[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mexico City area

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 4f6a421516eadb17d60b8d714e526aaa.jpg (491KB, 1400x894px) Image search: [Google]
4f6a421516eadb17d60b8d714e526aaa.jpg
491KB, 1400x894px
I'm going to Mexico City this spring. I'm looking to rent a car and get outside of the DF area and maybe into some other surrounding states. Is there anything outside the city other than the pyramids that is worth seeing, or would it be better to just stay in the city?
>>
File: Ciudad de México.png (5MB, 1433x1433px) Image search: [Google]
Ciudad de México.png
5MB, 1433x1433px
Just stay in the City.
>>
>>1197656
Mórelia is 5 hours from the DF
Puebla, Cholula and Tlaxcala are close to the east.
Quéretaro is a few hours away.
To the north you have Tula de Allende and El Tajín...

How far are you willing to drive? The DF has plenty to see by itself. How long will you be staying in the country?
>>
>>1197721
I'll probably be in the country about a week. I'm willing to spend about half of that outside of Mexico City. I was actually looking at doing Morelia and Lake Camecuaro, but the state department warnings for Michocan scared my travel partners.
>>
>>1197656
The city is perfect in a week. The only leaving you'll want to do with only 7 days total, is to see Teotihuacan.
The zocalo, ballet/operahouse, a couple days in chapultepec park museums, guadaloupe, xochimilco, tons of great restaurants and shopping choices. And a good amount of minor sights... I wouldn't leave if only a week is given. Honestly, I wouldn't even get a car, as it's annoying to park and it's city driving equivalent to new york. Instead, I'd pay for a hotel car with driver to run you around together, especially out to the pyramids. There is a nice hotel nearby Teotihuacan, which gives you either an early morning before-the-tourists sunrise on the pyramids after some amazing brunch, but if lucky, you might get laser light show tix (they running it again? not sure, ask the hotel).
>>
>>1197731
>state department warnings for Michocan scared my travel partners.
last year that area was so bad, the lime exports were completely ceased to the US, and restaurants had to skip serving limes, or cocktails with limes

Also, when it comes to murders/deaths in mexico, that's only 1/3 of the total story. There are twice the number of people who simply go missing. Heed whatever the State Dept is warning, esp if you're in a rental car, and look non-mexican.
>>
>>1197731
I spent two weeks in Michoacán this year and felt perfectly safe. It was worse 4 years ago, when I was also in Mórelia. Michoacán should be fine as long as you stay out of the southern areas.

>>1197734
>I'd pay for a hotel car with driver to run you around together
What the fuck? Just use the subway.
>>
File: Michoacán.png (5MB, 1433x1433px) Image search: [Google]
Michoacán.png
5MB, 1433x1433px
>>1197926
>>1197736
Too bad desu.
>>
>>1197939
Just go, for Christ's sake.
>>
>>1197926
>>1197947
I'd personally love to, but sadly my travel partners are pretty nervous about anything remotely dangerous. Maybe another trip.
>>
Come to Puebla, anon. It's 2 hours or so in car, there's a shit ton to see and the food is great.

It's also a college town, so if you need directions for anything, anyone that looks remotely educated with be able to help you out it English.
>>
I recommend you to stay in Mexico City, there's plenty to see, do and eat there for a week.

Also, don't rent a car, traffic is hellish there, use public transportation or Uber (which is dirt cheap).

DO NOT USE TAXIS
>>
>>1198408
>DO NOT USE TAXIS
Or he can call taxi's or have other people call them for him.
>>
>>1197926
I spend a year in Michoacan and Jalisco
It's perfectly safe, if you don't do something complelatly stupid...like me
>>
>>1198408
Why not? I speak spanish

>>1198699
What happened?
>>
>>1198963
>Why not? I speak spanish

Best case scenario you get ripped off.

Worst case scenario you get mugged or kidnapped.

Stick to Uber, though the taxis at the airport are fine, if a bit pricy
>>
File: 2016-12-23 13.11.44.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-23 13.11.44.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1198411
What's wrong with using the taxis? Just spent 3 days in Mexico City and I used taxis about 10 times.
>>
>>1199144
There's always the 1 in a thousand chance that you're getting into a pirate taxi. I've hailed taxi's of the streets in Mexico City and my paranoid grandmother who lives there never batted an eye. It's just a safety measure given to westerners just in case.
>>
>>1199144
They are paranoic anon. I've lived all my life here and never had an issue with them. Sure, I guess there's a small chance of something happen.

