[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saint Piran's Day, Cornwall, UK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: cernwall.png (5KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
cernwall.png
5KB, 1280x853px
I'm going to be in the UK early next year, and I know in advance that I've got weekends off from work. I've read about St. Piran's Day in Cornwall, and it looks amazing, but I can't find out where exactly to go for the coolest displays.

>where should I go in Cornwall?
>any links to Facebook events or tourist pages with times and maps?
>other Cornish cultural sites?

My main project for living in the UK over the next couple years is to make an interesting travel video exploring separatism and regionalism, from Druid and Pagan prehistory to the patron Saints of the region and modern political separatists.

Cornwall is more interesting to me than Scotland because everyone's heard of Scots who want independence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjPnbwdYbrA
>>
File: Mount-Causeway2_1200x500.jpg (141KB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
Mount-Causeway2_1200x500.jpg
141KB, 1200x500px
Wow I live in Cornwall! Finally a thread I can contribute to!
I can't say much about good places to go for St Piran's Day but they'll likely have something going on in Truro (the only city in Cornwall) or St Austell or Penzance maybe.

Ok so just off the top of my head here are a few good "must see" things

>The north coast beaches/cliffs
The beaches along the north coast of Cornwall are beautiful in the summer. But are also kind of busy too. I would highly recommend Trebarwith Strand, it's a pretty big beach with these huge dynamic cliffs, and a neat little pub too.
>St Austell Brewery
St Austell is a pretty shit town, but it's beer is famous around the UK. Doombar is one of my favorites. You could probably get a tour of the brewery if you're interested too.
>Bodmin Moor
I love just walking around Bodmin Moor. Brown willy is the the highest point in Cornwall, it's not very high really, and it's more of a glorified hill but it sure is a nice one. I like to go camping on Bodmin moor a lot but be careful because there are a lot of random hidden bogs which are VERY dangerous. Buy an Ordinance survey map, that might help.
>Bodmin Jail
If you're into cool spooky things Bodmin Jail is a must see. You can do night tours and stuff sometimes, however I would recommend showing up like an hour before they close and just waiting around for everyone to clear out. Then you have the whole jail to yourself in the dark for as long as you decide to leave. However if you stay past, like, midnight they might come in and ask you to leave.
>St Micheal's Mount
St Micheal's mount is nice if you like old historical houses/castles. It's built on an island and you can only walk to it during low tide. (pic related)
>Lanhydrock house
another cool historic national trust historic house place. It's basically this huge grand Victorian manor house which has been very well preserved. It also has some pretty amazing gardens.

(cont.)
>>
File: Tintagel%20c%20IDS%20Photos.jpg (593KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Tintagel%20c%20IDS%20Photos.jpg
593KB, 1024x768px
(cont.)

>Boscastle
I really like this cute little town, mostly for the museum of witchcraft they've got. So again if you're interested in cool spooky things I would highly recommend this place. Boscastle also has some really nice shops.
>Tintagel
Another really nice town with cool shops, however this place is most famous for Tintagel Castle. Supposedly this was actually the castle of which the King Arthur myth came from. Right now it's just ruins but they're really cool ruins in the cliffs. (pic related)
>Cardinham Woods
If you like easy woodland walks this place is great. It's a small pine forest near bodmin moor but it's perfect for small easy trail walks. There's also a nice cafe there
>Lands End
this is an obvious one. Make sure to check out the Minack theater when you're there.
>Truro
as previously stated, this is the only city in Cornwall and I think it's only considered a city due the to it's impressive cathedral in the center. It's the smallest city you'll ever see and is more like a large town with a cathedral. It's a nice place to go shopping though
>Fowey
one of many small seaside towns along the south coast. Another is Mevagissey. They're both very similar.
>Restormel Castle
Another castle ruin, it's a lot smaller and less impressive than Tintagel but if you like castle ruins I'd recommend it. A few others worth noting are Pendennis Castle, Trematon Castle and Launceston Castle.
>Eden Project
This is a very famous well known tourist attraction here in Cornwall It's basically just two huge domes with jungles inside them. It was built in an old quarry. In the winter they have Ice Skating and they often have bands perform here too.

Anyway that's all I could think of just off the top of my head, I'll be sure to post more stuff if I remember anything. Might I ask where you're from? If you're not from the UK I sure would be interested in knowing about whatever country you're from.
>>
File: piran.jpg (515KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
piran.jpg
515KB, 1600x1066px
>>1196226
>>1196223
A lot of great advice, I'm writing this down, thanks! At first I thought Cornwall would be one or two weekends, but I think I'll be there a lot.

I'm from Georgia, in the military and got orders saying my first base is going to be pretty close to Cornwall, and I'm hoping I can check it out in time for Piran's Day if I put my savings into a car pretty soon after I get there. It looks like the UK is packed with history and comfy towns, I have a feeling I'm going to love it. So far the military has been awesome, I've never been able to travel like this before.

>North coast beaches and cliffs
I'm pretty sure that's where St. Piran's Cross is, there's a procession of thousands of people from the beach to the ruins, and they've just been excavated so that'll be cool.
>Bodmin Moor, Cardinham Woods
Absolutely love hiking and the outdoors, they look beautiful. Eagle Scout here, that shit's my jam, yo.
>>
>>1196101
>from Druid and Pagan prehistory
It's a little offtopic, but before you get sucked into lies, there is actually ABSOLUTELY NOTHING known about Druids other than the word Druid/druidae. It is all fabricated history, and other than their possible supposed existence, as mentioned by Roman writers, there is nothing else known about them whatsoever. There has been no archaelogical finds, no texts, no ideas about worship or priests, origins, nothing at all, zilch, zero. It's all nonsense drummed up from false texts, that were repeated and rehashed falsely. Even the Roman/Greek mentions were all repeated from a single entry by a single writer.

So, before you make your video, don't be foolish and fall into the same trap.
>>
>>1196293
I mean I love the stone circles and megaliths and how they were incorporated into British history and myth and Christianized. I love culture and religion, but yeah I've heard that Paganism, Wicca and Druidism were suppressed for so long that people don't know a thing about them. It's still cool and interesting to see people dancing around in their weird cloaks. I knew a "Wiccan," he was a green garden witch. Something else, man.
>>
>>1196296
>Wicca
And see, this was made up in the 1940s.
>Paganism
Only interesting to understand how it was indeed incorporated into holidays and other customs to appease people. Otherwise, really, it's just a form of rebelliousness and a desire for controlling others.
>>
>>1196296
So far as paganism is concerned that isn't really true at all, pagan traditions were still a major part of English culture until as recently as the 16th century since in an effort to promote Christianity existing traditions were tolerated and reframed in a Christian light. Only really after the reformation and protestant ideology took hold did things like worshipping of artefacts become unacceptable.

Even now we keep a lot of it in our Bonfire Night, Halloween and Christmas traditions.
>>
>>1196275
Can you source that please
>>
>>1196807
Sure
https://www.visitcornwall.com/whats-on/traditional-cultural/north-coast/perranporth/st-pirans-day-celebrations-cornwall
>>
I am from Perranporth and that kw were St Piran first came ashore from Ireland. Join the presesion in the sand dunes, I see it every year and have never been but it will be fun.
>>
>>1199306
I might have to make it next year if my orders get messed up, sometimes paperwork issues are weird here. But I'll definitely check it out!

Also, I found another place in Cornwall called Madron Well, a clootie well where people leave colored rags rotting, tied around tree branches. I think that could be interesting. But St. Piran's day is a must.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.