[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Georgia and Svaneti

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: sv4.jpg (358KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
sv4.jpg
358KB, 1280x719px
So /trv/, me and a group of three of my buddies are seriously considering going to Georgia for about two weeks in May or June. We all have a pretty good idea of what we want to do and see, but I think I'd like to get some ideas from the experts on /trv/ about what to expect in the country.

Our rough itinerary is as follows:

Week 1: Base in Tbilisi and doing day tours to Gori, Mtshketa, and probably Kazbegi. Obviously do some sight seeing around Tbilisi itself

Week 2: We want to try to go to Svaneti but it seems pretty difficult to get to. We were figuring flying in to Metsia and from there hiring a 4WD to take us to Ushguli for a day or two.

If we only stay in Svaneti for 3-4 days, we were also thinking of checking out some wineries if its not too difficult to get to/expensive.

So my questions to you is, firstly is this a decent itinerary? Secondly, what are some good places to stay in Tbilisi? Is it worth staying at a hostel that can arrange tours, or should we go for a more comfortable guesthouse or Airbnb?

How is getting around the country? Will hiring cars be the best way or public transport? Finally, how easy is it to get around/experience Georgia without speaking Georgia? I personally speak passable Russian, but will English be enough for the other guys?
>>
>>1202410

bumping for interest
>>
>>1202410
>Is it a decent itinerary
Sounds fine
>Good places to stay in Tbilisi
I advise getting a nice Airbnb apartment, as you'll be able to share the cost. You can take part in tours without being in a hostel. There's tours going to Davit Gareja and other places every other day from the Pushkin statue near Freedom Square.
>Getting around the country + language
Russian makes it a lot easier, of course. You can take marshrutky to a lot of places (small buses). If you rent a car, of course you're more free. Depends on what you want to do. It's probably worth to rent a 4WD, I've never done it though.
>>
>>1202410
>week1
Mtshketa isn't much to look at, nor is Gori apart from the Stalin museum. Gori combined with Uplishthike (sp?) is probably nicer. Like anon above said, Davit Gareji is definitely worth it.

Lots to do in and around Kazbegi. Hike up to Sabertse pass (and slightly beyond) above the Tsminda Sameba church for the best views. Juta vally and Truso gorge are nice as well.

>week 2
Night train to Zugdidi, take one of tbe marshrutki that will be waiting there. Comfy and will only set you back 40GEL or so. Alternatively, fly. One direct marshrutka from Tbilisi, but it's the least comfortable option. Be aware that hiring a 4WD is probably possible - ask your host - but it isn't going to be cheap. You could walk to or from Ushguli in 2-3 days.

Wineries are mostly in Kakheti, SE Georgia. Tours incl. transport from Tbilisi shouldn't be too expensive, but make sure you don't just get driven around mostly and get to have some time in the wineries.

Public transport (mostly marshrutki, but also bus and trains) is amazingly functional and cheap. Aim for pre-noon departure as not all destinations have afternoon services. Always stayed at the Why Not? Hostel myself. Very nice place, but you can book tours by yourself without problem.

Passable Russian will see you through anywhere in Georgia. English is less common.
>>
>>1202410

bumping for interest
>>
>>1203627
Ask away if you have any questions.
>>
The easiest way to get to Scaneti (and most interesting in my opinion) is through South Ossettia. Let me try to sell you on that shit:

>need multiple entry Russian visa to enter from the north
>no visa for entry to SO, but you should really contact the Tourism Office (info on WikiTravel) because they process you in advance to clear your entrance
>book a tour and keep your head down: They still have KGB and if you try to cross the border (a thin wire fence) you might get shot by Georgian military

South Ossettia may be going through a referendum to join Russia after only a few short years of independence. The same sights you would see in Georgia are in Russia, and through their tourism board you can see the Svaneti region from the north. You'll see Osset flags flying from the towers on your side, and Georgian flags on the other.

Down side is you can never go to Georgia again, so you may want to start your trip in Tbilisi, continue to the city north of SO, grab a bus, go on a tour, and fly out from Russia.

My dream tour desu
>>
>>1203761
This is also easy because English is pretty much unheard of in the Georgian countryside, and the closest way there is Georgia Military Highway, still pretty far and through dangerous mountains. There aren't many Georgian tours, but South Ossettia handles you closely and doesn't let you wander into danger. It's like a North Korean tour, only less authoritarian
>>
>>1203761
>>1203762
Firstly, as a georgian I wish to you painfull death
Secondly, you should have learn geography better, since so-called "south osetia" does not border with Svaneti and this...
>you can see the Svaneti region from the north. You'll see Osset flags flying from the towers on your side, and Georgian flags on the other.
... is totally bullshit
>>
File: P6232786.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
P6232786.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1204299
Not him, but if one were to end up in South Ossetia, seeing the flags waving would be quite likely.

I've been to Georgia twice, and I've been to its northern borders with Ingushetia, Chechnya and Kabardino-Balkaria. Flags all over the place, sometimes with combined border posts where, for example, there's both a Georgian and an Ingushetian flag. Obviously combined posts won't happen with South Ossetia/Tskhinvali region due to the nature of the conflict, but there's Georgian stations along the border as one would expect. Pic related actually, Truso gorge. Straight ahead leads to Russia, left turn to South Ossetia.
>>
>>1204299
I must have heard wrong, I saw a lot of the ruins on Google Earth, and they fell within the red line.

>implying I support SO

I just think it's interesting, desu. You read history books about countries that only existed for like 5 years, places like Tuva or the Soviet Republic of that fucking island off the coast of Estonia, and you wonder about people who traveled there, or if there even were tourists there. SO is cool pretty much solely because it gets no tourism, which is why I suggested visit Georgia first.

What even is there in SO? I really thought Svaneti was there.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.