1202822
The Ghan is pricey, yeah. I was lucky enough to have family subsidize some of it. The passengers were almost all retired Australians, so that might speak to the cost. During the trip I was thinking that the train thing was overrated but looking back it was a cool experience. You could just fly in to Uluru or Alice Springs, though. I'm not up to date with those prices.

The car rental was split among four, since a relative was good friends with some Australians who had never been to Uluru and always wanted to go, like >>1202416 said. I just did a very quick search and it seems like Alice car rentals are about $80/day. Also the drive was a good way to get a real feel for the Outback.

Any way you look at it a substantial location change like this is probably going to cost a decent bit of money, especially to such an isolated location. But I thought it provided a good contrast to the cities I spent the rest of the trip in, and I definitely wouldn't have traded going to Uluru for more time in Sydney (I did get a week there for reference).
>>
>>1202782

a week
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.