[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We want to travel through iran, central asia and mongolia by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: main6.jpg (181KB, 697x328px) Image search: [Google]
main6.jpg
181KB, 697x328px
We want to travel through iran, central asia and mongolia by car next summer.

Anyone who did something similar want to share experiences, tips etc?

Also, some specific questions:

What do we do if our car breaks down in the middle of nowhere? can we expect some helpful people coming along our way within a few hours/less than a few days? (in case we cant fix it ourselves and have no way to contact anybody)

Will we be able to do the pamir highway with an ordinary car or is it only accesible with suvs etc?

How likely are we to actually get killed by mines in central asia? (especially on the pamir highway)

Is there any trekking infrastructre, like people offering guided tours and such?

thanks guise
>>
>>1196002
I'm planning to do the Mongol Rally when I get out of the military in 4 years. Look at the videos on Youtube people make of that, they're inspiring and informative.

>car breaks down
Get some basic car knowledge, let it cool before you attempt to drive, be careful where you are, and get help from locals when people come along. The good thing about remote roads is that even though it'll be a few hours, most drivers realize people who are stuck need help.

>contact relatives
Get one of those SOS beacons. You push a button and they come to help. It's ONLY if you're on the verge of starving because that is life-or-death and they charge you for use of emergency services. Never heard of anyone needing it on the route.

>Pamir Hwy
Idk, I've seen it done on the Mongol Rally with Ladas, Trabants, Yugos and all sorts of beaters. Your ride WILL break down though.

>Mines
Consider going around. There's a lot of freaky, otherworldly stuff in Kazakhstan, and you can always just dip into the other -stans for shits and giggles.

>Guided tours
You'll be driving through so many mountains idk if you'd want to hike.
>>
Where will you apply for your Turkmen transit visa?
>>
>>1196122

We also thought about doing the Mongol Rally, but we came to the conclusion taht we dont want to have their limitations forced upon us and rather do our own thing.

>even though it'll be a few hours
Thats what Im worrying about. If someone passes you every few hours, things dont sound that dangerous but I wonder if its actually hours or days you would have to wait (eg on a mongolian dirt road).
The beacon sounds like a great idea though.

>Consider going around.
Actually, Kazakhstan seems much less interresting to us than the other stans.

>You'll be driving through so many mountains idk if you'd want to hike.
Driving through a lot of mountains and then not hiking there sounds awful to me.

>>1196184
At the Turkmen embassy in my country, which happens to be rather close to my home.
>>
>>1196222
>At the Turkmen embassy in my country, which happens to be rather close to my home.
Being? Turkmen transit visa are said to be hard to get. I'm curious about this.
>>
>>1196231
Some Country in europe id prefer not to disclose.

As far as im informed they are rather easy to get for people from my country, dont know about other countries though.
>>
>>1196231
Not OP, but note that it's easy to get basically any visa with a European passport.
The only hassle Turkmenistan gave some of my friends is that the visa wasn't ready when they said it would be ready, basically they forgot... But it's like, you just sit, wait, and you get it. It's only a hassle if you live far from the embassy.
>>
>>1196242
Please tell us anon.

>>1196251
>Not OP, but note that it's easy to get basically any visa with a European passport.
Turkmenistan seems to randomly deny people.
>>
>>1196222
Kazakhstan has a lot of interesting stuff for me.
>irradiated crater lakes that you have to wear a moonsuit to visit
>nuclear test sites you can just fucking drive through
>abandoned cities and military bases
>Aralsk, the Aral Sea with shipping freighters in the middle of the desert, farmers pointlessly keeping them clean of rust for decades hoping the water comes back

As far as being stranded, bring supplies. Water and high-calorie stuff that's non-perishable. Maybe a lot of slim-jims, jerkey, etc

>Turkmen visa
From what I hear, even with the transit visa you have to know the exact date you arrive at the border. Which could mess you up if you decided to spend a day in another -stan, or blew a tire. Although if visas are easy for you I'm guessing you're Ukraine or Belarus?
>>
>>1196281
>abandoned cities and military bases
Please tell us more.
>>
>>1196337
Kazakhstan is one of the stereotypical places to point the finger at for the Soviet Union being hell. The Soviets set up a military base called the Polygon, at Semipalatinsk ("Semi,") and it was a closed city area. They tested nukes and the civilian population was in the fallout field. They couldn't leave because there were travel restrictions on Semey, and I remember reading NatGeo or Smithsonian saying 1/20 Kazakhs from the whole country are born with debilitating mutations.

Voz Island is abandoned and was used to test smallpox and anthrax, but it's iffy if you can go there because it's half in Uzbekistan that'll nab you. The communities around the Aral Sea are abandoned because the entire ocean dried up (commies thought it a good idea to redirect all the water, now the shoreline is 50 miles out and still receding)

Just look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAoSUIASET0

>Reds nuke the ground near a small river to make a crater they can use as a lake
>Tell the locals that it's fine and safe for them to swim in and drink (see 4:05)

Now watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMnph2CXt8

A scientist is literally shitting himself as he walks near it, his Geiger counter is screaming. It's still a tourist attraction.

Long live Kazakhstan! The real traveler destination!
>>
I heard that Mongolia now wants you to make a pretty high deposit when entering by car and doesnt accept a carnet the passage for that.

Is that true? Coz it sounds like a real dealbreaker to me.
>>
>>1196388
Holy shit. Thanks for the info.
>>
Create thread when you will get to Central Asia
>>
I'm also interested in experiences and tips. My plans involve making the journey from Central Europe to Kyrgyzstan without using commercial flights.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.