[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Drive Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Minnesotaflag.jpg (164KB, 860x728px) Image search: [Google]
Minnesotaflag.jpg
164KB, 860x728px
I'm planning on driving from California to Minnesota in about a month. What things to I need to prepare for? I know very little in the ways of traveling. To give you an example, I didn't know I was going to need a passport to get across borders, or that I needed an undercoat for my car in the snow. Anything You can tell me that would be helpful is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1195168
You don't need a passport to travel from California to Minnesota.

Also an undercoat is recommended but you don't need one if you get your car washed every 10 days or so. (undercoat is probably less expensive depending on how long you're staying in Minnesota). How long do you plan to spend?
>>
>>1195168
>>1195169
I'm actually planning on moving there. I have a buddy who's living up there right now. We're gonna find a house and move in together.
>>
Always good to check your oil level and tire pressure beforehand. If you feel yourself starting to get tired, pull over and take a nap. Snacks, music/podcasts, and rolling down the windows helps too.

Also good to know how to change a tire, and to have a pair of jumper cables in the trunk.

Just some random tips. Anything in particular you're concerned about?
>>
>>1195168
If you feel sleepy while driving, stop at the closest turnout and rest for about 30 minutes. It may save your life.
>>
>>1195168
If you are starting from SF, getting pass the California Sierra is gonna be a challenge. Prepare for snow chains.

It is a long ass drive. Load up audio books.
>>
>>1195168
I live in MN enjoy the ice and cold weather thats about all your getting. Now till april
>>
>>1195168
Made the same trip last year from LA to twin cities for a job.

Make sure to have spare tires/crank and jumper cables. I basically drove through Utah and Colorado in the winter with minimum prep and deeply regretted not preparing more. I even busted a tire while trying to rest on the side of the road; forcing me to panic drive back to the closest malmart to get a new tire.

Be sure to take full advantage of the rest stops, bring plenty of ready-to-eat food or military MRE rations. Don't skimp out on water.

Stretch frequently and avoid driving through the night, especially if you're about to head over a mountain pass. Bring plenty of music or audiobooks to keep you alert and prevent highewqy hypnosis or dozing off while driving.
>>
>Passport
You're talking about the Canadian border, I hope.

For big drives I just download a shitload of Pimsleur courses and Librivox Audiobooks. It helps if you own an iTrip
>>
Frequent long haul driver here OP, Minnesota to Cali is not that bad of a run. What time of year are you going to do this? I would avoid the mountains in that case.

I like driving earlier in the morning because I feel like I cover more ground than later in the day. Stock up on snacks and water in the car. To keep your mind busy with audio books and podcasts, and to a lesser extent music.

Best advice I can give you is that if you are not in a rush just to take it easy and don't push yourself. The road - especially in winter time - can be really dangerous and is not to be taken lightly.
>>
>>1195995
Are you the guy that used to truck with his GF and then drove to like BC or somewhere to drive a national park your bus?
>>
>>1196119
*tour bus
>>
>>1195168
What car do you drive? Most people don't do undercoats unless they really treasure their car. As said before, just wash it every other week or not at all, depending on how much you care. Some cars rust worse than others. Also welcome to Minnesota in advance.
>>
Thread reminds me of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWIqymxz3S8
>>
>he thinks he needs a passport to travel from state to state

Forget it. You're going to die before you even make it to the front lines.

>>1195174
Sounds gay m8
>>
>>1195168
>What things to I need to prepare for? I know very little in the ways of traveling.
For a long drive, I would definitely have a tune-up of my car, if it is older than 5years old, or if I knew I was going rural, I might just rent one, just not to have a single repair cost on my trip. I would have an up to date AAA Motor club membership so I didn't get gigged $350 for a tow. Also, in my own car, I always have an car lighter battery jump/tire inflator, and check for your jack and jumper cables in there as well.
A cooler is great to have some car snacks filled up with ice from your last night's hotel, when the food choices are lousy. Whole fruit, some chicken salad, drinks and such. A great car charger for phones to use WAZE app which can drain faster than your phone can charge. Being somewhere with spotty cell coverage (if known), then you'll probably enjoy a Magellen or other GPS more than a phone app which are better in city traffic only.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.