[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iceland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

I'm planning a holiday in Iceland and was wondering if anyone could give me some info.

> Are general prices reasonable?
> Should I rent a car or is there a cheaper alternative?
> Has anyone been there and may they share their experiences?
>>
>>1199305
>> no, prices are not reasonable. Not sure where you're from, but even self-catered food and basic accommodation runs at around twice as much as what you'd pay for something better in the UK (not excluding London).
(Was in Reyjkavik early last month))

It's well worth going - there's plenty of stuff to see, natural stuff mostly, but it's expensive.

Probably hiring a car is advised but check out the laws about where you can go. Restrictions inland/mountainous areas in particularly. There are loads of organized coach tours from Grey Line and Reyjkavik Excursions and other companies, too, but you're with a crowd all the time, you have little freedom that way
>>
I hear hitchhiking is relatively safe and common in Iceland and I would have no trouble, is this true?
>>
>>1199486
Safe? Sure, is very safe society. Main problem you might find is lack of traffic if you're not within say 50 miles of Reykjavik. Two-thirds of the population live in the capital, and tend to fly between cities rather than drive. Probably also a better option in summer than in short daytime's of winter
>>
Any insider visits in Selfoss?
>>
STAY AWAY!
TOURISTS NOT WELCOME!

source: People of Iceland
>>
The native people of Iceland just sit around and read and write poetry, quite boring and if I may generalise, I'd say they are one of the most pretentious people on earth.
>>
>>1199305 I've been in summer and winter, rent a car (which I would arrange to pick up as soon as you land at Keflavik with a satnav) trust me thats the best way to get around unless you are doing a tour i.e. northern lights. take a look around \Reykjavik on foot, visit the penis museum and then do something like Go along the south coast to Vik or up into the Fjords, try AirBNB for some amazing places to stay. Also, things in Iceland are slightly expensive, you have been warned, Just check general info online on visiting for road safety etc.

>>1200250 I feel like they're defensive because they're a small country and are invaded by tourists, but yeah, they come off as exasperated with you all the time, not pleasant but they're ok really
>>
>>1199915
>t. VestfirĂ°ir
>>
>>1199596
>Safe? Sure, is very safe society. Main problem you might find is lack of traffic if you're not within say 50 miles of Reykjavik. Two-thirds of the population live in the capital, and tend to fly between cities rather than drive. Probably also a better option in summer than in short daytime's of winter
In Fall, in my rental car, I could drive for 2-3 hours and not encounter ANY cars whatsoever coming in the opposite direction. The only traffic was a car probably every half hour to and from the Golden Circle spots.
>>
>>1200250
>if I may generalise, I'd say they are one of the most pretentious people on earth.
Oh, that's silly. They're not overtly friendly, rather, kind of cool and reserved though polite, which is how I'd categorize some other nationalities as well. It's a cultural difference that they aren't interested much in hanging with tourists who are leaving soon, I guess :/ You can always buy drinks though.
As far as sitting around being artistic? They have a decent socialized safety net for their citizens to delve into artistic pursuits and easily end up on the dole just in case for as much as 4 years after they cease employment. :o
>>
>>1200459

lowest unemployment rate in the world they say
>>
Hey /trv/, possibly going to Iceland in March, what's a rough estimate of how much I'd spend for a modest one week vacation (eating cheap food, staying at shittier hotels, etc.)?

I live in Hawaii so I'm already used to paying a premium for imported produce.
>>
>>1200570
Bumping, I asked the question linked above.

I looked up flights and found some for under $900. I think this trip will happen. I plan to rent a car, and really only want to see the northern lights. How much money do you think I need to save for a week in Iceland?
>>
>>1199596
>people fly between cities rather than drive
>>island smaller than Pennsylvania

I don't understand. Are the roads just constantly filled with snow?
>>
>>1201828
Not necessarily, but look at the map and see where the roads and settlements. For the most part, you can't drive across the middle of the island, you have to go round the edge. So it's slow.

And really the attitude to cars is a lot closer to Europe than to America. And the attitude to distance - on a small island, not a country that is a continent in its own right - is more like that in Europe than that in America too.
>>
>>1201446
The Northern Lights can never be guaranteed so don't pin your hopes on seeing them.
>>
>>1199305
Thinking of doing this next winter.
Gf and I are spa enthusiasts and live in Canada. Really big on saunasand steaming mainly, but was intending to make something of a spa winter getaway. In terms of distance and amenities Iceland seems optimal.
Though, this Blue Lagoon meme seems overpriced.
Any body got any info on this? Are there any other spa destinations?
>>
>>1202235
Blue Lagoon is amazing. Very expensive, but maybe unique in the world in both experiences and surrounding landscape. I'd say it's worth it, though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.