[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

St. Petersburg or Moscow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1479699081099.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479699081099.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
I'm planning a trip to Russia, which city would be better to stay in?
>>
>>1194674
I see little reason not to visit both. Petersburg is much more beautiful on the surface, but with less history and a vaguely less Russian character--it was an early 18th-century planned city designed to emulate European capitals farther West. Moscow is uglier, bigger, and more sprawling, but also older and vaguely more Russian (although not as much as the cities of the Golden Ring, which are easier to reach from there than Petersburg). I also think that there's more going on culturally and artistically in Moscow. But it's a bit more expensive, too (both are expensive, but decent accommodation in Moscow is really extortionate).

I like Moscow better, personally, but think Petersburg may offer the short-term visitor a better experience--you have to dig a little deeper to get the best bits of Moscow.

Tough call, I guess.
>>
>>1194723
Well my plan is to have a 17 day trip, Starting in Lviv for 3 nights, kiev for 3 nights, and mInsk for 1 night, that leaves me 10 days, I will definitely visit both cities, but I'm trying to decide on which one to main out of.

And that's where Moscow draws me in, is that it is apart of the Golden Ring, so Vladimir and those other places would only be a quickish train ride away

Most people i've talked to all said Moscow, so thats probably what i'll do
>>
>>1194849
>Vladimir
Honestly, Suzdal is much more comfy, has nearly zero commieblocks and has better tourist infrastructure. The main problem is the transport, the only available public transportation is old soviet bus from Vladimir. Also, prices are high and hotels may be fully reserved for New Year holidays period.

Overall, I'd say that Moscow and surrounding area is more about traditional Russia, while St.Pete is palaces and shiet
>>
>>1194674
How does Moscow have more history and culture than St Petersburg? I've spent a total of few weeks in both cities and I wholeheartdly disagree with you, particularly about St Petersburg having less history. I had to reread your post because I thought you had made a mistake.
>>
>>1194968
That was actually a reply for >>1194723
>>
>>1194968
Technically, Moscow is almost 3 times older. There is more interesting historical stuff to see in Petersburg, though.
>>
Well i've been hearing that St. Petersburg was more western of a city, because Peter the Great loved Western shit >>1194968

I also know that st. petersburg is the cultural capital of russia
>>
>>1194968
There is a ton of important cultural stuff in Petersburg, of course--when I said I thought there was more going on culturally in Moscow I meant contemporary culture. There are more and better artists, designers, musicians, etc., and better nightlife.

But for museums and architecture and that sort of stuff, sure. Petersburg is a great choice.

On the history side I was speaking mostly chronologically--when Petersburg was still an uninhabited lakeside swamp people had been living in Moscow for nearly 600 years. But the historical stuff is harder to find because the city is so huge. The historical center of Petersburg is much, much newer and smaller, but also better preserved.
>>
>>1194674
Come to think of it, it's quite easy:

Summer -> St.P
Winter -> Moscow
>>
>>1194674
As a Russian I'd probably suggest Petersburg.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.