[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taiwan Living/Travel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: taiwan-map.gif (223KB, 1000x1106px) Image search: [Google]
taiwan-map.gif
223KB, 1000x1106px
I'm thinking about moving to Taiwan for 6-12 months maybe longer if I like it. Does anybody here have any experience with this country? Anything I should know about?

I'm figuring on living in Taipei, seems like I might as well. I'm also considering Tainan, but I'm not sure, I would want to visit it first but would want to find a job pretty much ASAP when I get there so I can make the next step of finding longer and more comfortable lodgings.

I plan on teaching English if anybody has any experience with that in Taiwan also? I have a degree but not certificate, but I keep hearing that it's not a must at a lot of schools there if you have a degree. I plan on getting a real cert after awhile. Seems like there are lots of jobs too online but I've been told the best thing to do is go around in person.

Would appreciate any advice. I'm hoping to leave later this month hopefully.
>>
>>1199936
Im planning a trip there before the rainy season in March-April so bumperoo
>>
Bumparino
>>
>>1199958

The north has Jiufen, the oceanside town that Spirted Away was based on. For sights, Taipei has 101, Elephant Mountain, Taiwan Democracy Memorial Park, and Tamshui. For art, it has Huashan 1914 Creative Park, Songshan Creative Park & MajiMaji. If you like Myanmarian food, go to Huaxin rd aka "Little Myanmar". Night Marketwise, Raohe & Linjiang have tons of good food.

The east coast is a nature lovers paradise, you have Yilan / Hualien / Taidong. Yilan I've yet to go to, but have heard the scenery's good, and it has the Kavalan Whiskey distillery. Hualien has Taroko Gorge which is impressive. Taidong can take you to some of the outer islands, Green Island & Orchid Island.

Down south, you have Tainan, Kenting, and Kaohsiung.

Tainan is the old capital, and now the food center of Taiwan. If you like history, go to Anping or Chikan Tower. For art, go to Qimei Museum, The Cultural Center or Xinmei rd. For eating as much good food as you can, just walk around Guohua rd / Youai rd, or go to Huayuan night market. You can also get to Penghu Island from Anping.

Kaohsiung is a lot like Tainan, but with more western influence. Here you can find good European / American food. As for places to see, go to Pier 2, LDR, Xiziwan, Lotus Pond, Fo Guang Shan Temple, Monkey Mountain, Rueifang night market, Cijian Island, Xiaoliuqiu.

Kenting is where everybody goes to the beach.

As for the west, you have Alishan National Park if you like ancient trees. Ershui / Jiji for cycling in rice paddies / mountains. Yuanlin for a good small town experience. Taichung for Indian food and Luce Chapel. Miaoli for Tea Sage Hut.

Lmk what you're in to and I can give you more specific suggestions

>>1199936
What do you specifically want to know?
>>
>>1200139
Any idea on the job situation over there?

Not OP but I'm a science grad looking to gtfo out of Europe, teaching science/lab work/ English teaching that kind of stuff
>>
I studied abroad there.

Loved everyone but those filthy English teachers
>>
>>1200151
Where didn't they touch you?
>>
>>1200150
Finding an English job is as easy as going on FB and typing "insert city name" teaching English group

If you want to teach a subject at a public school, you'll need to be certified to teach it in your home country first

Lab work I'm not sure of, but would probably require proficiency in Mandarin in addition to any other requirements
>>
>>1200150
You also need to be a native speaker in order to get a work visa
>>
>>1200150
if english is your native language you could teach that, but it's a dead end job, wages are shit, and there is no respect for the position in Taiwan anymore (the lame nerdy sexpats ruined that)

to do other subjects you'd need certifications and such. also, even at better schools the wages are still crap. I doubt you'd find lab work unless you speak mandarin. taiwan is good for studying and vacation, only in some special cases work (but only very special cases)
>>
If you haven't already, you should learn Mandarin.