Use UBER instead then, it's just a little more expensive anyway
>>
Look into Timeout Mexico for cultural things to do. Dedicate a few days to all the history downtown, another day for Coyoacan and at night you should go to Condesa/Roma for a drink (latter is cheaper).

Rent a bicycle and check out Reforma. Castillo de Chapultepec and all the surrounding museums. I'd avoid the zoo, it's pretty underwhelming.

Have fun, anon. Only use uber for longer distances, it will be significantly better and safer for a foreigner.
>>
File: 10128901116_9ed987185d_z.jpg (228KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
10128901116_9ed987185d_z.jpg
228KB, 640x429px
I don't recommend renting a car. If you get in an accident you're pretty fucced and the traffic is hectic. If you do, only for the days that you travel out of the city. I spent two weeks there with family and am a Real Traveler™ .

Within the city there is a nice bus line you can take I forget the name but it's only 12 pesos or so to get on. Don't recommend the metro because you may get caught in rush hour when it is packed like a bus in India.

Places to check out in Mexico City:
LA CASA DE LOS ABUELOS
This is the definitively best breakfast in the city. We went there almost everyday, even after trying to find new places. The great thing about this city is that they prioritize service, so the experience is homely. It's attached to a bakery so after breakfast you can pick up a oreja.
CALLE GENOVA
street two blocks from La Casa de Los Abuelos. We stayed at the Marriot nearby so we frequented this street. It has many restaurants and high foot traffic so it's safe. It leads to the metro too.
COYACAN
This was the most breathtaking part of our trip. The church at the city plaza is an unexpected sight. There's a large market perfect for getting souvenirs and the plaza has food nearby. I'm going to go against what I said about the metro, because it is the most efficient way to get here. The metro is an indispensable way of transportation, but you must be extremely careful to not get caught in rush hour. Leave ~9:30am and board for return no later than 4:30pm

I'll describe the rest of these in next post with pictures
Friki Plaza
Tower Latin Americano
Basilica
Museo Nacional de Antropología
Pyramides
Frida Kahlo House
Palacio de Bellas Artes + Metropolitan Cathedral
Av. 5 de Mayo + Eje Central Lazaro Cardenas
>>
>>1199003
Why would an Uber be any safer than a taxi?
>>
>>1199652
I looked up La Casa de Los Abuelos on Google Maps and several places turned up. Do you know which one it was?
I'm curious about your pictures, if you could post them that would be great!
>>
Stupid question, but is prostitution legal there? Or would I have to go to a strip club or something?
>>
>>1200170
You're foreign ffs. Use it as an advantage.
>>
Stay away from certain areas in the east side of the city and also stay away from the metropolitan area.
>>
>>1199663
>Why would an Uber be any safer than a taxi?
I think the point about "don't use taxi advice" is that hailing a car on the street is the equivalent of looking like you aren't a native, and allows a criminal to choose you as the target. They appear random to you, but they might have zero'd in on you, or text their buddies once you assume gringo status in the backseat. When you use an app or phone to get a taxi to your location, you bypass them choosing you first, which is better than nothing, that's how Uber could be better. Since most of the scary crime is organized crime, you can be assured that waving your arms in front of the basilica, or your hotel, or in the zocalo might have you stick out like an opportunity to someone driving around trolling (or even who followed you and have already facebooked and google'd you for $$$ net worth). Paranoid, sure. Tourists do stupid things like plaza garibaldi and drunk at the same time. Don't let your guard down.

I only use hotel drivers, where there is traceable accountability, and those guys are paid well, very well, international salaries and vetted for years of service. I see the same guys for 20 years of visiting my favorite 5 hotels. I don't care if it's a $20 price vs $1. Big deal. Gas isn't cheap, and their backseat doesn't have gum on it. I wouldn't dare get on the subway, though I might use a bus if the area were okay and I knew what I was doing and there wasn't a sardine situation aboard it.
>>
>>1200528
Oh, and I should mention, random taxis in the DF all have broken shock absorption. Getting in a nicer car makes a hell of a difference on the patched potholes, and like OP traveling with friends, getting 3-4 passengers in a taxi can be tricky.
>>
>>1200170
>Stupid question, but is prostitution legal there? Or would I have to go to a strip club or something?

Oh my. Go to a dangerous country and engage in illegal behavior run by the most corrupt people in the country. No offense. But, what kind of loser are you? What's your IQ?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.