[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Australian tourist fined on the Berlin S-Bahn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5593.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5593.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Hey guys, I'm currently travelling Europe and had a bit of a stumble today, and was hoping you might be able to answer some questions I have.

Yesterday I bought four short distance tickets from a machine on the station, and while I used the English translation the information still wasn't the clearest for me, and so I took the tickets with the impression I had four tickets I could use over the course of my two day stay. So I was keen to get about Berlin, see the sights, and I jumped on a train out to Grunewald without validating my ticket (it was made pretty clear on the machine that I had to validate it, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the whole train system, much different and busier to what we have at home, and I fucked it up and neglected to punch it in the stress of finding the right train). I was checked in Bellevue and I handed him my four tickets, quite naive about the whole process and thought I was riding clear since I'd bought four tickets.

Old mate was really nice about it, and took the time to explain the situation to me, then took my passport details and address, and handed me a bank transfer paper and a €60 fine.

I know I buggered up here, stupid touristy mistake or not, I "rode in the black", right, and I'll take the fine if I need to.
But at the same time, €60 is a lot of money and I'm a uni student travelling between semesters, I really don't have much at all.

So my questions are:
If I don't pay it, will it come back to haunt me? I have two weeks to pay the fine, and I leave Berlin tomorrow, though continue travelling the EU for another 2 months.

And will this stop me from entering other EU nations on my trip?

This might come across as me being a grub and not wanting to pay a fine - and yeah I totally don't want to pay this fine, but I understand it's my fault and if I've gotta pay I've gotta pay. Just looking for some advice. Thanks!
>>
It won't stop you this time around, you might be denied entry to Schengen when you want to visit next time.

A friend of mine was denied re-entry cause he didn't pay his cheque. To be honest I only heard about that one story from him, he got fined in Austria. Might be that other countries are not so good at administering these stuff.
>>
>>1201246
>If I don't pay it, will it come back to haunt me?
very likely, at least on the day you want to leave the schengen area or reenter it.
We talk about the germans. They will issue a warrant if you don't pay and go as far as requesting administrative and legal cooperatione from australia to collect the 60€ + late fees + interest and all their administrative fees
>I have two weeks to pay the fine
pay it up, drink one beer less per evening and you're golden.
>>
>>1201252
>>1201255

Goddamn, so efficient and merciless when it comes to transport fines hey?
It's a steep fare but a fair cop, so I may need to pony up and drink less beer, as you say.

So leaving the Schengen area or entering other countries in the next two months will likely be difficult with this fine on my head?
>>
>>1201246

Yeah you got super unlucky, I lived in Berlin for 6 months and only got checked like twice. Pay the fine or they're gonna give you shit on your way out of Schengen, just have your parents put money in your account and pay them back later.
>>
>>1201263
once the 14 days pass they might give you a 7-14 day grace period of doubt after that once you have to go trough the usual schengen entery/exit procedures you will get flagged.
Traveling around schengen countries not so much unless some local cop does actually check the lodging night registry they get when you check-in onto a hostel/hotel or does a actual ID/Passport check.

My opinion: It's a stupid game to play and in almost all cases you get fucked.
>>
>>1201263
Berlin ticket fines are pretty shit, they are required to fine you 60€ if anything wrong is found with your tickets (which will most likely happen your first or even second time around). Doesn't matter if you're a tourist or a senile old man or whatever.
I got off easy on my last time and the ticket checkers split the fine with my friend so I paid half.
>>
kek.

It says "Please validate your ticket" in English on the fucking ticket.

Pay the fine.
>>
Man how many times has this thread happened already. Fucking Germans.
>>
Foreigners inquiring about how to dodge the fine of the Berlin public transport company is almost a meme in parts of the German speaking Internet.

Congrats OP and now pay up.
>>
>>1201265
>>1201281
Seconding both of these.
It's rare to get caught in Berlin, but if you are caught, you're fucked.
Also they don't instantly put you on any blacklist, you have a few weeks to pay this without running into any trouble.

After that they should send you some sort of reminder via mail (idk how they do that you being from Australia, but they normally do), most likely you're on the blacklist from that reminder, the one you might not even get cause you're a foreigner.
>>
>>1201246
If you can afford a holiday in Europe, you can afford a 60 yuro fine you cheap cunt. Pay the fine or I'll fucken smash ya. Fucken grub.
>>
same thing happened to me 2 years ago, I completely ignored it. I got a notice in the mail back in the states and ignored that. It was more that I didn't want to be bothered by spending time paying it than actually paying it. Stupid, I know.

I've been back to Germany and didn't have a problem, even though I flew in from the Schengen. I feel like I should pay it to avoid any problems in the future but don't know how.
>>
>>1201246
>If I don't pay it, will it come back to haunt me?
no, i got caught without a ticket and said id pay by post, they sent me letters for a while, but I have been to berlin three times since without bother
>>
>>1201363
>Fucking Germans
Umm excuse you but us Germans don't have a problem with our tickets. It's you filthy foreigners that can't follow simple instructions printed on the tickets and on the ticket machines.
>>
155 of 480 prisoners in the
JVA Plötzensee are here because they didnt payed there fines.
So Pay, we need your Money for some refugees.
http://m.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/strafen-jeder-dritte-in-ploetzensee-sitzt-wegen-schwarzfahrens/1396434.html
>>
>>1201369
>>1201287

To be fair to OP, with the Berlin metro system it's almost like it's made to catch you out. No metro card option is fucking unacceptable in 2017, ticket machines are not always on the platform so when you're in a rush you literally have no choice but to risk a fine.

Germany is a rich country it's about time they upgraded this shit show.
>>
>>1201246
Hahah I had a funny run in with a ticket officer in Berlin a few days ago, and I'm also Aussie!

I was riding the train back to my hotel and I was just standing at the train doors when a ticket officer taps me on the back. Now I didn't have a train ticket except for an invalid one that I had used the day before, so I was just going through my pockets finding it and I was just going to plead ignorance as a tourist and whatnot.
Anyway, at the time that he asked me for my ticket he was already waiting for another bloke to find his ticket. At the moment I pull my invalid ticket out of my pocket, the train stops and the doors open and this other bloke just jumps out and runs down the platform, but the ticket officer soon tackles him to the ground.
I just stepped on to the platform holding my ticket and walked the other way. Fortunately, it was also my stop at Hackescher Markt!

I'm sorry to hear you got nicked OP.
>>
>>1201265
they seem to randomly do crackdowns because I was there once for a few days and was never checked, then went back for a week and was checked by plain-clothes police every single time I used the metro, which was at least about 10 times
>>
>>1201691
funny because every person I saw getting caught out was a german, mostly old people who pretended they didn't know what they had done wrong
>>
>>1201986
Germany may be a rich country but Berlin is a poor capital.
>>
>>1202006

They are very random when it comes to it. Generally I've found though that they dont go out during rush hour because you can't physically move through the U-Bahn car.
>>
>>1202114
Berlin is literally the only worthwhile city in Germany. Cologne and Freiburg are also decent, but aside from that its all just dirt (and heck, even Berlin is dirt)
>>
>>1203312
>hating on based München
>>
>>1203312
Berlin is unremarkable and full of garbage and junkies.
Munich is getting worse though.
Youre better off checking out rural bavaria.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.