[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Studying abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: TroyU-seal.png (15KB, 442x420px) Image search: [Google]
TroyU-seal.png
15KB, 442x420px
I'm stuck with a dilemma. I have the option of studying abroad, but I cant seem to make a choice. I've narrowed it down to 2 options:

-Liverpool (John Moores University)
-Alabama (Troy University)

I like liverpool because it's closer to me (I'm Belgian), cheaper, and has a bigger nightlife. It's also a pretty big city.
However, i also like Troy, Alabama. I've always wanted to experience American college life, it's also much more of a culture shock. It's a lot more expensive and the Troy is a small town (20k), so i'm not sure about the nightlife.

What do i do /trv/?

Any other students here who studied abroad?
>>
The Alabama choice is worse for at least 5 different reasons:
- Troy is a no-name school and not worth a premium
- As a second/third tier public school the students will be unstudious and possibly retarded
- There is a chance of embedded racial segregation among the students with a lower ranked university being blacker and having a poorer backgrounds overall
- Nightlife at such a remote place will depend on culture and administrative permissiveness which can't easily be researched in advance
- Alabama is empirically shitty (as in demographic data) and the Deep South would be a foreign land for many Americans
- It will be time consuming/expensive to get to better/different cities and states
>>
>>1201054
Is there no other US option?
You'd certainly enjoy Alabama for immersion most notably if you get access to a car and can explore on your weekends all over the region, I wouldn't worry about racial nonsense. You're white, you're not racist, and you'd likely be very nice to those around you. It'll be charming actually to experience true hospital in "The South." Quick check on their wikipedia lists some good international programs. You certainly won't have many distractions in your education, since there's little to do in Alabama except the college experience itself, good BBQ and damn good food, bars/music/nightclub, and some quaint old historical stuff.
>>
>>1201054
What degree/career were you aiming to get for yourself?
>>
>>1201074
Thanks for the advice, I am well aware of the racial prejudice still seen in those parts of the countries. I should have said that the level of education only marginally interests me, this has been said many times to me and i'm fine with it. Money is not an issue.
>>1201077
Sadly not, there are loads of EU options because of the Erasmus programme here. The problem I have is that whilst i really enjoy busy city life, i also like the calm country life. america is also pretty vast, i could for one go to Florida while im there.
>>1201078
Computer science. The degree im getting at home has very good accreditations, the level of education on exchange is marginally important to me. It would also be only one semester.
>>
>>1201054
Some more negatives for a semester in Alabama:
-The food will make you fat
-You will need a car
-Southerners are generally not that fondly disposed to foreigners
-Small town Alabama is going to be boring as fuck once the culture shock wears off in a couple weeks
-Part of that culture shock is gonna be a fuckton of Jesus

The American South is very much worth seeing. I just got back from NOLA. I drive down from NYC a couple times a year, and stop at different cool places along the way. There are many worthwhile places to visit there. But a semester stuck in rural Alabama isn't the best way to do it. I'd say definitely plan a trip to the American South sometime in your life, but as a student you'd probably enjoy Liverpool more.
>>
>>1201082
>Computer science.
You belong at FIU (Florida International University) in Miami, my friend. It's great for international students. They just got ranked top 5 engineering/cs, and well, it's Miami. There's suburban life as well as fun weekend life.
>>
>>1201054
If you are to go to university in the UK, Liverpool is also one of the best cities you could choose in terms of nightlife, low living expenses and welcoming people
>>
Troy is a garbage school and alabama is a garbage state
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.