[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morocco - Marrakech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: img_4296.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
img_4296.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hi guys I don't post here much but I just wanted some advice as I'm visiting Morocco with my partner in January. I'm just curious about what to expect there and other things such as the weather, cultural quirks I won't be familiar with (we have never visited Africa) and whatever else you think is important.

Some quick info:
Man and woman, white, 24 years old
visited Turkey, Greece, Spain, Iceland, Italy, Germany, France and USA so far.

As its a muslim country I am sensitive to what will be expected of us, will my partner have to cover her head? and what are men expected to wear to be respectful? I like to keep a low profile so any advice would be super duper
>>
File: SAM_2769.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2769.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
The only time you should cover your head is if you go to little mountain villages. If you cover your head in Marrakech people will assume you're a muslim convert. Don't worry about covering arms, ankles, etc.
You should visit the mountains because you'll be there during almond blossom season. The almond trees in the villages are really beautiful.
The weather in January is great in the center/south. Marrakech should be a perfect temperature (if you go to Fes or Casablanca it's cold as balls)
>Cultural quirks
Don't eat with your left hand. Otherwise, Moroccans are used to tolerating rude tourists, especially Marrakechis.
>>
>>1197342
yeah we are going on some excursions which include the mountains I believe, thanks for the heads up :) yeah I knew it was touristry which is fine and I assumed they would have experience with very rude and disrespectful travellers, but I always like to make sure I don't rock the boat too much.

when you say left hand, do they eat with just their hands there? no cutlery? I think they do that in India too presumably because the left hand is the arse wiper but I could be wrong
>>
>>1197527
Islam has set rules about eating with your right hand. Probably because of the bathroom thing. There was quite an uproar when cutlery was first introduced in muslim countries, because you hold your fork with your left hand. I always had cutlery when expected when I was in Morocco and Iran.
>>
>>1197535
ah no problem, if they have cutlery then thats great but its cool if not, when in Rome and all that
>>
>>1197279
Prepare to be disappointed as you probably have seen the same things elsewhere but better
>>
>>1197553
such as? Like I said we have never been to Africa before so I'm not sure what to expect
>>
>>1197553
Yeah they cook a mean tajine in Iceland.
>>
Why do people go to Morroco? What is the appeal?
>>
>>1199291
I know someone who had an awesome bike trip in the Atlas. Desert and snow, 2 in 1.
>>
>>1197279
First of all: Don't worry.
Second of all: Get out of Marrakech as quick as possible.

Enjoy the mountains and the coast. Target smaller cities.
>>
>>1197279
not haven't been there personally, but close friends of mine been there (couple) and the woman said she never felt so uncomfortable in her life (no joke), only men on streets staring, scammed left and right.
>>
File: SAM_3521.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3521.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1199291
Rainbow of cultures, rainbow of ecosystems, visible history. Everything's cheap. And it's a completely alien culture within swimming distance of Europe.

>>1199438
It's the great contradiction that a lot of countries suffer from (Vietnam, India...). On the tourist route (Marrakech, Fes, the desert) you will become convinced Moroccans are the worst people on earth. Leave the tourist route (Rabat, Taroudant, the Atlas mountains) you'll swear they're the best people on earth, and fight anyone who says otherwise.
NB 98% of Moroccans do not live on the tourist route.
>>
>>1197279
Not OP but I'm also traveling to Marrakech this month and really don't know much about it. What is worth doing and what sites are worth seeing?
>>
>>1199490
The only thing I go to Marrakech for is to socialize with backpackers. There's nice historical stuff to see I guess, but the stress isn't worth it when there are hassle-free cities with much better historical stuff.
>>
>>1199500
Ditto. I spent 10 days in Morocco at the beginning of December, wish I would've left Marrakech earlier. Essaouira was much better, same stuff in the markets without being hassled by every shopkeep. On that note, however, fuck Agadir.
>>
>>1197279
>>1199490
Don't stay long in Marrakech unless you love being hassled and scammed. It's a heavy tourist area where there are many touts who make a living off this sort of thing and it doesn't represent Morocco in the least bit. Still, it's worth a look and if you haven't had any experience with bustling souks it's colourful and fun. I would tell touts and shopkeepers that I didn't bring my wallet but that I may come back if I see something I like. That way, they're a little less aggressive and willing to let me leave without blocking my way or following me.

