[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is India the most spiritual destination in the world to visit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: sb10062950t-001-660x420.jpg (50KB, 660x420px) Image search: [Google]
sb10062950t-001-660x420.jpg
50KB, 660x420px
Is India the most spiritual destination in the world to visit?
>>
Objectively, Mecca probably is.
Define "spiritual", anyway.
>>
>>1200472
>Is India the most spiritual destination in the world to visit?
Italy? Vatican City?
>>
>>1200472
Never been, so I have no opinion. Temple sites in Cambodia and Japan top the list for me, along with the Vatican, as somebody already mentioned.
>>
>>1200497
>>1200491
Cant speak for Mecca but the Vatican didnt really satisfy me spiritually...amazing to look at though.
>>
>>1200472
>Is India the most spiritual destination in the world to visit?
Nope, it is in fact Israel.

Going to the church of the transfiguration, and the way the sunset light comes through the windows in just the right angle...goosebumps...blows you away.
>>
Guys, guys, it isn't spiritual unless it's oriental and mysterious.
>>
>Lhasa, Tibet (or anywhere in Tibet or Leh, northern India)
>Bhutan
>West Papua (still animist)
>Mecca
>Vatican
>Native American places like Bighorn Medicine Wheel, Cahokia Mounds
>Jerusalem
>Lumbini, Nepal
>South American pyramids
>Egypt
>temples at Rome
>>
>>1200517
LOL.
I get a kick out of people who explore some strange religion outside their childhood one that they never actually learned about formally. The exotic is more attractive, for sure.

Interestingly enough, all of adults I know who converted to buddhism are ADHDs for some reason. They find hours of meditation did the trick. I guess they could have gone and prayed to God instead, but they never went there. Prayer is not meditative, or maybe they didn't know. So, yea, it was like a drug, and got hooked on the first one they actually sought on their own away from their parents. It's rebellious and cool like that. It's kind of like how cool being a vegan is.
>>
>>1200472
Shitting in the street must be a religious experience these days
>>
>>1200505
Mecca used to be really spiritual, but now they've turned it into Las Vegas
>>
No. I don't often say this about a country but India truly is the epitome of every bad meme you've heard about on /int/. It stinks, the people are some of the rudest in the world about haranguing you for money, the noise is completely relentless and I could not have been happier when I got out.

I can safely say it is the worst place I have ever been, I lived in Xi'an in China which has almost 10m people and have travelled all over Asia and nothing compares to the relief I felt when I was done with my month in India.
>>
>>1200604
India divides people. I hated it for all the same reasons you listed. Yet some of the people I traveled with loved it. They think that omg temples vegetarian food hinduism this is so spiritual. The one thing they all had in common: they were all girls.

We also have Real Travellers(TM) who will come and defend India. I remember one time when someone just came shouting on how he had the real India experience and how those who didn't like it must have stayed in resorts and bawwww. He then tried starting an e-peen contest by boasting about his age, countries traveled, languages spoken, etc. And naturally got completely BTFO at his own game.
>>
Bhutan or Nepal
>>
>>1200624
>preemptive character attack on any opposing opinion

pretty mature of you there
>>
>>1200668
Excelent rhetoric.
>>
File: chapel-of-angel-1024x768.jpg (204KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
chapel-of-angel-1024x768.jpg
204KB, 1024x768px
As a Christian, nothing beats picrelated for me
>>
>>1200472
ITS THE MOST TRYHARD

EAT PRAY LOVE TYPE TRYHARD

ALSO THE MOST DISEASE RIDDEN
>>
>>1200522
Spirituality =/= Religion
>>
>>1200755
So what is spirituality to you?
Randomly "meditating" for 30mins everyday?
>>
>>1200534
I have ADHD and I can see why, I'm always looking for some mystical cure or method of solving it. I know it wont work though.
>>
>>1200757
It's certainly not some old guys in fancy hats who tell you what you can and can't do
>>
>>1200472

I lived in India for a couple years and have traveled there seven times.

In my experience, people who travel to South Asia primarily for spiritual reasons tend to fall into one of two camps:

1. Backpacker- and hippie-types who abhor the locals and interact primarily with yoga teachers and other foreigners. They're likely to think that most Indian men are con artists or perverts and have never stayed outside of a tourist ghetto.

2. Real Traveler-hippie hybrids who seemingly fetishize poverty. These fellows will talk at length about how amazing it is that poor Indians are happy despite having few possessions. They rarely consider their aversion to materialism a result of a circumstantially privileged upbringing.

India is interesting from a spiritual perspective due to its religious diversity. Moreover, poor people who have received substandard educations or no education tend to be zealous, no matter where in the world they might be from. India has a lot of religions and it has a lot of poor, zealous people. I think the combination of poverty, old history, exotic religions, and a vastly different culture make India a "spiritual tourism" destination for a certain segment of the population.

I fucking hate hippies and am not into spiritual shit at all, but I can see why they might be inclined to pick India.
>>
To me hiking by the cliffs or a mountain feels spiritual.
>>
>>1200811
The feeling of divinity is often enhanced in a group psychosis situation. It helps having guys with funny hats to tell you something special is happening :^)
>>
>>1200951
Being on the ocean at night. Even if He does not exist the rest of the time, God is pretty evident on a beautiful night with gentle swells and some multiple numbers of zillions of stars, a thunderstorm on the distant horizon, some phosphorescence in the water... if there are also some meteors, you get to be a prophet or something.
>>
Ireland/Scotland anyone?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.