[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

USA Eclipse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Eclipse2017_USA.png (2MB, 1000x771px) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse2017_USA.png
2MB, 1000x771px
Anyone travelling to watch the Great American Eclipse on August 21st?

I'm flying over to watch from Missouri and then travel around some fly over states like Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma.
>>
I'm thinking of going to Oregon, but I don't want to go alone, and my friends don't seem to have the money.... /problems
I'm still going to try and convince them to save up in the next few months.
I saw a full solar eclipse back in 1999 from a mountain that was surrounded by lower ground, it was so freaking cool to see eclipse come and go from there. Also it got so cold for a minute. Want to see this one so bad...
>>
looks like ill be able to see about a .985 magnitude from my home. north of atlanta here. cool.
>>
>>1201064
Sounds fun OP. I just peeked at this website for some zoom in.
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm
Looks like Charleston would be my pick of watching it. It'd probably be a blast downtown what with the ability to walk around with your drinks and party a bit, and with some water views both. Some of the fun of historical and apocalypse events is experiencing the reactions of those around you. You still need eye protection to watch it. You taking a telescope or some homemade shades?

This one I'm not sure I'd travel to go see unless I had vacation that week. In general, it's a great month for travel deals and I used to often take trips the moment most kids are back to school a little later in Aug/early Sept and enjoy some great bargains (great for Europe if you don't mind risking some chance of encountering a rained out city). Eclipses are not that much more bizarre that the midnight sun vs short days at upper latitudes though, which I've done on the short days.

I do like to travel to "dark" places outside my city for Perseid shower peaks, which COINCIDENTALLY will be peaking in 2017 on the exact day when this solar eclipse is happening :o You might see shooting stars in the same day, is that possible? Have fun OP.
>>
>>1201085
Believe me, you want to travel to totality. A partial eclipse, even at 0.985, is nothing like totality.
>>
>>1201080
Check likelihood of a cloudy day in Oregon, might not be the best choice.

>>1201085

Come north for totality, friend. Thank me later. If you have never seen one, you do not want to miss it.
>>>1201101
>>
>>1201099
You don't need magnification to watch a total eclipse, and a telescope would likely be more than you need anyway -- decent binoculars are more than enough. And do not look through ANY light-gathering device before or after totality; recall magnifying glasses and setting paper on fire.

Use scope or binoculars to indirectly view partial phase by allowing the sun to shine though it and project onto a white surface a foot or two away.

Mentioning Perseids, you may already know all this but since I have typed this I'll post it for anybody who does not.

Do not just fixate on watching the eclipse even when total -- this shortens the subjective time you experience. Take a good look, then notice the effects around you --birds going home to roost, other people's reactions etc. The look at the eclipse some more, then look at effects some more.

before and after totality, do notice where sunlight is sprinkling itself through the leaves of trees -- you'll se all these little images of the crescent sun from the pinhole-camera effect.
>>
File: 2017-2024 (1).jpg (74KB, 750x578px) Image search: [Google]
2017-2024 (1).jpg
74KB, 750x578px
There will be another eclipse in the US in 2024, after that it's 2045.

The 2017/2024 eclipses intersect in Iowa
>>
>>1201204

*Illinois
>>
>tfw having a friend in southern Illinois
Nice OP, I didn't know about this. Time to hit him up.
>>
>>1201125
Hmm which state would be a good one when it comes to the weather? Somewhere in the middle? The thing is I cannot deal with heat too well, Oregon seemed like one where August is bearable... But good point re the weather. We had a partial eclipse recently, didn't see shit cause it was all clouds.

Can people stop with changing the climate already? I cannot deal with the summer heat these past years. :(
>>
>>1201256

Have a read of these
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/
http://eclipsophile.com/americas-eclipse/
>>
>>1201266
ive lived in Charleston SC for my entire life so if anyone is looking to meet up in August and get shown anything other than slavery apologists and shit tourist traps lemme know.

Also planning on watching the eclipse from the top of an abandoned hospital so it should be pretty empty and eerie
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.