[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flying internationally with a guitar amp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 0217300000_amp_frt_001_nr.jpg (291KB, 600x470px) Image search: [Google]
0217300000_amp_frt_001_nr.jpg
291KB, 600x470px
I'm going to japan for a few months relatively soon, and just wanted to know what the best way to take my guitar amp would be? It's pretty big, and 64 pounds. I just want to know if it's better off not taking at all.
>>
play acoustic you faggot

I assure you nobody in the country you're traveling to wants to hear that
>>
>>1200389
Nigga I can't use my pedals with my acoustic now can I?
>>
>>1200391
my reply to that is the same, so just read my post again

also you suck at guitar if you're so attached to your pedals and amp. why don't you actually practice getting good instead of polishing turd playing with effects?
>>
>>1200388
Are you going to be living in one place in Japan? Dragging an amp all over the country sounds pretty awful to me. Anyway, you're either looking at checking it and paying for overweight baggage, or packing it up and shipping it, which will be either somewhat expensive or take a long time.

I wouldn't bother. I'd get a smaller amp (the Blackstar 10w, for example, has a bunch of decent-sounding amp emulators, costs less than a hundred bucks, and could conceivably fit in a modest-sized carryon) or acquire one there.

How are you carrying your guitar(s)? Most airlines no longer let you use them as carryon baggage, since they've never really fit in overhead bins. So if that was your plan expect disappointment.
>>
>>1200388
Pro musician here. I have toured the world a few times with a couple different bands. Shipped amps to Japan four times. What you need is a flight case. They're $200-$300. And it's really only worth getting one if you're going on tour. The cost of the case and shipping would be about the same as just buying a second hand amp in Japan. It would only be worth bringing your own amp if you had a couple well paying gigs in Japan, and then a couple more lined up in Australia after. If that's not the case don't bother.

Many guitarists in Japan do not own their own gig size amps, because they're not practical in small apartments, and most performance venues have backlines.

tl;dr You are better off not bringing an amp to Japan, unless you have some lucrative gigs lined up there.
>>
>>1200388
Check what your airline would charge to carry that -- it's going to be overweight. Might be as cheap to buy one over there.
>>
>>1200744
This

Just buy one there, then sell it before you leave
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.