I had an overnight layover in Taipei, and stayed at a hotel, nearly no one I met spoke English. There was an interpreter working at the airport who booked my hotel room and he provided me with a pamphlet of mandarin phrases, not that anyone understood what I was trying to say.
>>
>>1200576
Really? Was this recent?

OP here, I was actually hoping to learn mandarin(or at least some) while I was there. I like Taiwan because it's a freer, richer, cleaner China that has a more exposed population that probably has more English speakers than the mainland. So I could learn it but still have a western ambiance.
>>
>>1200139
What's a better city to live in as a young western expat? Taipei or Tainan? Or a different one?
>>
>>1200863
This was just over a year ago.

It wasn't incredibly hard to get by, I could point at pictures at food stalls to get what I wanted. But it was still inconvenient to not be able to communicate with anyone.
>>
>>1200863
Basically everything you said is more or less true. If you want to learn Mandarin seriously, your best bet is to take actual language courses. Student visas for studying Mandarin are relatively easy to get as well.
>>
>>1200864
What criteria do you have for a place being good to live in? Public transportation, cost of living, night life, etc?
>>
>>1200864
Taipei is probably the best one. Good transport, western amenities, good english speaking local population, nightlife options etc.

Tainan is a great weekend spot to chill out, great food, weather is hotter since it's the south. Transportation isn't so good. No subway, busses are relatively infrequent compared to Taipei. Less western amenities and english is not as common.The only people I know that specifically try to live there either love the smaller slower vibe or have already lived in taipei and wanted a change.
>>
also, if you're looking to study chinese first and work second. Maybe just come over on a student visa and try to find people to tutor one on one in your spare time. You can make decent money to support yourself (not ball out of course) on just tutoring. You also don't have to deal with a lame cram school breathing down your neck.
>>
>>1199936
Relevant. I'm plannign on studying there this fall (chinese language program) after or hopefully before, I'd like to lock in remote work to continue either living in Taiwan or travelling.
>>
I'm moving there at the end of the month with a friend. I'm Irish. Lol do they really not like English teachers? I was thinking of teaching 'technical' or conversational English to businessmen or whoever..
>>
>>1201060
Uh. It's not that they don't like English teachers or foreigners. Taiwanese people are super friendly. Just that there's a bit of a stigma because they know how easy it is to teach English and foreigners in Taiwan have a reputation for being a bit "off."
>>
>>1201069
>>1201060
"foreigners" in Taiwan are a bit off. For one, they have no fucking sense of perspective. Case in point, they regularly refer to themselves as "foreigners" and talk about the "foreigner community" when in fact they're only referring to mostly white and overwhelming English speaking people from western countries despite the fact that they're outnumbered by southeast Asian workers by a wide margin. Those people sure as hell don't factor into the "foreigner community."

For another, the incidence of alcoholism among English teachers is almost certainly much, much higher than that of the average population of wherever you come from. My coworkers would regularly show up to work hungover. I went to a bar on a Sunday about a month ago and saw one of the girls I work with wearing the exact same clothes as when she got off work on Friday. Hadn't gone home or changed, just drank through the whole weekend. This is compounded by the fact that Taiwanese aren't super big drinkers on the whole.

Lastly, most of them make no effort to learn Mandarin. Imagine the worst stereotype of obnoxious people who have lived in your country for years but learned no English. That is them. Give a shit about their culture and language. Getting to live and work in their country is a privilege. Don't perpetuate these unfortunately mostly true stereotypes.
>>
"""look at me i am white guilt white sre trash brown people are am sorry please fuck my sister also my mum and gf""" """spit penis juice into me for i am guilit"" >>1201743
>>
>>1201750
>Hurr durr, if someone says something I don't like they must be a racecuck, "muh white guilt"

Fuck off. People hate Chinese tourists for the same reasons: when they barge into your country, they're obnoxious, self-absorbed and completely clueless about how other people see them (that or they just don't care.)
>>
>>1201759
jkakjakjakjakj cuckkkkk
>>
>>1201764
>>>>/pol/
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.