[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Visiting the MOTHERLAND this summer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: russia.jpg (4KB, 135x90px) Image search: [Google]
russia.jpg
4KB, 135x90px
I'm planning on visiting Russia this summer with some friends. I will visit Moscow and St Petersburg and maybe do some hiking on the countryside.

My questions to anyone with Russian experience:
- How much Russian should I learn?
- Is it worth it to learn cyrillic for this short stay? (To read maps in the subway for example)
>>
>>1197199
- As much as you can, but don't panic if you don't know any. (You will just be ripped off more.)
- Yes, learn Cyrillic at least. It's easy, and will save you time. Reading menus will be quicker, too.
eg. pizza vs пиццa, vodka vs вoдкa
>>
>>1197212
Thank you.
>>
>>1197199
I was there this summer in the same two cities and I got by fine without knowing any Cyrillic.
>>
>>1197199
No need at all. Anyway, just take a Russian to your company (at couchsurf, for ex), this should solve all possible problems.
>>
>>1197199

Yeah Cyrillic is easy to learn honestly. Just do Duolingo Russian for a month and you should be basically fluent in the alphabet.
>>
>>1197861
>month
You can learn cyrillic in a few hours.
>>
I started to learn Cyrillic whilst playing DayZ. Took me about a month to learn 70%. There are still a few characters that confuse me but it was really useful when driving to stP
>>
>>1198702
>month to learn cyrillic
>only 70%
Lad…
It shouldn't take more than 5 days to learn that. It's easier to learn for latin script users.

Я нe гoвopю пo-pyccки тoжe
>>
>>1198732
I mean if he learned it while playing the game it's fine.
I learned cyrillic at school when I was 12, probably took <10 hours over the course of 2-3 weeks. Now actually learning Russian is another thing and 10 years later i'm still struggling.
>>
>>1197199
Agree with general consensus here. Learn Cyrillic - it's quick and easy. About half the letters are essentially the same as Latin script, of the rest a fair proportion look like Latin letters but have the sounds like a different Latin letter (p = r, for example) , only a few entirely new ones to deal with. Don't mix up the soft sign (which is more or less silent) with b or v, and all will be fine.

Of course...ideally you'd learn a decent amount of Russian too. But realistically - try and pick up the key words that will be useful for you - eg that you will see on signs. Although these days much of that stuff is duplicated in English in Moscow and Piter anyway. But frankly I only became even half-way fluent in Russian after studying it for two years at Uni, a summer course there, then during several months of living and working there, living with a family - on ly then did it really click. It's moderately tough..... Grammar is the problem more than the vocab
>>
This might be a stretch, but has anyone here been to the airport in Perm? If so what's it like? I'm going to be going there by train, but when I leave Russia I'll fly back to Sheremetyevo.
>>
>>1200171
Oh and one more question. I already have a visa, but I won't be staying in a hotel this time. So I can just register my visa at the post office, right?
>>
The only words you'll need to know

>cyka (soo-ka)
>blyat (bill-yet)
>blin (bleen)
>mayonnaise (mayon-yez)
>>
I'm going there in February. I can read cyrillic. Many words in Russian sound like their English equivalent, so I guess it'll help us. Not freezing my balls off will be harder I guess.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.