If you get off the tourist trail, you'll find that Moroccans can be very warm and hospitable. I personally liked Essaouira, Meknes, and Chefchaouen, and though that last one is also tourist-y it's more relaxed.

My favorite experience was getting invited to a Moroccan wedding in Tangiers. The groom's family just took me in like I was a long lost relative and included me in their entrance parade to meet the bride's family. Even though it was within 40 days of Ramadan, so it was a dry wedding, everyone was dancing and singing and eating until 9 in the morning. Honestly, the colourful dresses and music made Western white dress weddings seem so drab in comparison.
>>
I think we should be fair to Marrakech, which is a vibrant and historically fascinating city:
If you are new to travel and/or don't know how to handle pushy shopkeepers/hasslers, do not go to Marrakech.
If you are an experienced traveler and are used to hassle, you will have a great time in Marrakech.

Either way, don't judge Moroccans by the people you meet in Marrakech.
>>
>>1199453
This. And it feels like a fun little quiet backwater to "the eastern world" where nothing truly bad happens.
>>
OP here, thanks for the info so far guys its been very insightful and given me a good idea of what to expect, many thanks
>>
File: Zzvet430.jpg (189KB, 430x290px) Image search: [Google]
Zzvet430.jpg
189KB, 430x290px
I would recommend going to Chefchaouen, up in the northern mountains. Absolutely beautiful blue city. Really interesting and not too touristy.

And Fes is an absolute dump. Spent a day walking around the Medina and I literally feared for my life in that third world shithole.
>>
>>1200328
You must have been there on the off-season. Try going to Chaouen during the Spanish school holidays, you can hardly move in the streets.
Doesn't matter though; if there were twice as many tourists it would still be worth visiting.
Some real assholes there, though. It's the only place in Morocco where the local hustlers have transcended 'pushy' and actually been belligerent. It's because of the drug market, of course. The drugs attract shitty tourists, who attract shitty locals.

I think you should give Fes a second chance.
>>
>>1199453
Completely alien culture? For you, maybe. I am Dutch and live in the Randstad. Go figure.
>>
>>1199291
>Nice beaches, nice surfing
>Great diversity of landscapes
>Nice hiking in the Atlas
>Literally babby's first African country, different culture with a decent level of westernization
>Cheap as fuck
>Good hashish
>I like the food too, the sweets speacially are amazing. I realize this is subjective ofc
>People are great, specially in the rural parts.
>Markets

All within swimming distance of Europe as >>1199453 pointed out
>>
can you easily rent a motorbike there for a trip to the atlas without having a license and shit?
>>
>>1197279
I was there in october
Marrakesh is pretty used to tourists so your wife won't have to cover her head but I would advise her to not wear short skirts/shorts general rule is keep your knees covered.
I would also advise her not to walk around alone to much as morrocan men like to hit on western women. If you're there they'll keep their distance though.
>>
>>1201129
Als je in marroko komt realiseer je je pas hoe goed geïntegreerd de Nederlandse marrokanen zijn
>>
We made a small roadtrip (4 germans) but as well did the bigger cities by public transport. I recommend heading to smaller cities and the Atlas or desert or coast. Be independent with a rental car or something and be aware that it can be quite hard to get beer outside big cities.
Climbing the Toubkal was fun, but I guess its not so much during winter
Bargain on anything except food!
>>
Another guy here with another question. How dangerous would it be to carry half a gram of coke from Spain to Tanger? How dangerous would it be to sniff it in the toilet of a restaurant?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.